Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 27 Jul 2001, 21:04 (Ref:122743)   #1
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Popularity of the BTCC

If you look at one of Redshoes picture here>
http://www.redshoes-racing.com/cgi-r...fo.cgi?ID=2993 , you'll notice that the car park at the top isn't full. Just about a third full. In 1999 that car park was full.

Everyone I speak to says that variety is the key i.e. - more manufacturers. 6 manufacturers at least is a must for the BTCC. My brother even says he was interested because of the Volvo 850 Estate and the Beemers way back in 1994, and I even didn't pick up on the BTCC until 1998/1999!

This drop in spectators tells me that there are only a few 'hardcore' BTCC fans like us, and that other people will only go if there are plenty of cars from a lot of prestige manufacturers.

I hope for the BTCC's sake that it takes off better and before the ETCC, or people's interest will go elsewhere.
Old 27 Jul 2001, 21:09 (Ref:122746)   #2
Larsen
Racer

Denmark
Northants, UK
Larsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have to admit, i dont have so much interest in Touring Cars anymore because only one manufacturer dominates...eg Vauxhall

This really really lets down the sparkles of the BTCC...you just see the same winners, Muller, Plato and Thompson. See my point?
Old 27 Jul 2001, 21:22 (Ref:122749)   #3
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Yep, true Larsen.

I was going to start to support ASCAR, until the BTCC got 'up and running' again, but of course ASCAR is in it's death bed.
Old 27 Jul 2001, 21:32 (Ref:122752)   #4
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
That's the VIP/hositality parking area. This year there's been very little hospitality, especially compared to the huge marquees Honda, Vauxhall and Nissan used to bring.

You're right though, crowds have been down on previous years.
Old 27 Jul 2001, 21:59 (Ref:122764)   #5
pink69
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire / Nottingham
pink69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Over the next few seasons , I'm sure that more manufactures will be entering the BTCC so the popularity will begin to increase again. With MG entering , and the possiblility of the likes of SEAT, Volvo renault and Nissan re entering the series the BTCC will be the specticale it was in the early 90's
Old 27 Jul 2001, 23:02 (Ref:122781)   #6
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
Quote:
Originally posted by redshoes
That's the VIP/hositality parking area. This year there's been very little hospitality, especially compared to the huge marquees Honda, Vauxhall and Nissan used to bring.
Thanks for telling me redshoes, at least its because the manufacturers aren't spending a lot on extras.

Quote:
You're right though, crowds have been down on previous years.
Yeh, notice that particularly at the exit at Taylor's the crowd had much more space, I was there in 1999 and everyone was more or less shoulder to shoulder.

Last edited by touringlegend; 27 Jul 2001 at 23:05.
Old 28 Jul 2001, 08:53 (Ref:122896)   #7
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Speedworx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The BTCC is not as good as it was. I'd rather watch the DTM or ETCC. They are both better.
Old 28 Jul 2001, 09:20 (Ref:122906)   #8
vauxhall
Veteran

vauxhall should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the reason the crowds are down is the look of the cars [i rekon]

If the cars were:

Lowered abit more,
Silver/Whites wheels,
Spoiler a bit lower,
And dont have 147 type cars!

this makes the series look more professinal so people get into it!

You wouldent get onto a unstable boat! !

the cars need to change to look more professinal!
Old 28 Jul 2001, 10:03 (Ref:122916)   #9
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
I disagree vauxhall.

I think having different shaped cars is one of the best bits of the BTCC to me, i.e. I'm not wanting it to turn into a one make series!
Old 28 Jul 2001, 11:35 (Ref:122937)   #10
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Come on vauxhall, the needle is getting stuck.

Do you seriously beleive that people are not going to watch the BTCC because of the colour of the wheels? Pu it another way, if there is so much wrong with it why are YOU still going to race meetings?
Old 28 Jul 2001, 11:47 (Ref:122939)   #11
Larsen
Racer

Denmark
Northants, UK
Larsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The ASCAR series isnt dead yet...Rockingham have agreed to run it and new engines will come before the August Bank Holiday weekend. Also, another 4 cars have been purchased so there is definately interest.

I havent been to any BTCC race meetings this year, i been going to events mostly at Rockingham and Donington.
Old 28 Jul 2001, 12:39 (Ref:122973)   #12
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
Minardi fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Larsen

This really really lets down the sparkles of the BTCC...you just see the same winners, Muller, Plato and Thompson. See my point?
Just as is the problem in F1.

The BTCC's real problem lies in the lack of publicity - the BBC don't advertise their coverage at all, and the races aren't shown full length. If it had a regular time slot or even live coverage, it's popularity would grow. If one of my mates ask what I did at the weekend, and I say "I went to the BTCC at Donington," the response it usually... "What's that????", accompanied by a bemused look. It needs promotion.

