Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 8 Sep 2009, 16:21 (Ref:2536627)   #1
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Scrutineers Delight?

OK,so we have all been banging on about the things that Scrutineers seem to miss,if everyone would like to change their 'handles' first before posting.
Just to start the ball rolling,how about Webber 48DCOEs----------with a 45DCOE Float chamber cover?

Anyone have any 'pet hate' thing's.? Other than the obvious thing of big engines.
Old 8 Sep 2009, 17:14 (Ref:2536652)   #2
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
I could probably write a book ! Are we talking about eligibility scrutes or safety ?
As for carb tops, never seen it !
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 8 Sep 2009, 17:56 (Ref:2536664)   #3
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
I could probably write a book ! Are we talking about eligibility scrutes or safety ?
As for carb tops, never seen it !
Can you get the book ready for Christmas Gordon. Will we see Sunday at Brands
Old 8 Sep 2009, 17:58 (Ref:2536666)   #4
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
As for safety, I have to unclip my harness at the rear to get to the batteries,
I took it to scrutineering and it was passed , it was only when I got in it to belt up and go for qualifying I immediately realised it wasn't right and clipped it back in.
OK it was me at fault in the first place but !!!!!
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 8 Sep 2009, 19:26 (Ref:2536700)   #5
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower View Post
OK,so we have all been banging on about the things that Scrutineers seem to miss,if everyone would like to change their 'handles' first before posting.
Just to start the ball rolling,how about Webber 48DCOEs----------with a 45DCOE Float chamber cover?
Does that mean that injectors mounted through the underside of Webers would definitely be out?
Old 8 Sep 2009, 19:35 (Ref:2536707)   #6
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcemob View Post
Does that mean that injectors mounted through the underside of Webers would definitely be out?
If that's what you've got then your had better take a 25 Lt can of octane boost to Spa so you don't get any more head gasket problems
Old 8 Sep 2009, 21:46 (Ref:2536763)   #7
Moosehead
Veteran

Moosehead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
As for safety, I have to unclip my harness at the rear to get to the batteries,
I took it to scrutineering and it was passed , it was only when I got in it to belt up and go for qualifying I immediately realised it wasn't right and clipped it back in.
OK it was me at fault in the first place but !!!!!
Mate of mine had his Westfield passed at a sprint with no harnesses in at all. He'd bought a new set, took out the old ones but left the new ones in the box as it was raining on the way there and didn't want his new ones getting wet.
CSCC Swinging Sixties #128 Red/Black Mustang
Old 9 Sep 2009, 13:16 (Ref:2537060)   #8
p261brm
Veteran

England
Shropshire & Oura
p261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridp261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Anyone have any 'pet hate' thing's.? Other than the obvious thing of big engines.
3-8ltr [at least] XK engines with 3-1/2 litre cast on the block
Old 10 Sep 2009, 07:06 (Ref:2537540)   #9
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Mate of mine was fuming because he was logbooked for an undersize towing eye, car behind him in queue didn't have towing eyes, but it passed.
Old 10 Sep 2009, 07:30 (Ref:2537553)   #10
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
I lent someone my belts at Brands because his had been discovered as just out of date, I told him to go to Rally Design where they do TRS 6 points for under £100 and he turned up at the next meeting with the new belts fitted and was most disappointed the scrut did'nt check them! But lets not be too critical we are all human I guess and at the end of the day the guys do a good job. All these comments on elligibility issues I really do think its about time you histo guys realised it is impossible for a couple of elligibility scruts to know the ins and outs of every model and the little tricks people get up to to win an amatuer event. Maybe time for a bit more flexibility in your regs to iron out the playing field.
Old 10 Sep 2009, 08:29 (Ref:2537590)   #11
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Al,as is widely known,there are a few scrutineers who read/post on here.If they get inside info,that should help make them more aware of the tricks. As for flexibility,there's already too much of that,the very reason there are so many bent cars around now!
Regarding the Webber trick,the largest factory choke size is 38mm,anything bigger,well!
Old 10 Sep 2009, 08:48 (Ref:2537596)   #12
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by p261brm View Post
3-8ltr [at least] XK engines with 3-1/2 litre cast on the block
That'd be 4.2 ltr engines with 3-1/2 on the block.
Old 10 Sep 2009, 11:14 (Ref:2537674)   #13
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Al,as is widely known,there are a few scrutineers who read/post on here.If they get inside info,that should help make them more aware of the tricks. As for flexibility,there's already too much of that,the very reason there are so many bent cars around now!
Regarding the Webber trick,the largest factory choke size is 38mm,anything bigger,well!
But its obvious until you guys are prepared to self police and name names then nothing will happen. If you know a car is bent and consistantly entered why dont you all just threaten to pull your entries till its excluded or report it to the scrut? It happens in my club two drivers were spotted with illegal engines by someone on the ball and a complaint was put into the scrut who checked it now the cars are no longer running in that class, not totally happy with the outcome but better than letting the bloke win the championship as he was on course to!
Old 10 Sep 2009, 11:54 (Ref:2537697)   #14
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Earlier this season (I think at Donington) I was told in scrutineering that I couldn't have red tape on my headlights - I thought he was taking the Mick, but he was deadly serious. Where on earth did he get that one from?
Old 10 Sep 2009, 12:39 (Ref:2537737)   #15
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
He probably thought it did'nt match the navy blue bodywork Colin.
Old 10 Sep 2009, 12:57 (Ref:2537755)   #16
Daimlerman
Racer

