Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 12 Sep 2011, 17:39 (Ref:2954586)   #26
arakis
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade,Serbia
arakis has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
like I said I think they are the best, I only posted this to influence posible future shows to make them even better, never to flame them. they are the best, and their comentery is the only one I listen to, even when there is comentery availabe on my own languge, witch isnt bad.
I just think that with a little change to their planing of a coverage they could improve the comentary a lot, and I find that they them selves have , time and time again mentioned how GTE is great!
To launch a new FIA GT2 category based on strict technical rules, with limited wavers and ‘balance of performance' limited to success ballast. A category where GT manufacturers will prove through competition they can produce the best road going GT car.
Old 12 Sep 2011, 17:54 (Ref:2954596)   #27
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Heard the tanoy system and the dolcette tones of hindy but failed to find anything on my radio so gave up, but from what i heard of the tanoy a first class job
Old 12 Sep 2011, 18:18 (Ref:2954612)   #28
AndrewF31
Veteran

Canada
Spain
AndrewF31 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAndrewF31 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
way too much action in such a 'short' race:

- Audi and Peugeot shenanigans
- Petrol 'class' battle between 5 cars
- LMP2 battles
- LMP2 shortcomings
- GTE Pro
- GTE Am

For a team of 1 + 1 + 1 it was not easy. And as mentioned, and commented on plenty a time during midweek motorsport, the pit media boxes are horrible and with Truswell not next to John but way across the track, it was not easy for John to juggle it all. Paul was actually playing the role of a 'play-by-play' guy half the time when we're more used to having him organizing the race data, giving John an essential race support. He still did it this race but was also helping to keep an eye on the action (and thankfully he did so), which stole a bit of his time away.
As there was so much action and not a lot of resources, they ended up focusing, most of the time, on the 'on-screen' stuff which was concentrating on the Audis and Pugs, LMP2 and a bit of Petrol LMP1
Old 12 Sep 2011, 18:24 (Ref:2954620)   #29
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
For a freebie radio station - without which you wouldn't have very much - methinks some protest too much........ Entertainment? No, not for me, just good commentary.
Not sure if you misunderstood but I found the program informative and entertaining.

Old RLM videos stand upto repeat viewing because of the informal nature of the chat, like a group of fans in the commentary box, recent videos are straight commentary and can bore even at an hour long.
Old 12 Sep 2011, 18:42 (Ref:2954627)   #30
mark_l
Veteran

England
mark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hindy is knowledgeable and enthusiastic. RLM were hurt by have Peugeot and Audi at opposite ends of the pitland so Nick was forever walking up and down and can only cover one team at a time, if the organisors had put those two teams next to each other then it could of been covered more easily.

Manning the Stowe commentary box would of possible, but having to commentate on tv means that your hands are tied by the producer.

Were RLM employed to commentate for TV or the circuit?, either way you cannot please all of the people.
Old 12 Sep 2011, 18:43 (Ref:2954629)   #31
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG View Post
Old RLM videos stand upto repeat viewing because of the informal nature of the chat, like a group of fans in the commentary box, recent videos are straight commentary and can bore even at an hour long.
90's Le Mans reviews with RLM commentary? Yes they are fantastic for us fans and enthuastics who know this stuff, but they might appear a bit messy / confusing to casual viewers. I've heard a couple of complains from people who say it's difficult to understand how the race is actually progressing in those reviews. Obviously the commentary is just copy-pasted from the live radio broadcast so it's hard to find a good balance but still...

As for the Silverstone commentary, it was fine as usual. Althou they can be a "bit" biased at times it's still the best you're ever gonna get.

Btw is something going on with Graham Tyler? I could swear that at one point Hindy said "I hope you're doing better" or sth like that.
Old 12 Sep 2011, 18:44 (Ref:2954630)   #32
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG View Post
Not sure if you misunderstood but I found the program informative and entertaining.

Ah, so you weren't saying what you were saying but were merely hypothesising, so I might have misunderstood the ambiguity.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_l View Post

Were RLM employed to commentate for TV or the circuit?, either way you cannot please all of the people.

Both the circuit and the ACO (TV), I suspect - but certainly the ACO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
Btw is something going on with Graham Tyler? I could swear that at one point Hindy said "I hope you're doing better" or sth like that.
There was a mention of why Graham wasn't there at some point during the weekend - family illness?

