Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

View Poll Results: Option Tyre?
yes bring it in it will bring more passing. 22 75.86%
couldn't care. 4 13.79%
no don't want it, it will stuff things up. 3 10.34%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Old 19 Jun 2007, 15:30 (Ref:1941755)   #51
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Surely its all contrived enough as is?
Old 19 Jun 2007, 23:50 (Ref:1942141)   #52
RotorFan
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
RotorFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As long as it is an option, not a compulsory option like F1's became.

Fabrizio Giovanardi: I have like a banana - is the yellow car in front - that make me, you know, running like the monkey, running for the banana. When I see yellow in front, I just pushing harder and harder. I want that banana.
Old 20 Jun 2007, 01:25 (Ref:1942178)   #53
v8smoker
Racer

Bahrain
tent
v8smoker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotorFan
As long as it is an option, not a compulsory option like F1's became.
It would be compulsory, with limited tyres for the weekend you would have no choice but to use them.

If you think it will make the racing better keep dreaming, same few will win each week.No other changes have helped why do you think this would
Old 20 Jun 2007, 01:44 (Ref:1942184)   #54
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
What is the rule about the use of the "option" tyre though? A full set to be used like in F1/ChampCar, or do you give the teams the choice of sprinkling them amongst the regular tyre?

Why not use the "option" tyre for qualifying only? Show how fast they can go on sticky rubber.... Would make the top 10 at Bathurst a real contest....
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 24 Jun 2007, 02:54 (Ref:1945243)   #55
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
If R2 in Darwin is anything to go by, the teams dont need an 'option' tyre.

They just need new tyres on the car.

Frosty had the crash in R1, and had the 3 sets intact (other than practice/qualifying) and effectively, with good strategy but much better car pace (i.e. consistency) has leapt into the top 10.

Do we want to see these cars struggling for grip at the end of each race?

If not... then why not 2 sets of tyres to play in practice, then a fresh 6 for each race.. and not reused....

Tyre bill skyrockets... perhaps... is that a problem, or can Pirelli drop the price on the basis of the volume?
Old 24 Jun 2007, 08:03 (Ref:1945321)   #56
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Pro Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
oopps, sorry double post having trouble with my broadband.

Last edited by Pro Racer; 24 Jun 2007 at 08:08.
Old 24 Jun 2007, 08:06 (Ref:1945322)   #57
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
the frosty situation was interesting, also god of him to talk during the SC period.
Old 24 Jun 2007, 08:17 (Ref:1945329)   #58
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro Racer
the frosty situation was interesting, also god of him to talk during the SC period.
Interesting to hear during the broadcast Mr Winterbottom has signed to FPR for 3 more seasons... I was rather hoping he might replace Rusty at SBR
Old 24 Jun 2007, 08:33 (Ref:1945336)   #59
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
me to, maybe if Caltex left SBR aswell Frosty could bring Orrcon .
Old 27 Apr 2009, 07:01 (Ref:2450402)   #60
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Since we have the Option Tyre making its appearance this weekend.... are teams required to run all 4 soft tyres on the car at the same time, or can they mix it up a little.

For example, if they were running in Hamilton, a team may only take on 2 tyres instead of 4 for time efficiency... is that allowed in the new world, to mix a pair of hards with a pair of softs?

I can recall back in the GSR-Bridgestone heyday where Mr Seton would run with different compounds and/or constructions on each corner of the car... which made it do things other cars in the field just didnt...

Could this come back again.. a soft tyre on the unweighted/less stressed corners and the hards on the others?

What happens if a car gets a flat tyre, do they have to change all 4 tyres?

So many questions... so little clarity....

Pink for Practice
Old 27 Apr 2009, 07:31 (Ref:2450426)   #61
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
for a good cause great stuff.

all 4 have to be on the car at the same time.
Old 27 Apr 2009, 09:59 (Ref:2450510)   #62
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
the Kelly's opinion

"Jack Daniel’s Racing drivers Todd and Rick Kelly are predicting more passing – and more accidents – when a softer ‘option’ tyre is introduced into V8 Supercar competition for the first time at Winton Motor Raceway in rural Victoria this weekend."
Old 28 Apr 2009, 00:54 (Ref:2451188)   #63
RotorFan
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
RotorFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro Racer View Post
all 4 have to be on the car at the same time.
Yeah I remember hearing that at some point too, but wasn't sure. Can't find any information about it now, even in the regs.

Fabrizio Giovanardi: I have like a banana - is the yellow car in front - that make me, you know, running like the monkey, running for the banana. When I see yellow in front, I just pushing harder and harder. I want that banana.
Old 28 Apr 2009, 01:15 (Ref:2451198)   #64
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Been looking for the regs myself - the Supp regs for Winton (which is where the rules for use of the option tyre would be) aren't up on the supercar site although there is a further reg up for Winton.

