Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 23 Jan 2009, 01:15 (Ref:2377250)   #1
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
F1-1967 Today

This guy is brilliant while the series market is a bit dense now, this is a wicked cool looking ride
http://www.f1-67.com/index.html

hmm what fuin this could be
the sound is likely off though no 3 liter here
Old 23 Jan 2009, 08:15 (Ref:2377348)   #2
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Hmm,

Continuation of another kind? look out gtt.
Old 23 Jan 2009, 08:15 (Ref:2377349)   #3
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
rbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
As a fun car it is OK but to try and introduce them as a racing series seems pointless at a time when we have to many championships and series and not enough entries.
Old 23 Jan 2009, 11:02 (Ref:2377437)   #4
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Not to mention a recession! Surely another modern series, like the Chevron GR8, with only a retro look to give it a very tenuous connection to this forum. However is this telling us anything about contemporary racing series?
Old 23 Jan 2009, 12:14 (Ref:2377500)   #5
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Well i will get in first. "Im up for a test drive". That ERA series did not take off but this cars looks fantastic. Good luck.
Old 23 Jan 2009, 12:59 (Ref:2377529)   #6
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
What a great toy. Is the market just track days? A race series is a little ambitious. It seems good value for money, it is difficult for mere mortals to get anywhere near a 60s big engined F1 car. Fun Fun Fun.
Old 23 Jan 2009, 13:32 (Ref:2377547)   #7
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
What a waste of time and effort.Another pretend car for pretend races.It should be in the modern section as whats it got to do with Historics.A Hondola look alike .It's going to hard enough to keep proper Historic Racing series going without these Red Herring cars and series and that also applies to the so called new Chevron thing which is not the real Chevron co but the pretend one.Is that correct Chris.If you want a pretend car buy one of those fake/continuation cars which will allow you to race in Historics for some reason ,assuming they have slots for sale.Masters have released their programme today and they along with the other race operators will need all the cars they can grab for the existing series.At least back the people who have the balls to continue to run races when I would think it easier and cheaper to cut and run.
Old 23 Jan 2009, 14:53 (Ref:2377599)   #8
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
What about those who just want a fun car for the track?
It isn't what I'd ideally want to do, but hey why not give it a go?
Old 23 Jan 2009, 14:58 (Ref:2377600)   #9
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Buy a proper car and have fun and help Historic Racing.Do not dilute it further.This and Chevron thing are kite flying.
Old 23 Jan 2009, 15:14 (Ref:2377610)   #10
Steve Wilkinson
Veteran

United Kingdom
Southport
Steve Wilkinson is a back marker
At £42,000.00 PLUS Vat it ain't cheap - in fact for that sort of money you could buy a genuine Historic single seater - so why buy the pretend one!

Having said that, I doubt that you could buy a F5000 or F1 car from the 1960s for that sort of money, so just maybe they will sell. However you would need 15 like minded sould to form a half decent grid!

Old 23 Jan 2009, 15:31 (Ref:2377619)   #11
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

No chance,There are not that many mugs about!
Old 23 Jan 2009, 16:20 (Ref:2377659)   #12
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Sort of "Grand Prix Legends" on track then?
Old 23 Jan 2009, 17:00 (Ref:2377710)   #13
SZRacer
Racer

England
North Cotswolds
SZRacer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSZRacer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hey, John, why the pussyfooting around? Why not say what you really mean?

James

Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston
What a waste of time and effort.Another pretend car for pretend races.It should be in the modern section as whats it got to do with Historics.A Hondola look alike .It's going to hard enough to keep proper Historic Racing series going without these Red Herring cars and series and that also applies to the so called new Chevron thing which is not the real Chevron co but the pretend one.Is that correct Chris.If you want a pretend car buy one of those fake/continuation cars which will allow you to race in Historics for some reason ,assuming they have slots for sale.Masters have released their programme today and they along with the other race operators will need all the cars they can grab for the existing series.At least back the people who have the balls to continue to run races when I would think it easier and cheaper to cut and run.
Old 23 Jan 2009, 18:24 (Ref:2377768)   #14
Marcus Mussa
Veteran

