Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 6 Apr 2013, 20:54 (Ref:3230060)   #1
Moosehead
Veteran

Moosehead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
CSCC 13/14 April

The Classic Sports Car Club start their 2013 season, and their tenth since forming, at Snetterton over the weekend of 13/14 April. Using the 300 circuit on the Saturday and the 200 circuit on the Sunday.

The Swinging Sixties race was so oversubscribed that it now has two races - Group 1 has 35 entries ranging from Minis, MGs, Anglias, Alfas, BMWs to an NSU. The Group 2 grid for larger capacity cars and various Loti has been bolstered by a few cars initially entered for Bernie's HVRA race (which sadly suffered a low entry). 32 entries for the Group 2 grid with various Jags, TR's, etc taking on the V8 brigade.

Also on Saturday there are 2 races for Ferraris, The Aero Racing Morgan Challenge, a Jaguar race and a race for Lotus 7 lookalike cars.

Sunday sees races for the 'Future Classics - 43 entries, Tin Tops - 26 entries, The Jigsaw Classic Triumph series - 14 entries, the new CSCC 'Modern Classics' series - 20 entries and finally a Sports V Sallon Challenge race - 13 entries

Last edited by Moosehead; 6 Apr 2013 at 21:09. Reason: punctuation
CSCC Swinging Sixties #128 Red/Black Mustang
Old 7 Apr 2013, 07:02 (Ref:3230211)   #2
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Have fun guys. Sadly will be other end of Europe which is a shame as plenty of people entered at Snett I would like to cheer on! Special mention to Brett Syndercombe who is racing his Morgan Aero in the Challenge race. Brett runs Brands Hatch Morgans and has had a hectic few weeks getting other racing Mogs ready for customers. So for relaxation he is racing his own......

Sorry to hear about low numbers for HVRA, hopefully an early season blip.....

Old 7 Apr 2013, 07:58 (Ref:3230232)   #3
Cliff Ryan
Veteran

Cliff Ryan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCliff Ryan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I've entered my XJS in the Jaguar races on Sat & Sun, so gave her the once over, changed oil & a couple of plugs yesterday to get her running on 12

Looking forward to it, hope sun stays out as starting to feel the cold in my old age.
Old 7 Apr 2013, 11:05 (Ref:3230318)   #4
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Ryan View Post
I've entered my XJS in the Jaguar races on Sat & Sun, so gave her the once over, changed oil & a couple of plugs yesterday to get her running on 12

Looking forward to it, hope sun stays out as starting to feel the cold in my old age.
Leave it on 10 so others have a chance!

It is only 7 degrees in Snett area at moment but feels like mid summer compared with last few weeks!

Old 7 Apr 2013, 11:39 (Ref:3230336)   #5
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sunning myself at Snett as I type, good to be able to have lunch outside in the sun, cool but pleasant. Not looking forward to the long trip home this evening though. CSCC programme for next week looks good.
Old 7 Apr 2013, 11:53 (Ref:3230340)   #6
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary396 View Post
Sunning myself at Snett as I type, good to be able to have lunch outside in the sun, cool but pleasant. Not looking forward to the long trip home this evening though. CSCC programme for next week looks good.
You kept that quiet Gary. Good to have confirmation on the improvement in weather!

For all coming up A11, the Elevedon stretch is at last being 'dualled' so there will be roadworks all summer. At present only change is 40mph limit for the whole stretch as they work alongside the existing road. Although that could be seen as negative, it is actually faster than a lot of drivers go along there anyway! So usual delays for the traffic lights that we all know and love......

Old 7 Apr 2013, 12:00 (Ref:3230345)   #7
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
All of those sodding years of having the drive through Elveden,they chose to dual it now I'll never use it again! Got to be worth at least a quarter of an hour saved,would have meant a twenty minute journey!
Old 7 Apr 2013, 13:06 (Ref:3230366)   #8
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
You kept that quiet Gary......

