Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 5 Apr 2012, 22:43 (Ref:3054283)   #26
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Ron Howard did an outstanding job with Apollo 13 and his attention to detail and chracterisation is excellent. Driven, this won't be.
Old 6 Apr 2012, 12:40 (Ref:3054456)   #27
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
It looks good. To see the vintage Brabham and McLaren trucks alive, clean and in-the-flesh was great. Ron Howard's whole attitude towards this project is impressive.

I wouldn't be too worried about perfect detail. As a piece of cinema its much more important to capture the ambiance and spirit of the era. As it is, Howard's attention to detail can't be a bone of contention and I'm happy to forgive him for it for he does falter a little bit in this area.
Old 6 Apr 2012, 17:28 (Ref:3054560)   #28
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
That Bell Helmet sticker looks too modern
Old 6 Apr 2012, 22:41 (Ref:3054662)   #29
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
That Bell Helmet sticker looks too modern
I am warning you...
Old 7 Apr 2012, 01:27 (Ref:3054692)   #30
BobHWS
Veteran

United States
Winston-Salem, NC
BobHWS should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBobHWS should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Some photos taken last fall during filming at the Nurburgring and published on Autoblog.

Old 7 Apr 2012, 07:11 (Ref:3054716)   #31
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
They have also been filming 1970 F3 cars at Crystal Palace, using small sections of the remaining circuit. A lot of CGI will be used on green screens. Cadwell and Brands will be filmed and tweaked to look like the Nurburgring. They were also at Brands last month with BRM P160 mock-ups..road car engines. Looking good if you follow Ron Howard's daily photo diary on twitter.
Old 7 Apr 2012, 09:30 (Ref:3054744)   #32
maximus
Veteran

United Kingdom
Yorkshire
maximus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmaximus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I... Can't.... Wait.... those pictures are amazing!
Old 7 Apr 2012, 14:48 (Ref:3054877)   #33
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
This should be a great movie for us F1 fans.
Old 7 Apr 2012, 16:34 (Ref:3054920)   #34
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi View Post
This should be a great movie for us F1 fans.
I know it sounds like it's going to really great..

Ron Howard is a wonderful film director...
Old 7 Apr 2012, 16:46 (Ref:3054928)   #35
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
This is certainly bringing back a lot of memories; I got into F1 in the '70s.

As a movie format motor racing has been fairly hit or miss, with the best movie being Le Mans and worst Driven. This, though looks like Ron Howard's on to a winner. Who would have thought, from Richie Cunningham to F1?
Old 7 Apr 2012, 18:05 (Ref:3054958)   #36
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
'71... I got it all, my memories are like those days were unbeatable, true heroes through deadly weekends.
Old 11 Apr 2012, 03:11 (Ref:3056914)   #37
BobHWS
Veteran

United States
Winston-Salem, NC
BobHWS should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBobHWS should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Ron Howard tweeted this from the Nurburgring Tuesday about Wednesday's filming at the Ring: "Planning for a real challenge to entire company and crew tomorrow" Hmm, sounds pretty interesting.

Old 11 Apr 2012, 17:41 (Ref:3057276)   #38
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
This has been going the rounds today on Twitter:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXHDx...ature=youtu.be

It's meant to be the Lauda crash scene, but if they're going for accuracy they got it wrong. It was Arturo Merzario, Brett Lunger,Guy Edwards and Harald Ertl who saved his life. It was Merzario who undid the safety belts by diving into the flames and then he and the others pulled Lauda free. I don't remember a rescue vehicle arriving until later. That was one of the problems with the place.
Old 11 Apr 2012, 17:43 (Ref:3057277)   #39
m1fcf
Veteran

United Kingdom
m1fcf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridm1fcf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The film is not yet released, and already people are picking at it....heaven forbid that it might tell a story, rather than be a documentary???
Old 11 Apr 2012, 17:56 (Ref:3057282)   #40
Fox89
Veteran

United Kingdom
Leamington Spa, UK
Fox89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFox89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's also important to remember that this is a dramatisation, so we shouldn't expect it to be completely true. The way I understand it Howard is approaching this film in the same way as he approached Apollo 13: basically accurate but with creative liberties. Good way of doing things, I have a lot of trust in the guy

I can't wait to see that scene in the final cut after all the editing and music is done for it!

