Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

View Poll Results: Which driver combination will win the SuperCheap Auto Bathurst 1000?
#2 Pye/Luff WP HOLDEN 0 0%
#3 Russell/Douglas LDM HOLDEN 0 0%
#5 Winterbottom/Canto PRA FORD 0 0%
#6 Waters/Stanaway PRA FORD 2 4.00%
#7 T.Kelly/Le Brocq NisMo NISSAN 0 0%
#8 Percat/Jones BJR HOLDEN 0 0%
#9 Reynolds/Youlden Erebus HOLDEN 1 2.00%
#12 Coulthard/D'Alberto DJRTP FORD 2 4.00%
#14 Slade/Walsh BJR HOLDEN 1 2.00%
#15 R.Kelly/Wall NisMo NISSAN 0 0%
#17 McLaughlin/Premat DJRTP FORD 15 30.00%
#18 Holdsworth/Reindler CSR HOLDEN 0 0%
#19 W.Davison/Webb Tekno HOLDEN 0 0%
#21 Blanchard/Hazelwood TBR HOLDEN 0 0%
#22 Courtney/Perkins WP HOLDEN 1 2.00%
#23 Caruso/Fiore NisMo NISSAN 0 0%
#33 Tander/Golding GRM HOLDEN 3 6.00%
#34 Moffat/Muscat GRM HOLDEN 1 2.00%
#55 Mostert/Owen PRA FORD 5 10.00%
#56 Bright/Jacobson PRA FORD 1 2.00%
#62 Rullo/A.Davison LDM HOLDEN 0 0%
#78 de Silvestro/D.Russell NisMo NISSAN 0 0%
#88 Whincup/Dumbrell 888 HOLDEN 8 16.00%
#97 van Gisbergen/Campbell 888 HOLDEN 7 14.00%
#99 Wood/Pither Erebus 888 HOLDEN 1 2.00%
#888 Lowndes/Richards 888 HOLDEN 2 4.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Old 9 Oct 2017, 11:03 (Ref:3773200)   #301
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
The team could have withdrawn the car...
Or put in the other driver and argued Force Majeure or given Tim a chance to recover before getting back in the car if he'd been pulled out early enough.

Very limited options but the team did have them. The duty of care rests with the team in this case and it would be hard for the officials to intervene without having better info on the state of the driver's health.
Old 9 Oct 2017, 13:54 (Ref:3773220)   #302
Sandgroper
Veteran

Australia
Perth WA (south of the river)
Sandgroper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by fomoco View Post
What a weekend,
But one big downer:

Tim Slade:

Tim was serverly sick, he shouldn't have been allowed to continue in the state he was in.
But under Supercars rules, a driver must complete x laps and not exceed a driving time.

Supercars waffle safety for all competitors, public, employee's and volunteers;Yet they did not step in and say ,hey get him out of the car, this is dangerous.

What did they want, a major incident. Who is the medical chief , scared to overide Tim (I am a demigod )schenken.
TO hell with safety when it makes good tv and bums on seats.

So much for "duty of care in a workplace"
Totally agree on the duty of care thing. I mean he didn't look in a good way and we saw how he was also a number of years ago at the Gold Coast I believe in similar circumstances.
Had he hit someone whilst in that state Im sure we would agree.
Anyway Im glad he got out safely
Old 9 Oct 2017, 20:33 (Ref:3773285)   #303
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
Most like to cause it to mishapen and discolour.
It doesn't need heated air, AFAIK ambient air will work.

The other teams seemed to have no issue. IMO, 888 should run a duct for air from the wiper cowl at the base of the windscreen (a high pressure area, great for placing intakes) onto the inside of the windscreen. [There are even slots in the OEM Holden wiper cowl specifically to be used for the cabin air intake after all, so take air from there and direct into the inside of the screen - easy.]

It would cause some drag, but create some great ventilation.

If you recall, air intakes there were how older non-AC cars used to be. Get that flow through ventilation going! IMO modern cars (road cars that is) are dumb to not have good flow-through ventilation that alleviates the need for air conditioning somewhat.

Or if 888 were switched on, they could have added another couple of side window NACA ducts and directed the hoses to the inside of the windscreen even? [Or during the race they could repurposed the existing ducts, given they seem unprepared.] The other teams clearly had no issue with this.

Otherwise, if it must be heated air (which I don't think it needs to be) they have a huge source of heat being the engine, and 888 should have taken the initiative to fit a heater matrix, cabin fan and ducting to the car like a road car. That would provide an ample source of hot air to blow at the inside of the windscreen!

888=unprepared, very un 888 like.

Last edited by V8 Fireworks; 9 Oct 2017 at 20:42.
Old 9 Oct 2017, 22:15 (Ref:3773290)   #304
Forda
Veteran

Forda should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wasn't a heated front-screen element introduced as mandatory, following the 1992 race debacle where nobody would see through their windscreens?

