Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 23 Nov 2009, 06:57 (Ref:2587604)   #26
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro Racer View Post
not sure how you would get on with grandstands pits and other facilities but one thing is for sure it's a pretty nice backdrop.
What a spectacle it would be - but Sydney traffic is bad enough as it is... There's just no way you'd get it done.
Old 23 Nov 2009, 08:32 (Ref:2587653)   #27
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony81901 View Post
IMO the best place for Sydney to have a street race would have been around The Rocks, under the Harbour Bridge and along Walsh Bay to Hickson Road with the latter being an ideal pit area, a bit like the Wellington street circuit. Granted the locals may not have been best pleased, but the NSW government seems to have no qualms closing off the city for marathons, visiting dignitaries etc and this part of the city is mainly geared for tourism.
Is there a lot of traffic there?

Does sound a lot better.

At worst, they can each run one at a time on an autocross track around the steps of the Sydney Opera house... that ought to do the track.
Old 23 Nov 2009, 08:36 (Ref:2587655)   #28
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro Racer View Post
track i made on google maps for the rocks

not sure how you would get on with grandstands pits and other facilities but one thing is for sure it's a pretty nice backdrop.
That's pretty darn good. You could put the garages on a tugboat.
Old 23 Nov 2009, 08:38 (Ref:2587658)   #29
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan52 View Post
I thought that in the V8 Extra Homebush preview back in July Mark Skaife said they were going to remove the tree lined median strips.If they haven't done this the track will be a complete fiasco-worse than either Canberra or Hamilton.
What about Macau that's just fine, it's only 1 and a bit lanes wide in some parts isn't it?
Old 23 Nov 2009, 09:27 (Ref:2587679)   #30
FPV8U
Racer

Australia
3rd Rock from the Sun.
FPV8U should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So it will be like Indy, but 500Km...

Didn't we just have that

Don't think it will put a glove on Clipsal for actual quality of racing though..
Old 23 Nov 2009, 10:24 (Ref:2587705)   #31
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Pro Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
What a spectacle it would be - but Sydney traffic is bad enough as it is... There's just no way you'd get it done.
most of the traffic would be going over the bridge which isn't effected as it goes over the top of that area,wouldn't really disrupt traffic at all.
Old 23 Nov 2009, 11:40 (Ref:2587756)   #32
anthony81901
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
anthony81901 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nice work Pro Racer. Hickson Road is fairly wide so would be room for a pit lane, certainly at least as wide as what has been provided at Homebush. Hickson Road south of Windmill Street would be ideal for the paddock area. Traffic in the area is fairly local, servicing the hotels, restaurants and theatres in the area.
Old 23 Nov 2009, 11:56 (Ref:2587767)   #33
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Pro Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Nice work Pro Racer. Hickson Road is fairly wide so would be room for a pit lane, certainly at least as wide as what has been provided at Homebush. Hickson Road south of Windmill Street would be ideal for the paddock area. Traffic in the area is fairly local, servicing the hotels, restaurants and theatres in the area.
yeah it is a fairly wide street near the wharfs there good for a main straight/pit area, i've been around that are a little but not much.

would also be good to pitch to international audiences with the harbour bridge, opera house & Sydney tower which are some very big landmarks in Sydney that are recognised outside of Australia all in view from the track and there is plenty of accomidation in the CBD as well as things to outside of the motorsport weekend without travelling out of the city. it also gives that Monaco sort of feeling with the little marina and water for a backdrop.

i can't see that costing anymore then Homebush to set up or disturbing many much more traffic or ressidents as Homebush.

having said that though i would much prefer a perminant circuit be used but if they insist on street circuits then i think The Rocks is quite an appealing place to stage the race.
Old 23 Nov 2009, 12:28 (Ref:2587796)   #34
anthony81901
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
Agree on all points there, Sydney Harbour is certainly a bigger landmark than Homebush and uniquely for an Australian street circuit there would be a rise up Dalgety Road and down George Street. Would go past some great pubs like the The Palisade, The Lord Nelson, Hero of Waterloo, Harbour View and The Mercantile.
Old 23 Nov 2009, 14:09 (Ref:2587817)   #35
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Back on topic for a mo'

So... will #1 be a Commodore or a Falcon for Homebush?
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 23 Nov 2009, 16:17 (Ref:2587898)   #36
mspence
Racer

mspence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Back on topic for a mo'

So... will #1 be a Commodore or a Falcon for Homebush?

If the right amount appears on a cheque from Fisherman's Bend, we may not see that little pink pig on the front.
Old 23 Nov 2009, 21:47 (Ref:2588074)   #37
anthony81901
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
Ronald Dane when asked the question at the time of the Holden announcement ruled it out. Imagine the stick they would receive if Whincup were to DNF through mechanical failure and Davison won the championship.
Old 23 Nov 2009, 21:59 (Ref:2588080)   #38
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Ronald Dane when asked the question at the time of the Holden announcement ruled it out. Imagine the stick they would receive if Whincup were to DNF through mechanical failure and Davison won the championship.
Article Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Article
Paul Morris told Speedcafe...“The Triple Eight guys have finished their first car and just about to start the second one.
It isnt technically impossible is it
Old 23 Nov 2009, 22:16 (Ref:2588089)   #39
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
do they have any test days left to shake it down? if not i doubt it very much...

as noted they still have to get to 28th on Saturday...
Old 24 Nov 2009, 00:41 (Ref:2588146)   #40
RotorFan
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
RotorFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
and a burnout for Jamie
Except Channel 7 won't show it, they'll put the results graphic on top of it as usual

I hate when they do that. They did it with Lowndes victory-drifting on Sunday too, only got to see it for 3 seconds.

