Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 27 Aug 2002, 16:51 (Ref:366754)   #1
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
Jacques turns down CART offer

http://www.tsn.ca/auto_racing/news_story.asp?id=1898

It seems that 3 years at $50 million US is not enough for the prima donna. LOL. I knew it, Jacques is in this for the money, and the money alone. Have fun battling for 11th Jacques...
Old 27 Aug 2002, 17:05 (Ref:366767)   #2
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
11th? Seriously? How many cars will have to fall out? If JV is really careful he could end up driving for no one next year - or after.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 27 Aug 2002, 17:27 (Ref:366791)   #3
kmchow
Veteran

kmchow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, Jacques is getting paid $20M now, why would he take a pay cut of 15%?? However, I don't know what he would after '03, when his current contract is up? Would BAR renew it? How much would they offer him? In the past, his comments would indicate he is racing now for the money, instead of the actual sport.

The only way I could consider Jacques returning to CART is if no F1 teams hire him or they are only willing to pay less than a CART team would? I don't know if he would rather race in F1 for 10M or CART for 15M? Which would JV choose? Which would YOU choose? Now throw in another variable, a backmarker F1 team or a top/crack CART team???

Last edited by kmchow; 27 Aug 2002 at 17:32.
Old 27 Aug 2002, 17:30 (Ref:366795)   #4
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
I never would have left, at the top of my career, Williams, for the big bucks at BAR.
Old 27 Aug 2002, 17:34 (Ref:366798)   #5
kmchow
Veteran

OTOH, another reason why JV or other drivers/actors/etc... may demand excessive/lucridious amounts of money is that you're hot/talented/wanted for a couple of years. When your career is over, you have to live off your earnings (and living GRANDLY of course!!) for the rest of your life. And if you want to retire at 35-40, it's no wonder you need a $$$$ salary.
Old 27 Aug 2002, 17:48 (Ref:366808)   #6
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Of course we criticize JV for "being in it for the money" but some lunatic (I mean businessperson) signed him for that much! Who's idea was that and can I go 'round to visit them too?

Seriously it is a 2 - way street. I guess to be fair to JV if someone is willing to pay me to follow all them cute little cars with no fenders, who am I to say no? If they were worried about performance they could have inserted a clause concerning that. So far as I know when he left Williams it was for a better offer from BAR. If he were not performing up to snuff you know they (Williams) would have dropped him like a bad habit. Maybe the teams have to exercise a little fiscal control.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 27 Aug 2002, 17:50 (Ref:366810)   #7
Guy Goddard2
Racer

Guy Goddard2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In JV's contract is their anything stopping Dave Richards to drop JV but offer him the test driver role in a bid to force him out of BAR as he wants too but without breaking the contract arrangement or having to pay compensation?

Guy
Old 27 Aug 2002, 17:53 (Ref:366811)   #8
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Very good question Guy. However, even if there wasn't, I suspect Jacques would happily be a test driver at $19 Million US/year. After all, its plain for all to see what motivates him.

Last edited by Inigo Montoya; 27 Aug 2002 at 17:53.
Old 27 Aug 2002, 17:58 (Ref:366816)   #9
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Err....that wasn't only a contract to race in Cart, but a contract to race for BAR in 2004 and 2005, for which he currently isn't contracted to anyone. So, it did guarantee him a ride in F1 eventually. Right now he is guaranteed absolutely nothing, except that everyone knows he's only in it for the money now.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 27 Aug 2002, 18:01 (Ref:366820)   #10
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I feel that Jacques is fearing of doing a Zanardi. Alex, before his terrible crash didn't have much success in his CART comeback.
If that happened to Jacques his F1 career would be dead.
Old 27 Aug 2002, 18:06 (Ref:366826)   #11
Guy Goddard2
Racer

Guy Goddard2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Inigo Montoya
Very good question Guy. However, even if there wasn't, I suspect Jacques would happily be a test driver at $19 Million US/year. After all, its plain for all to see what motivates him.
Ttoally agree with you on the money side but would JV really accept being dropped to test driver and almost end his career in F1 with no ride in 2003 unless Pollock saves him, I do wonder if Richards is planning this move to underline that JV is not worth the money he is paid for a full time ride, Richards will loose nothing by this move as he has Button and Panis who are just as good as JV but significantly cheaper.

Guy
Old 27 Aug 2002, 19:08 (Ref:366894)   #12
allen_overy
Racer

allen_overy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
JV was in a no win situation...if he took the money all of the bashers would scream he's only in it for the money....thats why he's going back to CART

Now that JV wants to stay in F1, we get a lot of crocodile tears, with the bashers concerned over JV's future...JV will be alright, of that you can be asured...perhaps JV really doesn't want a long term deal with BAR...has anyone considered that?!
Old 27 Aug 2002, 19:19 (Ref:366911)   #13
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by allen_overy
JV was in a no win situation...if he took the money all of the bashers would scream he's only in it for the money....thats why he's going back to CART

...perhaps JV really doesn't want a long term deal with BAR...has anyone considered that?!
On your first point - it makes absolutely no sense. How could I complain about him being greedy if he he took a pay cut to drive in CART?

And on your second point - so where is he going then? Arrows, where his buddy Pollack might be able to secure him lots of money so he can tour around in 11th place for that team instead?
Old 27 Aug 2002, 19:48 (Ref:366934)   #14
allen_overy
Racer

allen_overy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Inigo Montoya

On your first point - it makes absolutely no sense. How could I complain about him being greedy if he he took a pay cut to drive in CART?