Also I just flipped back a page and saw the pictures of the cars during filming... I've always wondered what 70's F1 cars would look like in the modern day on a race circuit, without the 70's film grain and image quality. And now I know! For some reason it's much easier to imagine people actually racing in them now...
Old 11 Apr 2012, 18:32 (Ref:3057308)   #41
BobHWS
Veteran

United States
Winston-Salem, NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox89 View Post

Also I just flipped back a page and saw the pictures of the cars during filming... I've always wondered what 70's F1 cars would look like in the modern day on a race circuit, without the 70's film grain and image quality. And now I know! For some reason it's much easier to imagine people actually racing in them now...
Well, that's easy...have a look at my photos, for example, of historic F1 cars during a support race at last summer's Canadian Grand Prix. I guess that assumes you consider Montreal to be a "modern day" track.

Historic F1 cars - Montreal 2011

Old 11 Apr 2012, 18:34 (Ref:3057309)   #42
Fox89
Veteran

United Kingdom
Leamington Spa, UK
Fox89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFox89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobHWS View Post
Well, that's easy...have a look at my photos, for example, of historic F1 cars during a support race at last summer's Canadian Grand Prix. I guess that assumes you consider Montreal to be a "modern day" track.

So... awesome! Thanks for those. I've only seen them stationary before... well, I know that photos are stationary too but you know what I mean right?
Old 11 Apr 2012, 21:12 (Ref:3057419)   #43
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
If you get yourself to Silverstone for the GP I expect you should see some of the '70s cars racing in the FIA Histotic F1 series.
Old 11 Apr 2012, 21:18 (Ref:3057426)   #44
Fox89
Veteran

United Kingdom
Leamington Spa, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhound View Post
If you get yourself to Silverstone for the GP I expect you should see some of the '70s cars racing in the FIA Histotic F1 series.
As it happens I will be there for this year's GP! I didn't realise they were doing a historic race, so I'll look forward to that
Old 12 Apr 2012, 17:53 (Ref:3057941)   #45
autoidiodyssey
Rookie

United States
Maryland
autoidiodyssey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I've always wondered what 70's F1 cars would look like in the modern day on a race circuit, without the 70's film grain and image quality. And now I know! For some reason it's much easier to imagine people actually racing in them now...
I don't want to hijack the thread with modern pics of old F1 cars, but here are a couple from Laguna Seca. Most are from the same era as the movie so it is not a complete highjack.

1976 Ferrari 312 T2 by autoidiodyssey, on Flickr

Fastest Thing On Six Wheels by autoidiodyssey, on Flickr

Crowded Corkscrew by autoidiodyssey, on Flickr
Old 12 Apr 2012, 20:07 (Ref:3057998)   #46
Richard B
Racer

United Kingdom
Oxford
Richard B should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
It's also important to remember that this is a dramatisation, so we shouldn't expect it to be completely true. The way I understand it Howard is approaching this film in the same way as he approached Apollo 13: basically accurate but with creative liberties. Good way of doing things, I have a lot of trust in the guy

I can't wait to see that scene in the final cut after all the editing and music is done for it!

Not too creative liberties I hope, "Houston we have a problem" was never actually said by Jim Lovell nor was "Failure is not an option" by Gene Kranz.
I wonder what iconic phrases Hunt and Lauda are likely to be scripted with.
Old 12 Apr 2012, 20:11 (Ref:3058002)   #47
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard B View Post
Not too creative liberties I hope, "Houston we have a problem" was never actually said by Jim Lovell nor was "Failure is not an option" by Gene Kranz.
I wonder what iconic phrases Hunt and Lauda are likely to be scripted with.
It was Rusty Swigert who actually said: 'Houston, we've had a problem.'
Old 12 Apr 2012, 21:12 (Ref:3058044)   #48
m1fcf
Veteran

United Kingdom
m1fcf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridm1fcf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
It was Rusty Swigert who actually said: 'Houston, we've had a problem.'
I thought a Rusty Swigert was the problem that caused the explosion? Isn't that a part of an oxygen tank?

Old 13 Apr 2012, 14:31 (Ref:3058425)   #49
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1fcf View Post
I thought a Rusty Swigert was the problem that caused the explosion? Isn't that a part of an oxygen tank?

Lool.
Old 14 Apr 2012, 01:33 (Ref:3058696)   #50
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1fcf View Post

You stirrer you..