Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 20 Apr 2008, 21:06 (Ref:2182370)   #51
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
That could be a plan ..... yeah , id does look foul , wonder would it give us the trots ?
Old 20 Apr 2008, 21:08 (Ref:2182374)   #52
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'm touching wood here Badger, the last time I had those at Le Mans was in 1987, when I destroyed the loos out at the restaurant at the Mulsanne kink....... (I wonder if that place is still there.....?)
Old 23 Apr 2008, 20:12 (Ref:2185187)   #53
GTfour
Veteran

Netherlands
Holland
GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!
So this food and drink holliday of ours,is at this cartrack or something? Can't help but getting annoyed by all the noise every year!

Old 23 Apr 2008, 21:49 (Ref:2185309)   #54
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Yeah, it does rather interfere with all the eating and drinking, that's for sure......
Old 23 Apr 2008, 22:10 (Ref:2185329)   #55
Le Vieux
Veteran

Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi
Yeah, it does rather interfere with all the eating and drinking, that's for sure......
I can't really apologise for introducing a slightly serious note here:

Several years ago, we decided to base ourselves some miles away from the track, partly due to the increasingly squalid conditions at Arnage, where we'd camped for over fifteen years, and partly because of the antics of a drunken minority - usually German, but sadly some Brits as well.

The result is that we don't let anything interfere with the eating and drinking and (you won't approve, M. Ayse....) we see less and less of the race each year. From measuring trackside spectating in hours, we can probably now measure it in minutes, but the fact that the size of our party has increased yet again this year shows that I'm not alone in wanting to do it this way.
Old 23 Apr 2008, 22:26 (Ref:2185340)   #56
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Well, I can forgive you - because you're there. And when it comes down to cases, that's the most important thing of all......
Old 24 Apr 2008, 07:07 (Ref:2185499)   #57
Le Vieux
Veteran

Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Well, I can forgive you - because you're there. And when it comes down to cases, that's the most important thing of all......
Agreed!
Old 24 Apr 2008, 07:45 (Ref:2185517)   #58
RickP:Clio51
Veteran

England
Zurich
RickP:Clio51 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRickP:Clio51 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tartiflette is just cheese, ham and potato... great filling food if the weather is a little chilly... nothing in it that will damage the sensitive British stomach, not really a strong flavour either... definitely something that needs to be done once if only to line the stomach for the beer (which it is excellent at...)

But not really what u need when its 100 degs in the shade though as it will be this year. (Fingers crossed... although sadly I won't be there... )
Old 24 Apr 2008, 08:05 (Ref:2185530)   #59
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Vieux
I can't really apologise for introducing a slightly serious note here:

Several years ago, we decided to base ourselves some miles away from the track, partly due to the increasingly squalid conditions at Arnage, where we'd camped for over fifteen years, and partly because of the antics of a drunken minority - usually German, but sadly some Brits as well.

The result is that we don't let anything interfere with the eating and drinking and (you won't approve, M. Ayse....) we see less and less of the race each year. From measuring trackside spectating in hours, we can probably now measure it in minutes, but the fact that the size of our party has increased yet again this year shows that I'm not alone in wanting to do it this way.
You can still have a more civilised stay at the race track, you just have to pick the campsite that best suits your needs, Houx annex for mad antics, maison blanche for party time, beausour for mud etc, some campsites are much better than others if you prefer some sleep and an easy life.
Old 24 Apr 2008, 08:56 (Ref:2185566)   #60
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Or you hotel it..........

I know most die-hards would choke on their little green bottles at the idea, but, like Le Vieux, many of our party are not getting any younger - I was one of the youngest when I started going in 1986 - and a number of the original Tourists are still hanging on in there - we've done the camping bit and disappearing a half hour drive away from the circuit to eat - and for some, sleep - is sensible. Particularly for those who will be driving away from the circuit immediately after the race.

For me, I go with the flow - especially after one single cold and uncomfortable night under canvas at Whittlebury at the Silverstone ALMS last year - never again. As long as I get to watch the race during the night, I'm happy enough.
Old 24 Apr 2008, 10:19 (Ref:2185624)   #61
Le Vieux
Veteran

Quote:
Or you hotel it..........

I know most die-hards would choke on their little green bottles at the idea, but, like Le Vieux, many of our party are not getting any younger - I was one of the youngest when I started going in 1986 - and a number of the original Tourists are still hanging on in there - we've done the camping bit and disappearing a half hour drive away from the circuit to eat - and for some, sleep - is sensible. Particularly for those who will be driving away from the circuit immediately after the race.