Last edited by Aysedasi; 12 Sep 2011 at 18:50.
Old 12 Sep 2011, 21:02 (Ref:2954697)   #33
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Biggest *problem* was simply the race itself, which was unusually exciting for a six hour endurance race. I enjoy almost all endurance racing (more than the most exciting A1GP inspired 20 minute to 1 hour entertainment festival), but this one had a hell of a lot going on.

After the diesel battle was decided late in the race, the petrol battle was one of the best all year. Both OAK Pescarolo cars had a chance along with the 12 Rebellion Lola and factory Pescarolo all had a chance at an overall podium. This was unusual but refreshing as TV and radio actually bothered to cover the Petrol LMP1 race, giving their sponsors rare and much earned exposure.

When you also count in the LMP2 race and the problems for championship contenders, you basically had 3 LMP races that were exciting (LMP1 diesel, LMP1 petrol, LMP2) which sadly sacrificed the good racing in the GTE classes from being shown often. Just to give you an idea, sometimes ALMS races have 0 exciting prototype races, which makes it easier to cover the GT race. Basically every class other than FLMYawn had good racing.

Hindy is a great commentator and usually has a great team with him to cover the race. He can be very biased at times, but that is not unusual for a commentator. Just watch Grand Am races on SPEED as Leigh Diffey and Dorsey Schroeder spend half the time rambling on about the greatest sports car racing driver and team in the world.

Best overall endurance race other than Le Mans this year, simply because every class (excluding FLM) had exciting racing.
Old 12 Sep 2011, 22:34 (Ref:2954736)   #34
scotty01292
Rookie

scotty01292 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Having never been to a Le Mans series race, and only ever watched the 24hr on telly (where i've always found the commentary to be pretty good) I can just emphasise the points already made about how an occasional run-down of positions would be great etc. etc. etc.

I thought the period with Ant in the box was class, cause having listened to his F1 commentary, he really knows exactly what he's talking about and always manages to keep me amused while giving good, informative commentary. The other commentators were good, but as others have said, I didn't like that they abandoned the race for short times to do interviews etc.

Also, there were times when it seemed like they missed large chunks of action (I have no idea what the set up in the box is with regard to screens to see what's happening etc) but my brother and I were sitting in the Becketts grandstand for a bit, and I was watching the 1 Audi when it made contact with another car (can't remember which) coming out of Chapel/at the start of the Hangar straight, and saw quite a large chunk of back right bodywork fly off the Audi. I expected to be informed as to what happened there, but it was a good 30 seconds or so later when the commentators first noticed that the Audi was damaged, and they never actually seemed to find out what happened, which left me a bit confused. Aswell, it took a little while before they mentioned McNish spinning at Village? when the Krohne car made slight contact, when we saw this as it happened.

With regard to the above points, it could be that I just didnt hear/notice the commentators mentioning these, so don't hate me if I am wrong, but I didn't notice it happening.

It was still great to actually have the commentary though, cause it would be impossible to follow without it, and I thoroughly enjoyed my weekend and my first endurance race.
Old 13 Sep 2011, 06:34 (Ref:2954817)   #35
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
So, there were clearly logistical, technical and geographical difficulties.

Lack of information for John in 'The Wing' and lack of time to analise what data/pictures he did have whilst playing his role of anchor man.

Trussers was unable to play his usual support role to John due to geographical difficulties and the lack of information he was able to receive in his perch. For most of the time, he commentated on what he could actually see (for a change) rather than giving an analysis of the race data combined with observations from live tv feeds.

Nick Daman tried manfully to cover the length of the pitlane, but that task is simply too big for one person (I know there were very good reasons for the absences of Tyler and Bradley).

Too many interviews, lack of hourly updates, those things are all personal preferences. My main gripe is that RLM were understaffed, a factor which was compounded by the logistical/technical/geographical difficulties they faced. Contingency should have been made, in my opinion.
Old 13 Sep 2011, 06:56 (Ref:2954822)   #36
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
My problem was that I didnt manage to pick up the circuit radio commentary so I tuned in via Radio Le Mans on my phone. This meant that the commentary was about 20 seconds behind the action which once I had got used to it I could cope with.

I personally feel that the team spend a little too much time chatting and do not seen willing to break off a conversation when something significant happens on track.

To me their principal role it to call the race and the interviews and general chat are to fill in during the quieter periods of the race.

