Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 26 Apr 2000, 10:55 (Ref:166)   #1
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
Minardi fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, not quite, but...

How can their pitiful performance be explained this season? Are they destined to be 2000's BAR? Every race now has seen Johnny Herbert languishing at the back being BEATEN by Minardis....

Is it the chassis? The drivers? The engine?
Old 26 Apr 2000, 12:54 (Ref:167)   #2
Neil C
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Nations
People's Republic of Ann Arbor, Michigan
Neil C should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The drivers? Partly, you rarely see either in anyones top 10 list.

The chassis? For a new chassis it seems to be fairly fast. Early races showed some twitchiness which could be lack of familiarity since the drivers had less development time than needed due to weather in the pre-season.

The engine? This is where they've had most of the problems. Not with the basic powerplant, but with many of the system (oil delivery) and drivetrain (clutch)components.

Dr. Neil Ressler, the team Director, admits he made an error by having Jaguar develop many of these components "in house". Not that they weren't capable, but there was little time to develop critical components from scratch, without running into developmental and reliability problems. He did this in order to "empower" the guys and gals at Milton Keynes, but it may have proved a bit discouraging when the results were not as expected.

Another factor you didnt mention, management. I've read that Gary Anderson is not the best team player, and many at Jordan didnt mourn his departure. Criticism has been leveled at Neil Ressler, but I dont buy it. Most of it has to do with resentment of Ford, and the feeling he has elbowed the Stewarts out (wrong).

There are rumors of Brawn/Byrne coming from Ferrari next year. Also Jag will announce some management changes at/before Spain.

In any case, it's too early to tell Minardi Man. Jag's marketing has outpaced their performance so far, but who really expected them to be contenders out of the box? (OK, I did, but I'm a dreamer). In any case, I dont mind supporting an underdog, as you do. I am willing to give them a season or two, but not fifteen!
Old 26 Apr 2000, 13:21 (Ref:168)   #3
Tristan
Veteran

Tristan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ferrari will NEVER let Ross Brawn OR Rory Byrn go. However, I would not be surprised to see the Petronas in the back of the Minardi next season.

I had big expectations of the Jags this season, as i think did anyone. I've still been impressed with EI's patience and maturity, but nevertheless they're missing Rubinho. Oh, and a good overall package of a car
Old 26 Apr 2000, 17:43 (Ref:169)   #4
Mr.S
Racer

Mr.S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I knew jag would fail as soon as I heard them talking. They were way to optimistic, although not to the level of BAR last season.

As for the matter of Brawn or Bryn going over to Jaguar, doubtfull, I think they will follow Shumacher where ever he goes.

To the original question, I think that Jaguar are faster, but Minardi, is just plain better.
Old 26 Apr 2000, 17:51 (Ref:170)   #5
Neil C
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Nations
People's Republic of Ann Arbor, Michigan
Neil C should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Check out the ITV.com website for the "Mole" story on "Red turns to Green". It gives a plausible explanation AND further juicy tidbits. Thanks to Murph for ferreting out that one.

Time will tell. Minardi is better? Sure, they've had 15 years, I would hope so.
Old 26 Apr 2000, 18:58 (Ref:171)   #6
RIKB
Veteran

RIKB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ok here's a wild prediction for you.

Damon Hill will step into Paul Stewarts shoes and will also undertake some testing for Jaguar! Whatever else went wrong he is still the best test driver in the business.