Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 18 Apr 2017, 08:05 (Ref:3727493)   #101
Oldtony
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast Australia
Oldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Couple of thoughts:
Could you run two safetycars at Bathurst like Le Mans with te second taking off from pit exit when the first was at Reid Park?
Hard on those who run them but the invitational class is probably not required any more.
Bathurst has a tradition of recovering cars back to the pits or Park ferme. How much safety car time would be saved if recovery was only to the nearest safe parking spot?
Wasn't there but it seems that the original Bathurst 500 has risen again.
Old 18 Apr 2017, 08:20 (Ref:3727496)   #102
fomoco
Veteran

Australia
Bris Vages southside
fomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridfomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ah this has a familiar ring to it.
The old Bathurst 500/1000, had the same grids
64 entry's in 69
gradually whittled down over the years

Could it be the 6 will go the same as the 12 and the 1000?

Open to professional cars / teams only?

Or does Mr O'brien , and Bathurst Council allow another race that allows Motorsport enthusiast the opportunity to race on the mount?
Old 18 Apr 2017, 09:11 (Ref:3727506)   #103
Backagain
Racer

Backagain has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer69 View Post
I assume it's the same Camry that raced in the last Bathurst 1000 in 1998, driven by David Ratcliff and Ron Searle.
The same one, resprayed red after David sold it and raced successfully in the Procar series retired for many years and recently resurrected.
Old 18 Apr 2017, 09:23 (Ref:3727509)   #104
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldtony View Post
Could you run two safetycars at Bathurst like Le Mans with te second taking off from pit exit when the first was at Reid Park?
They ran two safety cars in the 1990 Bathurst 1000.... everyone complained though when someone (was it Neidzweidz?) got a half lap lead thanks to being just in front of one of the pace cars when it came out, so 2nd place got caught behind it, and the leader could accelerate away and pick up the queue behind the other pace car...... yet no one complains when Whincup loses a 30sec lead due to a pace car in 2016.

The spot where the second pace car parked is still there up the top.
Old 18 Apr 2017, 11:50 (Ref:3727538)   #105
Team Lotus
Rookie

Team Lotus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
I haven't looked over the ruleset, but I am curious as to what freedoms are allowed these days. I do recall that back when the abovementioned Camry and MX6 first hit the track, what was allowed beyond how it left the showroom floor, was very minimal.
The modifications allowed are still very minimal:
  • Engine must be standard or rebuilt to as-standard specification (i.e., no increase of bore nor stroke, no lighter conrods, no lighter pistons, no porting, no hot cams)
  • Header and turbo must be as standard (exhaust from header-back or turbo-back (if fitted) is free) -- if the OEM catalytic converter is built in to the OEM header, it may be "de-cored"
  • Free choice of coilover suspension unit
  • Suspension geometry must be as standard (bushings can be replaced, suspension arms can be replaced with aftermarket parts of equivalent geometry to standard)
  • Drive by wire may be replaced by a cable throttle
  • ECU and engine mapping is free -- Good for turbo cars
  • Throttle body and intake must be standard
  • Brakes are free but number of pistons can only be incrased to maximum 4 front or 2 rear (unless car comes with standard with up to 6 pistons front and rear, when the number of pistons of the racing brake caliper may match the OE brake caliper)
  • Radiator width and height must match OE radiator, however thickness is free

That's pretty much it. They are fundamentally a standard vehicle prepared for circuit use. Air con may be removed, and all the safety equipment and fuel cell must be added of course.

http://bathurst6hour.com.au/sites/de...-3E-2017-1.pdf

Having read the Hyundai Excel series regulations, the modifications allowed there are very similar, and the Excels should be eligible regardless of being invited. Toyota 86 Series cars however would NOT be eligible as those cars run an aftermarket header.
Old 18 Apr 2017, 21:54 (Ref:3727645)   #106
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
As an alternative to Safety Cars, for the Silverstone 24hrs we used the Dutch Code 60 system which is extremely effective, and for WEC we had FCY which is effectively code 80 (80kph). In fact when they upgraded the FCY to SC it was arguably less safe as everyone speeded up to try to catch the SC.

As I say, both systems work remarkably well and help the teams clear up more quickly and effectively.
Old 18 Apr 2017, 22:08 (Ref:3727646)   #107
Backagain
Racer

Backagain has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Lotus View Post
The modifications allowed are still very minimal:

Toyota 86 Series cars however would NOT be eligible as those cars run an aftermarket header.
Agree with that, either run as built or let all cars run free exhaust.
Old 18 Apr 2017, 22:21 (Ref:3727648)   #108
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
86 series runs a larger brake package, too.

Headers are no big deal on the 86. 10min job to swap them back.
Old 18 Apr 2017, 22:24 (Ref:3727649)   #109
Oldtony
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast Australia
Oldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley View Post
As an alternative to Safety Cars, for the Silverstone 24hrs we used the Dutch Code 60 system which is extremely effective, and for WEC we had FCY which is effectively code 80 (80kph). In fact when they upgraded the FCY to SC it was arguably less safe as everyone speeded up to try to catch the SC.