I also wonder how informative it would be to a spectator new to Sportscars as the commentary seems to assume that the listener has a basic knowledge of the sport and the class system.

Having said that I could not do their job and I have been a fan long enough to remember Le Mans before RLM and all this is really nit picking compared to the situation as it was.
Old 13 Sep 2011, 09:19 (Ref:2954887)   #37
Accident
Veteran

Accident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAccident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAccident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I noticed the damage on the back of the #1 Audi a few mins before they even said anything, then when they did see it they said that the #2 Audi had damage a couple of times before they were corrected.

They have had trouble identifying cars in cases like that. Hindy has done it several times this year with the Corvettes in the ALMS, saying the #4 car has gone off or whatever when it was the #3 car. Granted, both the Audis and Corvettes run pretty much identical liveries, but it's not THAT hard to see the mirrors/windshield banner (and fin in the Audi's case).

It's easy enough to mistake the cars, but it's a bit annoying when I glance away and then hear him get all excited and yell "OH THAT'S THE LEADER! HE HAS LOST A TON OF POSITIONS!" only to look and see it was actually the other car running in the exact same spot it has been running for the last 20 mins.

Other than that I don't really have any complaints.
Old 13 Sep 2011, 10:02 (Ref:2954905)   #38
porsche91722
Veteran

Australia
S.E.Qld
porsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridporsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridporsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
We watched the whole thing via a pretty good AudiTV stream, and I thought the RLM commentary and interviews were fantastic, as is usual. I realize that a lot of the comments here are constructive criticism however considering the limited resources that RLM have at their disposal, I think they do extremely well, and would be interested to hear of any better alternatives.
Old 14 Sep 2011, 11:35 (Ref:2955394)   #39
Joe Taylor
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warwickshire, UK
Joe Taylor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNewBob View Post
Need some way of informing them if an incident has occurred. I'm sure this has been available at Le Mans, or something similar.
Apologies if this breaks the 'advertising a rival forum' rule, but I informed them of the Aston's airborne moment via the Listeners Collective.
Old 14 Sep 2011, 14:01 (Ref:2955450)   #40
ClassicAuto
Rookie

France
Nantes
ClassicAuto should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm a french Le Mans enthousiast and I was at Silverstone in the media center for my website, with race on the screens and RLM to have a real great coverage. Even at Le Mans, I'm listing to Radio Le Mans, cause they are way batter than the french comments... Really, they're doing a great job.
Old 14 Sep 2011, 14:15 (Ref:2955458)   #41
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
Hi guys - I'm sure Hindy will be along at some point to give the pro's view but in the meantime I can help you with some of the very reasonable points raised here:

The view from the box in 'The Wing' is awful - you can only see a short section of the start finish straight and nothing of the pitlane without standing on a stool! I've had better views from commentary positions which aren't even trackside!

You should also take into consideration that Paul Truswell at Becketts was commentating simultaneously on two different sections of the circuit - Roughly from Turn 2 through to T 5 and from Becketts round to Stowe. I thought he was superb all weekend (as usual)

Nick was doing a sterling job in what some have correctly observed was a long and crowded pitlane. I'm sure he'd have loved GT to be there but as some have correctly recalled Graham had more important issues to deal with.

Ref rundowns - I know John tried a couple of times to run down the order only to be stymied by yet another on track incident! I remember he did get back to it though - Mainly as he gave me the international sign language to stfu on at least one occasion!

On style of commentary - This was an unusually multi-platform broadcast - Radio, internet, circuit PA and live video stream - It's tough catering for the needs and sensitivities of all of that lot simultaneously! My guess on the delay front is that some of those were losing time in the translation!

On GTE - The only car we were really unsure about on fuel was the #51, for the rest it was a case of them having to pit - but when? We certainly didn't ignore the battles in either GTE class in the final phase of the race (the last hour).

Ref the damage on #1 - see above for the view - If we didn't see it out of the window and we didn't see it on TV then we didn't see it! I actually thought John spotted it pretty quickly.

Alll in all I think it's worth considering that there may welll never have been an endurance race that had wider coverage than this one - All the platforms serviced by RLM plus Eurosport and live text from my lot and others too.

(Oh and yes some of the guests were excellent - in particular Jonny Cocker, Ant Davidson and Desire Wilson)
Old 14 Sep 2011, 16:56 (Ref:2955528)   #42
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I don't understand why anyone would dislike the coverage - infact, RLM do some amazing jobs in very difficult circumstances at times.

