Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 17 Oct 2005, 10:27 (Ref:1435819)   #1
GaryMkII
Rookie

GaryMkII should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Newbie hello

Hi Marshals of the world

I'd just like to say hello to all as I'm a newbie and had the pleasure of going along to Brands Hatch at the weekend and, sort of, helping out with some very basic duties which included holding some flags, waving a flag and not waving/holding flags when I should have done :/

It was a very good experience and one I want to take on next season. Being a family man I don't know how much I can commit to at the moment but I'm willing to give it a go. I also know that I will be on a very steep learning curve.

On Saturday I got caught up too much in watching the race and not the people falling off or leaving the track, time will tell if I can get the hang of that

All the people were very friendly and helpful and they didn't smack my legs when I forgot to flag. Thanks to the guys for loans of gloves and also a free tabard from Gord, which was nice. Everyone made me feel welcome and after watching races from the 'outside' it was very much an eye opener to see what goes on behind the scenes and how the race director pulls it all together.

Hope to see more of you all next season
Old 17 Oct 2005, 10:40 (Ref:1435827)   #2
Grandslammer
Veteran

Wales
Grandslammer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Welcome to the forum and Marshalling,have FUN
Old 17 Oct 2005, 11:56 (Ref:1435903)   #3
Gerryc
Racer

United Kingdom
Aylesbury, Bucks.
Gerryc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thats another one hooked! Welcome and enjoy yourself in the land of the insane.
Old 17 Oct 2005, 11:58 (Ref:1435904)   #4
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Hi Gary,

Welcome to Ten-Tenths and to marshalling. It sounds like you had a great time at the weekend (what was on at Brands?) and I hope to meet you there soon. Will you be there this coming weekend for the Formula Ford Festival?
Old 17 Oct 2005, 18:36 (Ref:1436241)   #5
GaryMkII
Rookie

Thanks for the welcome guys

Stephen, I won't be there for the Formula Ford festival though I would like to have been. Having watched FF before I know how exciting it can be! There was an MRO meeting at Brands 125's 250's, 400's, mini twins, powerbikes and the sidecars. Saw some excellent racing
Old 17 Oct 2005, 18:46 (Ref:1436253)   #6
aland
Veteran

Scotland
West Scotland
aland should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
welcome gary, as a newbie myself I would have to say that this forum is one of the friendliest on the net
Old 17 Oct 2005, 20:44 (Ref:1436424)   #7
spottymarshal
Rookie

England
Chatham,Kent
spottymarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Gary and welcome

I'm glad you enjoyed yourself at the MRO Meeting, I was there also from Friday's test day through to Sunday.

I was at Graham Hill on Friday had a few bit's to deal with including running halfway to Druids to get a fallen rider then in the next session had to run up to the inside of Paddock to help another rider who had broken down right on the apex.

Was at bottom of Paddock Hill on Saturday only one to deal with and was then moved to Druids on Sunday had a few bits to do including more running.

What corner where you on?
Old 18 Oct 2005, 09:41 (Ref:1436824)   #8
GaryMkII
Rookie

Hi Spotty, thanks for the welcome.

We were on the McLaren bit by the medical centre entrance to the track. I'm not sure if that's anywhere near Paddock Hill, it was opposite the Paddock so I suppose it could have been. I was only there on the Saturday as a try out, the other lads went back there on the Sunday.

This running thing is a bit scary though! I haven't done that sort of thing since my twenties (and no not the 1920's either ).

Last edited by GaryMkII; 18 Oct 2005 at 09:41. Reason: Forgot my manners.
Old 18 Oct 2005, 12:56 (Ref:1436942)   #9
TwoSheds
Veteran

England
Farnborough, UK
TwoSheds should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTwoSheds should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryMkII
Hi Spotty, thanks for the welcome.

We were on the McLaren bit by the medical centre entrance to the track. I'm not sure if that's anywhere near Paddock Hill, it was opposite the Paddock so I suppose it could have been. I was only there on the Saturday as a try out, the other lads went back there on the Sunday.

This running thing is a bit scary though! I haven't done that sort of thing since my twenties (and no not the 1920's either ).
Paddock Hill is the first corner at Brands Hatch. The paddock you mentioned is the main Pits and Assembly areas.
Old 18 Oct 2005, 13:37 (Ref:1436965)   #10
GaryMkII
Rookie

Cheers Two Sheds, I sit corrected. I'm new at this so I'll be making quite a lot of mistakes in the near (and far!) future
Old 18 Oct 2005, 16:34 (Ref:1437114)   #11
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Glad you enjoyed it, the first 10 years are the worst...............
Old 18 Oct 2005, 20:50 (Ref:1437337)   #12
spottymarshal
Rookie

England
Chatham,Kent
spottymarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Gary

Your friends had quite a busy day if they were at Mclaren on sunday as they had a few incidents to deal with.

