Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 5 May 2006, 15:28 (Ref:1601314)   #1
Hepatic
Veteran

United Kingdom
Preston-ish
Hepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BTCC Oulton - 13th / 14th May

Seeing as no one's started to discuss the Tonka Cars at Oulton yet, i thought i'd make a start

I am looking forward to it again this year, mainly because the grids are improving again and this time i'm only doing one day. Anyone that camped last year will know that due to some **** members of the public, most people only got a few hours sleep, if at all. I know this was taken very seriously by Margaret et al and i see from the instructions this year that "for marshals camping enter via the east gate to the fenced compound opposite the pit garages on the outside of the track". I'm not sure how "fenced" it will be, but i'm glad to see effort has been made to try and avoid last years disaster.

I'll reserve judgement until i see with my own eyes how this goes, but i hope everyone gets a good night's sleep and we see some cracking racing. This year at least, i'll be battling with the punters to get in the circuit on Sunday morning. BTW, if i get stuck in traffic, is there anyway i can "jump" the queues?
Old 5 May 2006, 15:43 (Ref:1601319)   #2
ian_c_uk
Racer

United Kingdom
J5 M61
ian_c_uk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm looking forward to it, only my 4th marshalling event, and after following the btcc for many a year, the first time I'll be *dealing* with them!

We're camping over.... tell me more about "last year's" incidents? Just noisy general public, or issues with them mixed in with the marshals?

Ian
Old 5 May 2006, 15:48 (Ref:1601325)   #3
Nadine J Lewis
Veteran

England
Hartford, Northwich
Nadine J Lewis should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hepatic
This year at least, i'll be battling with the punters to get in the circuit on Sunday morning. BTW, if i get stuck in traffic, is there anyway i can "jump" the queues?
As sign-on is from 10 on Sunday (I think) I don't suppose you'll get too stuck!! F3 / GT meeting queues were about an hour long if that is any help. Not sure how you jump it though.

Has anyone read the instructions and figured out which gate to go in for non-camping marshals? It may be Lodge East gate (not the iron gate!), but I'm not sure. I'll ask around off forum too!!
Old 5 May 2006, 19:39 (Ref:1601439)   #4
Hepatic
Veteran

United Kingdom
Preston-ish
Hepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian_c_uk
tell me more about "last year's" incidents? Just noisy general public, or issues with them mixed in with the marshals?
I in no way want to put anyone off camping over, but this was my personal experience with it last year...

It was a hot weekend, in fact very hot and BARC didn't even do a quick "water drop" on the Sunday (unless you count the rain that cancelled the Porsche race!!) even tho we didn't get a particulary long lunch. Anyways, TOCA attract that class of spectator that, in some circumstances, tend to be the late teens / early twenties "i couldn't give a <hoot> about anyone but me" type that generally make a nuisence everywhere they go. Pubs, clubs, football matches - you know the type.

Well last year our camping was on the field on your left as you enter over Warwick Bridge. There was a bit of rope to cordon off our bit, with spectators basically taking the rest of the field from there down to Lodge. The rope lasted all of 5 mins, and we ended up with spectators and marshals all camping in the same area. Unfortunately a bunch of lads were intent on drinking their way to oblivion all weekend, and they ended up shouting (and i really do mean shouting) all night. They even destroyed their 2 tents and left the remains in the middle of the field.

Bearing in mind how hot a tent gets early in the morning, i think i managed about 2 hrs sleep that night, and that was only after i got my earplugs out of the car at about 4am. I heard of several marshals refusing to go on post and going home as they felt too tired to do their job - i was very close to doing the same myself. I have every faith in Margaret and everyone else that they will do their damnest to ensure that never happens again, but i'm not taking the chance this year and will only be doing the Sunday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshalGirl
Has anyone read the instructions and figured out which gate to go in for non-camping marshals? It may be Lodge East gate (not the iron gate!), but I'm not sure. I'll ask around off forum too!!
Yep, its the gate down the other lane near Lodge. This map should help anyone not familiar with it.

http://www.multimap.com/map/browse.c...e=10000&icon=x

The little bit of road that appears to just disappear at the top is the usual entrance over Warwick Bridge. To the right is that really sharp turn that leads you to the A49. If coming from that direction, turn LEFT instead of the usual right and take the next right. Thats the lane with the Lodge gate on it, and as you get on to the circuit follow it round to the left to find the new campsite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshalgirl
Not sure how you jump it though.
I think i'll wear my probies to drive down in, that'll probably work
Old 5 May 2006, 20:49 (Ref:1601475)   #5
ian_c_uk
Racer

United Kingdom
J5 M61
ian_c_uk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was spectating last year so yes, I remember the weather! Sunburnt and soaked in the same day, and the porsche powerboat race was novel

Sadly yes, anything that is popular does draw in the unsavoury types, but here is hoping that is why we are on the "outside" far away from the general public, and there is a decent cordon \ signs marked as officials only.
Old 6 May 2006, 07:54 (Ref:1601600)   #6
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
This year at least, i'll be battling with the punters to get in the circuit on Sunday morning. BTW, if i get stuck in traffic, is there anyway i can "jump" the queues?
Steve,
In the 15 yrs I've done BTCC at Oulton, I have never had to queue to get in!

