Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 22 Nov 2016, 08:32 (Ref:3690144)   #1
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
DONINGTON HISTORIC FESTIVAL

Annual Historic Festival. In 2017 qualifying will be on Friday, with racing Saturday and Sunday.

Invited grids so far include all 4 Motor Racing Legends series, FJHRA, GTSCC and Jaguar Challenge.

There are also two races for HRDC categories-
TG/TC63
COYS
Further info on their website...

And two 40 min races for U2TC.
Old 27 Nov 2016, 07:49 (Ref:3691332)   #2
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!
In two minds about attending - the last few I have been to didn't really match up to expectation . It's a typical historic weekend meeting masquerading as something bigger and stretching a two day meeting to three . The timing of some feature races has been stupid- much as I love watching T70s etc , if races don't start until 5.30 or later , the 150 mile drive home does tend to mean I have to watch an hour long race for 50s Jags (for example ) at prime time- early afternoon - which is pleasant enough but not what I came to see whilst missing out on the star attraction.
Old 29 Nov 2016, 22:39 (Ref:3692231)   #3
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Having 1 full day of qualy and 2 full days racing next year might help sort some of that out?
Old 30 Nov 2016, 14:20 (Ref:3692379)   #4
Rudernst
Veteran

Germany
Hamburg
Rudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by coppice View Post
In two minds about attending - the last few I have been to didn't really match up to expectation . It's a typical historic weekend meeting masquerading as something bigger and stretching a two day meeting to three . The timing of some feature races has been stupid- much as I love watching T70s etc , if races don't start until 5.30 or later , the 150 mile drive home does tend to mean I have to watch an hour long race for 50s Jags (for example ) at prime time- early afternoon - which is pleasant enough but not what I came to see whilst missing out on the star attraction.

"It's a typical historic weekend meeting masquerading as something bigger and stretching a two day meeting to three ."

now that is it in a nutshell ! very well put
you might see that through the eyes of a speccy, but for an entrant is much the same

RuE
Old 10 Apr 2017, 19:35 (Ref:3725371)   #5
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Well, it's getting close and the timetable is on their website-

http://www.doningtonhistoric.com/the-races/ Not sure how that works for you, coppice?

Assuming paddock access is allowed Thursday I'll be arriving then to get organised for qualifying Friday pm and race Sunday morning. That's 3 nights hotel so not the cheapest of meetings to do........ With the event running Friday to Sunday at least competitors won't have to do battle with holiday traffic on the motorways Monday eve!

I know our race (GTSCC) is oversubscribed- reserves plus waiting list, so will be interesting to see how well supported the others are.
Old 11 Apr 2017, 07:58 (Ref:3725442)   #6
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Well, it's getting close and the timetable is on their website-

http://www.doningtonhistoric.com/the-races/ Not sure how that works for you, coppice?

Assuming paddock access is allowed Thursday I'll be arriving then to get organised for qualifying Friday pm and race Sunday morning. That's 3 nights hotel so not the cheapest of meetings to do........ With the event running Friday to Sunday at least competitors won't have to do battle with holiday traffic on the motorways Monday eve!

I know our race (GTSCC) is oversubscribed- reserves plus waiting list, so will be interesting to see how well supported the others are.
Can't wait Mike!
Going to see if i can do all 3 days this year (thanks to a nice crimbo pressie i got last yr) so maybe we'll get the chance for a proper catch up for a change!

Be interesting to see how the one day qualy works and then 2 solid days racing. Should work better than previous format?
Old 11 Apr 2017, 08:12 (Ref:3725445)   #7
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Be careful with your travel plans if attending this meeting (or indeed anything at Donington for the next 18 months or so); junction 23a to 25 (I think) has just started the roadworks to upgrade to a "smart motorway", and at the same time the parallel A453 between 23a and 24 is down to single lane traffic due to the construction of a new traffic island and a massive distribution complex on the north side of the airport.

The upshot is that traffic on those roads is now backing up even more than it did before, the traffic island at the motorway services is very busy and people are using the road through Donington village (past the race track main entrance) as a "rat run" to try to avoid the problem, causing more problems in the village!

