Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Tributes Forum

Old 22 Apr 2005, 09:09 (Ref:1284394)   #51
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
I'm not sure I believe that, I thought his health had improved a bit recently

but RIP Gerry, what a guy, I was lucky enough to meet him a few times at the Revival, first time was 2000, hes was taking the peace out of Simon Taylor I think at the drivers brief . . .most amusing !

he'll be sadly missed, another of the few remaining true charecters gone.

I'd imagine he's already met up with Tony Lanfranchi at a trackside bar somewhere
Old 22 Apr 2005, 09:37 (Ref:1284406)   #52
Finn
Racer

Finn should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This has come as very sad news.

I didn't personally know him but as a historic racer I was very impressed with his car control and sideways antics.

He will be very missed by the racing community.

My thougts go out to all family and friends.

Hopefully is having a beer somewhere above.

RIP.
Old 22 Apr 2005, 10:33 (Ref:1284454)   #53
Andy Roberts
Racer

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
Andy Roberts should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Such sad news. You will be missed Gerry. There now needs to be a "Marshalls" corners somewhere in the UK.
Old 22 Apr 2005, 11:51 (Ref:1284511)   #54
Rennen
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
Rennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Green
Like many others my memories of Gerry stem back to his days in the DTV Firenza when I first started visiting Brands Hatch. In those days he was racing against Nick Whiting etc and to see the Firenza sideways through Clark Curve was truly awesome.

Stephen.
You're older than I thought Stephen!...you must remember our car...I helped run the ex Mick Hill Boss Capri for Tony 'Strawberry' Strawson? We had some good races in 'Superloons' against Big GM...Gerry once took over my car on the skidpan at Thruxton after a race. I can see him now beer in hand watching me sideways before making me pull over and showing me how it should be done...sliding on full opposite lock side by side with another blokes Mk2 Jag only a foot apart, rev counter needle well in the red bit!! Strawson said "You only became a winner when you helped prop the bar up after a race with Marshall!"...End of an era!

Anyone know where the funeral is?

Last edited by Rennen; 22 Apr 2005 at 11:53.
Old 22 Apr 2005, 11:59 (Ref:1284519)   #55
Rennen
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
Rennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Kitson
Such terribly sad news. Another hero lost. In recent months Gerry himself has lost close friends in Tony Lanfranchi and Mike Bennion. He has been such a large part of my life. As a kid my father was a mechanic on cars that were always up against Gerry's DTV cars and later he was a joy to watch in Big and Baby Bertha. Everybody in the paddock made sure they went to watch the Supersaloons, mainly to see 'sideways' Gerry. So many stories - a legend. Here are my own memories of the big man in the painting I did that was presented to him by the Formula Saloons Club. A joy to paint thinking of he excitement he gave us on the race track. RIP Gerald Dallas Royston Marshall.
I personnally signwrote that No.14 Triplex Capri for GM!...(in the days when we had to do it with paint) GM would always ring me when he couldn't get anyone else out in the middle of the night...he was insatiable! I recommend his book "Only here for the Beer"
Old 22 Apr 2005, 12:24 (Ref:1284542)   #56
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Remember it well Rennen....
Old 22 Apr 2005, 12:39 (Ref:1284548)   #57
stuart05
Racer

England
Southampton
stuart05 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'll never forget the countless time I saw Gerry power-sliding cars at impossible angles, just because he could, and because the spectators loved it. What privelage to have seen him race.
Cheers Gerry and thanks for so many memories.
MG Metro #35 - Proud Class A Series Winner CSCC Tin Tops 2006
Old 22 Apr 2005, 12:54 (Ref:1284558)   #58
Novice
Racer

England
Rochester, Kent
Novice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sad, very sad. A real racer and a true Gent. RIP
Old 22 Apr 2005, 13:15 (Ref:1284565)   #59
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
As someone said, I bet he wanted to finish a fine career in this way. So many memories of a terrific racer and decent chap. I started marshalling only a few years after he started racing so I have always had him to watch. If you saw his name in a race you knew that there would be one driver worth seeing at any rate.

Even when he was steamrollering everyone else on the grid (Big Bertha days) he still provided a good spectacle.

RIP

Jim
Old 22 Apr 2005, 13:51 (Ref:1284579)   #60
Chigley
Veteran

England
Newbury, Berkshire
Chigley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What a loss, the world has lost one the last genuinely entertaining drivers who took and gave immense pleasure in giving his all to race and win. Gerry and "Baby Bertha" were a act not to be missed.

R.I.P. Gerry
Old 22 Apr 2005, 14:02 (Ref:1284585)   #61
md28
Rookie

md28 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A very sad loss to a true motorsport legend.

Old 22 Apr 2005, 14:24 (Ref:1284603)   #62
schrammy
Racer

England
Scratby
schrammy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
RIP Gerry, thanks for the years of entertainment.
Old 22 Apr 2005, 14:54 (Ref:1284622)   #63
JJ Jet Plane
Racer

JJ Jet Plane should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've spoken to loads of people about this and there are so many of us in our 30s/40s to whom Gerry Marshall was their first racing hero. My early days were at Thruxton in 1973/74, and Gerry was number 1. I was only a little kid but was captivated by this bloke totally sideways at Allard in a Special Saloon Vauxhall Firenza (pre-Big/Baby Bertha), the engine noise making a loud barp-barp-barp sound. It's only with my greater knowledge nowadays that I realise he must have been on full opposite-lock and steering on the throttle. Amazing.

JimW is right – even when he was steamrollering everyone else he was a spectacle.

