Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 3 May 2013, 17:53 (Ref:3242265)   #1
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Dazzle from following cars (racing in the dark)

I wasn't sure where to put this question but probably more likely those that have done Spa 6hrs will have an opinion, so HRT it is.

How necessary is the blanking out of rear screen in GT and Touring Cars that you see? Does it help with the potential problem of being dazzled by following cars? It seems to be the norm to do something to cut down light intrusion from behind, but what about mirrors? Remove? Adjust so actually not doing the job intended?

Old 3 May 2013, 19:00 (Ref:3242328)   #2
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Its very important Mike as those behind you will not dip their lights [usually] I use the darkest Window tint film,easy to use and very effective. Also very worthwhile and often forgotten about are the door mirrors,again,window tint as it is no problem during daylight. Thing with the door mirrors is as you start to turn in for a right hander,you naturally look into it and get a facefull of light from behind.
Old 3 May 2013, 19:16 (Ref:3242334)   #3
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower View Post
Its very important Mike as those behind you will not dip their lights [usually].
The cads! How very discourteous.... Moral is probably to to lap faster than all the others so you are doing the dazzling.

I hadn't thought of film on the mirrors as well but sounds good tip. Am sure some of the local yoof can point me in the direction of a tint supplier!

Thanks Terence.
Old 3 May 2013, 20:31 (Ref:3242369)   #4
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Am sure some of the local yoof can point me in the direction of a tint supplier!

Is your alternator powerful enough for your boom box bro ?
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 4 May 2013, 01:28 (Ref:3242436)   #5
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
The cads! How very discourteous.... Moral is probably to to lap faster than all the others so you are doing the dazzling.

I hadn't thought of film on the mirrors as well but sounds good tip. Am sure some of the local yoof can point me in the direction of a tint supplier!

Thanks Terence.

Not a problem Mike,how much do you need?
Old 4 May 2013, 09:29 (Ref:3242536)   #6
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
If you are in last place, Mike it should not be a problem.
Old 4 May 2013, 15:26 (Ref:3242722)   #7
FISCracer
Racer

Wales
Surrey
FISCracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If you're in a slower car in the 6H its an absolute necessity.

Tint is useful but only on cars with more upright rear screens. We used it on the Grantura in 2011 it didn't block enough at night and you couldnt see through it during sunlight......we went back to tape for the Marcos

HTH
Old 4 May 2013, 15:38 (Ref:3242723)   #8
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
If you are in last place, Mike it should not be a problem.
But what then, if the other buggers lap me! So we need to be in last place but lapping at same speed as the leader........

Thanks FISC, there is the option of getting some opaque wrapping film cut into strips and using that. Have seen that on several cars at 6hrs. We do get a free practice in the dark so can experiment if need to!

Old 6 May 2013, 06:24 (Ref:3243376)   #9
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
I suppose I should do something with the Cortina . . .Gordon, you'd better come down for a day and we can experiment with tape mirrors and torches!
Old 6 May 2013, 06:34 (Ref:3243378)   #10
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Quote:
But what then, if the other buggers lap me! So we need to be in last place but lapping at same speed as the leader........

Thanks FISC, there is the option of getting some opaque wrapping film cut into strips and using that. Have seen that on several cars at 6hrs. We do get a free practice in the dark so can experiment if need to!

Strips are not terribly effective Mike,just get some of the third graded [darkest] I promise you it is very effective.
Old 6 May 2013, 07:00 (Ref:3243384)   #11
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Strips are not terribly effective Mike,just get some of the third graded [darkest] I promise you it is very effective.
Is it road legal? Will I get shouldered as I exit Halfrauds with a roll?

Old 6 May 2013, 07:19 (Ref:3243388)   #12
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Joe, did that consignment of carbide arrive that I ordered ?
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 6 May 2013, 07:56 (Ref:3243402)   #13
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Quote:
Is it road legal? Will I get shouldered as I exit Halfrauds with a roll?

Perfectly.Its the front you have to worry about.
Old 6 May 2013, 14:46 (Ref:3243569)   #14
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Self dipping interior mirrors are brilliant. Wonder if you can get the same for door mirrors?

Talking of mirrors ... how about bright silver wrap across the back of the car to reflect headlights? That might encourage those behind to use dipped lights!

(I have a feeling there may be a regulation or two to consider though. Probably not something that be approved.)

Old 6 May 2013, 19:27 (Ref:3243643)   #15
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Gordon . . .not yet!

Chrome rear bumper . . . . I'll fit it . . .it'll helkp rear traction if it rains too.
Old 7 May 2013, 07:22 (Ref:3243824)   #16
bauble
Veteran

England
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
I'm sure a strip by Mike would dazzle us all!
Old 7 May 2013, 12:05 (Ref:3243925)   #17
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Some you can take anywhere,others,well,you just can't!
Old 7 May 2013, 18:51 (Ref:3244071)   #18
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Some you can take anywhere,others,well,you just can't!
If you've got something to say Terence, just come out with it, get it out in the open!
Old 7 May 2013, 18:55 (Ref:3244078)   #19
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Now, now.....

BTW Bob, are you going to be at HSCC Silverstone?
Old 7 May 2013, 20:59 (Ref:3244113)   #20
bauble
Veteran

England

Quote:
Now, now.....

BTW Bob, are you going to be at HSCC Silverstone?
No worries Mike, Mr Bower and I understand each other, I am a truly nice bloke and TB is ...................................... as well.

I am committed to the MSCC at Donington on Saturday, and am not sure about HSCC Sunday, however, if there is such clamour for my attendance I suppose duty ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Noblesse Oblige.

Also if I could be sure of being 'dazzled' I would certainly be there!

(Thinks: Does this enquiry intimate a desire not to be in the same place as me?)
Old 7 May 2013, 21:57 (Ref:3244122)   #21
Chigley
Veteran

England
Newbury, Berkshire
Chigley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
(Thinks: Does this enquiry intimate a desire not to be in the same place as me?)
Yes

Old 8 May 2013, 03:25 (Ref:3244167)   #22
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Quote:

No worries Mike, Mr Bower and I understand each other, I am a truly nice bloke and TB is ...................................... as well.

How could you possibly know? It would seem that you have misunderstood my post and taken it the wrong way? I hope you dont think it aimed at you as I dont even know who you are.
Old 8 May 2013, 05:50 (Ref:3244185)   #23
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
I am committed to the MSCC at Donington on Saturday, and am not sure about HSCC Sunday, however, if there is such clamour for my attendance I suppose duty ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Noblesse Oblige.

Also if I could be sure of being 'dazzled' I would certainly be there!
The only thing you are likely to be dazzled by is shiny paintwork and painstakingly cleaned wheels.
Old 8 May 2013, 21:15 (Ref:3244501)   #24
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
How could you possibly know? It would seem that you have misunderstood my post and taken it the wrong way? I hope you dont think it aimed at you as I dont even know who you are.
I must make it clear, to avoid suspicion, and to protect the innocent, that I have never actually met Mr T Bower, and any claim I may have made suggesting otherwise is a calumny. My high regard for the gentleman in question is based entirely upon the quality and content of his posts on this forum, all of which clearly demonstrate a person of great intellect, and clarity of mind. I am sure that a man of such sterling qualities would never associate with a person like myself.

Sorted.

Mr Bauble.