Think I was a late replacement Mike. They don't normally send me down this far to the unexplored eastern territories!
Old 7 Apr 2013, 15:11 (Ref:3230403)   #9
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary396 View Post
Think I was a late replacement Mike. They don't normally send me down this far to the unexplored eastern territories!
Hope you had the requisite visa in your passport....

Terence, the dualling will definitely be a bonus and looks like it will be roundabout free. Thetford bypass good example of how not to do it.....

Old 7 Apr 2013, 15:30 (Ref:3230412)   #10
JonWolfe
Rookie

European Union
Gravenhurst
JonWolfe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Regarding the Thetford by-pass, who had the truly daft idea of putting a roundabout at the bottom of a valley? Masses of braking to stop the flippin' truck and then gallons of fuel to accelerate back up and out again...mind you, driving through Thetford pre-bypass was hardly amusing!
Old 8 Apr 2013, 07:56 (Ref:3230748)   #11
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Hope you had the requisite visa in your passport....

Terence, the dualling will definitely be a bonus and looks like it will be roundabout free. Thetford bypass good example of how not to do it.....

I used to quite like those r/abouts Mike,nice opportunity to practice lines!
The Northern one being the best though.

As an aside,just clearing out the garage and discovered various old mags that had done different articles on some of the cars I did for Arthur. One of those has a big interview with Jack about his race exploits. The garage clear up took a little longer than expected.

Back to topic!!
Old 15 Apr 2013, 19:33 (Ref:3234827)   #12
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Seeing as no one else has said it, well done Cliff with pole and 3rd on Sunday!

Obviously the 200 suits car better than the 300........

Old 15 Apr 2013, 20:00 (Ref:3234843)   #13
Moosehead
Veteran

Moosehead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thetford by-pass roadworks - lost over 30mins getting through that section on Friday afternoon and just because dump trucks seemingly have right of way to cross the road, how ridiculous, literally miles of queuing traffic

Wow, what a busy paddock! Apparently something in the region of 330 entries (not inc 2nd drivers).

Really warm and sunny in the morning, down to just a T-shirt but as the afternoon wore on the weather slowly closed in.

8th on the grid and surrounded by various Loti with an E-type and a TR at the pointy end of the grid. Hadn't done a standing start for well over a season but used the force and all went well Bit of a dice with a plastic Lotus 7 for a lap or two but he pulled a slight gap while I dealt with getting by one of the many Elans. Slowly started to reel the 7 in when the pit window opened so made an early stop. Typically I'd spent some time practicing clipping the lap belts as they have a very narrow working angle - got them straight in but the shoulder straps which previously went straight in took this opportunity to mess about, number of seconds lost there

Unfortunately the race was subject to a fairly long safety car period to rescue a stranded Elan on the pit exit and on the restart I was unfortunate to be right behind a first time racer that didn't quite stay with the pack. Another '7' dropped a load of oil along the pit straight on the re-start too which made for a little fun choosing a line. Finished 7th o/a and 1st in class, pretty happy with that but was hoping for a little better to be honest.

Stayed over Saturday night and was hoping to support a mate who was debuting an ex Abbott Racing SAAB. Sadly a driveshaft broke towards the end of qually so that was game over.

With the dump trucks not working on Sunday we sailed through the roadworks
CSCC Swinging Sixties #128 Red/Black Mustang
Old 15 Apr 2013, 22:51 (Ref:3234937)   #14
DaveGT6
Veteran

England
Langford, Beds.
DaveGT6 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good race Wayne and not a bad result even if you hoped for better . I enjoyed watching from marshalls post 12 - you looked good sweeping through the corner. Shame about Ian's drive shaft, the SAAB looked really good through the Bomb Hole.
Old 15 Apr 2013, 23:52 (Ref:3234957)   #15
Cliff Ryan
Veteran

Cliff Ryan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCliff Ryan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Thanks Mike, weekend was a bit like a Curate's egg - good in parts.

Saturday race was on 300 circuit, which I was really looking forward to as I am down on power in comparison to a lot of the other XJS's but really enjoy the new infield circuit.

