Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 29 Oct 2014, 15:02 (Ref:3469721)   #826
Dodge_Swinger
Racer

United States
International Space Station
Dodge_Swinger should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDodge_Swinger should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
There are no technical articles about ANY DP on the Mulsanne's Corner web site. There are wonderful in-depth articles about cars that never even raced, such as the Allard J2X. (One of the best looking cars I've ever seen.)

It's not just that the DP formula isn't technically interesting, it is purposely designed to be "boring", as in little to no technical difference between the various types of DP in order to keep everything as equal as possible.

When I read the stories of long-term drivers like Hans Stuck, one of the more interesting aspects is their description of what it was like to drive a particular car in comparison to other cars of an era. "The (insert car name here) was bloody quick, but I never shook the idea that it was constantly trying to kill me" or "it wasn't the fastest car, but it was very reliable", etc.

Is there an article anywhere that compares the different DP chassis and describes the strengths and weaknesses of each? Does a Coyote handle better or differently than a Riley? Is a Coyote easier to work on than a Dallara? Why do teams select one brand of DP over another?

I doubt there are any significant performance advantages of one DP over another, but I'm open to being educated on the subject. Many DP apologists have been pretty adamant about how the cars are not spec, so I'd like to read some information on how the cars are different. If they ARE different from each other, then there must be significant and quantifiable differences in the way the cars behave, aside from whatever powerplant is used. (Even then, with mandated torque curves, etc., there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of difference.)
Old 29 Oct 2014, 15:38 (Ref:3469735)   #827
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
^

http://content.yudu.com/Library/A1vg...sources/12.htm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Louth
"The development between the chassis manufacturers is really relegated to mechanical suspension, dampers, springs and other related systems, but the body is pretty much fixed"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Louth
"All the Corvette bodies, regardless of what chassis they're on, are identical. All the wetted surfaces, all the important bits: ducts; front under wing; sidepods; rear deck; rear wing mounts are all identical. That is one of the objectives Grand-Am set. They wanted to balance a Corvette with generic Riley Gen 3 body with a Gen 2 Dallara body, or whatever else. They want all the Corvettes to be the same. So when they were looking at adjustments for tuning devices or balance performance mechanisms, they can be applied across the board to all Corvettes. That's an important part of this."
Does it really matter what chassis they're on since
A) They're bopped according to bodywork (& engine) meaning that the effect of chassis difference is minimal / non-existent
B) Gen3 cars may have a specific name issued by the OEM and chassis Constructor’s name is not required.
Old 29 Oct 2014, 15:46 (Ref:3469739)   #828
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Patiently waiting for the GarraFans rebuttal.

I really like the tone Dodge_Swinger takes---I cannot be quite so objective myself. His questions are right on point--and even though I have some pretty strong opinions, I will read whatever facts might be posted with an open mind.

Last edited by Maelochs; 29 Oct 2014 at 15:54.
Old 29 Oct 2014, 16:39 (Ref:3469753)   #829
Nick Woodbury
Veteran

United States
New England
Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
Patiently waiting for the GarraFans rebuttal.

Hmm, what ever happened to ACFlinn? Or Ncrdbl1 for that matter? They seemed to favor the DP Formula.
Old 29 Oct 2014, 16:42 (Ref:3469754)   #830
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Canada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge_Swinger View Post
It's not just that the DP formula isn't technically interesting, it is purposely designed to be "boring", as in little to no technical difference between the various types of DP in order to keep everything as equal as possible.
That is because in stock cars the drivers are the stars of a redneck soap opera, the exact opposite of sportscar racing and F1 (used to be).
Old 29 Oct 2014, 17:24 (Ref:3469769)   #831
BullMan
Veteran

BullMan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Woodbury View Post
Hmm, what ever happened to ACFlinn? Or Ncrdbl1 for that matter? They seemed to favor the DP Formula.
Ncrdbl seems to come and go from Racer comments. Still spewing the same false BS though.
Old 30 Oct 2014, 20:23 (Ref:3470053)   #832
Dodge_Swinger
Racer

United States
International Space Station
Dodge_Swinger should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDodge_Swinger should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
^

http://content.yudu.com/Library/A1vg...sources/12.htm

Does it really matter what chassis they're on since
A) They're bopped according to bodywork (& engine) meaning that the effect of chassis difference is minimal / non-existent
B) Gen3 cars may have a specific name issued by the OEM and chassis Constructor’s name is not required.
Interesting article, particularly about how pretty much the only difference between the chassis boils down to bolt-on things like dampers, etc. It was certainly a cost-effective way for Corvette to get their name listed alongside the likes of Audi as the overall winner of races like Petit. As mentioned earlier by Maleochs, in 20 years, no one is going to care enough to know the difference.

I'll still go to Petit next year, though. Just have to find something to wear other than the chicken suit...........