Oh, and the number 2 hero was Bob Jarvis in his giantkilling Modsports Davrian!
Old 22 Apr 2005, 15:04 (Ref:1284629)   #64
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
Tragic news - a true legend
Old 22 Apr 2005, 15:29 (Ref:1284643)   #65
Stoowert
Veteran

Zimbabwe
Caterham, Surrey
Stoowert should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Some drivers are quick, some are spectacular. Very few both. Gerry was one. I was unable to watch him in his Bertha era, but man that man could drive!
Next September, goodwood will seem just a little less magical.
A true legend is now racing Archie Scott Brown round heaven!
RIP
Old 22 Apr 2005, 15:30 (Ref:1284645)   #66
M Greenslade
Veteran

England
Chipping Norton, Oxon
M Greenslade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have said RIP elsewhere, but just wanted to share this with you.
I have on my office wall a signed photo from Gerry which was sent to me while I was seriously ill in hospital three years ago, it is of himself sitting in an Austin Healey with the laurels around him neck raising a glass of champagne and wishing me all the best, it was taken at the Goodwood revival meeting four years ago, this has now become a family heirloom and much treasured - thank you
Old 22 Apr 2005, 15:55 (Ref:1284655)   #67
Jeff Barley
Racer

Jeff Barley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I knew Gerry.. He set up my camaro for me and co-drove my Vette at the Goodwood revival a couple of times ... What a character..
The first time he arrived in the paddock at Goodwood to do a seat fitting in my car, he turned up with two walking sticks and a badly bruised and bloodied face.. looked like he'd done 10 rounds with Tyson.. Seems he'd fallen off a monkey bike the day before.. "jeez!.. who's that!?" I heard one of the on-lookers remark, watching Gerry struggle with both sticks and barely able to stand (let alone walk!).. "That guy".. I said "Is Gerry Marshall.. and he's driving MY car this weekend.." .. and he did..
He really needed three hands.. one for the wheel..one for the beer and one to get round the pretty girls..
Too many stories.. Took me around Mallory in a TVR Griffith..in the pouring rain.. He knew when the car needed correcting before the car did.. unbelievable.. We were two up and a hero in a race-prepped caterham couldn't figure out how HE couldn't get past a TVR with a "big" driver and an almost big passenger..in the wet.. I can still see the teams jumping up on pit wall to watch the fun.. The caterham never did make it..

RIP Gerry.. A big man with a big heart and an awsome ability to peddle a race car.. sadly missed, but I can't think of a more appropriate way for Gerry to "Take the Chequer".. God speed you old Rascal..
Old 22 Apr 2005, 16:07 (Ref:1284667)   #68
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I've just found out about this. I'm devastated. We used to share a pint with him in our local.

Dreadful news. RIP Gerry.
Old 22 Apr 2005, 16:09 (Ref:1284668)   #69
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Dear old Gerry, he entertained us for so long and so spectacularly; a very sad loss indeed and whilst he was way too young to leave us, how he left us was entirely fitting; doing what he loved and was so good at. Sympathies to all relatives and friends. Gone but never forgotten; R.I.P.
Old 22 Apr 2005, 16:19 (Ref:1284675)   #70
Colin_King
Rookie

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes UK
Colin_King should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sad loss of a great racing legend.

RIP Gerry.

He will never be forgotten.
Old 22 Apr 2005, 17:45 (Ref:1284713)   #71
PTs Bro
Rookie

England
Northampton
PTs Bro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just heard.....what a sad time. He was mine and my brothers hero in the 70's and early 80's. We were always spellbound with both his driving and the court he held in the clubhouse after the racing, usually accompanied by his good friend and rival Tony Lanfranchi and very often Neville Hay.

My condolences to his family, British motorsport has suffered an enormous loss and is the worst for it.

Heaven will be a pretty wild place though with Gerry and Tony there.

Last edited by PTs Bro; 22 Apr 2005 at 17:47.
Old 22 Apr 2005, 18:05 (Ref:1284723)   #72
Gerryc
Racer

United Kingdom
Aylesbury, Bucks.
Gerryc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Gerry will indeed be sorely missed, he was always a true sportsman and a great supporter of the marshals. He epitomised what every racer should be; fast, daring, sporting and entertaining; the kind of racer that marshals enjoyed watching.

As he gave us so much pleasure would it not be possible to get up a trophy in his name, to be awarded to a competitor who, in the opinions of the marshals at the meeting, came closest to Gerry in entertainment value? I am sure that this could easily be fitted into a BRDC, BMMC or 750MC organised meeting each year. I certainly wouldn't mind stumping up a little money to help pay to purchase to trophy, and I am sure that the BRDC (James Beckett?) or the BMMC (Chris Hobson?) could arrange the collection.

How about it, what do others think of this way to remember a fantastic "Club Racer"? If enough marshals are interested it would be a very small amount each.
Old 22 Apr 2005, 18:07 (Ref:1284724)   #73
jlittlejohn
Rookie

jlittlejohn should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Very sad news, I knew Gerry from racing and he was a great character and a spectacular driver. He will be missed thoughout British motorsport.

RIP Gerry!
Old 22 Apr 2005, 18:08 (Ref:1284725)   #74
andy_b
Veteran

Canada
Vancouver (I escaped from UK)
andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!
The Gerry Marshall trophy would be an excellent idea, something which summed up Gerry.

Autosport do a Club driver award dont they? James Pickford won it this year IIRC.

a legend, I can remmeber when I was a little lad watching Betha in action thinking the Firenza was the coolest car in the planet because it went sideways

Last edited by andy_b; 22 Apr 2005 at 18:09.
Old 22 Apr 2005, 18:17 (Ref:1284728)   #75
Rennen
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
I was talking to one of Gerry's old school mates Mick Leary (whose dad Jack was actually the person who influenced Gerry to go racing) Mick reminded me that Gerry was possible the most winning racing driver there has ever been?...with over 600 outright race wins!