Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 31 Mar 2004, 17:36 (Ref:925464)   #1
006_007
Racer

006_007 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dixon in talks with Toyota? Has this been discussed already?

Not sure if this has already been discussed, if so my apologies, but it appears that Toyota is also interested in Mr. Dixons services. Not really surprising considering he is Toyota powered in the IRL.

I read about it over on F1-live.com.

TJ
Old 31 Mar 2004, 18:03 (Ref:925487)   #2
Rindt
Rookie

Rindt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Then Dixon could have his pick in terms of an 2005 drive. Perhaps he will be chosing between a racedrive for Toyota and a testdrive for Williams.
Old 31 Mar 2004, 18:28 (Ref:925514)   #3
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
He's not interested in driving for a midfeild team and theres plenty of teams at the front of the grid who are interested in him steering their product.
Old 31 Mar 2004, 19:16 (Ref:925562)   #4
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well, there's one team near the front that's interested - and that's Williams.

Toyota would be a good move for Scott - they'll be right up there given time, and he can learn the ropes of F1 as they go.
Old 31 Mar 2004, 19:32 (Ref:925571)   #5
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Wasn't this supposed to be in the da Matta script?
Old 31 Mar 2004, 20:43 (Ref:925631)   #6
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think if he's at Williams next year it'll be racing not testing.

I remember a few years back when he was at PacWest Toyota had a dispute with the team because they wanted to take over his contract or something like that.
Old 31 Mar 2004, 20:45 (Ref:925634)   #7
grumpy1
Veteran

grumpy1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Given that Toyota are now getting serious about F1 with recruiting to personal its not surprising but where does that leave the current drivers.Panis is out of contract at the end of the year, da Matta has a year to go,Zonta well I don't know and Ryan Brisco.Does that mean Toyota are going to clean house in the driver department as well?
If so a possible line up Ralf,Dixson, Brisco to 3rd driver and a unknown to test driver.All I can say is the plot thickens.

The Grumpy1

Last edited by grumpy1; 31 Mar 2004 at 20:46.
Old 31 Mar 2004, 21:24 (Ref:925673)   #8
006_007
Racer

006_007 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Would not be the first time that Toyota has cleaned house

Quote:
Originally posted by grumpy1
Given that Toyota are now getting serious about F1 with recruiting to personal its not surprising but where does that leave the current drivers.Panis is out of contract at the end of the year, da Matta has a year to go,Zonta well I don't know and Ryan Brisco.Does that mean Toyota are going to clean house in the driver department as well?
If so a possible line up Ralf,Dixson, Brisco to 3rd driver and a unknown to test driver.All I can say is the plot thickens.

The Grumpy1
Toyota does not seem to have a problem with outing their entire driver lineup and start over again. That is how Panis and da Matta got their jobs at the expense of McNish and Salo.

Not sure if I would want to be at a team that is willing to do that every couple of years........

I really wonder if this whole silly season has started so early this year because Montoya has made his intentions known so early (before the season even started!)

At least if the rest of the F1 season turns out to be boring we still have this to keep us entertained.

TJ

Old 31 Mar 2004, 21:57 (Ref:925713)   #9
joe rossi
Veteran

United Kingdom
uk
joe rossi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjoe rossi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think next year will be as follows:

Williams: Webber and Dixon

Toyota: Ralf and De Matta

Jaguar: Coulthard and some nobody (or Klien)
Old 31 Mar 2004, 22:02 (Ref:925720)   #10
Continental Op
Rookie

Continental Op should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dixon is connected to Toyota busines in some way (that I dont know details on) since CART days. Pacwest Toyota, then Toyota was a force that got him into Ganassi when Pacwest shut down. It´s only natural that he explores his options there.
Old 1 Apr 2004, 02:19 (Ref:925874)   #11
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
Yeh JPM's replacement would/could be a ready made American star. Oops, I mean star in America. And another Oceania driver would be nice. The (nearly) all-Aussie line-up at Williams for 05, Webber/Dixon....Bring It On!!!!
Old 1 Apr 2004, 04:13 (Ref:925933)   #12
jetsetter
Veteran

Australia
Ipswich Qld Australia
jetsetter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm sure Dixon has a contract with Toyota at the moment so if he did step up to their F1 program it wouldn't be a great suprise although i'd prefer Toyota to have Briscoe as one of their drivers next year.
Old 1 Apr 2004, 07:34 (Ref:926045)   #13
monaroCountry
Racer

monaroCountry should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why would Dixon want to go with Toyota? Those guys are a mid field team. Toyota never done anything substantial for Dixon to get him into F1. Their interest in him only started after he proved himself driving the Williams car. If I was scott id tell toyota to stuff it.
Old 1 Apr 2004, 12:45 (Ref:926285)   #14
DriverT
Veteran

United Kingdom
Silverstone
DriverT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
One word: CASH
Old 1 Apr 2004, 13:13 (Ref:926313)   #15
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Let's not forget that Dixon is currently running in a Toyota-backed team.
if the japanese were really interested at him, such a switch to F1 would turn out to be very very easy.
Old 1 Apr 2004, 14:22 (Ref:926394)   #16
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The situation regarding Toyta havigna contract with Dixon stems back to 2001, when PacWest (Dixon's CART team at the time) owed Toyota money for engines. At one race it came to a head, and the team was refused permission to enter practice. The deal reached did see Dixon's contract transferred to Toyota. This is why, when the team (then known as PWR) was close to folding, Dixon was switched to a third Ganassi CART entry, which was set up at Toyota's request, and then followed Chip to the IRL.

Williams have already got 2 good test drivers, and neither looks likely to leave for 2005, so he might be better to go and race for what would surely be an improving Toyota team by then.