Probably an oversight but a bit frustrating. I'll just be patient and wait for the weekend when I'm sure the commentators will explain it.
Old 7 May 2009, 15:12 (Ref:2457300)   #65
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Interesting view
Old 8 May 2009, 02:14 (Ref:2457657)   #66
FalconEL
Racer

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland
FalconEL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Ahhhh, another Greg Murphy whinge.....

He's forgetting one thing though, if everyone has access to better "base" rubber, everyone would be quicker (not just him) and he would still end up 20th!

He's assuming that he is a better racer than the other guys which is certainly debatable......
"I still can't spin the wheels all the way down the straight in high gear", Mark Donohue (The Unfair Advantage) commenting to the Porsche engineers on the 1100hp 1973 Can-Am Porsche 917-30 when asked whether the car has enough horsepower yet!!
Old 8 May 2009, 02:32 (Ref:2457668)   #67
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
FFS seriously can the guy say his opinion without it being labeled a whinge. everyone has an opinion just like you & me he voiced his opinion as he has always done and good on him for that.
Old 8 May 2009, 02:53 (Ref:2457677)   #68
Go Harder.
Racer

Australia
Somewhere in the sticks...
Go Harder. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconEL View Post
Ahhhh, another Greg Murphy whinge.....

So HERE is the same "whinge" from the blue side... So we have parity on the debate now
Old 8 May 2009, 03:15 (Ref:2457684)   #69
FalconEL
Racer

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland
FalconEL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro Racer View Post
FFS seriously can the guy say his opinion without it being labeled a whinge. everyone has an opinion just like you & me he voiced his opinion as he has always done and good on him for that.
The bloke consistently whinges about his car and his car setup (both of which one would hope he has some influence over).

Pro, do you honestly believe the supply of a better (softer) control tyre for the category will help Murphy's cause?

Back on topic though, I think the mixture of compounds (the Cr@p Tyre that 20 or so other guys seem to be using to better effect than Spud and the new Soft option), is a good thing for the Series as it seems to have generated some passing on the track for a change!
"I still can't spin the wheels all the way down the straight in high gear", Mark Donohue (The Unfair Advantage) commenting to the Porsche engineers on the 1100hp 1973 Can-Am Porsche 917-30 when asked whether the car has enough horsepower yet!!
Old 8 May 2009, 04:43 (Ref:2457697)   #70
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconEL View Post
The bloke consistently whinges about his car and his car setup (both of which one would hope he has some influence over).

Pro, do you honestly believe the supply of a better (softer) control tyre for the category will help Murphy's cause?

Back on topic though, I think the mixture of compounds (the Cr@p Tyre that 20 or so other guys seem to be using to better effect than Spud and the new Soft option), is a good thing for the Series as it seems to have generated some passing on the track for a change!
no it won't help HIS cause as such his car is a bucket of bolts, done. but the likes of Tander & others have shared the same view in the past that on the current tyre they slide around and the inconsistancy of the tyre gives them zilch in confidence to shove it down the inside as when they do they slide into the other car or lock up and the same fate occurrs. if they had more grip they would be more confident of putting the car in places to pass with less risk of sliding all over the place and locking a brake.

Murph in that situation wasn't sooking about nothing he was probably asked a question about the tyres so he has answered it, it's his opinion that the softer tyre gives them more confidence to put a move on. i don't see sooking anywhere in it.
Old 8 May 2009, 05:17 (Ref:2457707)   #71
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
19" Michelins please... with the accompanying price tag.. to go from $1200 a set to $2500 a set overnight!
Old 31 May 2009, 09:35 (Ref:2472531)   #72
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
it's lasting too long. it's a good tyre as it gives them confidence to pass and there has been great battles between cars all on softs and nice passing, it's lasting atleast half of the main race and pretty much all of the short race, the best are still rising to the top either way. how about just racing on the soft tyre at sprint rounds and keep the current prime tyre for the enduro's and the other 2 500 events (Clipsal and Homebush). what do you guys think? or leave it as is?
Old 31 May 2009, 21:46 (Ref:2472952)   #73
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
If the soft tyre lasts too long, it doesnt say much for the prime tyre bedrock specials they usually run on!
Old 1 Jun 2009, 03:14 (Ref:2473086)   #74
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
exactly and atleast with this tyre they have the confidence to pass and have a red hot go. the cream of the crop still rise to the top with the current system, Tander, Whincup win races. yes the current system might give a niff nuff a chance of a top 10 at best.
Old 1 Jun 2009, 04:12 (Ref:2473100)   #75
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
If the soft tyre lasts too long, it doesnt say much for the prime tyre bedrock specials they usually run on!
I would bet the family jewels on them not lasting the distance in Darwin!