Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 27 Nov 2017, 16:34 (Ref:3783523)   #26
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
for those who want to read more about the logo, comments the design firm/team, and how they hope to implement these design concepts (of which the logo is just one part).

for those interested in this kind of stuff then there is a lot of interesting insights...for those that dont like this kind of stuff then its filled with a lot of empty platitudes.

so fun for everybody!

https://www.creativereview.co.uk/for...ennedy-london/
Old 27 Nov 2017, 16:40 (Ref:3783525)   #27
loon
Racer

loon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridloon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
reminds me of Niki Lauda's airline logo
Old 27 Nov 2017, 17:03 (Ref:3783530)   #28
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
i think a lot of people would enjoy the sport a bit more if they weren't so pessimistic and didn't immediately revert to criticism all the time.
I don't think you mean just me as you quoted me below the text above. And I agree 100% with your sentiment. But... for me, I am not being critical just to be critical. I also try to celebrate the positives when I see them.

Quote:
they said they would, so they did. it's an entire rebranding exercise, not just a new logo. the new logo is a symptom of the rebranding, not the centre of it. it kind of did deserve a big fanfare because like the marketing video says, it's a new era. both in promotional guff sense and real life.
How did that video sell me or anyone on it being a new era or anything special? I stand by my comments.

That video is now on YouTube (posted by Formula 1 itself).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0za98VMTPck

It is titled "A New Era Awaits | 2018 F1 Logo Reveal". Clearly it is more about the logo and less about a "new era". God help us if a new logo defines a new era!

Some may say its easy to be an armchair quarterback on this stuff, but I don't think hindsight is required to see this should have been done differently. I would have...

1. Not introduced the logo on the podium if the logo was the only thing new to introduce. If they wanted to do something special on the podium (such as a video), then focus on the "product" and the 2018 season

2. They are missing a new story to tell. For example, it could contain something like... new venues, new fan experiences, etc. Tell us why the new ownership will define a new era. You could fold in new logo and other "design" elements at that same time, but they are ancillary and not the centerpiece. Rebranding has to be more than just logo, color palettes, etc. They also need to have a new message. That was missing.

IMHO this was a marketing faceplant. However, I can imagine there was a mandate to do something on the podium at the end of the year. Some of the examples I mention above (new this that and the other things) are likely just not ready enough to be promoted.

Richard
Old 27 Nov 2017, 17:05 (Ref:3783532)   #29
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Here is a very quick photoshop edit of the new logo. The fact that it's F1 is much clearer and so is more obvious brand.

Click image for larger version

Name:	formula-1-new-logo copy.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	50768
Old 27 Nov 2017, 17:19 (Ref:3783534)   #30
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsBrutesFan View Post
Here is a very quick photoshop edit of the new logo. The fact that it's F1 is much clearer and so is more obvious brand.

Attachment 50768
I like that, simple and straight forward.
Old 27 Nov 2017, 17:31 (Ref:3783536)   #31
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Apparently the font they are using makes some words almost unreadable. This seems to revolve around the strange letter 'a' they have chosen . There is an example of this on another forum which shows how the a links to other letters making the word hard to decipher.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk
Old 27 Nov 2017, 19:30 (Ref:3783568)   #32
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Can I just throw in my succinctly argued viewpoint?

I'm not really all that bothered.

Apologies for sitting on the fence......
Old 27 Nov 2017, 20:10 (Ref:3783582)   #33
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Can I just throw in my succinctly argued viewpoint?

I'm not really all that bothered.

Apologies for sitting on the fence......
Get out. We'll have none of that here. Pick an extremist view and be done with it!
Old 27 Nov 2017, 21:22 (Ref:3783590)   #34
Alfaholic
Veteran

England
Felixstowe
Alfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAlfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
Has a simple and clean look.
Unlike the cars! Needs more winglets, flick-ups and strakes to reflect modern F1
Old 28 Nov 2017, 11:12 (Ref:3783745)   #35
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
Get out. We'll have none of that here. Pick an extremist view and be done with it!
I'm with Ayse on this one. I'm extremely not bothered at all.
Old 28 Nov 2017, 11:58 (Ref:3783750)   #36
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
F1Guy User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
I'm with Ayse on this one. I'm extremely not bothered at all.
Old 28 Nov 2017, 13:58 (Ref:3783771)   #37
LC2guy
Veteran

United Kingdom
Silverstone
LC2guy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridLC2guy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
F1 has a new logo ?
Old 28 Nov 2017, 14:04 (Ref:3783772)   #38
Number4
Racer

England
The Dead South
Number4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That logo says to me "Dead End after right hand bend on dual carriageway."

Old 28 Nov 2017, 14:38 (Ref:3783783)   #39
djb
Veteran

djb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
well well, haven't popped in here for years, but figured "what the hell, let's see what the 10/10ths anoraks are thinking" about the new logo.....
(and I say "anoraks" real fondness thinking back to the years coming here so long ago now)

so from someone with a visual work background, I really have to say after looking at it a few times again since the first time on Sunday, and having a fresh comparing session with the old one------- I like it.

the previous one has been looking "dated" to me for a long time, the "F" and the "speed swoosh" of the "1" both have a 80's 90's "look" to them (go figure, that's when they are from)

I reckon for at least 10 years now, whenever I see the logo come on before races, my quick reaction in my head is "that logo looks stale"

the new one certainly has its origins in the swoopy mockup car designs tossed around now for a few years of possible future Indycar and F1 cars (well, lets just say "open cars")

and it is this "swoop" that for me makes it work,
it gives a feeling of what may come car design wise,
it makes sense to have a new look in any case, post Mr E (which I agree that the old logo to me is clearly connected to "Mr E")

and hey, its just a logo, but its kinda neat.