Last edited by Minardi fan; 28 Jul 2001 at 12:41.
Old 28 Jul 2001, 22:59 (Ref:123171)   #13
kristof14
Veteran

kristof14 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
it happened again today!!!!!! the radio times had the touring cars down as being on at 4:10pm, but it was shown 10 minutes late (by which time most people who were vaguely interested had gone to the pub instead) all because we had to see a slo-mo replay of the horse race that had already been on and listen to two poshos guffaw about the race and how they knew the jockey when he was knee high to an ant!!!!

p.s. what happened to the alfas door during the sprint race???
Old 29 Jul 2001, 12:17 (Ref:123250)   #14
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
It fell off going through(or over) the chicane, but I think the Alfa made contact with one of the 406 Coupe's. Not 100% on that though.
Old 29 Jul 2001, 14:39 (Ref:123313)   #15
hunttheshunt
Veteran

hunttheshunt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree gthe BTCC needs variety. Hopefully we'll get that in the near future-Vauxhall, Pug, MG, Volvo, SEAT, Lexus?, Alfa? + Privateers. But also the TV coverage WITHOUT DOUBT MUST BE BETTER and there must be more given to make the series more accesable and available.
Old 29 Jul 2001, 15:31 (Ref:123364)   #16
vauxhall
Veteran

vauxhall should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Westie is having a MASSIVE TV campaign next year and dropping the Supermarket idea!
So thats the TV adverts sorted!

I had someone satying over on Saturday! hes never seen Touring Cars before!
and he watched Knockhill, he was really getting into it!

i Watched F1 today, and it just reinforcesmy feelings on the BTCC ... Its great!
Old 29 Jul 2001, 16:01 (Ref:123394)   #17
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
TV Ads - Thumbs up!

I was watching the Grand Prix as well, and yaaaaaawwwwwwnnnn....
I did actually fall asleep!

Then I watched the World Superbikes on BBC LIVE, and i said to my dad, this is boooooorrrrriiinnng, I want a bit of rubbing, or as Cox would say "Givin' him the hip and shoulder."
Old 29 Jul 2001, 20:11 (Ref:123480)   #18
Radisichrox
Veteran

United States
New York
Radisichrox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by pink69
Over the next few seasons , I'm sure that more manufactures will be entering the BTCC so the popularity will begin to increase again. With MG entering , and the possiblility of the likes of SEAT, Volvo renault and Nissan re entering the series the BTCC will be the specticale it was in the early 90's
What is SEAT??? I think Volvo and Nissan will come back but Renault is iffy. Volvo might come back with Rydell and Radisich, if he doesn't re-sign with DJR but Ford still wants him (Volvo is owned by Ford). , still, though, ive had this disscussion before...
Old 29 Jul 2001, 20:20 (Ref:123484)   #19
redshoes
Veteran

SEAT is a Spanish company owened by VW/Audi. See www.seat.com surprisingly
Old 29 Jul 2001, 20:27 (Ref:123487)   #20
Radisichrox
Veteran

United States
New York
Radisichrox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We need BMW or Audi to come back because we need something other than a front-wheel drive field. BMW or an Audi Quattro would spice up the field a ton, besides, BMW could use an M3 or an M5, and Audi could use their TT or maybe an S4.
Old 29 Jul 2001, 21:09 (Ref:123493)   #21
hunttheshunt
Veteran

hunttheshunt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sorry, Radisichrox, but there's no way Audi will enter the BTCC w/the TT-thats a DTM through and through. The VAG Group will enter TC's through SEAT. As for BMW, it would be nice, but it seems unlikely.
Old 29 Jul 2001, 21:21 (Ref:123500)   #22
kristof14
Veteran

the btcc should go to channel 4!!! just look at the quality coverage they give the powertour, DTM and BTCC support races!!!!!! they're the only channel with any decent motorsport coverage, the BBC gives priority to golf, horse racing and football, ITV give semi-decent coverage of F1 if it wasnt for all the adverts!!!!! and CH5 only show the american motorsport series!
Old 29 Jul 2001, 21:23 (Ref:123501)   #23
fatbloke
Veteran

fatbloke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great idea - I guess it'll allow us to get over the problem of the program being rescheduled around live bowls and snooker - don't get much of that at 3am, do you ?
Old 29 Jul 2001, 22:10 (Ref:123527)   #24
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
Minardi fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
KNOCKERS WAS ON TODAY?!?!?! Oh great. Nice one BBC. SO well advertised. And my point is proved perfectly.

Could they PLEASE give it a REGULAR slot?!?! AAAAAAAAAARGH!!!!

Last edited by Minardi fan; 29 Jul 2001 at 22:11.
Old 29 Jul 2001, 22:11 (Ref:123528)   #25
kristof14
Veteran

i was thinkin more along the lines of the 11:30am slot that the powertour has!!!!