And on your second point - so where is he going then? Arrows, where his buddy Pollack might be able to secure him lots of money so he can tour around in 11th place for that team instead?
On your first reply, if we look at the whole picture, you will understand. If JV took the offer in US, that is acutally a 3-year deal, 2003 in CART and 2004-5 in BAR, full-stop. If JV continued w/ BAR in 2003, fine, but when his contract runs out, he is taking a bet that a top team, instead of BAR, would hire him albeit taking a pay-cut.

On your second reply, JV will finish out his year at BAR then hit the free agent market. Im sure he is hoping that a top team will pick him up, even at a reduced salary. Its a gamble, but a reasonable gamble. Pollock would not have turned down the offer if he wasn't sure JV could get into something better than a BAR in 2004.
Old 27 Aug 2002, 19:51 (Ref:366938)   #15
Nicholas
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nicholas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Jordi
I feel that Jacques is fearing of doing a Zanardi. Alex, before his terrible crash didn't have much success in his CART comeback.
If that happened to Jacques his F1 career would be dead.
Very true IMO. I think 50million USD (As far as I know) is fairly comparable with Jacques' current salary. He's been there and done it, not much point in doing it again really...that's how I see it anyway.
Classic Eddie Irvine moments, #1
Interviewer: "Why has Schumacher got an odd shaped helmet?" Eddie: "Because he's German, he's got an odd shaped head"
Old 27 Aug 2002, 19:56 (Ref:366946)   #16
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
I understand what you are trying to say. He would take a pay cut to drive for a better team, but not for Bar. Makes sense - but where would he go? I think what people are genuinely worried about is that he will end up without a drive of any kind at the end of next year.
Old 27 Aug 2002, 19:57 (Ref:366947)   #17
kmchow
Veteran

I just remembered a comment he made in an interview where he mentioned along the lines that a driver's paycheque reflects the talent that one has or at least what the team thinks he has. Though he did admit, he didn't think he could get as high of a salary outside of driving for BAR. I wonder what potential F1 teams will be willing to offer JV? A return to Williams?
Old 27 Aug 2002, 20:13 (Ref:366964)   #18
strad
Veteran

strad should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
""""""Well, Jacques is getting paid $20M now, why would he take a pay cut of 15%?? """"""
Because the silly egotistical pratt is going to find himself pushed out anyway.
BAR will find a way out of his contract...almost EVERY drivers contract contains a performance (or rather a lack of) clause...
I once thought highly of Jacques but his antics and attitude have left me cold.
Those who say he is afraid of flopping if he goes back to CART have come so very close to the mark..Why should he risk humiliation and disgrace in CART when he can coast and play Mr.Nightlife where he's at?
Old 27 Aug 2002, 20:14 (Ref:366965)   #19
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JV and JPM at Williams? JV and Ralf? JV, JPM and Ralf? Doesn't add up. Probably not enough room for all those egos! However, this has been a really very silly "Silly Season" so who knows?

You don't think he might go to Toyota? They can't get DaMatta, McNish appears to be expendable as far as a race seat goes...just trying to think of where he could go that has an opening and would be a significant step up - you know, actual chance of points if not a win.
Old 27 Aug 2002, 22:56 (Ref:367063)   #20
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Toyota's just signed Webber.

JV is going to be out of F1 when his contract ends. He'll need to beg and buy his way back in, hopefully after being humbled a bit he'll be able to convince Eddie Jordan or Frank Williams to take him on board for 2005.

It's such a shame... He's still a first-class driver, but I can't defend the choices he's making with his career. If his heart's not in it, he should have just retired already.
Old 27 Aug 2002, 23:54 (Ref:367079)   #21
Irv the Swerve
Veteran

Irv the Swerve should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree with Lee.
Jacques is a strange character though. He seems to be excessively proud, i could never see him taking a pay cut or begging to be in a team. Its a pity, one of the only real drivers on the grid and it appears that all of the motivation is gone.
Old 28 Aug 2002, 08:00 (Ref:367193)   #22
Jukebox
Veteran

Malaysia
KL
Jukebox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I won't be suprised if he ends up like Eddie...an overrated cum overpaid driver.
Old 28 Aug 2002, 09:31 (Ref:367230)   #23
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Apparently Pollock was holding out for $57 million which is why the deal fell through.
Old 28 Aug 2002, 09:37 (Ref:367234)   #24
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Actually when I read the headline "Jacques turns down the offer" I was somehow impressed, I thought that he would not "return to a lower series" or something like that. But then I reached the "50 millions were not enough even though Jacques was interested"..... baah...
Old 28 Aug 2002, 11:46 (Ref:367347)   #25
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jacques will end up with no ride at all in 2004. He is too old for the top teams who all either have drivers under contract already or are looking for men 10 years younger than Jacques. After so many years at the back of the grid, and given his notorious "prima donna" attitude, I would be surprised if even Minardi offered him a drive when this bloated contract expires.

Jacques is my prime example of someone who could have had it all and instead took the money. But then half the people who come over to the CART board to trash our series insist that the only thing that matters in the whole world is a big fat bank account.....

Gilles would be ashamed of him. So, as a Canadian and a CART fan, am I.