(and yes, someone made a shedload of money proposing and designing this, but then Mr Tilke has been making multiple shedloads of money due to having the right friend (s) and that has affected our sport waaaaaaaaaaaay more than a logo.

and that's not even touching on the whole "set up a race and Tilke track to "whoever has a big fracking shedload of money, no history of motorsport and most likely a pretty poopy political and human rights record, to say the least" (thankyou Mr E......)

hello to anyone from back in the day who recognizes my username.
cheers
Old 28 Nov 2017, 15:26 (Ref:3783792)   #40
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Quote:

Attachment 50768
Nice!
Old 30 Nov 2017, 14:40 (Ref:3784311)   #41
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
How about adding a helmet as a white space?

Quote:

Attachment 50768
I merged both ideas:
Attached Images

Old 30 Nov 2017, 16:09 (Ref:3784331)   #42
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Logos need impact and this new one, although not too bad imho, doesn’t really have that
Old 30 Nov 2017, 17:27 (Ref:3784339)   #43
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
idle curiosity, but when you say it has to have “impact”, what does that mean in the context of it being for an established brand?
Old 30 Nov 2017, 18:54 (Ref:3784353)   #44
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
idle curiosity, but when you say it has to have “impact”, what does that mean in the context of it being for an established brand?
F1 has been around since 1950 and it has developed are core nucleus of fans since then. However any product can't just rely on its core nucleus alone and needs something that's gong to attract new customers/fans. A logo has visual impact and is one way of doing that. Many companies revise and update their logos.
Old 30 Nov 2017, 19:33 (Ref:3784356)   #45
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
The biggest impact is that a logo has to be clear and recognisable as to what it represents. In this case Formula 1 and it's shorthand name of F1.

As I've said before the logo without the wording could easily be viewed as 2 nested lower case "r" with a capital I.

And when represented in a smaller corner type graphic of for example a championship points table its even less clear as the gaps between the constituent parts aren't large enough for that separation to be seen.

We also have to look at the logo when seen in the format of a DOG (Digital ON-screen Graphic). I accept that it's supposed to be unobtrusive but as I've mocked up here. It just doesn't say F1.

Click image for larger version

Name:	logo as Dog.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	50785
Source image: Sky Sport through Google.
Old 30 Nov 2017, 21:26 (Ref:3784387)   #46
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
for clarity, i'm playing devils advocate here. i'm so very very bored of some people on social media (and here on occasion) going "BOO, CHANGE" and using buzzwords to defend their attitude. asking the questions encourages some interesting viewpoints from those who have reasons and deathly silence from those who don't!

it does look like "f1" to me, but i can see why it wouldn't if you were looking with a critical eye. there's plenty of logos that don't give you any clues as to what they represent. see: literally every single app icon on your phone that rely on recognition for identity. that's what they're going for. once people have been introduced to it then all they need to do is recognise it, especially as a mobile app or source on your newsfeeds.

what's really more important now it seems is how it works with an entire design strategy - websites, apps, tv graphics etc. the logo is the starting point not the entire identity on a letterhead or shopfront like it used to be.
Old 30 Nov 2017, 21:33 (Ref:3784388)   #47
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I think it's unfair to criticise people for not liking it and using buzzwords to describe it, because that's exactly how it's been introduced. They've used nonsense buzzwords to justify it.

The problems the old logo had in a practical sense (difficult to embroider and doesn't size down well due to the fine lines on the tips of the points) also exist with this new logo. The gap between the sections is too thin, so it also doesn't size down well, especially on a smartphone. The old logo wasn't adaptable enough to the digital world, so they've introduced another logo that doesn't address the issues.

I don't really care that much, but if they make such a big fuss and justify it with mad reasons then I think they deserve feedback. The logo doesn't say F1, and it certainly doesn't look like cars racing to the line. The red just makes it look like a fake ESPN rip-off.

The real reason it's being introduced is political, to mark the end of the Bernie era, and the beginning of the new approach. The new owners are here, and they have ideas and are going digital. Which is all fine really - it's an important change for F1. But that isn't what they've said. They've said dynamic and modern and digital world and buzzwords. So I do think it's fine to reply with buzzwords, especially with such a poor effort. There are some better efforts in this thread alone.
Old 30 Nov 2017, 22:28 (Ref:3784398)   #48
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
I think it's unfair to criticise people for not liking it and using buzzwords to describe it, because that's exactly how it's been introduced. They've used nonsense buzzwords to justify it.
fair point. i tend to ignore all the waffle around stuff - you can't just issue new logos, or new identities, or fart or do anything now without a press release to stick in the "news" section of a website or update a facebook page with to score a few likes. doesn't mean the words are anything substantial, it's more out of obligation to "speak" than an explanation. if people feel they need an intellectual explanation and some deep quotes for a long-needed identity facelift then so be it.

everything in the f1 fandom has to be a drama, so that in itself was more predictable than anything they've said.
Old 30 Nov 2017, 22:45 (Ref:3784402)   #49
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Every now and then, change happens. As humans, we are naturally resistant to change. The new logo will automatically draw criticism because it is different to the last one.

Is it the best logo ever? Probably not.

Can others come up with alternatives? Definitely.

In 3 years, will it be instantly recognisable as representing the sport? Almost certainly.

And has anyone been able to produce a humorous adaptation, or highlighted an innuendo or embarrassing connotation? No.

So does it achieve what it was designed to do? Yes. So a good (but not brilliant) new logo.
Old 30 Nov 2017, 22:48 (Ref:3784404)   #50
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
And has anyone been able to produce a humorous adaptation, or highlighted an innuendo or embarrassing connotation? No
fairly certain i've seen a rude version going around somewhere