Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 22 Jul 2002, 11:13 (Ref:339493)   #1
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
MG Car Club International Festival 19/20/21 July

Not really sure if this is Historic or Trackside but I’ll put it here anyway.

The MG Car club’s annual Silverstone Festival is always entertaining. Not only are there some great races but also the displays of various MGs are a joy to behold. The only things I jibe at are the concours events. Who wants to look at over-restored (in some cases) highly polished cars that do no more than twenty miles per year?

If you’ve got an MG you can find loads of those parts/accessories you always promised yourself in the trade area.

This year there were a number of highlights for me.

Firstly the ex Count Lurani MG K3 Magnette from the 1934 Mille Miglia was in the trade area being offered for sale (POA). The vendor expected to sell for £225.000.00!! I’ve got a limited edition print of this car in the 1934 race.

Next there was one of only four surviving MG 18/100 Tigress’ in the Vintage register display. And whilst wandering around this area I got talking to a chap who runs a J4. This is a pre1935 two seater “midget” which originally ran (I think) an 850cc four-cylinder engine. This car now sports a 1275cc MG Midget A series engine with gas flowed head. Not for the purist but for my money this car is owned and run by an enthusiast. He asked me whether I had an MG and I was pleasantly surprised to hear him acknowledge the more modern MGs (I have a 1965 MGB).

Oh, and I got to “display” my car in a parade around the international circuit on the Sunday morning.

So a great weekend when I did nothing but wander around in the sunshine, drink some beer (Old Speckled Hen of course) and watch some good racing.
Old 22 Jul 2002, 11:27 (Ref:339508)   #2
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Saturday was certainly marked by some good racing. Actually, some superb racing. The modified MG Midgets were breathtaking in some of their fights for the lead, and the way the lead kept changing in the MGF race... spectacular!

BRDC Fifties Sports cars as glorious as ever, and interesting to see how a well-driven Lola 1100 can keep pace with a Lister Jaguar on the International Circuit.

At the autojumble, managed to find some 1940s magazines that I haven't already got, a kit of a Triumph TR7 which I wanted (yes - at an MG meeting) and I managed to have a little row with a stallholder who seemed determined not to try to sell me a model MG TF.

A good day, though. And of course made even better by being able to enjoy a beer with Mr and Mrs Mallett. I think I may be back, and next time, the Hen is on me.
Old 22 Jul 2002, 11:50 (Ref:339535)   #3
MGF
Racer

MGF should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Damn Damn and double damn...

I was unable to attend this year due to cutting up my feet on Saturday at Bournmouth on something sharp in the sand....