Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 23 Jul 2003, 11:28 (Ref:669307)   #1
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Claude Bourbonnais to drive in Trois-Rivieres Trans Am

Quote:
July 22, 2003

CLAUDE BOURBONNAIS TO DRIVE NO. 3 JAGUAR XKR AT TROIS-RIVIÈRES

LANSING, Mich. -- French Canadian driver Claude Bourbonnais will make his Trans-Am Series for the BFGoodrich® Tires Cup debut during the Grand Prix de Trois-Rivières July 31-Aug. 2. Bourbonnais, a veteran open-wheel and sports car racer, will drive the No. 3 Rocketsports Racing Jaguar XKR at North America¹s oldest temporary street course.

Bourbonnais will compete in the car normally driven by three-time Trans-Am Series champion Paul Gentilozzi. Gentilozzi, who ended his record streak of 183 consecutive starts by surrendering his ride to Brian Simo at Lime Rock earlier this year, is competing on a part-time basis this year.

³My goal this season is to seek out championship-caliber drivers to compete in the No. 3 Jaguar XKR,² said Gentilozzi, who will be in Road America during the Trois-Rivières weekend with his Champ Car World Series team. ³Claude more than fits that description. He¹s been competitive in every series in which he¹s raced, and has demonstrated himself as a true racer. He¹ll be a potent force to deal with in front of a hometown crowd, at his home track.²

Bourbonnais will receive backing from longtime sponsor Player¹s for the Trois-Rivières event. Player¹s is a former title sponsor of the Trois-Rivières race.

³We hope that this sponsorship will enable Claude to do well at Trois-Rivières,² said Michael Bonelli, Sponsorship Associate for Player¹s. ³There are several reasons for our decision to provide this support. We are a sponsor of the Rocketsports team in the Champ Car World Series and we were aware the team was looking for an experienced driver to compete at Trois-Rivières.

³As a former title sponsor of the Grand Prix de Trois-Rivières, we wanted to find some way to be associated with this extremely popular event by providing a ride to an accomplished Quebec driver,² added Bonelli. ³We selected Claude because he is a former member of the Player¹s driver development program who has considerable racing experience. We wish him well in Trois-Rivières.²

Bourbonnais has a long history at Trois-Rivières. In fact, Bourbonnais has competed regularly at the 1.52-mile, nine-turn temporary road course since 1985. Although this will mark his first Trans-Am Series start, Bourbonnais is by no means a rookie. He¹s competed in F-2000, Toyota Atlantic, British Formula 2, Indy Lights, along with the Champ Car World Series, the Indianapolis 500, and the 24 Hours of Le Mans. Most recently, Bourbonnais finished fourth overall at Trois-Rivières in the 2000 Players Grand Prix Grand American Rolex Sports Car Series race. Bourbonnais co-drove a Ford Lola B2K10 Sports Racer Prototype with Scott Schubot in that event.

³I¹m very excited about the opportunity to compete for Rocketsports at Trois-Rivières,² said Bourbonnais, who has 28 victories in his career, and multiple track records. ³I know the track like the back of my hand. The horsepower is nothing new to me, although there is more weight and therefore energy to deal with. I¹ll have three or four hours in the car prior to Trois-Rivières, though, and that should help.²

Bourbonnais believes he¹ll have ³home field advantage² at Trois-Rivières. Interestingly, whoever wins the Grand Prix de Trois-Rivières will be a first-time winner here, as not one of this year¹s active Trans-Am Series drivers has a victory at Trois-Rivières.

³It¹s always special to run where people know you,² said Bourbonnais, who with a victory, would join the likes of Robby Gordon and Price Cobb by winning in his Trans-Am Series debut. ³I¹m from Quebec, and have a lot of experience at Trois-Rivières. Since 1989, the course hasn¹t changed much, and I¹ve been there on and off ever since, so I think I have a bit of an advantage from the start.

³I know most of the Quebec and Ontario tracks quite well,² added Bourbonnais. ³I¹ve been racing there for more than 15 years. For sure, this is my home track.²

The Grand Prix de Trois-Rivières, Round 7 of the 2003 Trans-Am Series championship, is scheduled for Saturday, Aug. 2 at 1 p.m. The race will air live on SPEED.
I've unearthed some PR from Imperial Tobacco from when they signed Claude and Jacques (Jacques looks about 12) and from his first win at Phoenix in 1993 -- and I'm going to be interviewing him about his days with Jacques. Can't wait to see him drive again!
Old 23 Jul 2003, 12:43 (Ref:669360)   #2
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Good Luck to Claude. It would be nice to see him with a regular drive again, whether it be TransAm, Sportscars or whatever.
Old 23 Jul 2003, 15:50 (Ref:669513)   #3
Jack Man
Racer

Canada
Mississauga Ont Canada
Jack Man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great news Thanx Liz. I'm hoping to make it there this year it's one of the few Canadian tracks i've never been to.
Guess i'll leave as soon as the Stones leave the stage.
Old 24 Jul 2003, 20:48 (Ref:670582)   #4
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You ought to get to the track about September 17th then.

But if you do make it there, lets get together -- Jay and djb and I will be there working away, and other 10-Tenthers usually show up too.
Old 25 Jul 2003, 06:25 (Ref:670845)   #5
kmchow
Veteran

kmchow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Despite the Canadian gov't ban on tobacco sponsorship/advertising at the end of this year, it seems Player's is going out with a bang, by backing several drivers and series. Kudos to Players, even if they are a tobacco company!!! Canada owes it's motorsports successes all to Players!!