Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 26 May 2002, 14:23 (Ref:296610)   #1
Tristan
Veteran

Tristan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A race of many crashes....

Great race, but as so often happens at Monaco, a lot of nasty crashes.

Sato.
Massa.
McNish.
Salo.
Button.
Panis.
Raikonnen/Barichello.

All rather nasty, noteably Salo who seemed to be a complete passanger as something went bang in is front right wheel.

Is Monaco safe?? I say "of COURSE it is". But do you agree?? Certainly makes for great racing....
Old 26 May 2002, 14:27 (Ref:296616)   #2
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
of course it ISN'T!!!

Compared to other cicuits anyway, it's horrible. But, it's OK, and we couldn't have a championship without Monaco.
Old 26 May 2002, 14:30 (Ref:296625)   #3
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: A race of many crashes....

Quote:
Originally posted by Tristan
Certainly makes for great racing....
And exactly what great pass are you refering to? I thought today's race just showed yet again how impossible it is to pass on this course....which I don't consider great racing.

Monaco always features a lot of crashes into barriers, nothing unusual.

Is Monaco safe? Not really, but the risk is taken for obvious reasons. Just imagine if what happened to Ralf Schumacher this year in Australia were to happen at the start of Monaco.

The main problem with Monaco is the lack of run-off area. If you look at comparable street circuits in the Cart series, such as Long Beach and Toronto, they all have quite long run off areas with huge piles of tires at most corners. Yet at Monaco, the only corner to feature this is the chicane after the tunnel...and I'm sure Sato's glad that's there.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 26 May 2002, 14:30 (Ref:296627)   #4
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
Barelyfellow - don't think my respect can much lower for him. What a dreadful move to crash into Raikonnen.
Old 26 May 2002, 14:32 (Ref:296631)   #5
calais
Veteran

calais should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Inigo Montoya
Barelyfellow - don't think my respect can much lower for him. What a dreadful move to crash into Raikonnen.
takes after his teamate, doesnt he??
Old 26 May 2002, 14:33 (Ref:296635)   #6
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
He could only wish
Old 26 May 2002, 14:45 (Ref:296649)   #7
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
steve nielsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the Massa/Bernoldi thing looked very funny, Felipe must have thought he was on an indoor kart track ;-)
Old 26 May 2002, 18:48 (Ref:296815)   #8
Nicholas
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nicholas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah, "It can only end in tears...."

cue 1 lap later
Classic Eddie Irvine moments, #1
Interviewer: "Why has Schumacher got an odd shaped helmet?" Eddie: "Because he's German, he's got an odd shaped head"
Old 27 May 2002, 06:00 (Ref:297144)   #9
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The only reason the race was so full of 'action' is because of all the shunts. A few came about when passing which just goes to shows Monaco as a race is a complete procession and waste of time.

But we all know it will never disappear.
Old 27 May 2002, 06:06 (Ref:297147)   #10
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What? Otherwise a dull race? David, Pablo, Michael and Ralf in the same second for about 40 laps and David and Michael for the remaining of the race, setting fastest laps virtually at every laps were anything you want but certainly not a procession and a waste of time. Great race.
Old 27 May 2002, 06:13 (Ref:297151)   #11
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Massa looked every bit the rookie.

I thought it was a fantastic race, and to be truthful, Monaco and Melbourne have been the most exciting races.

Liz, Sato's pass on Salo was very good, as would have been Bernoldi's until Massa pushed him off.
Old 27 May 2002, 06:29 (Ref:297162)   #12
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The first four may have been together, but where was the passing???? That's right, in the pits, as per usual.

It was a procession.
Old 27 May 2002, 06:31 (Ref:297163)   #13
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I don't know why, but I found it exciting. Only boring people get bored.
Old 27 May 2002, 06:56 (Ref:297180)   #14
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
I want to see RACING - passing and dicing, not four drivers following each other in a line. How can that possibly be exciting?