Apart from F1, BTCC and GT1, good commentary in motorsport does not exist on TV, so it's always great to hear Hindy's voice - someone who can actually tell one car from another (ahem, MotorsTVcoughsplutter)!

Trusswell is the best thing since sliced bread - Le Mans and any other endurance race is greatly enhanced by his analysis. Few other sports demand the same in-race analysis as motor racing and I'm glad RLM recognise that.

My only fault with RLM, at times, is that you can listen for a long time without hearing the main positions. And it's also not always helpful referring to cars by their number, especially when you don't have a programme at hand. But I really do love the coverage, everyone does, and as a 4 year old boy watching the 1990 RLM Le Mans video, I fell in love with the sport.
Old 14 Sep 2011, 17:49 (Ref:2955546)   #43
MartinSmith
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Essex
MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal View Post
My problem was that I didnt manage to pick up the circuit radio commentary so I tuned in via Radio Le Mans on my phone. This meant that the commentary was about 20 seconds behind the action which once I had got used to it I could cope with.

I personally feel that the team spend a little too much time chatting and do not seen willing to break off a conversation when something significant happens on track.

To me their principal role it to call the race and the interviews and general chat are to fill in during the quieter periods of the race.

I also wonder how informative it would be to a spectator new to Sportscars as the commentary seems to assume that the listener has a basic knowledge of the sport and the class system.

Having said that I could not do their job and I have been a fan long enough to remember Le Mans before RLM and all this is really nit picking compared to the situation as it was.
Listening to RLM on a telephone stream IS MURDER...take it from me...I tried to interview with them one night via a mobile...the delay was too much so that would be a prob for ya big time

Radio Le Mans ethos is based around a simple format, its on Hindy's Bio on the website (well it was)
"Imagine a load of Motorsport Fans sitting round a table down the pub discussing Motorsport.....we're the table"

Its that simple. With regard to the idea that they dont break off, I tend to dissagree, many a time John has been mid flight in some convo at Le Mans and broke away because something has happened in the pits or out on the track even as far as "now lets go down to the pits and catch up with....OHHH THERES A NEW LEADER IN GT2....NEW LEADER IN GT2 NOW"

I do take your point that they do assume a certain amount of knowledge, but so do most commentators on any sport (when was the last time a big football match started on Sky with a powerpoint presentation of the offside rule?) The only time I have ever known that happen was when the superbowl came to the UK and they had to devote ten minutes to what the rules were ("They are down with their first at ten!"...WTF?)

I dont see their principle role to call the race....i really dont, their principle role is to inform and to also entertain, to lift an event as such, if you wanted someone to just call a race you would not have Hindy and Radio Le Mans.

As you say its only nit picking and believe me there are times that I get frustrated in Le Mans when I have not heard about a GT car that Im following etc, but credit where its due, 55 starters, four races within one takes some doing, stream it out via the commentary/internet/FM broadcast and the job gets mamouth AND provide updates to Midweek motorsport forum etc....hats off to em

Ive always been a fan and as well as that, they helped to transform an idea that started on here for an alternative six hour race...into something very very special.....so yes...I am Bias
Old 14 Sep 2011, 17:50 (Ref:2955547)   #44
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
If you're gonna pick a video for your first - then that's the one to choose, IMO......
Old 14 Sep 2011, 18:43 (Ref:2955578)   #45
arakis
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade,Serbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Goodwin View Post
Hi guys - I'm sure Hindy will be along at some point to give the pro's view but in the meantime I can help you with some of the very reasonable points raised here:

The view from the box in 'The Wing' is awful - you can only see a short section of the start finish straight and nothing of the pitlane without standing on a stool! I've had better views from commentary positions which aren't even trackside!

You should also take into consideration that Paul Truswell at Becketts was commentating simultaneously on two different sections of the circuit - Roughly from Turn 2 through to T 5 and from Becketts round to Stowe. I thought he was superb all weekend (as usual)

Nick was doing a sterling job in what some have correctly observed was a long and crowded pitlane. I'm sure he'd have loved GT to be there but as some have correctly recalled Graham had more important issues to deal with.

Ref rundowns - I know John tried a couple of times to run down the order only to be stymied by yet another on track incident! I remember he did get back to it though - Mainly as he gave me the international sign language to stfu on at least one occasion!