Everyone loves a burnout.

Fabrizio Giovanardi: I have like a banana - is the yellow car in front - that make me, you know, running like the monkey, running for the banana. When I see yellow in front, I just pushing harder and harder. I want that banana.
Old 24 Nov 2009, 05:23 (Ref:2588221)   #41
ford71
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide
ford71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridford71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotorFan View Post
Except Channel 7 won't show it, they'll put the results graphic on top of it as usual

I hate when they do that. They did it with Lowndes victory-drifting on Sunday too, only got to see it for 3 seconds.

Everyone loves a burnout.
Agreed, I just made the same point about the burnout in the podium thread.
Burnouts for the winner at each round, please.

Pro, that's a great looking track you posted there
Old 24 Nov 2009, 09:25 (Ref:2588300)   #42
FPV8U
Racer

Australia
3rd Rock from the Sun.
FPV8U should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Guys & Girls, T8 no matter how much us Fordies hate them are a extremely professional race team, if they have a VE Finished and want to race it, shakedown or no shakedown the thing will have top 15 pace without breaking a sweat.

It's basically the same as their FG with some different panels & a Holden Engine, which I'm sure they could borrow one from PMM.
Old 24 Nov 2009, 09:47 (Ref:2588312)   #43
STEALTHY
Veteran

Australia
SA - The Custom Plate State
STEALTHY should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV8U View Post
Guys & Girls, T8 no matter how much us Fordies hate them are a extremely professional race team, if they have a VE Finished and want to race it, shakedown or no shakedown the thing will have top 15 pace without breaking a sweat.

It's basically the same as their FG with some different panels & a Holden Engine, which I'm sure they could borrow one from PMM.
Its said the 1st car is 'complete'. That to me says it has a motor in it ready to go

Pretty sure it was already said they can't run it tho, maybe GTRMagic can confirm if its allowed or not.
Old 24 Nov 2009, 09:50 (Ref:2588313)   #44
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by STEALTHY View Post
Its said the 1st car is 'complete'. That to me says it has a motor in it ready to go

Pretty sure it was already said they can't run it tho, maybe GTRMagic can confirm if its allowed or not.
Of course they can run it... there is no rule stopping them.

It would be a great counter to Ford's 'Ambrose Returns' publicity, even if Mr Lowndes cant run the same car.

Imagine Holden taking pride at #1 scoring enough points to win, in a Commodore!!
Old 24 Nov 2009, 09:52 (Ref:2588314)   #45
STEALTHY
Veteran

Australia
Can they run the 'ford' on saturday, and the 'holden' on the sunday? Or is that not allowed. I'm sure they wouldn't want to jinx anything championship wise by running it before the deal is sealed.
Old 24 Nov 2009, 09:56 (Ref:2588315)   #46
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Can they run the 'ford' on saturday, and the 'holden' on the sunday? Or is that not allowed. I'm sure they wouldn't want to jinx anything championship wise by running it before the deal is sealed.
Whatever car is chosen, it has to be presented to scruitineering Wednesday next week... after that, its in the lap of the gods.

Dont forget they are only looking for a single 28th place!
Old 24 Nov 2009, 10:00 (Ref:2588318)   #47
STEALTHY
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Whatever car is chosen, it has to be presented to scruitineering Wednesday next week... after that, its in the lap of the gods.

Dont forget they are only looking for a single 28th place!
I understand that, just meant if they bring brand new VE to the track, and something goes wrong that can't be fixed, and they get 2 DNS's, not something i'd be risking (as much as i'd love for them to run a 've' as a last kick in the teeth to the haters)
Old 24 Nov 2009, 11:11 (Ref:2588346)   #48
anthony81901
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
Quote:
No, teams can only use one chassis over a weekend. In the event of a chassis being badly damaged, I believe the officials have the discretion to allow a spare chassis to be used. And 888 are a bit too professional to get involved in such childish games.
Old 25 Nov 2009, 04:24 (Ref:2588803)   #49
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the topic of 888 running a Commodore has been wishful thinking on behalf of various forums, i hardly think it ever had any substance.

The subject of the Homebush Olympic precinct in general (nothing to do with the race specifically though) came up on the Foxtel sports show "The Back Page" last night. When talking about Homebush they basically said, with regards to football games, that it was too far away from the city, nothing to do around there etc... which means it rarely attracts crowds

Auspicious words for next weekend, considering that the promoting has been pointing out the exact opposite? Or a totally non-relevant discussion?

There has been alot of pushing the event on radio in the last few days, ticket competitions on WSFM etc... but in fairness the same comps were run when there was a round at Oran Park or Eastern Creek coming up.
Old 25 Nov 2009, 04:44 (Ref:2588809)   #50
STEALTHY
Veteran

Australia
I think your forgetting that a footy game is 3 hours (Leaving the rest of the day with nothing to do), motorsport will have something on track allll day.