Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 21 Apr 2008, 01:46 (Ref:2182486)   #1
dj4monie
Veteran

United States
Reseda, California
dj4monie is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Peter on Target again - Autoextremist!

http://www.autoextremist.com/fumes1/
Old 21 Apr 2008, 06:01 (Ref:2182546)   #2
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
I could just imagine arriving at Le Mans in that thing . Imagine the looks youd get !!!

Did they forget the leprechaun ?
Old 21 Apr 2008, 13:23 (Ref:2182912)   #3
johntt
Veteran

England
England
johntt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He makes a good point, as much as i like Nascar it needs to be a bit more relevent.

First they need to reduce the number of races. IMO the only tracks that get repeat visits for points races) should be Bristol, Rockingham (NC), Lowes, Darlington, Talladega and Daytona. All others should be reduced to one race each (and add Iowa speedway to the schedule). That would bring it down to 31 points races total.

In terms of cars, keep the CoT bodystyle, except increase the size of the front splitter to cure the overtaking problem. In terms of engines I think they need a complete rethink. How about a naturally aspirated production based engine in a v-configuration no bigger than 4 litres?

Also manadate something like algae-derived biogasoline (third generation biofuel) or cellulosic ethanol to power the cars and open it up to multiple fuel suppliers. Also open up the tyres to other companies, lets have the likes of Firestone and Hoosier making tyres and giving Goodyear some competition.

PS: Shouldn't this be in the Stock car section?
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit.' And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." -Ayrton Senna
Old 21 Apr 2008, 15:32 (Ref:2183014)   #4
Justin Moran
Veteran

UK-ROI
St Helens
Justin Moran should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJustin Moran should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think its there for the quote "Publisher's Note: It had been erroneously reported last week that the ACO had scrapped the proposed EVO classification in favor of a further development of their current prototype (LMP1) rules package. This in fact is not true and the new EVO classification has been solidified and finalized for 2010. - PMD."
Erroneosly? the word was from Msr Poissenot!
Old 21 Apr 2008, 15:53 (Ref:2183036)   #5
tblincoe
Veteran

tblincoe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We've now got a host of equally reputable sources claiming a wide range of certainties when it comes to the future of the ACO's regulations - who do we believe?
Old 21 Apr 2008, 15:53 (Ref:2183037)   #6
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by C9/89
I think its there for the quote "Publisher's Note: It had been erroneously reported last week that the ACO had scrapped the proposed EVO classification in favor of a further development of their current prototype (LMP1) rules package. This in fact is not true and the new EVO classification has been solidified and finalized for 2010. - PMD."
I have not seen the original article in Autosport, but I have seen the article at DSC. And the gang at DSC are pretty smart fellas, so when they write;
Quote:
Watkins concludes that “it (the ACO) has all but abandoned plans for a new generation of prototypes”.
it indicates to me that in fact Msr Poissenot did not say that, hence the phraseology 'Watkins concludes that'.

L.P.

Last edited by HORNDAWG; 21 Apr 2008 at 16:01.
Old 21 Apr 2008, 15:57 (Ref:2183043)   #7
smcorolla
Rookie

smcorolla should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
excuse my ingorance, but it doesnt seem too hard to run an ethanol blend in a modern engine, is it possible to run it in a cup car or is the fact that NASCAR engines still use carburetors prohibit that ease of transition?

I am not a stock-car fan and would love to see the giant fall to some degree, just want to know if they can switch to ethanol and then proclaim their green-relevance and once again take away the public eye from the ALMS

rick
Old 21 Apr 2008, 16:39 (Ref:2183078)   #8
MulsanneMike
Veteran

United States
MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by smcorolla
excuse my ingorance, but it doesnt seem too hard to run an ethanol blend in a modern engine, is it possible to run it in a cup car or is the fact that NASCAR engines still use carburetors prohibit that ease of transition?

I am not a stock-car fan and would love to see the giant fall to some degree, just want to know if they can switch to ethanol and then proclaim their green-relevance and once again take away the public eye from the ALMS

rick
Ssssshhhhh! Don't give them the idea! As Peter points out in his article, NASCAR ain't exactley good at forward thinking. They might very well get all their ideas from Internet forums!
Old 21 Apr 2008, 19:04 (Ref:2183295)   #9
johntt
Veteran

England
England
johntt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MulsanneMike
Ssssshhhhh! Don't give them the idea! As Peter points out in his article, NASCAR ain't exactley good at forward thinking. They might very well get all their ideas from Internet forums!
True.