On style of commentary - This was an unusually multi-platform broadcast - Radio, internet, circuit PA and live video stream - It's tough catering for the needs and sensitivities of all of that lot simultaneously! My guess on the delay front is that some of those were losing time in the translation!

On GTE - The only car we were really unsure about on fuel was the #51, for the rest it was a case of them having to pit - but when? We certainly didn't ignore the battles in either GTE class in the final phase of the race (the last hour).

Ref the damage on #1 - see above for the view - If we didn't see it out of the window and we didn't see it on TV then we didn't see it! I actually thought John spotted it pretty quickly.

Alll in all I think it's worth considering that there may welll never have been an endurance race that had wider coverage than this one - All the platforms serviced by RLM plus Eurosport and live text from my lot and others too.

(Oh and yes some of the guests were excellent - in particular Jonny Cocker, Ant Davidson and Desire Wilson)
thanks for joining the discusion and giving us an inside look on things, I am sure that all agree here that RLM is the best motorsports comentary there is out there, and I don't just mean sportscars.

to the point of the no#51, I dont know if they had internet acess in the booth, but on the official live timining, under news, you could find out when any of the cars went into the box, I know doing it for all the cars would be anoying and useless, but for the lead car it took me less then 30s to check, also 5m after 51 last stop Fisichela said it out loud that they don't need to pit.

Last edited by arakis; 14 Sep 2011 at 18:59.
To launch a new FIA GT2 category based on strict technical rules, with limited wavers and ‘balance of performance' limited to success ballast. A category where GT manufacturers will prove through competition they can produce the best road going GT car.
Old 14 Sep 2011, 18:51 (Ref:2955581)   #46
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingers4Justice View Post
... But I really do love the coverage, everyone does, and as a 4 year old boy watching the 1990 RLM Le Mans video, I fell in love with the sport.
"That is two in the pit lane, two on the track, "
*cue hysteria*
"That's a Jaguar 1-2-3-4."
Old 14 Sep 2011, 18:57 (Ref:2955583)   #47
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by arakis View Post
thanks for joining the discusion a and giving us an iside look on things, I am sure that all agree here that RLM is the best motorsports comentary there is out there I don't just mean sportscars.

to the point of the no#51, I dont know if you had internet acess in the booth, but on the official live timining under news, you could find out when any of the cars went into the box, I know doing it for all the cars would be anoying and useless, but for the lead car it took me less then 30s to check, also 5m after 51 last stop Fisichela said it out loud that they don't need to pit.
Thanks for that - The reality is that in the booth John is trying to balance actually commentating with co-ordinating the other commentatoirs, dealing with guests and checking other incomiong info via the web etc - Our primary timing resource does not show time of last stop and we have to fade out main feed to hear what's being said on mike for TV in pitlane. Put another way there simply isn't 30 seconds available to check!

I remember trhe very first time I stood in a booth with Messrs Hindhaugh and Tyler - I was staggered at the workload and its intensity - If anything that's got even more intense with the onset of social media - lots more info (and questions) coming in and remember the principal commentators do this wiuthout a break for well over 6 hours for a normal ILMC race (no shuift changes a la Le Mans)
Old 14 Sep 2011, 19:05 (Ref:2955585)   #48
arakis
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade,Serbia
cool, I have tremendus amount of respect for them and thank them for giving us any inof at all.

BTW I could help out regarding info on GTE cars, since its my opsession and the only thing i watch, if they could setup a pipeline where I could stream relevant info to them, I am sure there are better suited people out there to do it then me, but I have an up side, I would be free, (well maybe getting a nice shiny title would be nice)
Old 14 Sep 2011, 19:07 (Ref:2955587)   #49
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
As I said earlier it is all nit picking and we should not forget that Hindy and RLM along with a few others (graham ) have totally transformed the amount of information we can get and the speed at which it arrives so our comments need to be put in that perspective.

Graham description of the circumstances in the booth certainly answers many questions as its easy to sit in a pair of headphones expecting perfection without realise how it is having to be delivered.
Old 14 Sep 2011, 19:13 (Ref:2955591)   #50
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The last two years of Nurburgring 24h says it all, almost a round-a-clock performance from a 3-4 people commentary team, with no real shifts (Le Mans? Luxury!!) Also those times when Hindy has been commentating full 12 hours of Sebring all alone in the booth, with only Eve on his side and Tyler in the pits. Deserves a medal...