Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Bike Racing

Old 3 May 2007, 16:23 (Ref:1905895)   #1
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
CBS Expands Moto GP Coverage in America

CBS will add coverage of Catalunya, Assen, and Sachsenring in addition to the US GP. This is a great move by CBS and Dorna. CBS is one of the three major networks in the United States. It is a "free" broadcast. All you need is a tv with antenna. The broadcasts will be same day delay type coverage airing at about 1pm eastern standard time. While Speed has done a good job, CBS has the potential to reach a much larger audience.

http://www.superbikeplanet.com/2007/May/070503a.htm
Old 3 May 2007, 20:43 (Ref:1906084)   #2
Schummy
Subscriber
Veteran

Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!
Maybe they are already applying the delay to Hayden
Old 4 May 2007, 01:15 (Ref:1906214)   #3
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
its not covered on cable?
Old 4 May 2007, 03:55 (Ref:1906243)   #4
djb
Veteran

djb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
unless I am mistaken, its only seen on the speciality channel "Speed", MotoGP has been on for about as long as Speedvision, (which changed name to "Speed" a few years ago) but which is not available everywhere. Here in Quebec, the French part of Canada, it has never been available on cable, while a few hours away in Ontario it was--at my fathers place in Ottawa, it was recently removed from his cable package. Satellite stuff has it though.

I started seeing MotoGP I believe when Rossi was in the 250 class, either his first season in 250's, or perhaps his second when I think he won the title, don't recall properly. I remember being just blown away by the tiny onboard cameras that gave a totally new view on bike racing.

I mention that because the article makes a point of bringing this to the "masses",although people watching AMA stuff would be used to it. Obviously they are really going after new viewers, and as J states, its a great move as there will be loads of new viewers--too bad when you think about it that Hayden's season just isn't like lasts years (so far I hope) which of course would be a plus to snagging more people in--and ultimately, perhaps the possibility of more sponsership interest, hence more teams etc etc etc.

I wonder though, will they do a "Mad Max" (the real original) ie, dubbing it into "American" for the joe-schmo average US viewer that can't get a handle on British accents and different terms? This is not meant to be derogatory on my part, its just that it always seems that the powers that be "Americanize" shows as they perceive (perhaps rightly so) that their audience needs a familiar accent. Speed did it with the WRC, World Rally Championship, with an american commentator setting up the race commentary and explaining the ideas of pace notes etc--not a bad thing mind you, this sport does have its particularites and it surely did help the uninitiated to get the details better and to better appreciate the event.

anyway, I just hope that no matter what commentators they have, the quality of clean, hard racing-passing here there and everywhere, with no bumpin' and rubbin' will make some converts.
Old 4 May 2007, 04:19 (Ref:1906254)   #5
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomick
its not covered on cable?
Moto GP is available through Speed (satelite or cable). It's as good as it gets for us, but the reach is limited. Especially when you consider the population of the United States. Network TV is far more reaching.

djb - As for commentators, they mentioned using CBS talent and that Scwantz will be in on it, which will be good.
Old 4 May 2007, 14:22 (Ref:1906593)   #6
djb
Veteran

djb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhansen
djb - and that Scwantz will be in on it, which will be good.
that is good, here in Canada for the F1 races and Champ Car stuff, they have had Canadian tv guys sometimes who were pretty bad, not overly informed and boring to boot.
Old 4 May 2007, 14:30 (Ref:1906602)   #7
Schummy
Subscriber
Veteran

Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!
Here in Antarctica MotoGP commentary is good but a bit cold (to not speak about the mess with time zones)
Old 5 May 2007, 02:35 (Ref:1906905)   #8
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Hazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If you really were in Antarctica you'd be picking up South American coverage.
Old 5 May 2007, 04:02 (Ref:1906921)   #9
Schummy
Subscriber
Veteran

I'm in Antarctica and you are in Irak... why life is so hard with us?

(At least we are not in Australia)