Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 15 Sep 2010, 19:23 (Ref:2760003)   #51
Icebaby
Veteran

Icebaby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Right idea from the BBC to detect someone needs to go but wrong person.

Coulthard and Jordan are worse, no rapport between them and all they do is end up arguing, Coulthard should never have been taken on as he is biased towards Red Bull and Jordan seems to think he's still running a team.

Christian Horner features so much one could mistake him as being on the BBC's payroll
Old 15 Sep 2010, 19:39 (Ref:2760014)   #52
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Fielden View Post
I think Karun is the best analyst out of the three. He is a fountain of knowledge and he doesn't waffle. He says what needs to be said and he will even keep you informed as to whats going on on-track while he's giving you useull information. Its a hard skill to master. I think he's brilliant however as mentioned before with his age his career would probably be more of a priority than becoming a commentator.
Agree completely. He is absolutely excellent and though I'd much prefer to see his career develop, I think another year like this playing musical chairs for the worst seat in F1 [by some margin] is worse than a spot in the booth. But yes Karun Chandok is arguably the best F1 pundit on TV at the moment.
Old 15 Sep 2010, 19:39 (Ref:2760016)   #53
Fox89
Veteran

United Kingdom
Leamington Spa, UK
Fox89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFox89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Just dump Jake, hasn't an opinion worth listening to, you have to have expert knowledge of the sport you are hosting
Not at all. Pundits and analysts need to have expert knowledge, the hosts job is just to tie it all together. Expert knowledge for that role is a bonus, not a prerequisite. And it's good to have someone to ask the questions for the experts to answer.
Old 15 Sep 2010, 19:57 (Ref:2760030)   #54
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
Exactly right. The presenter should be directing discussions, not broadcasting his opinions to everybody watching. I think Jake does a great job - he's enthusiastic, charismatic and interested in the subject, and that's exactly what you need in a host.
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 15 Sep 2010, 19:58 (Ref:2760033)   #55
staid davenport
Racer

England
London
staid davenport has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Fingers crossed. He does say "F-Duct" too much - so much so that for Spa we turned it into a drinking game, not doing again after monza, was very very sick the next day :-(
Old 15 Sep 2010, 20:12 (Ref:2760043)   #56
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
For anyone who wants to vote on who should be the lead commentator there is is a thread in Armchair Enthusiast: http://tentenths.com/forum/showthrea...25#post2760025
Old 15 Sep 2010, 20:59 (Ref:2760064)   #57
Dead-Eye
Veteran

Estonia
Dead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I wouldn't mind Crofty in any combination with Davidson, Chandhok and Brundle - except all of them at the same time.

I read somewhere that you could listen to Crofty and Chandhok on the red button last weekend, is that true? (Unfortunately I won't get near a BBC-receiving TV for the rest of the year) Maybe that was a kind of test run?
Old 15 Sep 2010, 21:01 (Ref:2760067)   #58
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
You have been able to get 5L commentary on the red button since the BBC had the rights.
Old 15 Sep 2010, 22:55 (Ref:2760116)   #59
Wims
Veteran

Norway
Wims should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWims should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead-Eye View Post

I read somewhere that you could listen to Crofty and Chandhok on the red button last weekend, is that true? (Unfortunately I won't get near a BBC-receiving TV for the rest of the year) Maybe that was a kind of test run?
You have been able to do that now for the last two years. Its pretty good, but not quite as good as it is for practice
Old 15 Sep 2010, 23:06 (Ref:2760121)   #60
parkingjedi
Racer

Bhutan
parkingjedi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Legard is irritating, good news that he is being biffed. Get Eddie and David in the box - make them earn their money rather than blousing around during the race.
3 way commentary with Brundle in the captains seat... as long as Eddie is kept on a short leash.
Old 15 Sep 2010, 23:16 (Ref:2760126)   #61
Thundersports
Veteran

Balearic Islands
On the dark side of the moon
Thundersports should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Should have been and should be Ben Edwards.
Old 15 Sep 2010, 23:21 (Ref:2760129)   #62
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Alex Yoong does the commentary on StarSportsAsia, perhaps they should give him a run?
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 15 Sep 2010, 23:40 (Ref:2760134)   #63
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Here down under we get the BBC race commentary and pit lane reports only so can't really pass comment on some of the suggestions on here re a replacement.

Surely to hell though, Legard HAS to go - he is just about the worst english language commentator of any sport that I've ever come across. Bloke gabbles like an idiot, can't say the word "sixth", talks over Martin, doesn't understand the sport his talking about etc etc.