I'm actually quite looking forward to the weekend.
Despite not originally volunteering for it, I've changed my duty for the rest of the year back to flagging so can't wait to dust off the flags again.
Old 6 May 2006, 14:33 (Ref:1601764)   #7
gravel_monkey
Veteran

England
widnes
gravel_monkey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ive lost the forms for the fire training, any way to still get my name down for it?
Old 7 May 2006, 16:43 (Ref:1602509)   #8
spook68
Rookie

spook68 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Me and my mate (both registered on this site) are both travelling from Newcastle to Oulton for a good weekend of racing. We are not marshalls just spectators. Hope there are none of the drunken yobs mentioned in one of the previous items. Hope to make some friends down there. Myself, I am relitively new to BTCC, only starting to follow it last year after the Newcastle Media event on the quayside.My friend has been following it for years. It would be great to meet other fans of BTCC down there. We are camping for the whole weekend.
Old 7 May 2006, 17:15 (Ref:1602525)   #9
Mr.Orange
Rookie

Mr.Orange should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Are the access times to the marshal's camp site (as stated in the Officals Instructions) that rigid??? !!
I am driving up from the south coast and would like to arrive mid afternoon so I can pitch tents, cook and have a glass of sherry!!
Old 7 May 2006, 19:04 (Ref:1602640)   #10
Hepatic
Veteran

United Kingdom
Preston-ish
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Orange
Are the access times to the marshal's camp site (as stated in the Officals Instructions) that rigid??? !!
I am driving up from the south coast and would like to arrive mid afternoon so I can pitch tents, cook and have a glass of sherry!!
It depends, sometimes it can be later depending upon if any gate staff are still about and how nice you are to them. I believe the gates get locked which is why there is a time limit.
Old 8 May 2006, 18:56 (Ref:1603599)   #11
aland
Veteran

Scotland
West Scotland
aland should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
most of the BTCC fans that I know are alright, you can get a few drunken chavs anywhere but dont think that any will be causing probs this weekend at Oulton as me and my mate tend to get very very very upset if someone disturbs our sleep between the hours of midnight and 6am need my sleep so I
Old 9 May 2006, 07:30 (Ref:1603968)   #12
Hepatic
Veteran

United Kingdom
Preston-ish
i'm sure it'll be fine, but last year no one was willing to confront them in case it all kicked off. looking forward to the usual tin top mania tho...!
Old 9 May 2006, 14:22 (Ref:1604286)   #13
flying muppet
Veteran

England
Deepest Shropshire
flying muppet should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravel_monkey
ive lost the forms for the fire training, any way to still get my name down for it?
Have sent you a PM. Same goes for anyone else that has now lost the pink form; please PM me as soon as you can...

Please do NOT just turn up on the day expecting to take part, because:

a) There won't be enough extinguishers or fuel;
b) It will make me EVEN more grumpy!

I will close the list at lunchtime Thursday, or 1200 11/05/2006 for those who like numbers...
Old 9 May 2006, 17:31 (Ref:1604433)   #14
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by flying muppet
b) It will make me EVEN more grumpy!
Never known you to be Grumpy!
Are you training to be a Clerk?
Old 9 May 2006, 20:34 (Ref:1604549)   #15
brsccnw
Racer

Scotland
Culcheth
brsccnw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Mitchell
Never known you to be Grumpy!
Are you training to be a Clerk?
Careful Mr Mitchell
Old 11 May 2006, 17:11 (Ref:1606103)   #16
Ian Briggs
Veteran

Ian Briggs should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We will be joining the fun on Sunday, for Fire training and then a spot of light flagging, Having spent friday setting up and saturday runnning Shepardshield on the pirelli rally I will have several pounds of finest Kielder mud adhering to the car if anyone wants some!
Old 11 May 2006, 20:32 (Ref:1606301)   #17
Mike Kelly 1
Veteran

England
Poole, Dorset (Scouser in exile!)
Mike Kelly 1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Briggs
I will have several pounds of finest Kielder mud adhering to the car if anyone wants some!
So will it still be there when you drive past me at Nurburgring on the Thursday evening? Just found out that I am at the post at the bottom of the hill before the climb up to the carousel (139?)