As I say, both systems work remarkably well and help the teams clear up more quickly and effectively.
Appreciate the input Wooley.
I wonder if the code systems suit Bathurst which has many blind sectors, tight distances between fences, and of course major changes in elevation.
With that in mind does your experience indicate a preference for a constant flow of slower cars or a couple of bunched up groups while cleaning up or loading cars?
Also what do you think of the Bathurst preference for returning wrecks to the pits on a flat top?
Old 18 Apr 2017, 22:32 (Ref:3727651)   #110
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I have to say I was sceptical of the Code 60 before I saw it in action, but I'm converted. Everyone moving at a constant slow speed is much easier to deal with. They're slowed within a few seconds meaning you can get on with it quicker and there's no problem with cars pitting and trying to catch up suddenly arriving at race pace.

No reason why it wouldn't work at Bathurst just the same. You can put a marshal on point duty ahead of the clear up to direct the cars to the side as required. 60kph is basically road speed so no different from doing the same as normal road traffic.

Returning on a flat top is fine. I don't know Bathurst (yet!) but I suspect there are no internal roads so not much alternative.
Old 18 Apr 2017, 23:27 (Ref:3727666)   #111
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
They attempted to trial a speed limter for safety car situations in Supercars a couple of years ago, but I believe there may have been some technical issues with it, and how it impacted the engine itself due to the mapping required in the ECU.

CAMS should at least trial it here, and go from there.
Old 19 Apr 2017, 08:49 (Ref:3727702)   #112
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wouldn't think a Code 60 would work across the top of the mountain for a crash where a truck is required to drag a car up as it would block most of the track and they usually wait for the gap in the train to do it.

For cars bogged in the sand at the Chase or Murrays or Hell, or a car in the sand at McPhillamy, or a broken down car that has pulled off line but still in a dangerous place, Code 60 type Virtual Safety Cars will be perfect.

Only problem with the system is that it doesn't artificially close 2nd place back up to the race leader. How will the fans cope with that?
Old 19 Apr 2017, 09:00 (Ref:3727705)   #113
Umai Naa
Veteran

How will the commentators cope?
Old 19 Apr 2017, 09:28 (Ref:3727709)   #114
David Towe
Veteran

England
Glenmore Park NSW
David Towe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just a quick summation of the event from a support category competitor's point of view. I loved it, it was well run, ran on time, the organisers/marshalls and paddock staff were great, no little Hitlers there. The crowd on the Friday and Saturday was bigger than I'd expected for such a young event. I'd love to do it again.
Well done to the Dude and Luke Searle on their win.
Old 19 Apr 2017, 09:53 (Ref:3727714)   #115
bludvl_x19
Veteran

Australia
umop apisdn
bludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
I have to say I was sceptical of the Code 60 before I saw it in action, but I'm converted. Everyone moving at a constant slow speed is much easier to deal with. They're slowed within a few seconds meaning you can get on with it quicker and there's no problem with cars pitting and trying to catch up suddenly arriving at race pace.

No reason why it wouldn't work at Bathurst just the same. You can put a marshal on point duty ahead of the clear up to direct the cars to the side as required. 60kph is basically road speed so no different from doing the same as normal road traffic.

Returning on a flat top is fine. I don't know Bathurst (yet!) but I suspect there are no internal roads so not much alternative.
A majority of the recoveries that were flat tows (all the wheels on the ground) were unhooked at Skyline and let to roll down the hill towards pit lane. The lift tows could either park at Vista (Drivers left at about turn 9) until that park was full and emptied at the next SC, or had to return to pit lane. Absolutely no parking spots that would save any time from Vista to the bottom.

Code 60 wouldn't have helped with the oil cleanup after the Excel went pop. Workers were all over the track trying to clean, so the bunching of the field under SC was vital.

I was at Skyline on the Sunday, and the speed that many of the cars were carrying under SC conditions was verging (and in some cases dancing right over) the ridiculous. When you have a driver locking both fronts because they have approached a DWY sector that happens to be blind, waaaaaay too fast, you need to look at the penalties that are available and think about enforcing them.

Also, as a (now) Bathurst regular, that was a cool race. The 86's were very, very quick through the Esses, one was even hounding Mostert's Focus down the hill at one point. I'll definitely be back.
Old 22 Apr 2017, 13:23 (Ref:3728424)   #116
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by bludvl_x19 View Post
Code 60 wouldn't have helped with the oil cleanup after the Excel went pop. Workers were all over the track trying to clean, so the bunching of the field under SC was vital.
The odd discovery at the WEC was that it was less safe under SC than FCY, due to cars running at pace trying to catch the pack. With all cars running at road speed, it's easy to control where they go, leaving the track workers to do their jobs safely. And that's coming from someone who was extremely sceptical of it before I saw it in use.
Old 22 Apr 2017, 21:51 (Ref:3728461)   #117
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
The odd discovery at the WEC was that it was less safe under SC than FCY, due to cars running at pace trying to catch the pack. With all cars running at road speed, it's easy to control where they go, leaving the track workers to do their jobs safely. And that's coming from someone who was extremely sceptical of it before I saw it in use.
I was at the 6 hour at Bathurst and during every SC period there were cars running at race pace for the entire safety car period trying to catch the safety car train.
Old 23 Apr 2017, 04:11 (Ref:3728503)   #118
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Highlights on SBS right now
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 6 May 2017, 08:31 (Ref:3731421)   #119
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
highlights on fox now