Seriously though, there was a time when everything was in harmony. It was called "1995". Nascar was mainly in the southeast, and Indycar was mainly everywhere except the southeast and there were sportscars as far as the eye could see...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1995_CA...on#Grands_Prix
http://www.racing-reference.info/rac...=1995&series=W
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1995_IM...ionship_season

Then the evil Tony George came along, Grand-Am was formed etc etc...you know the rest. The point i'm trying to make is that now we have unified open Indycar series and Nascar seems to have peaked we may see a rebalancing of the stock cars and open wheelers in the USA. Because there wasn't one to balance out the other the dominant one saturates the market.

Grand-Am isn't going to change or go away any time soon. There was a very good article about how the ALMS and Garra coexist becuase they offer different things, the ALMS is more for the car industry and professionals while Garra is more for amateurs and the racing industry.
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit.' And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." -Ayrton Senna
Old 30 Apr 2008, 14:06 (Ref:2191092)   #10
smcorolla
Rookie

smcorolla should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Found an answer to my own question, was watching hightlights of the '08 SEMA show on Speed, happen to catch a spot on the Edelbrock booth and their new E85 designed carbs. So, it is possible to run E85 in a carb and therefore possible to introduce into NASCAR. I know this is a stretch, but this would be perfect for them to figure this out and add it to the "COT". If that happens, so long to any media attention given to sportscar racing.

I'm not doom-and-gloom, but this would not surprise me if this happened in the near future.

rick
Old 30 Apr 2008, 15:02 (Ref:2191143)   #11
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Carbs

I don't know if this is the correct forum, or I'm going off at too much of a tangent, but when was the last time a vehicle in a top-level motorracing series (other than NASCAR) used a carb-fed engine?
Old 30 Apr 2008, 15:08 (Ref:2191151)   #12
Dani Filth
Race Official
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
NASCAR is top-level motorracing ?????

Ciao Marco
Old 30 Apr 2008, 15:26 (Ref:2191164)   #13
Bob Riebe
Veteran

Bob Riebe User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckosaurus
Carbs

I don't know if this is the correct forum, or I'm going off at too much of a tangent, but when was the last time a vehicle in a top-level motorracing series (other than NASCAR) used a carb-fed engine?
GP bikes used them until a few years back.
NHRA uses them in non-blown cars, (harder to cheat and there is no HP loss)
For what reason should NASCAR adopt them, the cars are not related to street cars anymore, and there is no performance gained, other than being able to cheat easier, in using them.
Old 30 Apr 2008, 15:58 (Ref:2191184)   #14
TWK
Veteran

TWK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by C9/89
Not exactly. The articles were based on someone's interpretation of "the word...from Msr Poissenot!"

Murphy's sources just about immediately questioned that interpretation, on April 14, thus:

They – just about everybody – say the EVO rules are “dead.” Since we haven’t yet seen an EVO rule, it’s hard to know what needs a burial. Do the current open and closed top prototypes remain legal after 2009? Probably. The devil is in the details, of course, so how competitive they will be is far less certain.

It’s those details Herr Ulrich referred to when he professed confusion at what Audi should build for 2009. But the manufacturers have been party to rules discussions with the ACO all along. Someone who should know said the report that the ‘EVO’ is dead “is news to me,” meaning the part of the rule that defines what you can race (as apposed to what you cannot). The adaptation of the Aston Martin GT1 motor to the Lola coupe is a demonstration of that, as is Zytek’s continued work on chassis that will accommodate some kind of hybrid powerplant.

A new LM P1 has already been extensively wind tunnel tested, and a corporate “go ahead” for the project is “just weeks away.” Clearly, someone thinks they know what the rule will permit, and that it includes prototypes with strong visual links to a manufacturer’s other automobiles. So there’s an American prototype on the way once again. Now that’s awesome.

Peter is right.
Old 30 Apr 2008, 21:17 (Ref:2191399)   #15
Justin Moran
Veteran

UK-ROI
St Helens
Justin Moran should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJustin Moran should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I really dont mind who is right or wrong as long as we have sportscar racing that isnt directly controlled by the FIA! The fact that GM has been doing what it thinks is the way ahead is only what prototype racing has always been about. Innovation in design within a given set of parameters wahtever they maybe interpreted as! Viva LMS, ALMS and Le Mans!