Mike Kelly - Patron saint of public houses!
Old 12 May 2006, 00:22 (Ref:1606503)   #18
SRPhoto
Veteran

Wales
Wrexham
SRPhoto should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Yep, its the gate down the other lane near Lodge. This map should help anyone not familiar with it.

http://www.multimap.com/map/browse.c...e=10000&icon=x

The little bit of road that appears to just disappear at the top is the usual entrance over Warwick Bridge. To the right is that really sharp turn that leads you to the A49. If coming from that direction, turn LEFT instead of the usual right and take the next right. Thats the lane with the Lodge gate on it, and as you get on to the circuit follow it round to the left to find the new campsite.
As you know I am aware of the gate, but 2 questions:-

Are we to then drive onto the circuit at lodge and park start/finish?

I am only able to marshal on Sunday, but out of interest is "our" campsite down the dirt track and opposite the pit garages? Just wondering how good this will be if I am able to camp next year.

BMMC Member since Oct 2001
Marshalled my first Rally on 9th March 2002 (Malcolm Wilson Rally)
Marshalled my first Race on 6th April 2002 (750MC - Oulton Park)
Marshalled my first British F1 GP 18th/20th July 2003
Old 12 May 2006, 12:17 (Ref:1606961)   #19
flying muppet
Veteran

England
Deepest Shropshire
flying muppet should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Make sure that you've got decent wet weather gear tomorrow boys and girls, it's going to be wet!

Don't let the warm temperatures we've had recently lull you into a false sense of security; Saturday will start damp, and the rain will intensify as a cold front crosses the area around lunch time. Once the front clears the rain will ease off, but it will be a lot cooler, with still the possibility of more rainfall.

Sunday will be better, but the wind is still from 'up North', so the temperatures will be nothing like we have had recently, with again the chance of more showers....

Don't say you haven't been warned!
Old 12 May 2006, 12:57 (Ref:1606985)   #20
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Typical, isn't it? Weekday = warm and sunny, week-end = cold and wet. Will someone kindly have a word with whoever's resonsible for the weather and tell them they're not doing it properly.
Old 12 May 2006, 14:25 (Ref:1607074)   #21
Hepatic
Veteran

United Kingdom
Preston-ish
i raised a F.T.A with them after the first event at Anglesey this year. So far the management have failed to comment, or set up the next review

F.T.A. - failure to agree, for those that don't know!
Old 13 May 2006, 09:39 (Ref:1607780)   #22
RIXGE
Racer

RIXGE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wish i had made the effort to get up to Oulton now, sitting at home twiddling my fingers pondering on what a great weekend you lucky people all have in store! OOOOOH to be at old hall all weekend, what joy, what action. Enjoy and stay safe....

Rick.
Old 13 May 2006, 20:21 (Ref:1608953)   #23
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by RIXGE
I wish i had made the effort to get up to Oulton now, sitting at home twiddling my fingers pondering on what a great weekend you lucky people all have in store! OOOOOH to be at old hall all weekend, what joy, what action. Enjoy and stay safe....

Rick.
Rick,
Saturday wasn't that good!
A bit of a farce trying to get into the circuit at 7am with the gate firmly bolted!
More farcical (sp?) in the afternoon racing - 4 races totalling around 15 racing laps. The rest were under the SC whilst cars left in perfectly safe places (eg against the armco at Avenue) had to be recovered, ruining the racing completely.
I feel sorry for those that paid to get in today.
Hopefully tomorrow will be better.
Old 13 May 2006, 21:21 (Ref:1609002)   #24
Ian Briggs
Veteran

Ian Briggs should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Kelly 1
So will it still be there when you drive past me at Nurburgring on the Thursday evening? Just found out that I am at the post at the bottom of the hill before the climb up to the carousel (139?)

Sadly not, allthough I do wash the dieseisel occasionally, it isnt going to the 'ring, as I cannot this year. However I am in the middle of a great weekend, We ran the fastest stage on the Pirelli rally today, Colin MacRae got a Mk2 escort through only 12 secs off the fastest Scooby, we threw an Army Landrover VERY deep into a ditch, and tomorrow I have Touring cars to look forward to! (Finally back on thread)
I think that is post 130 you are on, the closing speed between the minis and the Alzen Porshe is some 90mph, be sharp with that blue!(back off thread)
Old 13 May 2006, 21:43 (Ref:1609016)   #25
SRPhoto
Veteran

Wales
Wrexham
SRPhoto should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRPhoto
I am only able to marshal on Sunday, but out of interest is "our" campsite down the dirt track and opposite the pit garages? Just wondering how good this will be if I am able to camp next year.
Cant wait to hear comments on the camp site... I walked past today (as a spectator) and it looks fine with showers, toilets and security guard, hope I am free for this meeting both days next year especially if the camp is as good as it looks and you guys did not have any problems.

BMMC Member since Oct 2001
Marshalled my first Rally on 9th March 2002 (Malcolm Wilson Rally)
Marshalled my first Race on 6th April 2002 (750MC - Oulton Park)
Marshalled my first British F1 GP 18th/20th July 2003