Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 4 Mar 2017, 09:01 (Ref:3716388)   #751
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterMorley View Post
Rosberg's answer seemed to be along the lines of F off without me you wouldn't be here....

May be the same guy I mentioned. One of my blokes had his car weighted during the 6 hours race! Last year I had a talk with a true gentleman, responsible for the last checks on the grid. Very polite (obviously not French!) and helpful too. Some of his "adjoints" have the bad habit to open the doors and dont close them carefully. OK, I dont like the safety pin of manual FE to be removed by surprise… and probably I'm wrong.
Old 4 Mar 2017, 12:38 (Ref:3716432)   #752
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Anyone else daft enough to get up at 5.30 this morning . Mrs Delta says why are you getting up so early . Sounds of the 60's with Tony Blackburn on radio 2 At 6 am . Thought the show was brilliant .
Old 4 Mar 2017, 16:43 (Ref:3716470)   #753
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Anyone else daft enough to get up at 5.30 this morning . Mrs Delta says why are you getting up so early . Sounds of the 60's with Tony Blackburn on radio 2 At 6 am . Thought the show was brilliant .
Shop in the local CoOp and you will hear stuff like that (60s) much of the time.

Yesterday they had clearly got a funding crisis in play and must have been looking for the cheapest royalty tracks available.

The period was probably early 60s but it was difficult to be sure because they were playing stuff I have never heard before most of which was truly dire to the point where I thing the artists involved would probably leave the shop if they happened to be there at the time. Utterly utterly horrible with no redeeming aspects at all.

Obviously not Blackburn of course ... but then, back in the day ...

It reminded me of a site that has a collection of bad album covers. You could imagine the music would have to have a dreadful cover if it had ever been released.

So I thought I would offer a link to it for the delight of all here. Had not looked at it for a while. The cover at the top of the page is new and had to be one of the best ever. Possibly unbeatable for true awfulness.

(Although now I have had a swift further look at it .... maybe not. There are some veritable crackers to discover.)

Here you go ...

http://www.stevecarter.com/albumcovers.htm

Probably best not to be holding a drink of any sort when you open the link.
Old 4 Mar 2017, 18:40 (Ref:3716482)   #754
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Anyone else daft enough to get up at 5.30 this morning. Mrs Delta says why are you getting up so early . Sounds of the 60's with Tony Blackburn on radio 2 At 6 am . Thought the show was brilliant .
iMHO those sort of programmes are much better when the presenter was around in period! Tony should be fine, as long as he doesn't resort to too many cringe-worthy jokes! I did hear him 'bringing back' Arnold the dog later in the prog.....

Brian Matthews was superb when he did Sounds of the 60's, and so is Johnny Walker in his Sunday slot.... Fingers crossed no more (alleged) ageism at the beeb.
Old 4 Mar 2017, 20:17 (Ref:3716487)   #755
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Being a 70 year old I can well remember "Embassy Records" that were a UK budget record label that produced cover versions of the "then" current hit songs that were sold exclusively in Woolworths shops at a lower price than the original recordings, unfortunately they were covers done by session singers and musicians.
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 4 Mar 2017, 20:18 (Ref:3716488)   #756
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
BFBS has become my favourite radio station - they play some wonderful old stuff most evenings from about 9 or 10 pm It's been responsible for a few late nights, which is better than early mornings!
Old 4 Mar 2017, 20:21 (Ref:3716490)   #757
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
Being a 70 year old I can well remember "Embassy Records" that were a UK budget record label that produced cover versions of the "then" current hit songs that were sold exclusively in Woolworths shops at a lower price than the original recordings, unfortunately they were covers done by session singers and musicians.
The stuff the CoOp had on their playlist the other day was unlikely to have been covered by anyone other than the original artiste.

Maybe I should have referred to album "sleeves" later in the post ...
Old 4 Mar 2017, 21:14 (Ref:3716497)   #758
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
How nice to see all of you youngsters chatting about the latest pop sensations.

