Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 21 Sep 2015, 05:09 (Ref:3576859)   #1
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
James Phelps Discussion Thread (Merged)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatCoch View Post
The Renee Gracie / Simona De Silvestro pair are excellent news for the sport, in my opinion.

Females are under represented in motorsport, so if their presence on the grid can inspire other females to follow them into the sport that can only be a good thing.

They've also got a front running car, thanks to De Silvestro. When the call was made to run a wildcard Gracie's manager contacted her, and she was keen but insisted she had input into what car they can and who they were affiliated with. She then went off and did her homework and came back wanted a link up with PRA. The car they'll be racing is actually the chassis Chaz Mostert used at the KL demonstration. It's a two-year deal too so they'll have the same opportunities next year, with equally front running machinery.

But realistically I don't think their result matters in the slightest. Provided they can keep the thing out of the wall and are somewhere near the pace, which I imagine they would be, then that's as good as a win. There is a picture far bigger than Gracie and De Silvestro with this one and whatever you may think of Harvey Norman I think it's incredibly positive that big business is getting behind them.
Testing & Learning Process

Sounds like acclimatising is going to be a very structured, very disciplined approach...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 21 Sep 2015, 06:16 (Ref:3575610)   #2
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Testing & Learning Process

Sounds like acclimatising is going to be a very structured, very disciplined approach...
What is a Supercar Enforcer? Gee they write some utter garbage.
Old 21 Sep 2015, 07:41 (Ref:3575621)   #3
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Spelling and grammar wasn't too flash either.
Old 21 Sep 2015, 07:51 (Ref:3575623)   #4
mikuni
Veteran

mikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
What is a Supercar Enforcer? Gee they write some utter garbage.
It is an embarrassingly poor article.

I really think Phelps is stuck in the past, in what V8 Supercars was ten years ago, and if they want to move forward, getting rid of him from writing garbage for semi-reputable outlets would be a great start.
Old 21 Sep 2015, 08:57 (Ref:3575637)   #5
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
James Phelps

oh look a james phelps article, out come the trolls who attack the messenger and not discuss the article
Old 21 Sep 2015, 09:15 (Ref:3575642)   #6
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
oh look a james phelps article, out come the trolls who attack the messenger and not discuss the article
I discussed it and yes it is utter garbage and a poor reflection on V8 Supercars. If you think that is good journalism then so be it, I don't.
Old 21 Sep 2015, 10:02 (Ref:3575650)   #7
mikuni
Veteran

mikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I seem to be one of the few on here that agree with a lot of what you say, but this just does not make any sense. Read the article, it is just shocking. I do admit I don't like the way Phelps writes, but I honestly wouldn't have a go at an article he wrote if I agreed with what was written.
Old 21 Sep 2015, 11:49 (Ref:3576547)   #8
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikuni View Post
I seem to be one of the few on here that agree with a lot of what you say, but this just does not make any sense. Read the article, it is just shocking. I do admit I don't like the way Phelps writes, but I honestly wouldn't have a go at an article he wrote if I agreed with what was written.
I just get bored of every time a Phelps article is linked posters go on a rampage about him rather than discuss the article. Yes we know people don't like his writing, but they dont need to tell us every time he gets linked. This is motorsport forum not an english teacher forum

anyway Supercheap Auto Bathurst 1000 is coming, however on Saturday night I collected on Chaz finishing on the podium at Bathurst last year, Got great odds at $21, Imagine how good they were for the win
Old 21 Sep 2015, 15:34 (Ref:3575769)   #9
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Phelps is a tool, if he upped the quality of his writings instead of being a mouthpiece for V8 Supercars then people would actually have time for his scribblings. As far as labelling people trolls, maybe one should not throw stones if they live in a glasshouse...........
Old 22 Sep 2015, 06:50 (Ref:3575937)   #10
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I just get bored of every time a Phelps article is linked posters go on a rampage about him rather than discuss the article. Yes we know people don't like his writing, but they dont need to tell us every time he gets linked. This is motorsport forum not an english teacher forum
When Peter McKay writes an article do you (and some certain others) discuss the article or the author?
Old 23 Sep 2015, 13:59 (Ref:3576365)   #11
numbnuts
Rookie

numbnuts should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich07 View Post
Phelps is a tool, if he upped the quality of his writings instead of being a mouthpiece for V8 Supercars then people would actually have time for his scribblings. As far as labelling people trolls, maybe one should not throw stones if they live in a glasshouse...........
seconded .
Old 24 Sep 2015, 04:30 (Ref:3576546)   #12
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
oh look another James Phelp bash.

We should start a thread
Old 24 Sep 2015, 05:01 (Ref:3576549)   #13
Average Punter
Veteran

Australia
a drug store in Wagga
Average Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAverage Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAverage Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Usually don't mind him to be honest but was not real impressed with the way he spoke to Fabian on Inside Supercars this week. It was like he already knew Fabs' "scoop" about finishing up at BJR and was badgering him into admitting it...

Mr Phelps acted like a schoolkid in the playground with his "I know a secret...." attitude.
Punters Beer Fest. Indy 02, Clipsal 03, Winton 04, Paperclip 05, Darwin 06, Oran Park 07, Phillip Island 08, Sandown 09, Townsville 10, Symmons 11, Eastern Creek 12, Winton 13. Townsville 14. Paperclip 15, Sandown 16, Symmons 17, PI 18, The Bend 19
Old 24 Sep 2015, 06:28 (Ref:3576557)   #14
ford71
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide
ford71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridford71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think he does that every time he is on Inside SCs.

