Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 18 Sep 2001, 19:21 (Ref:147998)   #1
racer10
Rookie

racer10 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Demise Of Mika Hakkinen

WHY IS MIKA QUITING? IS IT A CASE OF THE MICHAEL'S OR JUST NO MORE PASSION. IS IT BECAUSE THE ONCE SUPERIOR MCLAREN MACHINE IS BEING OUTPACED BY THE ONCE LACKLUSTRE WILLIAMS? IS IT BECAUSE HE NOW HAS TO R-A-C-E TO OBTAIN A DESIREABLE GRID POSITION? IS IT BECAUSE DAVID IS BETTER THAN EVER? OR IS MRS. HAKINEN PULLING THE STRINGS? PERHAPS ITS BABY HUGO, AND IF SO, THE MORE NOBLE HE IS. WHATS YOUR TAKE??
Old 18 Sep 2001, 19:29 (Ref:148002)   #2
Number Juan
Veteran

Tajikstan
Sussex, UK
Number Juan has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
ever heard of the phrase quit while ur ahead? well, mika hasnt done that this year.
Old 18 Sep 2001, 19:30 (Ref:148004)   #3
nameless
Racer

nameless should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would say it is probly because he has won two championships, he's got nothing left to race for and his passion has gone. And the family gives him a reason to take a break.
Old 18 Sep 2001, 19:33 (Ref:148005)   #4
Victor Broccoli
Racer

Victor Broccoli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He's won two back-to-back titles. What does he have to prove by still racing in a lacklustre and unreliable machine?

We already know that he's the second best of the decade, and that his determination and speed over one lap is rivaled by nobody. The shot of Mika's McLaren with no wheels on the ground says it all.

He has a family now. He shouldn't have to worry about this. We should just give this champion the proper send-off he deserves.
Old 18 Sep 2001, 19:35 (Ref:148007)   #5
Redneck
Racer

Redneck should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mika has been much more emotionally involved in racing than most. He is burned out for now. Nike Lauda took a 2 year sabatical and came back for another championship. I do not think Mika's career is over.
Old 18 Sep 2001, 19:58 (Ref:148019)   #6
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
There has been a *lot* of politics behind the scene - much more than most will be aware of... this will almost certainly come out in the future when Mika decides the time is right...
Old 18 Sep 2001, 20:04 (Ref:148026)   #7
Raoul Duke
Veteran

Raoul Duke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mika is having a year very similar to Damon Hill's final year in F1. His heart just doesn't seem to be in it anymore, and I question whether or not this "sabatical" will do him any good, or if it's just best for him to retire alltogether. I will be sad to see Mika go, I have found memories of seeing him beat TGF throughought the 98 and 99 seasons. But every driver's time to retire comes eventually.
Old 18 Sep 2001, 20:15 (Ref:148036)   #8
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally posted by Victor Broccoli
He's won two back-to-back titles. What does he have to prove by still racing in a lacklustre and unreliable machine?

We already know that he's the second best of the decade, and that his determination and speed over one lap is rivaled by nobody. The shot of Mika's McLaren with no wheels on the ground says it all.

He has a family now. He shouldn't have to worry about this. We should just give this champion the proper send-off he deserves.
perfect Victor! you explained it in a nut shell..End of story, thank you Mika for providing some realy fantastic driving for us to watch over the last ten years or so..Mr Hakkinen a true gentleman, I will really miss him
Old 18 Sep 2001, 21:08 (Ref:148077)   #9
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This isn't the "demise" of Mika, and thank heavens for that! It is only the retirement of Mika, and I'm sure we will see him round the place in the future. He's a man who knows what he wants - and after coming back from near-death to win back-to-back championships, I believe he has proved anything he may have had to prove (he didn't have to prove anything to ME) and now if he'd rather stay home and enjoy his family, good for him.

It's a wise man who knows what he wants and is strong enough to go for it.
Old 18 Sep 2001, 21:31 (Ref:148089)   #10
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
When I read the title, I thought "somebody's gone crazy".

But Liz said it right.

Ditto Liz.
Old 18 Sep 2001, 21:41 (Ref:148092)   #11
The Moon Monkey
Racer

Ireland
The Temples of Syrinx
The Moon Monkey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mika clearly feels that McLaren will not be that competitive in 2002 - hence he is bailing out. He proved at Silverstone that he could still win races. There is little point in Hakkinen racing for the sake of it at this point in his career after 2 title wins.

He has generally been poor this season because of the car. Maybe this is why Coulthard has looked good in comparison...?

I think it is similar to 92 when Gerhard Berger ran Senna close in the McLaren Honda team. 3-2 to Senna in wins and I think they were separated by a point at the end of the season. The point was that the McLaren team was unable to challenge Mansell in the Williams. Like this year, Hakkinen (and Senna in 92) were run alot closer by team mates who were normally inferior in a situation of being less competitive as a whole.

I think Hakkinen could still win another title - whether he gets a chance remains to be seen...
Old 18 Sep 2001, 22:28 (Ref:148116)   #12
Alan Jones
Veteran

Alan Jones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Fantastic driver but the thing I will miss the most is his post race interviews, Mika is a witty dude with a great sense of humour
Old 18 Sep 2001, 23:17 (Ref:148128)   #13
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
God, the title of this topic scared me...