The only racing was down the field, where the excitement usually is. Why bother following the leaders when we are usually guaranteed passing further down the field!
Old 27 May 2002, 06:56 (Ref:297181)   #15
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I actually thought it was a very good race for Monaco - but probably because I always like to see a Mclaren win, and with the smoke at the back in the middle stages it was always going to be close.
Old 27 May 2002, 07:07 (Ref:297191)   #16
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Well, my cover was blown!

Well Man from Oz, actually I found it veeeerrrrry exciting, for the reason I mentioned before. (by the way, there was NO passing at front, not even in the pits).

Your's truly,
Max
Old 27 May 2002, 07:21 (Ref:297193)   #17
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
Max!!!

How'd you get in here???
Old 27 May 2002, 07:26 (Ref:297194)   #18
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
On the front door like everybody else. Only wearing sunglasses, fake beard, large sombrero and a rubber parrot on my shoulder. Also bribed the doorman. But silence, you tell noone, ok?

Last edited by Red; 27 May 2002 at 07:28.
Old 27 May 2002, 07:34 (Ref:297196)   #19
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
How TF did you find that boring? Do you follow F1? That was a fantastic display of skill, especially the first session with the first three nose to tail. There's more to racing than plain vanilla overtaking - doh! How about applying pressure, withstanding pressure, forcing the car to the limit without breaking it. For my money the best race of the season so far.

DC, JPM and MS all showed world class driving under extreme pressure. Fabulous.
Old 27 May 2002, 07:37 (Ref:297198)   #20
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Yep. Fabulous. That's the word that describes best what we saw yesterday.
Old 27 May 2002, 09:00 (Ref:297234)   #21
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
Quote:
Originally posted by Glen
That was a fantastic display of skill, especially the first session with the first three nose to tail.
Sure, pressure is one thing and shows the psychological calibre of a top driver not to make a mistake for 78 laps, but how about SIDE BY SIDE racing, knife edge, mano e mano, last roll of the dice, make the other guy back down, get a car into a position where it shouldn't be.

Was there any of that? No. Sure, watching 4 drivers run in line may seem exciting, but only when there may be an oppurtunity to pass. And frankly, there is bugger all chance of that at Monaco.

As Red stated, there was not a single passing move between the top 4 all race ON TRACK. That, my friends, equals a procession, just like we saw at Imola.
Old 27 May 2002, 09:06 (Ref:297238)   #22
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Well, indeed I said that it was no pasing on track or in pits. But I also said that it was knife edge racing, mano a mano etc. In other word, great race.
Old 27 May 2002, 09:41 (Ref:297259)   #23
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Champion Porsche/Audi territory
jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!
'In full agreement with Glen. I like to think that F1 fans are a little more sophisticated than NASCAR fans, but if side by side running, inconseqential passes, are what one needs to be entertained, they are right; F1 is not the place. May I suggest the Winston Cup???

Last edited by jimclark; 27 May 2002 at 09:44.

jimclark
Old 27 May 2002, 09:55 (Ref:297265)   #24
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
No thanks, I don't like NASCAR

But I'm not talking about inconsequential passing and hours spend side by side like NASCAR. Obviously you are all missing my point: I want to see passing for wins, podiums and points on the track like every other form of motorsport throughout the world. Even if it's only one or two passes, I'm happy. But Monaco WAS a procession.

If I wanted to watch two hours of nose-to-tail with little hope of passing, I'd go watch the traffic jam on the way home from the city at 6pm at night.
Old 27 May 2002, 09:57 (Ref:297266)   #25
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
I thought it was a great race. People who are moaning about the lack of passing should think of some of the dull races we have had at Monaco in the past, and some of the incredibly dull races we have had this year, where the only excitement was living in hope that MSch's car would break down. There were a few passes & attempts at passes, and definately more than I can remember in virtually all the other races this year.
It can only be good for F1 to have a different winner, and who would have thought that DC would do so well?