Now; Elvis, Chuck, Buddy, Jerry, Gene, Larry, Ricky, Carl, Little Richard, Uncle Bill these are what us more mature types prefer.
Old 4 Mar 2017, 21:24 (Ref:3716499)   #759
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I was daft enough to get up at 5am - to travel to the VSCC Trial in Derbyshire. Endured Tony Blackburn on the way down. Made it seem a longer journey than it was. Music was good though.
Old 4 Mar 2017, 22:08 (Ref:3716506)   #760
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
Some were a bit "suggestive"
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 4 Mar 2017, 22:19 (Ref:3716507)   #761
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Just been to see the film on Boston Marathon bombings . It was better than Hacksaw Ridge . Did not catch who director was but the film was brilliant .
Old 4 Mar 2017, 23:39 (Ref:3716515)   #762
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Quote:
Just been to see the film on Boston Marathon bombings . It was better than Hacksaw Ridge . Did not catch who director was but the film was brilliant .
Been watching the big fight from the O2, that was an unexpected outcome, should have put a few bob on the underdog
It was Peter Berg

Last edited by GORDON STREETER; 4 Mar 2017 at 23:55.
Old 5 Mar 2017, 00:05 (Ref:3716525)   #763
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
I did see "Deepwater Horizon" by the same director that I personally liked, it was about the oil rig that went wild after a massive blowout off the southern coast of Louisiana.
Old 5 Mar 2017, 06:36 (Ref:3716585)   #764
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Quote:
Some were a bit "suggestive"
The words 'double entendre' spring to mind! Whether it was intentional or not...

Going back to Spandau Ballet, BBC TOTP evening after was from 1982 and they were on- along with Human League, Culture Club, Thompson Twins at al....

I'd forgotten how immaculately dressed Hadley and the Kemp boys etc were then. Apparently they weren't impressed by some of the concert locations they played- as the fans were too dirty!
Old 5 Mar 2017, 07:09 (Ref:3716594)   #765
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Something a bit light hearted that should raise a smile.We went to a town Saturday (Mendig).
Had Paddy with us but dogs not allowed into super markt,so,Julie got me a coffee and as it was such a nice warm sunny morning,I sat down on the kerb of the car park.Just as Julie was going back in I said"I wonder if anyone will give me some money"and laughed it off.
Five minutes later an elder lady came out with her trolley and started chatting about Paddy and making a fuss of him.She then opened her purse😂
Nein nein,ich warten fur mein Frau,einekaufen einnen.We both had a good giggle after she appologised for her mistake.
I have to say that begging in the streets is refreshingly rare over here.No shared doggies curled up on blankets and no roughly written messages about how many kids they claim to have.
Old 5 Mar 2017, 07:26 (Ref:3716596)   #766
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Perhaps you've started something Terence- you'll likely find it all changed next time you go there!
Old 5 Mar 2017, 16:38 (Ref:3716693)   #767
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
I forgot I made this of the 2015 meeting
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o23Kp2WOb_A&t=76s
Old 5 Mar 2017, 17:41 (Ref:3716700)   #768
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Interesting vids Gordon.

As ever one gets sucked into things of interest on YouTube.

Several "Look at Life" films appeared.

This one was especially interesting to those of the "Motorway" generation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgOxglry8Dw
Old 5 Mar 2017, 18:08 (Ref:3716706)   #769
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
I remember my old man RIP going on the M1 soon after it opened and got his Ford Prefect up to an indicated 60 mph, wow they were the days
Old 5 Mar 2017, 18:20 (Ref:3716707)   #770
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
I remember my old man RIP going on the M1 soon after it opened and got his Ford Prefect up to an indicated 60 mph, wow they were the days
Probably quicker than you can go on most motorways nowadays!
Old 5 Mar 2017, 19:02 (Ref:3716710)   #771
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Ah, maybe but that was before speed limits, try it today.
Old 5 Mar 2017, 20:24 (Ref:3716727)   #772
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Quote:
Interesting vids Gordon.
Did you see my vids of the "pop group" that play around our area in Mojacar, I wonder where they got the name from
Old 6 Mar 2017, 07:47 (Ref:3716797)   #773
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Read the April edition of Motorsport over the weekend (got to do something whilst Stewarding) Green Hell didn't get a very good review, I don't think I'll bother.
Old 6 Mar 2017, 09:02 (Ref:3716806)   #774
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Iain Rowley your cheque is in the post for starring in the Goodwood "Happy" film !
Old 6 Mar 2017, 10:13 (Ref:3716815)   #775
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Iain Rowley your cheque is in the post for starring in the Goodwood "Happy" film !
He looked happy as well!

TFC- I reckon whoever did the review in Motorsport wanted the film to be same as most tenthers who saw it, and it wasn't......

Talking of films, I accidentally signed up for a free months trial of Prime while buying something. Managed to find a button turning off them taking money after the month, luckily! So last eve I searched through a load of films I wouldn't mind watching, eventually finding one that didn't need money. I can now confirm that 'The Lego Movie' is worth a view (or two if you lose plot while cooking supper)....