I was behind another car in qualifying, which is normally quicker than me. He was quicker on the long straights, but held me up in the infield until I got past with one lap to go and surprisingly qualified 3rd.

Was really looking forward to the race, especially when it started raining, as it's normally a great leveller, butI just couldn't get my car to stop or turn in, maybe the 5 year old tyres are past their best. With nearly everyone else on brand new tyres, I just went backward through the field and was not a happy bunny on Saturday night, so drowned my sorrows with a few beers and an Indian.

So to Sunday on the 200 circuit, where I thought I would be outclassed as it's a power circuit, so decided to just keep a friend of mine in view who is normally up the pointy end of the grid, which should mean that I would qualify reasonably well up in the pack - I got pole

Checked the car over, topped up the fuel and the oil and changed the plugs on the two cylinders with worn rings, as they were pretty oiled up.

So to the race, no pressure then, with a good few more powerful cars behind me on a power circuit!

Second place man got a flyer of a start and so I was second into the first corner, with 20 odd Jaguars all breathing down my neck, so I put my head down and went after the first place, who kept edging away from me whilst I was being attacked from the rear, until lap 5 when I was passed on the start line by the eventual race winner, after a bit of a tussle.

Kept plugging away, pulling a small gap on the next car and staying in touch with the first two in the hope that they would hold each other up and let me back through as I just didn't have the legs to catch them, so finished a very respectable third.

Great race, really surprising result given that my engine is a smoky standard Pre HE V12 which I've now had in the car for four years which just keeps on going and gives me so much fun I don't want to touch it. Car was weighed on Saturday and I'm 75 kilos over the minimum weight with driver, so I'm going to continue my personal weight loss programme and try and lose some weight off the car also rather than mess with the engine.

Thanks Mike for putting me up, as chances are if I had gone home on Saturday, I wouldn't have gone back on Sunday.
Old 16 Apr 2013, 03:52 (Ref:3235017)   #16
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Ryan View Post
Was really looking forward to the race, especially when it started raining, as it's normally a great leveller, butI just couldn't get my car to stop or turn in, maybe the 5 year old tyres are past their best.
I sympathise, reminds me of Oulton Park last year!

Sounds like a great result on the 200 well done Cliff.
Old 16 Apr 2013, 06:01 (Ref:3235050)   #17
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Good reports Wayne & Cliff, well done both. Sorry that wasn't able to enjoy that Indian with you!

Must also mention the Morgan Challenge race. Young William Plant qualified 3rd behind Dad and finished 2nd in the race. Richard 4th after an 'excursion' apparently! Good to see young driving talent getting into Historic racing (although the Challenge is not all old models) because someone will have to carry it on when some of us have trouble steering a zimmer!

The Elveden temporary traffic lights have just started operating and are controlled by the 'dumpers' which is fair enough but seems heck of a delay after one has crossed before they go green! In fairness the actual crossroads traffic lights cause just as much of a delay at peak times so the best suggestion if possible is travel outside working hours. Latest local news before I left for Spain (am on ferry just leaving Calais- still on way home!) is that the dualling will be finished ahead of schedule. Just hope that doesn't mean finish up with substandard road surface......
Old 16 Apr 2013, 16:12 (Ref:3235370)   #18
Cliff Ryan
Veteran

Here's the link to my friend James' video, he was kindly acting as camera car for me for the whole race, enjoy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3-vrho1fg0

Will post mine when my Director of Communications returns from his Far East travels!
Old 19 Apr 2013, 14:36 (Ref:3236693)   #19
JonWolfe
Rookie

European Union
Gravenhurst
JonWolfe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My son, Howard, has put a few of his pictures up.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/howard_...7633247868087/
Old 22 Apr 2013, 19:37 (Ref:3238067)   #20
yesnomaybe
Racer

yesnomaybe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
heres my photos, was some great racing, and some quiet rare cars too i think
http://www.flickr.com/photos/coletri...7633283792683/
enjoy

have only seen an Opel GT in a magazine before, the Daytona was brilliant too