God knows what it will be like this weekend for the BTCC meeting or for the Download concert in June.
Old 11 Apr 2017, 09:02 (Ref:3725453)   #8
apriliadriver
Racer

United Kingdom
Ruislip, Middx
apriliadriver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Andy is right. If coming from the South, under no circumstances use the M1 even outside rush-hour - go M40/M42/A42 and come off one junction before you reach the M1.
I travelled up M1 on the Friday before last Saturday's HSCC and it was a nightmare journey the whole way from London - roadworks, speed restrictions, jams and then the gridlock that Andy describes. 3.5 hours for 115 mile trip. On Sat. afternoon after my race I returned via M42/M40 - two hours inc a fuel stop to feed the insatiable Chevy Holley.
Nick
Old 11 Apr 2017, 09:44 (Ref:3725470)   #9
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Is this one of those "smart motorways" that actually cause more crashes?
Old 11 Apr 2017, 11:37 (Ref:3725495)   #10
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
Can't wait Mike!
Going to see if i can do all 3 days this year (thanks to a nice crimbo pressie i got last yr) so maybe we'll get the chance for a proper catch up for a change!

Be interesting to see how the one day qualy works and then 2 solid days racing. Should work better than previous format?
Yes, Would be good to catch up, James!

Thanks for the motorway updates, guys. I'll be travelling from Kent so can do M40 alternative without too much hassle.....
Old 11 Apr 2017, 11:41 (Ref:3725496)   #11
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
Can't wait Mike!

From memory I think the first time the event was run day 1 was qualifying and racing on 2 and 3. Better for the enduro stuff. Indeed about the only way they could get a 4hr sports car race (or whatever it was) running into the evening.
Old 11 Apr 2017, 12:08 (Ref:3725504)   #12
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by apriliadriver View Post
Andy is right. If coming from the South, under no circumstances use the M1 even outside rush-hour - go M40/M42/A42 and come off one junction before you reach the M1.
I travelled up M1 on the Friday before last Saturday's HSCC and it was a nightmare journey the whole way from London - roadworks, speed restrictions, jams and then the gridlock that Andy describes. 3.5 hours for 115 mile trip. On Sat. afternoon after my race I returned via M42/M40 - two hours inc a fuel stop to feed the insatiable Chevy Holley.
Nick
Friday M1 north is always a nightmare from about lunchtime onwards. With the roadworks it is not going to get better and southbound gets screwed as well.

Getting to the circuit may be challenging but anyone thinking of going into Donington should allow good time. At least half an hour from the circuit at peak late afternoon. Maybe an hour if the A42 is also very slow (quite likely) and everyone tries to cut the corner by using the village.

As for the M42/A42 route ...

purely coincidentally I have travelled to Donington from Birmingham for the past 2 Fridays leaving Brum at around 2pm.

M42/A42 was busy on both occasions but at least it kept moving at regulation truck speed.

If travelling in something smaller than a truck there are some options across country.

If the A42 northbound is clogged where it joins the M1, exit early at Ashby north and use the parallel road to Donington but watch out for the speed humps in Breedon.

For the M1 north there is the option to leave at J23 (Shepshed/Loughborough) skirt Shepshed and cut across country via Belton to the south of Donington and join as if coming in from the A42 or head towards (but not into) Diseworth then join the A453 towards the Park from the East.

Both are OK in a car or van.

Slightly trickier if towing - some parts are quite narrow - but better than sitting in traffic. Probably not a good recommendation for a truck of any size. For that Mr. Hadfield would be a much better source of information.
Old 11 Apr 2017, 16:23 (Ref:3725555)   #13
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
As qualifying is all on Friday I guess a lot of folks will be pitching up Thursday. It's a normal work day following so fingers crossed there shouldn't be too much of a 'bank holiday' surge Thursday pm.

And leaving the circuit Sunday will hopefully mean just usual traffic for that day rather than May bank holiday Monday mayhem......

More importantly- update on the local eateries / pubs please!
Old 11 Apr 2017, 17:18 (Ref:3725565)   #14
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
As qualifying is all on Friday I guess a lot of folks will be pitching up Thursday. It's a normal work day following so fingers crossed there shouldn't be too much of a 'bank holiday' surge Thursday pm.

And leaving the circuit Sunday will hopefully mean just usual traffic for that day rather than May bank holiday Monday mayhem......

More importantly- update on the local eateries / pubs please!
Any particular sort of eateries?

Most of the pubs seem to have either converted to eateries or shut down.

I drove through Diseworth a couple of days ago and discovered The Bull, an incredibly busy pub and food place when we first moved up here and always rammed full with aircrew being next to EMA, seem to have been recently converted to a large centre of village house.

It then struck me that although it was somewhere we went a number of times when we moved here the last time was more than likely about 30 years ago!

We are back to just the three curry houses in the centre of Donington ...
Old 11 Apr 2017, 17:43 (Ref:3725583)   #15
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Last year we had one meal at a pub on the road into town. Just up a side road on the right as you go down the hill. Nags Head? Wasn't impressed.

Curry thurs eve sounds my style- Rest of the team won't have arrived and aren't Indian food fans........

