Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Virtual Racers

Old 17 Nov 2002, 19:20 (Ref:430676)   #1
spanner
Veteran

United Kingdom
Mid Beds, "The UK's rubbish dump"
spanner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rallisport Challenge

Having been starved of a decent rally game for the PC i have notice this is out for the PC. Has anybody got this yet? whats the verdict?

As i'm still playing CMR2 and three's out sometime next year, is it worth getting? As its an almost direct port i'm wary.
Old 18 Nov 2002, 10:59 (Ref:431178)   #2
Markules
Racer

United Kingdom
London
Markules should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
RSC is a very broad rally sim. I've been playing the Xbox version since about feb/march time, and found it to be a solid rally game.

The game is by Digital Illusions, the team behind the two sweedish touring car games on the PC, Rally Masters on PC and PSone and, if you can remember back that far, Motorhead on PSone and PC. Essentially, the game is based around four offroad motorsports - ice racing, rally cross, rallying and hill climbing, and features a decent lavishing of authentic cars from recent WRC machines to some of the older monsters.

Visually, it's very accomplished (or at least, it was on Xbox), and the game is very challenging. The only issue is regarding the handling. If you like quite arcadey handling, you'll like this - the set up options are very straight forward and the game is very powerslide happy. On the downside, you have to really be able to get to grips with it for the later levels, because if you're less than 100% committed against the CPU in later levels, you won't get anywhere.

If you want a good rule of thumb, I still take the Xbox game out for a spin (and I'd imagine the PC version is a pretty straight port of the game) every now and then, but there are lots of racing games I prefer playing on various formats.

I gave the Xbox game 83% when I reviewed back in March, and I'd still give it that score today.
Old 2 Dec 2002, 17:54 (Ref:441275)   #3
Stephen H
Veteran

England
East Sussex
Stephen H should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStephen H should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStephen H should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
rallycross?

does this game actually feature Rallycross type events?

And does anyone know, if any of the games tracks are based on real life circuits?
Old 3 Dec 2002, 11:54 (Ref:441701)   #4
Markules
Racer

United Kingdom
London
The cars are authentic rallycross machines, but the circuits are ficticous. Basically, though, the Rallycross stuff is four cars charging around three closed circuits with differing surfaces. So yes, kinda exactly like rallycross events.
Old 10 Dec 2002, 22:29 (Ref:447299)   #5
Stephen H
Veteran

England
East Sussex
Stephen H should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStephen H should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStephen H should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
thanks for the info

Would it be worth buying an Xbox, if you were only into racing games?
Old 11 Dec 2002, 10:28 (Ref:447517)   #6
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No, the PS2 has GT3 (and 4 before long) as well as all the good racing games that Xbox gets, but often earlier (e.g. Toca Race Driver). Xbox is really for FPS fans but if you're only going to play racing games then PS2 is the way to go.
Old 11 Dec 2002, 12:14 (Ref:447548)   #7
Markules
Racer

United Kingdom
London
Quote:
Originally posted by Stephen H
Would it be worth buying an Xbox, if you were only into racing games?
You'd be buying it on the basis of quality, not quantity in that case. Stuff like Project Gotham Racing, Rallisport Challenge and Moto GP (not the same as the PS2 game, I might add) are, if you ask me, truly fantastic games (I still play Gotham pretty much daily), while stuff like McRae 3 is visually superior on the Xbox, plus you get analogue triggers, which allow you to brake and acelerate at the same time.

On the down side, though, because it's new, the selection isn't as broad as, say, with the PS2 or PC, which isn't so bad if you're looking to get two or three games, but beyond that, you're either looking at stuff like Need For Speed Hot Pursuit 2, i.e. already available on PS2, or Sega GT, which is ok but little more than that.

If you shop around, you'll probably be able to get an Xbox (with JSRF and Sega GT for free), and any two of Gotham Racing, Rallisport Challenge and Moto GP for around £200, which is pretty good value for money.

Ultimately, I probably wouldn't advise it over, say, a PS2 at the moment, simply because it doesn't have the sheer selection the PS2 has, but if you're looking for a second console, or something that isn't a PS2, it's your best bet, as the racing games it does have are very good and there's a lot of promising stuff in the pipeline, too.
Old 11 Dec 2002, 12:42 (Ref:447558)   #8
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by Damon
No, the PS2 has GT3 (and 4 before long) as well as all the good racing games that Xbox gets, but often earlier (e.g. Toca Race Driver). Xbox is really for FPS fans but if you're only going to play racing games then a PC is the way to go.

(AS AMENDED )
Old 11 Dec 2002, 17:15 (Ref:447740)   #9
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
cheeky, I could sue you for that!!
Old 13 Dec 2002, 18:38 (Ref:449230)   #10
Stephen H
Veteran

England
East Sussex
Thanks to everybody for their advice on Xbox/ps2/pc`s and racing games
Old 13 Dec 2002, 19:04 (Ref:449252)   #11
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
so what you going to do then?
Old 13 Dec 2002, 20:29 (Ref:449297)   #12
Markules
Racer

United Kingdom
London
Quote:
Originally posted by Stephen H
Thanks to everybody for their advice on Xbox/ps2/pc`s and racing games
Don't mention it. Bottom line is, they've all got plenty to enjoy on them, so the chances of not enjoying whatever you decide are pretty small.
Old 14 Dec 2002, 21:13 (Ref:450020)   #13
bcobbus
Racer

bcobbus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes! I have both Rally Sport Challenge and Prodject Gotham racing for Xbox anf they are great! I don't know why, but you can't get F12002 for XBox here in the states? That really make me mad! I prefer Xbox even though there are not as many games available, "yet", I still think that itis a better console. Has anybody with an Xbox used it online to play games? How does that work?
Old 14 Dec 2002, 22:39 (Ref:450064)   #14
Markules
Racer

United Kingdom
London
You can get F1 2002 in the States - it's called F1 2001 and has the 2001 liveries instead of the 2002 ones. Yeah, it is a rip off, basically.

We've got Xbox Live at work at the moment. In short, it's very good.