Look forward to meeting you either at the training day next year or at one of the remaining meetings this year.
Old 19 Oct 2005, 04:29 (Ref:1437585)   #13
sss
Veteran

England
life is to short, dance naked
sss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
welcome gary

it was a good meeting glad you enjoyed it, although it was a little busy at mclarens on the sunday, but some nice weather to go with the racing. I shall hopefully see you at the training day.

sss
Old 19 Oct 2005, 08:44 (Ref:1437713)   #14
The STIG
Veteran

United Kingdom
Too far from home
The STIG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ermm... Not too sure how to say this...

I'm a newbie too! Spent last weekend on the banks at Pembrey having a great time landscape gardning.

I've been marshalling for 3 days and already have had to hold flags, shovel/brush cement, Shovel/brush topsoil, and retrive bits of truck and caterham from the circuit!
Old 19 Oct 2005, 10:00 (Ref:1437767)   #15
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
That makes you 'experienced' now

Welcome to marshalling and also to ten-tenths
Old 19 Oct 2005, 10:18 (Ref:1437783)   #16
Grandslammer
Veteran

Wales
Grandslammer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The STIG
Ermm... Not too sure how to say this...

I'm a newbie too! Spent last weekend on the banks at Pembrey having a great time landscape gardning.

I've been marshalling for 3 days and already have had to hold flags, shovel/brush cement, Shovel/brush topsoil, and retrive bits of truck and caterham from the circuit!
Welcome 'STIG'...Yeah, trucks do tend to rearrange the scenery somewhat
Old 19 Oct 2005, 10:24 (Ref:1437790)   #17
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
HI STIG....take it ur the girl from swansea institute then!..im adam...drag racing guy doin the motosport year 1...talkin to u and dave yesterday
Old 19 Oct 2005, 11:34 (Ref:1437841)   #18
The STIG
Veteran

United Kingdom
Too far from home
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascarracinguk
HI STIG....take it ur the girl from swansea institute then!..im adam...drag racing guy doin the motosport year 1...talkin to u and dave yesterday
Completely wrong I'm afraid!!!

I'm the boy from University of Glamorgan!!

I'm Kev BTW.
Old 19 Oct 2005, 11:57 (Ref:1437862)   #19
Avonne
Rookie

England
Suffolk
Avonne should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Would this be the Gary I know , oh yes it is, Thanks for the help on Sat. A few more meetings will sort you out. I think there will be a training day at Snett early in the year. I'll keep you posted.
Old 23 Oct 2005, 09:27 (Ref:1441112)   #20
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
LOL DOH...sorry kev...was jus a bit spooky i was talkin to her at uni and then later i read this thread....HI im adam...living in morriston at the moment...been marshalling for about 4 years n now doing a motorsport engineering course at swansea institute....other girl i was talking about just started marshalling....she was on post 3 at pembrey at the weekend for the trucks....maybe ill see ya at the renault thing in november?

adam
Old 23 Oct 2005, 11:14 (Ref:1441175)   #21
The STIG
Veteran

United Kingdom
Too far from home
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascarracinguk
LOL DOH...sorry kev...was jus a bit spooky i was talkin to her at uni and then later i read this thread....HI im adam...living in morriston at the moment...been marshalling for about 4 years n now doing a motorsport engineering course at swansea institute....other girl i was talking about just started marshalling....she was on post 3 at pembrey at the weekend for the trucks....maybe ill see ya at the renault thing in november?

adam
yeah I thought that's who you meant. I was on posts 8 (saturday) and 4 for the trucks.

I'm going to be there for the november meeting, although I didn't know anything about renault?

if you want to know who your looking for, look at my website - under the heading "your host" : http://spaces.msn.com/members/f457kev/

see you there...

Kev.

p.s. no laughing!
Old 27 Nov 2005, 21:10 (Ref:1471634)   #22
GaryMkII
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avonne
Would this be the Gary I know , oh yes it is, Thanks for the help on Sat. A few more meetings will sort you out. I think there will be a training day at Snett early in the year. I'll keep you posted.
Hello mate Thanks for the direction

I need some training. I learn how to put fires out in buckets at work with a red squirter but I think this might be a bit different
Old 28 Nov 2005, 08:21 (Ref:1471887)   #23
b1ackcr0w
Veteran

b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!
Welcome to the fold Gary,

We've found we can boil the advice to newbies down to a few easy to remember rules.

Try everything at least once.
If you aren't making mistakes, or it doesn't scare you - Give up.
If you ever see guys in orange having a party, you are invited, we didn't know your address to send the invite.
Always have too much food and a Black Bin Liner
Old 28 Nov 2005, 08:34 (Ref:1471900)   #24
Hepatic
Veteran

United Kingdom
Preston-ish
Hepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by b1ackcr0w
Always have too much food and a Black Bin Liner
now we all know what you mean by that, but someone new might think the bin liner is for AFTER you have eaten "too much food"!!!
Old 30 Nov 2005, 15:13 (Ref:1473941)   #25
Startline Ed
Racer

United Kingdom
Bristol
Startline Ed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There seem to be quite a few Marshals attending welsh unis. I'm at Aberystwyth and have done three seasons. Also have a friend at Glamorgan, though not Kev aka the Stig, who i introduced to marshaling last year.