It's nice to know that Mika has been decisive about his future. It means he can go out on a celebration at the end of the season, and it means McLaren and Kimi Raikkonen can start to prepare early.

And after a couple of years of looking after Hugo and generally getting under Erja's feet, no doubt Mika will want a new challenge. How about Sports Cars, or Historics - something to exercise the competitive instinct and stir the soul.
Old 18 Sep 2001, 23:32 (Ref:148132)   #14
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
What amuzes me is all that **** Keke Rosberg was spouting like "he has a seat for 2002" and "he will be at Mclaren in 2002" etc.
Old 19 Sep 2001, 00:22 (Ref:148138)   #15
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Demise of Mika Hakkinen???

No, no. He's just retiring and thankfully it was his own decision, contrary to popular opinion which says he has been forced to make way.

Mika's won two titles, numerous races, has proved he's at just about the level of TGF, so he is now leaving the sport to raise his family, and good for him.

Hakkinen has had enough. Unlike certain other drivers, he is not after records, he wants to win for the pure pleasure of winning and race for the pleasure of racing. And this year has brought him no pleasure whatsoever.

I want to say thankyou to you Mika, for the wonderful memories that you have given us all and wish you the best of luck in all your future endeavours. Perhaps we may even see you around the paddock once more.

Signed

A Proud Mika Supporter
Old 19 Sep 2001, 02:37 (Ref:148163)   #16
AGGY
Racer

AGGY should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by AlanJones
Fantastic driver but the thing I will miss the most is his post race interviews, Mika is a witty dude with a great sense of humour
Yes i`ll second that...but i do wonder if people can return and win after two years...he would have to go to a competitive team,the owner might question his season long resolve.
Old 19 Sep 2001, 12:00 (Ref:148267)   #17
downforce
Veteran

India
Bangalore
downforce should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Michael will miss him the most, but Juan will keep him busy!
Old 19 Sep 2001, 12:18 (Ref:148269)   #18
Airhead
Veteran

Airhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAirhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Mika,

The guy who beat his team mate in qualifying for his first GP. One Aryton Senna. The guy who drove the wheels off an uncompetitive car after Honda pulled the pin for year after year. The guy who nearly died while driving for the team in Adelaide. The guy who won two World Drivers Championships back to back. The guy who is blindingly quick and can race the best of them. These two attributes don't always go together.

The guy with such an attractive wife...
Old 19 Sep 2001, 13:50 (Ref:148286)   #19
ljakse
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade, Serbia
ljakse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridljakse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by AMoffat
Mika,

The guy who beat his team mate in qualifying for his first GP. One Aryton Senna. The guy who drove the wheels off an uncompetitive car after Honda pulled the pin for year after year. The guy who nearly died while driving for the team in Adelaide. The guy who won two World Drivers Championships back to back. The guy who is blindingly quick and can race the best of them. These two attributes don't always go together.

The guy with such an attractive wife...
Amen!

Mr. Hakkinen!
Have fun throughout next year, and please, come back with a vengeance in '02.
Your most devoted fan.
Old 19 Sep 2001, 15:18 (Ref:148312)   #20
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
Ditto Liz and Victor - this isn't a demise, it's a retirement.

Mika has nothing left to prove now. He was nearly killed a few years ago, and to come back and win two world championships is a phenomenal achievement. But I don't think his heart is in it anymore, so it's best that he goes now. It would be a shame to see him endure another season like this one.
Old 19 Sep 2001, 15:45 (Ref:148325)   #21
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Hugo

I think it comes down to having the little one now. He wants to spend time with him. I think the sheer travellign of the F1 lifestyle now feels too much for him. Spending some time at home will allow him to think about whether he wants to return. BUt of ocurse, if he deos, where? Will McLAren dump DC in his favour if he returns? Would he have a crack at CART or Sportscars? Maybe he'd join a midgrid team and try to develop them.
Old 19 Sep 2001, 17:30 (Ref:148368)   #22
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
racer10, I think each of the points you raise is a factor. And I don't think he'll be back as a driver. Maybe when Keke said he had a place lined up for next season , it's as a spokesman for Mercedes. Oh, and please turn off the caps Lock button on your computer, there's no need to yell.

Moffat, you poor misguided soul, Hakkinen outqualified Senna in his first race for McLaren, but had been test driver for the full season and he knew the car as well as anyone, and had two seasons in the lamentable Team Lotus before his hiatus in '93.

I will miss Mika, he's been a true Gentleman, but the time has come to go, and he is going gracefully.
Old 19 Sep 2001, 18:59 (Ref:148402)   #23
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
We talked about through the season, and now I'm glad he made the right move.

Mika's retirement and a possible move for Alesi to CART, and a fine generation of F1 is gone. Will we ever think the same about the current drivers when in the future they quit ?
Old 20 Sep 2001, 13:00 (Ref:148670)   #24
ljakse
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade, Serbia
ljakse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridljakse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Bononi

Mika's retirement and a possible move for Alesi to CART, and a fine generation of F1 is gone. Will we ever think the same about the current drivers when in the future they quit ?

I wish we will, I just wish...