For me, I go with the flow - especially after one single cold and uncomfortable night under canvas at Whittlebury at the Silverstone ALMS last year - never again. As long as I get to watch the race during the night, I'm happy enough.
Again, I agree.

The hotel option is one that's been considered by our group. My wife would come if I secured a hotel room (and I would actually like her to come!) However, the camaraderie disappears when you're in a hotel.

Maybe there are suitable (near) trackside campsites, but why pay more for less facilities? I became fed up with getting a sandblasting for myself, my car and my food from the silly children who decided to do handbrake turns in the campsite, I became fed up with the drunks falling over our guy ropes and wandering into our tents, I became fed up with those who insist on playing obnoxious pop music at full volume 24 hours a day.

Staying a short distance from the track is a small price to pay for civilisation and good manners.
Old 24 Apr 2008, 10:52 (Ref:2185640)   #62
GTfour
Veteran

Netherlands
Holland
GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!
No offence Le Vieux,but "civilisation and good manners" are the rule for the rest of the year to me. When at Le Mans,it's time to PARTY till one drops.
All within accepted boundaries ofcourse,for I hate antisocial morons that think they can behave like caveman just because their with a group of friends(other caveman) as much as the next man.

One particular bad development I hear of more and more,is bullying danes looking for a fight. In my eyes that is the saddest thing to hear,because I've allways been so proud of Le Mans for it's abillity to create an atmosphere were there's no agression whatsoever.

For me personally,it's allways the problem of spreading myself between the social event/partying and getting as much trackside hours as possible,'cause I don't want to miss too much of either of them!
Old 24 Apr 2008, 11:20 (Ref:2185658)   #63
Le Vieux
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTfour
No offence Le Vieux,but "civilisation and good manners" are the rule for the rest of the year to me. When at Le Mans,it's time to PARTY till one drops.
All within accepted boundaries ofcourse,for I hate antisocial morons that think they can behave like caveman just because their with a group of friends(other caveman) as much as the next man.

One particular bad development I hear of more and more,is bullying danes looking for a fight. In my eyes that is the saddest thing to hear,because I've allways been so proud of Le Mans for it's abillity to create an atmosphere were there's no agression whatsoever.

For me personally,it's allways the problem of spreading myself between the social event/partying and getting as much trackside hours as possible,'cause I don't want to miss too much of either of them!

Again, I agree in principle.

Perhaps it's my advancing years, but the balance for me now lies with being away from the circuit. The "partying" aspect is now time spent with a few bottles of wine and/or beer, sitting around the remains of the evening's dinner, enjoying conversation as it gradually gets dark.

Some noise is acceptable - for example, the sound of the cars passing by.* Now, it's a relief to know that the most anti-social noise you'll hear all night is that of someone's snoring. (Usually mine, so they tell me!) I don't miss for one moment the drunken, noisy Germans who used to inhabit the back right hand corner (the one nearest to Mulsanne) at the Arnage campsite/car park, who made everyone's life a misery. Does anyone else remember them? I'm glad too, that I haven't encountered the Danes you mention. Like you, GT4, I've always found that generally the atmosphere at LM is a friendly one. It's a shame that the minority seem intent on spoiling it for the majority.

* Does anyone else find that the sound of the cars going quiet - for example when following the pace car - wakes them up, whereas the noise of them racing is no distubance at all? I recall waking with a start in 1986 (I think) when it all went quiet following the Jo Gartner accident. Instinctively, I knew something untoward had happened.
Old 24 Apr 2008, 11:55 (Ref:2185682)   #64
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
No problem there for me at all. I like a good party, and I like to see people enjoying themselves and free to decide - as you say, within accepted boundaries - how they do so.

Quote:

I think we have to be just a tad careful here before we offend our Danish colleagues. They like to party too..... I've certainly seen supposed fans/spectators who had no interest in the race whatsoever spoiling for a fight, and they certainly weren't Danes - but I can virtually guarantee they're all fuelled by alcohol.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Vieux
Does anyone else find that the sound of the cars going quiet - for example when following the pace car - wakes them up, whereas the noise of them racing is no distubance at all? I recall waking with a start in 1986 (I think) when it all went quiet following the Jo Gartner accident. Instinctively, I knew something untoward had happened.
We're definitely on the same wavelength. I remember that same moment - and again the next year after Win Percy's accident. In fact, I woke up our entire party - they weren't amused........
Old 24 Apr 2008, 12:39 (Ref:2185725)   #65
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Every year that I have been to le mans there have always been some people with perhaps a little to much of the party spirit but fights I have never witnessed, the antics of some have been beyond acceptable behaviour but alcohol has that effect on people. If you want to watch idiotic people than Houx roundabouts on the friday night but if you stay away from the trouble spots then you will probably never see anything worse that a few sleeping drunks or a bit of very bad singing.
Over the years the people I have meet have been French, American, Norwegian, Dutch and Danes and without exception they have been splendid company and the only trouble has been within our campsite as we argue who's turn it is to do the cooking/washing up or is it red wine or beer with steak hachettes.
Old 24 Apr 2008, 21:54 (Ref:2186092)   #66
GTfour
Veteran