England
West Sussex - England
Daimlerman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin McKay View Post
Earlier this season (I think at Donington) I was told in scrutineering that I couldn't have red tape on my headlights - I thought he was taking the Mick, but he was deadly serious. Where on earth did he get that one from?
Perhaps he thought there was too much 'red tape' around already
Old 10 Sep 2009, 13:21 (Ref:2537771)   #17
jellison
Veteran

England
Surrey
jellison has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Webbers - hmm whatever I can get to breath and give the most power

3x45's on TR6 and 2x50's on the TR4

If I wanted to go slow, I wouldn't race
Old 11 Sep 2009, 05:48 (Ref:2538197)   #18
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Non FIA,you can do what you like.
Old 11 Sep 2009, 06:55 (Ref:2538228)   #19
jellison
Veteran

England
Surrey
Quote:
Non FIA,you can do what you like.
I know, its great makes you feel like you have a hand in creating something rather than it being just "off the shelf"

Whatever you fix for one scrutineer you know that it will never be commented on again my another! (Fixed or not).

Scrut is for safety more than compliance with the rules generally though.

At least we do not see the shed that used to inhabit the sport a while back.
Old 11 Sep 2009, 07:11 (Ref:2538232)   #20
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Yes,absolutely.When i first bought my car in 89,replacement panels were limited to the outer body and floor pans really,I took a great deal of enjoyment from making my own replacement sections from sheet steel and also getting the weight down to what it is.
Old 11 Sep 2009, 07:23 (Ref:2538237)   #21
jellison
Veteran

England
Surrey

I remember back in about 97 or something like that when the TR Register had really good grids of real TR's, that when at a Mallory race we ALL got thrown out!

Some "NEW" Super keen Scrut had been up all Night studying the Blue Book and found that all Sportscars later than 59 and over 2 litres had to have full cages!

Errrr well the whole of the grid back then just had the rear cage. So we appealed saying we had run like this for 10 years plus. They let us race but we had to get the mods done for the next year (some had them done straight away).

But Morgans were AND still are exempt!!!!!!!

Which I can never understand (even brand new ones - which for me is NOT Right). Should be the same for all.
Old 11 Sep 2009, 09:37 (Ref:2538326)   #22
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
I remember one meeting where we were all told that wheel weights must all be covered in tank tape
Old 11 Sep 2009, 10:07 (Ref:2538345)   #23
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Yes what was that all about Gordon?
Old 11 Sep 2009, 12:34 (Ref:2538468)   #24
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not a requirement I don't think, but a wise thing to do. They never stick properly but with tape over them they still do their job even when detached.
Old 11 Sep 2009, 12:39 (Ref:2538470)   #25
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
And also stops them from flying through other cars windscreens.