Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 26 Aug 2009, 16:26 (Ref:2528685)   #76
Patrick Sumner
Rookie

Patrick Sumner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon drabble View Post
Without wishing to sound controversial Mallory is not a safe racing circuit and good for testing only.
Last time I said this I was shot down in flames but reading through this maybe some people are starting to come to my way of thinking....
I must take issue on this. Mallory is a great little circuit. I first raced there in ’66 in my U2 and immediately had an accident, lesson learnt don’t hit the throttle before you see the end of Gerards, particularly if its wet! I had my only accident where I broke anything and I’ve seen some accidents there. I’ve raced F5000 there when we used to average over 111 mph/lap which shows how fast Gerards is bearing in mind the hairpin. Drifting Gerards is a wonderful feeling. When the DBT went there in 2004 I jumped at the chance to race there again. The other great thing is that, like Thruxton, it’s unchanged and you can directly compare the lap times of your historic motor to its heyday.

No, leave Mallory alone, either drive slower or don’t go, its only fun after all!
Old 26 Aug 2009, 16:30 (Ref:2528687)   #77
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well said that man.I know it is a little short in distance but that said,get it right and its very pleasing,plus of course the staff are always so friendly.
Old 26 Aug 2009, 17:19 (Ref:2528713)   #78
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Nice one Patrick.If you are at Oulton this weekend come and find the Delta truck. Cold beer in the fridge for you.
Old 26 Aug 2009, 18:16 (Ref:2528732)   #79
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Alan Morgan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower View Post
Well said that man.I know it is a little short in distance but that said,get it right and its very pleasing,plus of course the staff are always so friendly.
And the best breakfasts in UK motor racing...
Old 27 Aug 2009, 08:23 (Ref:2529059)   #80
Patrick Sumner
Rookie

Patrick Sumner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Nice one Patrick.If you are at Oulton this weekend come and find the Delta truck. Cold beer in the fridge for you.
Glad you agree! May well take you up on the beer, planning on freeloading on Sunday before getting out the clipboard and going managerial on Monday for the Guards race!
Old 27 Aug 2009, 18:03 (Ref:2529406)   #81
jhh911
Rookie

United Kingdom
cawood uk
jhh911 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well said by Patrick ,who I dont know but do remember the name from formula 5000 days.One Keith Holland once said to me after a bit of an ambitiuos overtake by myself,dont listen to anyone who moans about you trying to hard ,thats called motor racing.This is the problem in historic racing,how do you take the racer out of racing?
Old 27 Aug 2009, 19:52 (Ref:2529471)   #82
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You dont even try!.High [ish] speed demo's are not races!
Old 4 Sep 2009, 17:25 (Ref:2534528)   #83
merlynman
Rookie

merlynman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dikko View Post
If you want to know a good reason for Amanda's 'indiscretion see the attached. Apparently according to a marshal she was still flat out down the straight "checking my gauges" while everyone else was slowing down for the red flags that were abundantly clear to anyone who wasn't watching their gauges and had a clear view in front of their car. It wasn't as if she didn't know there may be red flags out as she was the one who hit the car that went off......D. I put it down to 'blind' determination...
We have been asked not to discuss the specifics of this accident as it would be prejudicial to any enquiry. Well, is it true that this enquiry was held at the Gold Cup meeting and although found to be the cause of the red flag accident the driver is being allowed to race for the rest of the season and being the only driver now in contention fit enough to drive will win the championship? What was the commotion in the assembly area before qualifying when the scrutineers removed what looked to be the scrutineering ticket? Is it not cheating if a car is scrutineered on Saturday removed from the circuit for 36 hours when modifications can be made and then returned to the circuit with no attempt to re-scrutineer?
What a sad end to what in previous years has been a great championship.
Old 4 Sep 2009, 17:53 (Ref:2534550)   #84
dikko
Veteran

United Kingdom
Herts
dikko should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We have had a satisfactory result from an enquiry and a drivers meeting and full apologies by all concerned both at Mallory and OP resulting in a good ending. A report is in the making complete with statements from various parties which I am pretty sure will satisfy everyone in the Championship and will be going out in the near future.
We were all as concerned as you were Merlynman but I know now we are back on track as we were - a social bunch on and off.
Old 5 Sep 2009, 10:02 (Ref:2534851)   #85
Chris Sharples
Rookie

Chris Sharples should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I totally agree with what Dick Dixon has written in post 134. I have sent a pm to 'Merlynman' and suggested that he come and talk to me at Brands Hatch and I can add to what Dick has said.
Chris Sharples