Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 6 Mar 2009, 12:53 (Ref:2410335)   #1
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Masters announces 2009 French Festival - July 10th to 12th

Just received an e mail press release so for us mere mortals this is hot off the press.

Looks like a repeat of last years festival, F1, GT, but then there are "saloon grids". Did the Top Hat racers go last year? I don't recall.
Old 6 Mar 2009, 14:27 (Ref:2410420)   #2
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
June 09 French Historics

Place to be in June is France

Masters announce Festival at Magny June 7th.

This will be followed by Legends at Le Mans and the Dijon weekend on 17th June.

Where do all the cars come from?
Old 6 Mar 2009, 14:30 (Ref:2410422)   #3
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Why all these French races in June.

Hope it works but could screw the Dijon meeting two weeks later that is in a better place and on a much better circuit.

Most of us have that release?

Why do they do it ,these race organisers

Both threads started at once.
Old 6 Mar 2009, 14:47 (Ref:2410430)   #4
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Apologies John. As you say we were posting the same time. I've merged the threads.

You raise some good points. I've never been to Magny course but I know Dijon cuts the mustard as a circuit. However I'm looking seriously at entering this because we don't get much opportunity with our "moderns" to race outside of the UK.

Where will the cars come from? Perhaps that is for another thread.
Old 6 Mar 2009, 17:22 (Ref:2410498)   #5
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Well done Master's. That weekend clashes with Mallory HSCC,Silverstone Top Hat,and Nurburgring Lurani. Anyone got any of that powder Harry Potter uses to travel from one place to another.
Old 6 Mar 2009, 17:38 (Ref:2410506)   #6
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Bit confused over dates above so had to check- it's definitely July 10th to 12th according to Masters info!

Yes Peter, a chance to take a '70s saloon to France, so under consideration here also! The French 70s Gp1 series sounds interesting- havn't heard of that one before.

A thought- Isn't Magny where the F1 lot used to complain about the infrastructure etc? Anyone any experience of hotels, restaurants, etc. in the area?
Old 6 Mar 2009, 21:21 (Ref:2410609)   #7
SZRacer
Racer

England
North Cotswolds
SZRacer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSZRacer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, it's fair to say the Magny-Cours is not my favourite circuit. IIRC, it was one of Tilke's first designs, and is a bit like a 'we need one of those corners, and one of those corners, and one of those hairpins' etc etc. It never really allows you to get into a rhythm or to 'take a breather'.

However, I know others who quite like it.

The circuit area is pretty soulless, in the vein of Silverstone, but there are some nice villages and towns in the region. Sancerre springs to mind.

Regarding hotels, there's not much near the circuit, apart from the Holiday Inn, which is pretty decent, and has good food. It's a modern box grafted on to a traditional farmhouse.

Otherwise there's a few decent-ish and inexpensive hotels in Nevers.

HTH,

James

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Bit confused over dates above so had to check- it's definitely July 10th to 12th according to Masters info!

Yes Peter, a chance to take a '70s saloon to France, so under consideration here also! The French 70s Gp1 series sounds interesting- havn't heard of that one before.

A thought- Isn't Magny where the F1 lot used to complain about the infrastructure etc? Anyone any experience of hotels, restaurants, etc. in the area?
Old 6 Mar 2009, 23:25 (Ref:2410685)   #8
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

But it's not Dijon,Better circuit,better hotels and much better food.Pity Masters cannot do deal with French there but assume that situation is beyond repair.
Lets hope it works.
Old 7 Mar 2009, 07:55 (Ref:2410834)   #9
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
That was my thinking although it does mean I'll miss the MGCC Festival if I enter this. And that takes place on the Silverstone International circuit. I think I've raced with them before, they tend to be a bit more, let's say, "competitive", and they ran on slicks too.

Quote:
There are towns around so if we are to enter I need to organize hotels etc. But yes on reputation it is a bit lacking in services. But Sancerre is a very pleasant wine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston View Post
But it's not Dijon,Better circuit,better hotels and much better food.Pity Masters cannot do deal with French there but assume that situation is beyond repair.
Lets hope it works.
True not Dijon but neither is Silverstone, or Spa or anywhere else. What is good is that the "festival" includes all of the series, something that makes it a better proposition from my PoV.

