Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 14 Feb 2010, 07:50 (Ref:2633128)   #1
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
LMP2 - manadatory 'Gentleman Driver' or not?

There's an interesting exchange of posts on the Pug thread in the main forum regarding whether or not a 'Gentlemans Driver' is mandatory in LMP2 at Le Mans this year.

I have always maintained that this is an LMS only stipulation, but it seems that some (far better informed than me) believe the rule in fact applies to Le Mans as well. Adding fuel to this argument is the fact that 'the word on the street' seems to be that Pagenaud is headed for Peugeot, once again, at Le Mans.

Can anyone confirm 100% whether a 'Gentleman Driver' is mandatory or not?

Thank you.
Old 14 Feb 2010, 09:04 (Ref:2633139)   #2
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Unless there is something unpublished, there is nothing in the ACO rules for Le Mans that relates to driver qualification (per se) other than Art. 6.1.1 in the Le Mans Supplemental Regulations which state a minimum of a FIA 'B' license. There is nothing new relating to drivers in the 2010 Sporting Regs., LMP Regs. or the Supplemental Regs. for Le Mans.

There is the notification from the LMS though. Here

I do not believe that Simon being with Peugeot at Le Mans is indicitive of there being such a rule.
I think it is more of a contractual issue.

L.P.
Old 14 Feb 2010, 09:39 (Ref:2633147)   #3
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNDAWG View Post
Unless there is something unpublished, there is nothing in the ACO rules for Le Mans that relates to driver qualification (per se) other than Art. 6.1.1 in the Le Mans Supplemental Regulations which state a minimum of a FIA 'B' license. There is nothing new relating to drivers in the 2010 Sporting Regs., LMP Regs. or the Supplemental Regs. for Le Mans.

There is the notification from the LMS though. Here

I do not believe that Simon being with Peugeot at Le Mans is indicitive of there being such a rule.
I think it is more of a contractual issue.

L.P.
Yep, we're reading the same page. It was only when Fiona Miller's name was mentioned in support of those who believe the mandatory 'Gentleman Driver' rule applies also at Le Mans that I began to have doubts. As far as I can tell, this would/could affect Highcroft, Racing Box and Oak, none of whom have confirmed their driver line-ups for June.
Old 15 Feb 2010, 15:52 (Ref:2633844)   #4
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley03 View Post
As far as I can tell, this would/could affect Highcroft, Racing Box and Oak, none of whom have confirmed their driver line-ups for June.
Just realised, OAK have split Nicolet and Hein this year. So, assuming Luca Pirri is classed as a pro (must confess I've no idea who he is), that leaves just Racing Box and Highcroft with the potential to field an all pro line-up.

Surely, under the circumstances, it would make sense for the ACO to stipulate a mandatory gent in LMP2?
Old 15 Feb 2010, 19:52 (Ref:2633969)   #5
Dani Filth
Race Official
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
he drove FIA GT3 last few years .. decent driver

Ciao Marco
Old 15 Feb 2010, 20:29 (Ref:2633993)   #6
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Just realised, OAK have split Nicolet and Hein this year. So, assuming Luca Pirri is classed as a pro (must confess I've no idea who he is), that leaves just Racing Box and Highcroft with the potential to field an all pro line-up.

Surely, under the circumstances, it would make sense for the ACO to stipulate a mandatory gent in LMP2?

Why? These packages will be P-1s next year, why not wait until then and give them a chance for the whole package to be run-in for next year. And next year when the new rule-set is applied then would be the prime time, IMO, to implement it, if they are in fact going to at Le Mans.

L.P.
Old 16 Feb 2010, 15:50 (Ref:2634421)   #7
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Why?

L.P.
Why not?

I fail to see the relevance of this year's P2's becoming next year's P1's.

7 out of the 9 P2 entries will definitely compete to the LMS mandatory gentleman driver rule, Racing Box are an LMS team anyway (so I would envisage no problem there) leaving just Highcroft. Assuming Simon Pagenaud is indeed heading back to Peugeot for Le Mans, Duncan Dayton is an obvious 3rd driver choice to peddle his own car.

Personally, given the make up of this year's P2 grid, I would prefer to see none of the teams take advantage of an all pro driver line-up.
Old 16 Feb 2010, 16:47 (Ref:2634448)   #8
tkelland
Rookie

tkelland should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Assuming Simon Pagenaud is indeed heading back to Peugeot for Le Mans, Duncan Dayton is an obvious 3rd driver choice to peddle his own car.
Some people (I think Marshall Pruett from speedtv.com was one) have stated there is a chance Marino Franchitti and David Brabham will be joined by none other than Dario Franchitti. Last year at Le Mans he was interviewed while just walking the paddock and he stated he had offers to do it but he had IndyCar Testing that conflicted in the week leading up to the race. He also said he'd love to race there.

He knows the car, the people and is one of the best road racers out there, currently. Therefore, why not? The gentleman driver rule seems only to apply to the LMS and AsLMS from what I can gather.
Old 16 Feb 2010, 17:45 (Ref:2634493)   #9
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
Quote:
Why not?

I fail to see the relevance of this year's P2's becoming next year's P1's.

7 out of the 9 P2 entries will definitely compete to the LMS mandatory gentleman driver rule
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkelland View Post
The gentleman driver rule seems only to apply to the LMS and AsLMS from what I can gather.

As to relevance, P-2 become defacto P-1 next year. Mandating the driver line-up you take away the possibility of any team running what might be their complete team for P-1 next year! And track time on Le Sarthe is getting to be pretty hard to come by.

Since when do the rules for one of the ACO sanctioned series mandate what is done at Le Mans??

@ tkelland: I have not seen anything that indicates that the ACO will apply this rule anywhere yet including the AsLMS, you have seen that somewhere?

L.P.
Old 16 Feb 2010, 17:47 (Ref:2634497)   #10
tkelland
Rookie

tkelland should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
@ Horndawg: I may have been mistaken. I thought I had read some months ago that the LMS and AsLMS would run the P2 gentleman driver ruling. If that is incorrect, I apologize.
Old 16 Feb 2010, 18:36 (Ref:2634519)   #11
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Since when do the rules for one of the ACO sanctioned series mandate what is done at Le Mans??

L.P.
Badly worded on my part, I was merely pointing out that the overwhelming majority of the P2 teams are running with a gentleman driver, not that it had been mandated for Le Mans. However, I still maintain that I would consider a mandated gentleman driver in each of the P2 teams at Le Mans this year to be preferable, under the circumstances. A Highcroft victory, should it transpire that they are the only team with an all pro line-up, would be slightly hollow (in my opinion).
Old 17 Feb 2010, 10:09 (Ref:2634864)   #12
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Well Mr.B ..... rules are rules , and when adhered to , you are not wrong .

If what you said should be the case , then it should be written in plain black and white .

The first goal of any and every team is to win their class .

Kinda like the Porsche 911 Gt1 ..... it was said to be outside the spirit of the rules , but it was still within the rules .