Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History > Historic Image Archive

Old 29 Dec 2010, 13:58 (Ref:2809203)   #1
marcosgt
Racer

England
UK
marcosgt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmarcosgt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Looking for XJS at Brno image

I'm looking for a photo of an XJS at Brno in the Group A ETCC days.

As I recall it, it's a photo of the car cresting a rise in the middle of a housing estate.

I've hunted around on Google Images and eBay, but I can't find it anywhere. I suspect I saw it originally in Motoring News, but it was many years ago.

If anyone can point me to a copy of this image (online or anywhere I can buy a copy), I'd be grateful.

Happy New Year.

Mark

Last edited by marcosgt; 29 Dec 2010 at 14:04.
Old 2 Jan 2011, 18:55 (Ref:2810276)   #2
bigears
Racer

United Kingdom
Wolverhampton
bigears should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So it may have been around 1982-1984?

I don't have Motoring News for those years and I got a programme for the 1984 ETCC race and it shows nothing of what you are looking for.

Sorry and I hope you will find it as I do like to see photos from the old Brno circuit.
Old 2 Jan 2011, 19:45 (Ref:2810290)   #3
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I've got all of 1982 Autosport, Motoring News and Motorsport so I may be able to help.
However is this the right year? Which livery was it - Motul, White or Green?
Old 5 Jan 2011, 00:52 (Ref:2811287)   #4
marcosgt
Racer

England
UK
marcosgt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmarcosgt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My memory says it's a green car, but as it was B&W it could've been a Motul one.

M
Old 5 Jan 2011, 04:33 (Ref:2811317)   #5
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
If it was green it would likely be 1984, when the cars ran with more prominent Jaguar branding on the doors..... in 1982/3 the cars were more white with a green stripe along the length of the top of the 'guards and doors. They boasted Motul branding very strongly. Actually I think the colours were reversed in 84 (the white stripe where the green was in 82/83

Tom IIRC won three races (82,83 and 84) there the last year with Hans Heyer and the previous two years with Chuck Nicholson. They ran two cars though, one for Win Percy who was teamed with Nicholson in 84. Maybe Pierre Dieudonné was driving the second car in '83?

I do recall quite strongly a pic of a TWR car front on at Brno, in, from memory a part of the track that appeared to have a very slight S bend in a bit of a dip. I thought I had a copy but it seems not. Perhaps it may have been later in the Bastos Rover period?

Out of interest, when was it they started to use the 'new' (current) Brno track that sits in the middle of the old original track, which to my knowledge was still in use in the early 1980's, itself a much (further) reduced version of the mighty old 18 mile lap (I think by the mid 70's it was down to under 7 miles from the initial post war reduction when the track was literally bisected..... I think the direction was reversed at that time ? I think the new circuit used nowadays was later than this era of the Jags, but maybe my memory is suspect on that.
Old 5 Jan 2011, 14:05 (Ref:2811495)   #6
marcosgt
Racer

England
UK
Not sure of the exact switchover date to the new circuit, but I'm pretty sure the XJS only ran on the old road circuit.

Certainly the image I'm thinking of was the on the old circuit.

Mark.
Old 5 Jan 2011, 14:40 (Ref:2811507)   #7
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
If it was green it would likely be 1984, when the cars ran with more prominent Jaguar branding on the doors..... in 1982/3 the cars were more white with a green stripe along the length of the top of the 'guards and doors. They boasted Motul branding very strongly. Actually I think the colours were reversed in 84 (the white stripe where the green was in 82/83

Tom IIRC won three races (82,83 and 84) there the last year with Hans Heyer and the previous two years with Chuck Nicholson. They ran two cars though, one for Win Percy who was teamed with Nicholson in 84. Maybe Pierre Dieudonné was driving the second car in '83?

I do recall quite strongly a pic of a TWR car front on at Brno, in, from memory a part of the track that appeared to have a very slight S bend in a bit of a dip. I thought I had a copy but it seems not. Perhaps it may have been later in the Bastos Rover period?

Out of interest, when was it they started to use the 'new' (current) Brno track that sits in the middle of the old original track, which to my knowledge was still in use in the early 1980's, itself a much (further) reduced version of the mighty old 18 mile lap (I think by the mid 70's it was down to under 7 miles from the initial post war reduction when the track was literally bisected..... I think the direction was reversed at that time ? I think the new circuit used nowadays was later than this era of the Jags, but maybe my memory is suspect on that.
E.B.! Just to clarify a bit, in '82 the cars were Black with white and red bonnets and doors/sides displaying the Motul logos, IIRC? I'm still trying to track down footage of that year (was probably done by Videovision as the time).

'83 the cars were as you rightly say white with green stripes along the top of the body (beneath the windows) and '84 this was reversed.

ETC last visited the old circuit in 1986 and I think it was 1987 or maybe '88 when the current facility was first used.
Old 7 Jan 2011, 13:09 (Ref:2812470)   #8
bigears
Racer

United Kingdom
Wolverhampton
bigears should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I got the '75 Years of the Masaryk Circuit in photographs' book.

In 1982, there is a b/w photo of the #4 TWR Jaguar XJS with Nicholson and Walkinshaw driving it. The car seems black or very dark green with a Motul banner across the side of the car and on the bonnet.

In 1983, there is a b/w photos of the #2 and #3 Jaguar XJS with Dieudonne and Calderari in the latter, there is a green strip across the side of the car while the livery is mainly in white. There is the Motul sponsor on the side too. They are battling out at the front of the grid so it looks like the first lap of the race, possibly into the first corner?

In 1984, there is a b/w photo of the two Jaguars in the pits, the main colour livery is green with a white strip on the side. No Motul sponsor on the TWR Jaguars as I can see. But a big Jaguar emblem on the bonnet of the cars.

But for that exclusive photo, there is nothing of what you are looking for.
Old 9 Jan 2011, 10:38 (Ref:2813167)   #9
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
E.B.! Just to clarify a bit, in '82 the cars were Black with white and red bonnets and doors/sides displaying the Motul logos, IIRC?
Yeah bit of brain fade. I was more focussed on the 83/84 reversal of the white and green that I incorrectly identified it as having been similar to 83, forgetting the red version used in 1982 as you mentioned... (maybe something to do with the AKAI sponsorship that Jaguar enjoyed as well as Motul. on rear guard)

I should have known. I have a pic of the 1982 version, as it happens from the Brno 1982 meeting. Not the pic we are specifically after however......

Last edited by E.B; 9 Jan 2011 at 10:43.
Old 11 Jan 2011, 17:36 (Ref:2814313)   #10
martin 64
Rookie

martin 64 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
1982 TWR XJS

Hi all. I'm a new member, found this thread on google as I'm always looking for info on the old TWR XJS's. I was a huge fan and followed them all over the place, but sadly never made it to the old Brno, but did drive a few laps when I visited in 88 to watch the Group C cars at the new circuit. I'll have alook through all my stuff and see what I can find. In the meantime have you tried www.racingsportscars.com Much old ETC info and pics here.

I'd love to find any video of the Jags in action at either Brno, 82/83 and 84, or macau in the Giua race. If anyone could help I'd be very grateful.