Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 27 Mar 2009, 22:48 (Ref:2426502)   #1
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Goodwood 2009

Anyone know it there is going to be a St Mary's saloon car race this year. Ive been told the race is going to make way for an all Mini race ?
Old 28 Mar 2009, 09:40 (Ref:2426941)   #2
ANDY J
Rookie

ANDY J should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thats what i heard aswell
Old 28 Mar 2009, 11:06 (Ref:2427011)   #3
Moosehead
Veteran

Moosehead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hope thats not true, if it is I won't be going
CSCC Swinging Sixties #128 Red/Black Mustang
Old 28 Mar 2009, 14:10 (Ref:2427110)   #4
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
I can think of a few good reasons for having a mini race (sponsorship/financial, think BMW/RR factory etc) and its the 50th anniversary, but its also the 50th of Anglias and other stuff just as worthy . . .maybe a small capacity ie under 1300 St MArys would be better, and negates the very bent V8 issue rather nicely.

If they don't do St MArys at all I think its a big mistake, times is 'ard Mr Copperfield . . .so why take away the biggest crowd puller of the weekend? and the one that more paying punters can relate to than any other.

If the powers that be have done so because of driving standards and car prep then that can only be a reflection of their ability to manage their own shop, its not like theres a shortage of good saloon cars to choose from, or for that matter fair/competitive drivers/owners. If the 'pro' drivers are causing on track problems over the owners then scrap their race!

production based saloon car racing is a big part of Goodwoods history, lets hope the minority haven't spoilt it for the majority . . . .
Old 28 Mar 2009, 17:27 (Ref:2427236)   #5
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
I would be the last person to disagree with Zef but I don't think it matters what you put on at Woodgood and a Mini race paid for by BMW seems a good idea.They will need all the money they can get.
If they had a race driving herds of goats round the place the great middle England bods who want to rub shoulders with the rich and nearly famous would turn up in fancy dress as long as they could be part of the Theatrical garden party.
It depends on corporate entertainment budget.
Old 29 Mar 2009, 00:33 (Ref:2427474)   #6
kurtiejjj
Racer

Netherlands
London, UK
kurtiejjj should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston View Post
If they had a race driving herds of goats round the place the great middle England bods who want to rub shoulders with the rich and nearly famous would turn up in fancy dress as long as they could be part of the Theatrical garden party.
Lol, good rant! Still, middle england bring in a big part of Goodwood's revenue and would the ever have been as successful without them..?
Old 29 Mar 2009, 10:28 (Ref:2427942)   #7
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
sheep herding might work . . .we'd have to have pre 66 old English sheepdogs obviously
Old 29 Mar 2009, 11:52 (Ref:2428042)   #8
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Answer.It would not have been successful without catering to the need of the English to partake in an event that allows the surfs to rub shoulders with the gentry in a totally false atmosphere.Henley and Ascot are the other two garden parties.
I don't happen to think much to the concept in this day and age but best of luck to them and Charlie March and his gang have done a brilliant job of making a money generating event based on old bags of nails racing.
Whether it is helpful for actual Historic Racing, I doubt ,with the special cars built but whatever makes your boat float.
I also understand that the majority(vast) of entrants and drivers enjoy it and its great for the punters and now with Scots, Mr Brown ,England is a semi free country with a certain amount of freedom for the individule.Leave annual rant at that point.
Old 29 Mar 2009, 13:03 (Ref:2428096)   #9
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Thanks for all your coments but about my original question.By the way John i live right smack bang in the middle of Henley and Ascot . Never been !!!!
Old 29 Mar 2009, 14:14 (Ref:2428128)   #10
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
the worst thing about Goodwood for me is I loose my local testing facility for 1/3 of the year.

although If I nailed my car together a bit better I wouldn't have to test mid summer anyway!!!!
Old 1 Apr 2009, 02:34 (Ref:2430234)   #11
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is there a thread at all for the Festival of Speed? Or is that not under the purview of historic racing?
Old 1 Apr 2009, 03:33 (Ref:2430255)   #12
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It normally appears in Trackside. If there isn't one there already you may want to start one.
Old 1 Apr 2009, 09:49 (Ref:2430407)   #13
Pretty Vacant
Rookie

England
Deepest Darkest Dorset
Pretty Vacant should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I beleive the announcement was made in Autosport last Thursday.

Sadly looks like a Mini only race to take over the "normal" St Marys.

I can see why on the history front, but surely a seperate race would have been more sensible.

