Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 21 Oct 2001, 08:53 (Ref:163465)   #1
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Beagle - obscure F3 car

Can anyone shed some light on Jim Yardleys (correct spelling?) F3 car from 1985? I know it was home built, I think with a beam axle and a Toyota engine but as to what happened to it and Jim I know nothing. I have details of some of his previous cars in a book but I would really like to see the mid 80s F3 car. I remember there was an article in Motor Sport in about 85 about it but I cant find it anywhere in my collection - I think there was retrorspective of Brian Henton in the same issue. I think it had to run in the a class but wasnt as quick as the b class as I recall.

Thanks
Old 23 Oct 2001, 12:40 (Ref:164413)   #2
Brian Lear
Rookie

Australia
Newcastle - Australia
Brian Lear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A three page article on Jim Yardley and his five Beagle cars appeared
in December 1985 Motor Sport.
If you would like a copy of the article send me your address in a Private Message.

Brian Lear
Old 14 Sep 2003, 19:13 (Ref:718741)   #3
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dragging up an old topic here but I noticed when I was going thru the pages of the National sprint association that Jim is still sprinting and hillclimbing a Beagle MK5D - Honda 1600. Did anyone see it this year perchance? or does anyone have contact details for Jim? I'd love to see the car in action.

Thanks
Old 16 Sep 2003, 11:06 (Ref:720530)   #4
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I remember him racing the Beagle in F.Mono for many years, against the front engined Concorde ( remember that !?)
Old 16 Sep 2003, 15:54 (Ref:720886)   #5
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

Yes Andrew I think theres been a few Beagle! The F3 car had a beam axle IIRC - I'm wondering whether any of our marshalling brethren have seen the car at circuits? I wonder if the Sprint assoc would have contact details do you think?
Old 16 Sep 2003, 20:46 (Ref:721176)   #6
cirrus
Rookie

cirrus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was a member of the Monoposto Club in the seventies (who remembers Suzy Livingstone?) and recall the club magazine "Startline" which contained some superb drawings of cars and races instead of photographs. Surely there must ba a Beagle drawing in one of them.
Old 17 Sep 2003, 07:39 (Ref:721534)   #7
Roger H
Rookie

Roger H should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Andrew.
I think if you check your records you will find that the Concorde was a rear engined monocoque and that it was the Ansco (spelling) that was the demon front engined mono car of the period. I owned it in the mid 80s and it still turns out occasionaly at sprints anf hillclimbs with a m'bike engine in the back
Roger
Old 17 Sep 2003, 08:52 (Ref:721590)   #8
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Roger H
Andrew.
I think if you check your records you will find that the Concorde was a rear engined monocoque and that it was the Ansco (spelling) that was the demon front engined mono car of the period. I owned it in the mid 80s and it still turns out occasionaly at sprints anf hillclimbs with a m'bike engine in the back
Roger
Ah you'd be Roger Hurst then, you have had some interesting cars in your time! do tell....
Old 18 Sep 2003, 09:20 (Ref:722817)   #9
Tony Harman
Veteran

Tony Harman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A Beagle belonged to John Moore (750 m/c F4 & FF) for a while, it was pretty complete inc uprights, engine laid on it's side (at the front where they should be....) he sold it to someone who was going to bring it out in Classic Clubmans F1300 class. We can probably track it's current owner down if necessary. In fact we probably should to get it out into Classic Clubmans.
Old 18 Sep 2003, 11:35 (Ref:722946)   #10
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Roger, yes of course! I stand corrected. The Anco was driven by Brian Toft ? - a blue / yellow device.
Old 18 Sep 2003, 15:13 (Ref:723134)   #11
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

Some good news, Ben Boult from the sprint assoc has forwarded my enquiry email to Jim Yardley so we might get the great man on here himself! Lets hope he has a scanner :-)
Old 17 Oct 2003, 17:18 (Ref:754576)   #12
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally posted by Roger H
Andrew.
Roger
Roger, I think this is the Anco of Brian Toft. A photo from the mid 70s.
Attached Thumbnails
anco.jpg  
Old 18 Oct 2003, 17:11 (Ref:755232)   #13
Roger H
Rookie

Roger H should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Andrew
Thanks. Surprising how long the front engined cars remained competitive. Very embarrasing to be behind the F3 Mallocks!
Old 24 Oct 2003, 21:29 (Ref:762260)   #14
DaveM
Racer

DaveM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think this is Jim Yardley in one of his Beagles. Taken at Cadwell in September 68. Engine at the back, oh dear.
Attached Thumbnails
68-09-15 jim yardley.jpg