Here's an alternative from left field - how about Phil Liggett? He's a bloody good commentator (in my view) is in the UK, understands a sport with many similarities to F1 and really knows how to paint a picture of the essence of a competition and fit in well with a colour commentator. Mind you, he may not be available for three weeks in July!
Old 16 Sep 2010, 02:00 (Ref:2760149)   #64
HDTVKSS
Veteran

HDTVKSS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Neil Crompton is the guy your looking for.
Old 16 Sep 2010, 02:10 (Ref:2760153)   #65
dsg
Veteran

Thailand
Chonburi
dsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
A good start.
Old 16 Sep 2010, 06:05 (Ref:2760173)   #66
Nicholosophy
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Nicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridNicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridNicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I don't mind Legard.

In Australia, we still have ad breaks and at the start and end of each break, the locals decide to have their say on the race. The most exciting things have been happening around this time and they prattle on about something they saw five minutes ago. I'm shouting at the TV "get back to Martin you ****ing prats".

Never works mind you. Now if they could get rid of them, and give us the whole BCC lead up, race, and post race coverage, I'd be a happy camper.
Old 16 Sep 2010, 06:23 (Ref:2760181)   #67
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedworx View Post
If I was the BBC I would swap Croft and Legard. Pit Legard back on the radio duties and bring Croft to the tv.
This I think is the most sensible and most likely outcome.
Old 16 Sep 2010, 07:36 (Ref:2760201)   #68
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickoGP View Post
I don't mind Legard.

In Australia, we still have ad breaks and at the start and end of each break, the locals decide to have their say on the race. The most exciting things have been happening around this time and they prattle on about something they saw five minutes ago. I'm shouting at the TV "get back to Martin you ****ing prats".

Never works mind you. Now if they could get rid of them, and give us the whole BCC lead up, race, and post race coverage, I'd be a happy camper.

Australia has to have the worst GP coverage in English in the world - beyond horrible!
Old 16 Sep 2010, 08:16 (Ref:2760211)   #69
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundersports View Post
Should have been and should be Ben Edwards.
Totally. I've been ranting about this since Murray left. I think the reason he hasn't gone there is because of the travel involved or something. I know he didn't want to continue with the Eurosport ChampCar coverage back in the day because he couldn't [or didn't want to] continue hopping across the Atlantic. Ran into him several times at Heathrow back then [as I was doing more or less the same thing].
Old 16 Sep 2010, 08:29 (Ref:2760218)   #70
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
I guess if you're the sort of person who dislikes travelling a job in F1 would have a profoundly negative effect on your quality of life. Still, do the commentators need to be at the Grands Prix? Murray & James used to regularly commentate remotely from BBC television centre.
Old 16 Sep 2010, 08:33 (Ref:2760219)   #71
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Well someone come up with a fantastic idea on the BBC site - why not provide a live feed for Murray on the red button? Set up a mic/recording equipment at Murray's gaff

Selby
Old 16 Sep 2010, 08:37 (Ref:2760221)   #72
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyboy View Post
Totally. I've been ranting about this since Murray left. I think the reason he hasn't gone there is because of the travel involved or something. I know he didn't want to continue with the Eurosport ChampCar coverage back in the day because he couldn't [or didn't want to] continue hopping across the Atlantic. Ran into him several times at Heathrow back then [as I was doing more or less the same thing].
Ben is totally willing and indeed eager to do the job. Spoke to him last night.
Old 16 Sep 2010, 08:40 (Ref:2760223)   #73
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by parkingjedi View Post
Legard is irritating, good news that he is being biffed. Get Eddie and David in the box - make them earn their money rather than blousing around during the race.
3 way commentary with Brundle in the captains seat... as long as Eddie is kept on a short leash.
Eddie Jordan?! Don't we get enough of that windbag in the pre- and post-race shows?
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 16 Sep 2010, 08:44 (Ref:2760227)   #74
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by b1ackcr0w View Post
I'm wondering if DC is being fitted for the role alongside Martin?
I don't think anyone would be able to go more then 10 minutes without vomiting
Old 16 Sep 2010, 08:54 (Ref:2760232)   #75
Jamesy-18
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire
Jamesy-18 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I personally don't mind him. He's a hell of a lot better that James Allen was, none of the blatant bias that drove me close to insanity in '07-'08.

I'm suprised too, at how much people must be concentrating solely on the commentary. I mean, I know it's there and I'm listening to it, but the on screen action keeps me much more entertained than thinking about what Legard has just said. Could I give you a quote from him from Monza? No.

Not Ben Edwards. He's too brilliant a BTCC commentator to do the F1 thing. Besides, I think before the BBC announced that Legard would be the commentator, they approached Edwards and he turned it down.