Any of the 3 stand out for VFM?
Old 11 Apr 2017, 18:48 (Ref:3725601)   #16
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Last year we had one meal at a pub on the road into town. Just up a side road on the right as you go down the hill. Nags Head? Wasn't impressed.

Curry thurs eve sounds my style- Rest of the team won't have arrived and aren't Indian food fans........

Any of the 3 stand out for VFM?
I've not been to the Nag's Head but Management has and was impressed.

One of the partners in the venture has been in the area a long time and generally has a good reputation for the food he offers.

I have heard that he has also recently re-purchased the Bull at Wilson (just south of the circuit more or less opposite the Paddock entrance gate) and that was very good when he owned it previously.

Of the 3 Curry Houses, one is modern style (Gandhi), one is quite cosy (Curry 2 Nite) and the third is, these days, somewhere between the two (Rose of Bengal).

The Rose has been a long time favourite but in recent years it was out of action for an extended period before a refurb and Curry 2 Nite seemed to come into its own. They are opposite each other in Borough Street. Both good. Not much in it price wise. As I recall in successive years the Delta centric crew has decided that both are the places to get the "best curry ever" so presumably either will be fine!

I have not been to the Gandhi. I am told the food is fine the ambience, being "modern", is a matter of, er, taste.

Just up the road is a small bar with craft beers and a racing related decor. Usually packed if there is an event on. Good beers.

Quite a few more places to add to the list. I'll do some preparation.
Old 12 Apr 2017, 06:00 (Ref:3725690)   #17
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Nags Head at the south end of the village is very variable, depending on whether the owner is cooking or a chef! Prefer the latter.

The Castle Inn on the main road near the traffic lights is very good and does very good food but is busy and you will probably need to book.

Gandhis, Rose of Bengal and Curry 2nite are all very good but my preference is the Rose. DO NOT USE THE Turks Head/ Maharajas/ Alithii (or whatever it is called this week), the place opposite The Castle - it is truly awful.

The Chequred Flag micro pub (racing theme) is good but no food.

The Apiary is OK but not special

The Jolly Sailor at Hemington village has recently been refurbished and is a decent pub, I think it has started doing food there recently.

The fish and chip shop in the centre of the village (next to the Rose) is good.
Old 12 Apr 2017, 06:06 (Ref:3725691)   #18
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
As I recall in successive years the Delta centric crew has decided that both are the places to get the "best curry ever" so presumably either will be fine!
What higher recommendation could there be on this planet......

Thanks both for the input. Better than trippyadvisor...... Sounds like I caught the NH on a bad night last time!
Old 12 Apr 2017, 07:50 (Ref:3725719)   #19
Rudernst
Veteran

Germany
Hamburg
Rudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
anybody entered from here to race ?

have entered both FJ races with 2 stroke terrors

RuE
Old 12 Apr 2017, 07:55 (Ref:3725724)   #20
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
Quote:

Thanks both for the input. Better than trippyadvisor...... Sounds like I caught the NH on a bad night last time!
I recommended the CSCC crowd to the Rise of Bengal and they said that it was one of the finest curries they had ever had! It's my preference.

TBH, I don't use The Nags Head any more, although it is convenient to walk there from the circuit.
Old 18 Apr 2017, 13:14 (Ref:3727553)   #21
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudernst View Post
anybody entered from here to race ?

have entered both FJ races with 2 stroke terrors

RuE
I'm there in the Tony Dron Trophy.
Old 18 Apr 2017, 16:11 (Ref:3727589)   #22
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:

If you are doing the Curry thing Mike (or any other option for that matter) on the Thursday evening I think I should be able to offer my services as a taxi for the evening.

The rest of the weekend seems to be a little bit fluid in terms of family arrangements so I have yet to pin things down.
Old 18 Apr 2017, 16:49 (Ref:3727596)   #23
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
If you are doing the Curry thing Mike (or any other option for that matter) on the Thursday evening I think I should be able to offer my services as a taxi for the evening.
After that offer, I think Thursday is now officially "Curry Night"

In other words, you're on! Rest of the team arrive Friday and aren't curry fans anyway.

Any other tenthers want to partake?
Old 19 Apr 2017, 11:30 (Ref:3727733)   #24
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Final instructions received today and good to see paddock 2 access from 1400hrs Thursday. The far paddock (1) is not accessible until 1830hrs. Most of the great and good are in 2, though....

Our class in GTSCC contains 14 cars, of which 8 are Big Healeys and 3 are E Types! Going to be tough.......
Old 19 Apr 2017, 20:50 (Ref:3727854)   #25
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
https://hscc.org.uk/wp-content/uploa...y-List-DHF.pdf