Seems short-sighted to drop this, without having a suitable replacement mechanism available?
Old 10 Oct 2017, 00:38 (Ref:3773303)   #305
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 10 Oct 2017, 01:06 (Ref:3773316)   #306
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Slade Dragged From Car On Lap 153

But sounds like a bit of a mess...
Old 10 Oct 2017, 01:07 (Ref:3773318)   #307
ford71
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide
ford71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridford71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Fireworks View Post

Or if 888 were switched on, they could have added another couple of side window NACA ducts and directed the hoses to the inside of the windscreen even? [Or during the race they could repurposed the existing ducts, given they seem unprepared.] The other teams clearly had no issue with this.

Otherwise, if it must be heated air (which I don't think it needs to be) they have a huge source of heat being the engine, and 888 should have taken the initiative to fit a heater matrix, cabin fan and ducting to the car like a road car. That would provide an ample source of hot air to blow at the inside of the windscreen!

888=unprepared, very un 888 like.
Apparently they were switched on enough to organise rags on sticks with ultra strong magnets that the driver struggles to pull apart and then have that checked and A-OKed by officials before the race.

I'd find it easier to believe this for an oldschool backmarker type team but you would expect a team like 888 to put their efforts into something a little more efficient and innovative.

Yes, I find it hard to believe this team confirmed their ragstick with officials before the race (which is also before the rain and the windscreen fog problem surfaced )
Old 10 Oct 2017, 01:52 (Ref:3773321)   #308
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Slade Dragged From Car On Lap 153

But sounds like a bit of a mess...
More Here
Old 10 Oct 2017, 02:37 (Ref:3773327)   #309
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Complete a VASC Survey About Bathurst Here
Old 10 Oct 2017, 03:20 (Ref:3773329)   #310
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Foges' Bathurst 1000 Report Card
Old 10 Oct 2017, 03:26 (Ref:3773331)   #311
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Ouch
Quote:
Bottom of the Class: Shane van Gisbergen
Old 10 Oct 2017, 03:28 (Ref:3773332)   #312
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Is it time for F1-spec biometric gloves?

At what point would the catagory have intervened and told them to get Slade out of the car?
Old 10 Oct 2017, 03:32 (Ref:3773333)   #313
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
Is it time for F1-spec biometric gloves?

At what point would the catagory have intervened and told them to get Slade out of the car?
Probably never... which is a genuine concern.
Is it a fitness issue with this driver as well?
Old 10 Oct 2017, 03:47 (Ref:3773336)   #314
ForumNick
Veteran

Australia
ForumNick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In his defense... he didn't have a cool-suit, or helmet fan and the team kept him in the car...
Old 10 Oct 2017, 03:51 (Ref:3773337)   #315
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForumNick View Post
In his defense... he didn't have a cool-suit, or helmet fan and the team kept him in the car...
from the supercars article

Quote:
Slade said that getting out of the car was discussed throughout his trauma, but he’d resisted the option until the team made a firm decision following two late errors, including a spin at Griffins Bend.
Old 10 Oct 2017, 03:55 (Ref:3773338)   #316
ForumNick
Veteran

Australia
ForumNick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Team probably should have made a 'firm decision' earlier... ?

(its a bit like concussed footballers not wanting to come off - are they the best judge of their condition? was Slade the best judge of his?)
Old 10 Oct 2017, 04:02 (Ref:3773341)   #317
Forda
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForumNick View Post

His helmet cooling was diverted to windscreen de-fogging duties, as was time which would have otherwise been applied to topping up his dry-ice supplies.

Seriously, they had front windscreen de-fogging all sorted out from 1993 to the start of COTF, by way of a compulsory heated element on a glass screen.

Would there by any reason why they can't simply revert back to this set-up?
Old 10 Oct 2017, 04:09 (Ref:3773342)   #318
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Yes because the screens are polycarbonate not glass

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Old 10 Oct 2017, 04:11 (Ref:3773343)   #319
Forda
Veteran

Glass will no longer fit?
Old 10 Oct 2017, 04:30 (Ref:3773345)   #320
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Polycarbonate screens were needed after they took away the Larry Bar.
Old 10 Oct 2017, 07:14 (Ref:3773351)   #321
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....

Issue with the car?
Old 10 Oct 2017, 09:26 (Ref:3773374)   #322
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Seems to be a re-occurring problem??
Old 10 Oct 2017, 09:36 (Ref:3773376)   #323
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
SdS Unhappy At Error Crash
Old 10 Oct 2017, 09:43 (Ref:3773377)   #324
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Frosty Threw Away Result
Old 10 Oct 2017, 09:45 (Ref:3773378)   #325
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Premat Stuck At Marshal Post For The Race

You would have thought with some of the extended safety car periods that they could have gotten this car back. It was probably safe from the hilldwellers being on the inside of the track, but you might have thought a course car could have collected the pilot. Weird.