Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 12 Sep 2004, 10:59 (Ref:1093917)   #1
Heebeegeetee
Veteran

Heebeegeetee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Goodwood Revival on tv after Italian GP

On ITV in the UK. So if the GP turns into another yawnfest, we'll be able to satisfy our motor racing desires with some great action from the true home of motorsport in the UK.
Old 12 Sep 2004, 11:06 (Ref:1093930)   #2
Heebeegeetee
Veteran

Goodwood Revival on tv after italian GP

Might be a chance for you young'uns to see why us old'uns go moisty-eyed about the old days.

Chances are you'll see more overtaking in one 10 lapper than you'll see in the whole GP. You'll get to see how good cars that have more power than grip can be, too.

Watch it, I'll doubt you'll be dissapointed.
Old 12 Sep 2004, 11:20 (Ref:1093951)   #3
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Most of them are driven by wealthy hobbyists rather than racing drivers though.
Old 12 Sep 2004, 11:21 (Ref:1093954)   #4
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It is still good fun.

And this thread is a perfect excuse to show the way to the historic forum...
Old 12 Sep 2004, 11:47 (Ref:1093986)   #5
Heebeegeetee
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Kicking-back
Most of them are driven by wealthy hobbyists rather than racing drivers though.
The front running positions in whatever category are usually fought for by professionals or very talented privateers. these privateers are responsible for the maintenance and 'development' of the cars, and they do a great job.

I must say that my opinion of Tony Jardine has improved after watching him have a great race in an Austin A35. You might also get to see Adrian Newey spinning out in his GT40...

I'd love to hear what Newey thought after racing his GT40 at Le Mans, in July.
Old 12 Sep 2004, 14:53 (Ref:1094085)   #6
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Some pretty awesome racing on just now Tony Jardine really put on quite a show!
Old 12 Sep 2004, 16:37 (Ref:1094186)   #7
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I didn't mean my comment as a slight in any way - just suggesting there's a range of abilities on show!
Old 13 Sep 2004, 06:47 (Ref:1094715)   #8
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Goodwood is just fantastic isnt it !....the racing was just awesome as usual...
Old 13 Sep 2004, 08:21 (Ref:1094781)   #9
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
a shame they only showed 2 seconds of the St Marys race Part 2, typical TV, show the stars but not the owners who sweat blood watching the likes on Tiff Needell trashing their pride and joy !

I thought the 'owners' St Marys race was better than the 'stars' one myself for entertainment.

never the less, its great to see it on TV it cant do any of us any harm to get a bit of publicity, you never know someone may even consider sponsoring one of us !
Old 13 Sep 2004, 09:07 (Ref:1094838)   #10
Tiptop
Racer

United Kingdom
Bristol
Tiptop should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Real cars, Real drivers, Real Talent, Real racing
I have the upmost respect for all of the drivers at Goodwood, who have real car control and are not afraid to race and fight for positions.

I would love to race any of the cars at the Goodwood revival just to see how they compare to my formula ford!

Old 13 Sep 2004, 10:48 (Ref:1094954)   #11
Speedy norm
Racer

Speedy norm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A wonderfull spectacle and a great advert for our sport.
A great idea putting it on after the GP. It might show some armchair fans that motor racing is about - charachters and overtaking - yes it is aloud on the track and not in the pits!
Old 13 Sep 2004, 13:03 (Ref:1095131)   #12
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Great stuff indeed and so good that it followed a modern-day GP. I wonder how many GP fans bothered to sit tight and watch it?
Old 13 Sep 2004, 14:00 (Ref:1095198)   #13
Anuauto
Racer

Anuauto has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
But more in common with Hollywood portraying historical events than a valid "revival" of actual historic racing? (Or an advert for how later development and technology can completely alter the relative competitiveness of all manner of "historic" cars?)

Last edited by Anuauto; 13 Sep 2004 at 14:02.
Old 13 Sep 2004, 14:09 (Ref:1095206)   #14
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
I dont think its quite that extreme Anuauto, money makes a difference, as ever, and certainly in period prep theres no way an A35 would be anywhere near the front of the grid in the saloons for example
Old 13 Sep 2004, 14:17 (Ref:1095213)   #15
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I heard several whispers at the weekend that the Alvis Grey Lady has all kinds of fuel management jiggery pokery under the dashboard, but I'd see it race again in an instant. Magnificent machine. It's a similar situation to the big red '55 Chevy which popped up for a Goodwood race a couple of years back. The fumes from the exhaust were faintly sweet-smelling and made your eyes water!

I'd take a slight issue with the suggestion that Tiff Needell "trashed" anyone's car at the weekend. The footage shown on Sunday clearly backed up his explanation of his incident. He lost the tail of the big Jag on someone else's oil, and his ensuing tank-slapper caught the Alfa Giulietta which tried to take advantage of him!
Old 13 Sep 2004, 17:10 (Ref:1095367)   #16
D-Type
Veteran

United Kingdom
Coulsdon, Surrey
D-Type should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by zefarelly
I dont think its quite that extreme Anuauto, money makes a difference, as ever, and certainly in period prep theres no way an A35 would be anywhere near the front of the grid in the saloons for example
Not quite true. I remember a race at Crystal Palace in about July 1958 with two Jaguars and either John Sprinzel or Doc Shepherd in an A 35 on the front row.

The more you learn, the more you realise how little you know.
Old 13 Sep 2004, 18:17 (Ref:1095483)   #17
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally posted by Heebeegeetee

I must say that my opinion of Tony Jardine has improved after watching him have a great race in an Austin A35. You might also get to see Adrian Newey spinning out in his GT40...

I'd love to hear what Newey thought after racing his GT40 at Le Mans, in July.
What was your opinion before then?
Old 13 Sep 2004, 19:15 (Ref:1095546)   #18
Heebeegeetee
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by falcemob
What was your opinion before then?
Just too bland, and I could never quite figure how he came to appear on TV at the GP's.

I seen him race before, but never noticed him. But I was well impressed this time.

Also, there was a very interesting chat on Revival Radio about Silverstone, between he, Doug Nye and Richard Hay, on Saturday evening. He didn't hold back, too much.

Shame we can never hear him be so forthright on TV.
Old 14 Sep 2004, 08:06 (Ref:1095992)   #19
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
Quote:
Originally posted by D-Type
Not quite true. I remember a race at Crystal Palace in about July 1958 with two Jaguars and either John Sprinzel or Doc Shepherd in an A 35 on the front row.
oops, I stand corrected, basically what I wanted to say was that all these cars, well nearly all, are quicker now than they where then, some disproportionally so

the other factor is drivers obviously

as for TN he may not always be to blame, and he certainly looked to be going well in the GT race, but he has had more than his fair share of 'moments' at Goodwood
Old 14 Sep 2004, 12:23 (Ref:1096254)   #20
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I certainly winced at the Alfa-crunching incident, but I thought it nothing more than "one of those things". So good though to see such a variety of cars dicing tooth and nail like that though. Terrific.
Old 14 Sep 2004, 14:05 (Ref:1096357)   #21
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
its like a Turin rush hour circa 1961 !