I can imagine a lot of very upset people who spent good money at the early test/selection day in February. Why set this up with Masters then pull the race! Smacks of money making to me!

Not sure it will stack up as a spectacle in any way, as has been said, this is one race a lot of people can relate to and look forward to watching.

All in all very poor, hope they change thier collective minds, but thats like asking that Scottish chap in London to retire!!! Unlikely to happen!!!
Old 1 Apr 2009, 11:53 (Ref:2430519)   #14
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm a fan of the St Mary's, the highlight of the weekend for me, but I'll look forward to the mini race all the same. I'm sure it will be just as exciting, but nevertheless a great shame they couldn't have made space for it as an extra.
Old 1 Apr 2009, 13:18 (Ref:2430590)   #15
SZRacer
Racer

England
North Cotswolds
SZRacer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSZRacer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
With the greatest respect, I don't think you can blame Goodwood for not selecting a car you've spent money on preparing. I don't think anything would have been 'set up' with Masters, any more than in previous years it was 'set up' with Julius. Sure, you stand a better chance of your car being 'seen' in ObG test days and races, but that doesn't guarantee anything.

Personally (and I'm being uncharacterstically controversial here - must be spending too much 'virtual time' in the company of Mr. Ruston), I'd much rather watch the St. Mary's cars any day than a race of almost identical cars in different colours. If I want to do that, I can watch Historic Formula Ford....

James
(Probably still bitter that they haven't had a Fordwater trophy for which my car is eligible, since 2005...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretty Vacant View Post

I can imagine a lot of very upset people who spent good money at the early test/selection day in February. Why set this up with Masters then pull the race! Smacks of money making to me!

Not sure it will stack up as a spectacle in any way, as has been said, this is one race a lot of people can relate to and look forward to watching.

All in all very poor, hope they change thier collective minds, but thats like asking that Scottish chap in London to retire!!! Unlikely to happen!!!
Old 1 Apr 2009, 14:04 (Ref:2430625)   #16
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

Not being a Goodwood expert!

What connection between Masters and Goodwood,none

Masters hire the track hoping to make money and a margin,that's their job

Goodwood put on a programme that gets punters through the gate ,they are extremely successful at it,and the Mini race is probably backed by BMW and they need all the corporate money they can pull in with the downturn.It's an expensive place to run and make money.

Even if you had built a car for Goodwood how did you know you could get an entry?
There are a lot of wana goes on this forum would like to know the magic formula ,perhaps you could tell them.
Old 1 Apr 2009, 15:38 (Ref:2430672)   #17
Andy Bacon
Rookie

England
Bedford and Phuket
Andy Bacon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote: "I can imagine a lot of very upset people who spent good money at the early test/selection day in February"

So what's new? Happens every year. I know a guy who was persuaded to do the Goodwood test and a couple of Top Hat races a few years ago on the pretext of getting an entry. When one of the entries for his type of car was given to a car that had not even competed in a single race and possibly did not even exist at the time of the invitation he was livid.

Cars have also been sold as "Goodwood eligible" (nod, wink) for a lot more than appears to be their market value and subsequently gained an entry although one guy who bought at auction a vastly overpriced "Goodwood car" was more than a bit miffed when the seller built a new one and got the entry.

Certain people have made a lot of money on the back of Goodwood.

But it is still a great event, although I accept it is not everyone's 'cup of tea'.

And remember it is an iron law of economics that at the end of every boom, like the one we just had, brought about by rampant credit expansion, nearly everyone with power has got their hand in the cookie jar.
Old 1 Apr 2009, 15:57 (Ref:2430678)   #18
Podd37
Racer

Ireland
Dublin
Podd37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post
sheep herding might work . . .we'd have to have pre 66 old English sheepdogs obviously
Damn...I have a '65 old Irish wolfhound....will it be allowed?
Old 1 Apr 2009, 16:21 (Ref:2430691)   #19
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podd37 View Post
Damn...I have a '65 old Irish wolfhound....will it be allowed?
forge some papers and stick some curly fur on and you'll be fine

actually don't waste your time, just turn up with him, no one will check or notice, even if he has an Oirish accent
Old 1 Apr 2009, 17:37 (Ref:2430747)   #20
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
Big Jim in the big Galaxie is gonna be mad.Just need to keep fingers crossed the Volpini will be accepted otherwise we will head on down to Aungueleme. Which aint so bad anyway.
Old 2 Apr 2009, 00:22 (Ref:2430984)   #21
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cheers Peter, I have made a thread there.