Netherlands
Holland
@aysedasi,

"I think we have to be just a tad careful here before we offend our Danish colleagues. They like to party too..... "

I guess you're right here,after all,it was just hearsay about the danes.
All in all,the worst thing that can happen(in my eyes) is drunken fools starting fights because they think they can harass a single (also drunk) person.
That is just plain cowardly. Aside from that,it could start a major row as a single lad can be backed up by many back in his homecamp...
Old 24 Apr 2008, 22:40 (Ref:2186114)   #67
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
The Dutch know how to party better than anyone at Le Mans, The DFH party organised by on of our esteemed colleagues on Friday night in Maison Blanche is the best Friday night party in Le Mans.

I will be there and I will be watching the race the next and overnight and I am also of advancing years!! Dont miss out Le Mans is more than just a race

Last edited by Mal; 24 Apr 2008 at 22:44.
Old 25 Apr 2008, 15:46 (Ref:2186711)   #68
Justin Moran
Veteran

UK-ROI
St Helens
Justin Moran should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJustin Moran should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I obviously NEED to get out more!
Old 25 Apr 2008, 16:04 (Ref:2186738)   #69
GTfour
Veteran

Netherlands
Holland
Quote:
Originally Posted by C9/89
I obviously NEED to get out more!
So true. One shouldn't skip the occasionall stroll across the campsites. Apart from seeing the most exotic automobiles,one allways walks into some nice party of people from all over the world!
Old 27 Apr 2008, 16:03 (Ref:2188333)   #70
speedchillsnick
Rookie

United Kingdom
liverpool
speedchillsnick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
What do you mean - 'hopefully' ????

It's a given mate.
hmm thought that last time when i had only 1 jumper and 1 pair of trainers with me. I nearly ended up with trench foot lol

Last edited by speedchillsnick; 27 Apr 2008 at 16:10.
Old 28 Apr 2008, 18:08 (Ref:2189438)   #71
Justin Moran
Veteran

UK-ROI
St Helens
Justin Moran should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJustin Moran should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
So true. One shouldn't skip the occasionall stroll across the campsites. Apart from seeing the most exotic automobiles,one allways walks into some nice party of people from all over the world!
GTFour, I will have to find my way to Maison Blanche and the DfH bar and join you and PaddyNL for a couple of your finest beers!
Old 28 Apr 2008, 19:00 (Ref:2189479)   #72
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedchillsnick
hmm thought that last time when i had only 1 jumper and 1 pair of trainers with me. I nearly ended up with trench foot lol
Just believe...........
Old 29 Apr 2008, 10:30 (Ref:2190013)   #73
GTfour
Veteran

Netherlands
Holland
Quote:
Originally Posted by C9/89
GTFour, I will have to find my way to Maison Blanche and the DfH bar and join you and PaddyNL for a couple of your finest beers!
Sure thing! Allthough we'll be creating our own little dutch partycamp at camping Blue(recognisable by a very high dutch flag,together with a small "starts 'nd bars" flag),we'll definetly come and join our fellowparty animals at DfH.
Old 29 Apr 2008, 19:28 (Ref:2190464)   #74
Justin Moran
Veteran

UK-ROI
St Helens
Quote:
Sure thing! Allthough we'll be creating our own little dutch partycamp at camping Blue(recognisable by a very high dutch flag,together with a small "starts 'nd bars" flag),we'll definetly come and join our fellowparty animals at DfH.
Maybe I'll get to you first! Probably a good idea having heard the reputation of the DfH guys! (I'll admit I'm a lightweight drinker!) You'll recognise me by the Hat I wear, leather bush hat with a BMMC badge on the front and a few uk circuit badges round the rim, that and the smile!
Old 30 Apr 2008, 15:47 (Ref:2191176)   #75
speedchillsnick
Rookie

United Kingdom
liverpool
speedchillsnick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No C9/89 he'll recognise you from the large blue t-shirt that we will all be in advertising a certian members bar, nothing like a bit of free promotion when we are out and about lol. mite tag along for that stroll if u dont mind mate i definatley didnt get out much last year.