No doubt he's a bit of a muppet.
That hand wave he does in the lead up to his segment.....

Just saw he has written a book on Goulburn Jail, is this his first non-sport project?
Old 24 Sep 2015, 06:53 (Ref:3576562)   #15
ForumNick
Veteran

Australia
ForumNick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford71 View Post

Just saw he has written a book on Goulburn Jail, is this his first non-sport project?
From 1st hand experience maybe
Old 24 Sep 2015, 07:42 (Ref:3576574)   #16
billybanana
Veteran

billybanana should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbillybanana should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ford71 View Post
No it's a follow up to a previous book he wrote about Long Bay......which was a very good read. Despite the crap that gets thrown at him, he does have writing talent. These books were based on his time as a crime reporter in Sydney before he moved onto sports.
Old 24 Sep 2015, 11:08 (Ref:3576614)   #17
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I feel sorry for Phelps in a way, he is seemingly (to me anyway) someone with not alot of knowledge or neccessarily interest in motor racing beyond his V8Supercar gig, and therefore alot of his background info for writing his stories are coming from those in the paddock. He seems to not have alot of personal knowledge of motor racing to draw on (I may be wrong though), so his stories do rely on alot of 'face value' as to what people are telling him. At least when, for example Paul Kent, writes something about League in the Telegraph it is coming from a personal background of involvement.

His stories do read (to me) as puff pieces for V8Supercar most of the time rather than proper stories, but i guess he is protecting his job by not rocking the boat, which i can understand, its what pays his wages, and at some point he'll likely be moved to cover some other aspect for the paper..... His articles about Ford earlier in the year sounded like they were coming from the halls of V8Supercars....The stuff he writes though is going out to the masses, so its a shame at the errors that appear in his articles...

I'm not a fan of Phelps appearances on Inside Supercars. He seems (to me) to try and come across as an expert, and some of his questioning has been ridiculous at times, not to mention his 'grading' of drivers...
Old 24 Sep 2015, 12:22 (Ref:3576629)   #18
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
many sports panel shows now have a journo that comes in and gives all the scuttlebug of the rumours doing the traps, Thats all James is doing on Inside Supercars, spreading the rumours that have a little bit of meat to them.

Like Steve Hallam. More to come on that, just wait
Old 24 Sep 2015, 21:08 (Ref:3576774)   #19
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think the difference between other panel shows is that journos actually have knowledge and a background in the sport.

Phelps has none of these.

He is a placed journalist via the v8sc & telegraph agreement and is out of his depth.

The factual errors in print added to the brain dead questions on panel shows leave him little credibility in the Motorsport industry let alone the journalism industry
Old 24 Sep 2015, 21:45 (Ref:3576788)   #20
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T. View Post
I think the difference between other panel shows is that journos actually have knowledge and a background in the sport.

Phelps has none of these.

He is a placed journalist via the v8sc & telegraph agreement and is out of his depth.

The factual errors in print added to the brain dead questions on panel shows leave him little credibility in the Motorsport industry let alone the journalism industry
Thats your bias coming through, Phelps has been in the motorsport for over 5 years, But because he says positive things about v8s then naturally those that think the sky is falling hate him and what he says.
Old 24 Sep 2015, 22:58 (Ref:3576803)   #21
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
5 years in Motorsport or just v8sc Pecky?

The fact he didn't understand the difference between Ron or Roger Penske is an example of his depth of knowledge.

He is provided the v8sc narrative, content and follows the script.
Old 24 Sep 2015, 23:02 (Ref:3576805)   #22
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
5 years in Motorsport or just v8sc Pecky?

The fact he didn't understand the difference between Ron or Roger Penske is an example of his depth of knowledge.

He is provided the v8sc narrative, content and follows the script.
oh dear, he made an error, crucify him

Hardly matters at all, except for the trolls
Old 24 Sep 2015, 23:47 (Ref:3576816)   #23
D.R.T.
Veteran

Quote:
oh dear, he made an error, crucify him

Hardly matters at all, except for the trolls
It relates to his credibility or lack there of.

If he doesn't understand who Roger Penske is - what does that say about his sport knowledge.

How do guys like crompton, skaife and the drivers react to him Pecky?
Old 25 Sep 2015, 00:24 (Ref:3576823)   #24
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
It relates to his credibility or lack there of.

If he doesn't understand who Roger Penske is - what does that say about his sport knowledge.

How do guys like crompton, skaife and the drivers react to him Pecky?
oh my, he said the wrong name by accident, oh my

The react to him the same way ex footballers relate to journos on the footy shows, they dont like but that's part of the show.

If he is provided the v8 narrative and script then Skaife would not disagree with him, because skaife helps writes the narrative and the script. thus your conclusion is incorrect
Old 25 Sep 2015, 00:36 (Ref:3576827)   #25
ford71
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide
ford71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridford71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForumNick View Post
From 1st hand experience maybe
Phelps - Stories from the Inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybanana View Post
No it's a follow up to a previous book he wrote about Long Bay......which was a very good read. Despite the crap that gets thrown at him, he does have writing talent. These books were based on his time as a crime reporter in Sydney before he moved onto sports.
Thanks. Couple of family members that like this sort of read, might have a closer look.