United Kingdom
Monaco
Marcus Mussa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMarcus Mussa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta
Well i will get in first. "Im up for a test drive". That ERA series did not take off but this cars looks fantastic. Good luck.
I'm in the queue behind Delta! Just need to get HSCC to accept a class in the Derek Bell for these - perhaps we could have a Delta version (let's discuss next week Iain!). Not sure a "new" car like this can race at all except according to modern safety regulations. The replica Lola T70's, Chevrons and so on just have to conform to period rules I presume? Maybe this guy just needs to make a deal to build a replica F5000 with somebody who built them at the time - Kitchener or something similarly odd - then they can get a HTP.
Marcus
PS is this Ian Gray the one we know in CRC?
Old 23 Jan 2009, 18:25 (Ref:2377771)   #15
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Very brave venture,is it intended as an "Off Road F1". Looks like the chassis would take it.Whatever did it cost to build in the first place.?
Old 23 Jan 2009, 18:29 (Ref:2377777)   #16
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
rbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Mussa
I'm in the queue behind Delta! Just need to get HSCC to accept a class in the Derek Bell for these
Marcus
PS is this Ian Gray the one we know in CRC?
Sorry, I have to disagree, lets hope HSCC see sense and avoid them like the plague.
Old 23 Jan 2009, 18:32 (Ref:2377780)   #17
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Are they historic cars? No.

Could they provide interesting racing? Why not!
Old 23 Jan 2009, 18:44 (Ref:2377792)   #18
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
If they provide interesting racing at modern meeting no problem. At an Historic meeting why? They are new cars and have very few similarities to historic F1 /F5000 cars. If 750MC was to introduce a series for them all well and good, it would sit along side the Sports and GT series quite well, and it is in that series where the "new" Lola's and Chevrons should be.
Old 23 Jan 2009, 18:55 (Ref:2377805)   #19
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Alan Morgan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Having said that, I doubt that you could buy a F5000 or F1 car from the 1960s for that sort of money, so just maybe they will sell.
There's a nice looking Surtees TS5 for sale at the moment on racecarsdirect for under £40K.

I must admit to rather liking the look of the pseudo F1 car, though, and it looks nicely executed. The problem is that every attempt to create a race series for historic lookalikes in the past has met with failure. Remember the front-engined 250F-ish single seater of a few years ago, the ERA single seater, the McLaren M4 lookalike that somebody made four or five years ago?

In the current climate, there may be a greater number of genuine historics available in the £40K bracket before too long, and they would surely be a much more attractive proposition.

... hang on... I seem to be agreeing with John Ruston...

I'd better take one of my blue pills.
Old 23 Jan 2009, 18:56 (Ref:2377807)   #20
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
By any chance, does anyone have any photos of that ERA single seater? Presumably it's styling was based on a 30s type car ...
Old 23 Jan 2009, 19:07 (Ref:2377816)   #21
Simon Hadfield
Veteran

Simon Hadfield should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSimon Hadfield should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Remember that the Surtees will need its engine putting back to 5 litres (from its current 5.7) before it can run in the Derek Bell series, but yes there are huge numbers of real cars of many types available so why wibble about with some pretend racecar? I would suggest that maybe all the owners of the ERA lookalikes could make up a "junior class"! (that might make another 3 cars).
Old 23 Jan 2009, 19:24 (Ref:2377824)   #22
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Alan Morgan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke_toaster
By any chance, does anyone have any photos of that ERA single seater? Presumably it's styling was based on a 30s type car ...
The ERA was 30s in name only. It was a Zetec-engined, Hewland-boxed spaceframe, styled to look like a miniature Lotus 49 (or so they reckoned). The trouble was, it was a bit too miniature, and early versions had drivers towering out of the cockpit (and towering over the rollbar).
Old 23 Jan 2009, 19:32 (Ref:2377831)   #23
Simon Hadfield
Veteran

Simon Hadfield should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSimon Hadfield should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rumour has it that the F1 1967 is none too roomy either. I would stress that I have nothing against the guy building a car like this but I just dont see where his market is.
Old 23 Jan 2009, 20:24 (Ref:2377855)   #24
Steve Wilkinson
Veteran

United Kingdom
Southport
Steve Wilkinson is a back marker
http://www.racecarsdirect.com/listin...mula_5000.html

Now that licks £42,000.00 plus VAT into a cocked hat!
Old 23 Jan 2009, 21:13 (Ref:2377880)   #25
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
To be fair spares for the F1-67 should be more available - especially the engine, bearing in mind it's a readily available GM unit.