Not sure about the politics so I can't comment.
Old 8 Mar 2009, 20:51 (Ref:2411626)   #10
Enrico Spaggiari
Rookie

Italy
Verona , Italy
Enrico Spaggiari should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Well done Master's. That weekend clashes with Mallory HSCC,Silverstone Top Hat,and Nurburgring Lurani. Anyone got any of that powder Harry Potter uses to travel from one place to another.
It clashes also with the Monza Coppa Intereuropa ....they have really choosen the right weekend...well done!
Old 8 Mar 2009, 20:58 (Ref:2411631)   #11
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

And Peter Auto's Mt Venteoux which last week announced they are accepting race cars as in period,single seaters etc.Someone needs to find Lotus 38.
Old 9 Mar 2009, 07:53 (Ref:2411898)   #12
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Dijon is the best place to go in France . . . I'm still in discussion with the committee here
Old 9 Mar 2009, 11:03 (Ref:2412030)   #13
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Do you need us to help you with negotiations Zef.
Old 9 Mar 2009, 12:48 (Ref:2412114)   #14
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
If you can negotiate fuel, ferry and race entry prices down, and/or get the exchange rate back to1.4:1 it would help, I can probably manage the rest!
Old 9 Mar 2009, 12:50 (Ref:2412119)   #15
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
According to the media the Euro has but a few months before it comes tumbling down. It's why I haven't done any european entries yet.
Old 9 Mar 2009, 13:30 (Ref:2412167)   #16
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

The Media have been wrong about most things.Euro has strenghtened today and note that every time GBP makes comeback government talks it down.The idiot at Central Bank does not help.Come back Eddie George
Old 9 Mar 2009, 14:22 (Ref:2412214)   #17
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
either way it matters little but it won't stay where it is that's for sure.
Old 9 Mar 2009, 14:31 (Ref:2412221)   #18
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

Printing money drags down value.Pound is screwed and what the people are going to do who need to buy annuities, I haven't got a clue.There is a feeling that people will continue to buy cars as they can earn nothing at bank.What happens when the whole thing crashes and any other cash except Sterling is king.It will effect racing big time as can be seen by some of the companies producing bits .Their sales are being hit now.Four major race meetings in France in two weeks is crazy.
Old 9 Mar 2009, 15:44 (Ref:2412269)   #19
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston View Post
Printing money drags down value.Pound is screwed and what the people are going to do who need to buy annuities, I haven't got a clue.There is a feeling that people will continue to buy cars as they can earn nothing at bank..
without going off on too much off a tangent do what I have done and buy some Inflation Linked Govvies.... they have already recovered from the low last autumn on inflation fears but if we get stagflation (as could occur if the quantative easing doesn't work) then they will rally a load further yet!
Speaking to one race organizer it seems that there are more cars finding new homes..
Old 9 Mar 2009, 15:54 (Ref:2412274)   #20
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
or invest in a little yellow tin top.

whats the predicted yield on 30+ Kent engines sitting in a lock up awaiting fettling . . . . .

BOT, I can't help feeling theres going to be a few cancelled or big flop meetings, theres too many meetings and not enough depression proof racers.
Old 10 Mar 2009, 06:53 (Ref:2412766)   #21
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post
I can't help feeling theres going to be a few cancelled or big flop meetings, theres too many meetings and not enough depression proof racers.
You could be right there. What's the spread of cars in this one, compared to the others that are running over the same weekend? Is there an equivalent in the UK? The MGCC festival at Silverstone would have little impact on this one.

Personally I'd like to it do for reasons stated above and indeed the French Group 1s run on treads too so no compatibility problems. Logistics may prove an issue for me though. Not insurmountable but right now difficult.
Old 11 Mar 2009, 18:20 (Ref:2413791)   #22
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
BOT, I can't help feeling theres going to be a few cancelled or big flop meetings, theres too many meetings and not enough depression proof racers.[/quote]
I too agree a lot of organisers getting nervios i think