Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 23 Dec 2017, 20:24 (Ref:3788877)   #301
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!
Can I third it? Glasses up...it is Christmas!
Cheers Ayse...shouldn't you be on "Three word story"?
Old 24 Dec 2017, 11:39 (Ref:3788980)   #302
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Yep - just popped in there......
Old 27 Dec 2017, 10:06 (Ref:3789277)   #303
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
A bit of a social media faux pas from Lewis this week..
Old 27 Dec 2017, 10:34 (Ref:3789284)   #304
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Really?

I'd like to reply 'Am I bothered?'

Ah, I just did.......
Old 27 Dec 2017, 11:01 (Ref:3789289)   #305
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
Definitely a storm in a teacup isn’t it? Some quite extreme reactions on Twitter etc..
Old 27 Dec 2017, 11:44 (Ref:3789298)   #306
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
PC police at it again.
Old 27 Dec 2017, 12:58 (Ref:3789309)   #307
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I tend to agree with him. But then again I'm not a snowflake nor do I particularly care whether someone thinks they are a victim. IMO he should not have apologised.
Old 27 Dec 2017, 13:42 (Ref:3789321)   #308
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
A sprinkling of light rain in a teacup.
Old 27 Dec 2017, 15:55 (Ref:3789338)   #309
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Lewis commenting on what people should wear? This is a setup...right?
Old 27 Dec 2017, 19:29 (Ref:3789357)   #310
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
Lewis commenting on what people should wear? This is a setup...right?
I thought the same. Lewis commenting on what is appropriate when it comes to fashion.

Richard
Old 28 Dec 2017, 09:32 (Ref:3789414)   #311
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!

Boys don't dress like princesses anyway.
Old 28 Dec 2017, 14:37 (Ref:3789457)   #312
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
I posted this on Facebook just now.

Right, the UK's greatest Grand Prix drivers since the beginning of the world championship in 1950:
1. Clark
2. Moss
3. Surtees
4. Brooks
5. Stewart
6. Hawthorn
7. Hamilton
8. Collins
9. Hill, G.
10. Mansell
Old 28 Dec 2017, 15:03 (Ref:3789464)   #313
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchneiderFan View Post

Right, the UK's greatest Grand Prix drivers since the beginning of the world championship in 1950:
1. Clark
2. Moss
3. Surtees
4. Brooks
5. Stewart
6. Hawthorn
7. Hamilton
8. Collins
9. Hill, G.
10. Mansell
What is that based on?
Old 28 Dec 2017, 15:22 (Ref:3789467)   #314
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Seriously Hawthorn above Hamilton? That’s just wrong. Hamilton gives it his all, whereas Hawthorn, for all his talent, wasn’t on it every weekend, with all due respect
Old 28 Dec 2017, 16:40 (Ref:3789473)   #315
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

1. Clark
2. Moss
3. Surtees
4. Brooks
5. Stewart
6. Hawthorn
7. Hamilton
8. Collins
9. Hill, G.
10. Mansell
Why?
Old 28 Dec 2017, 18:00 (Ref:3789481)   #316
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
My own perception, which is all I can base it on. I think Hamilton has had his off days, and Hawthorn was racing with a serious medical complaint.
Old 28 Dec 2017, 18:49 (Ref:3789489)   #317
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
My own perception, which is all I can base it on. I think Hamilton has had his off days, and Hawthorn was racing with a serious medical complaint.
What's your perception based on?
Old 28 Dec 2017, 18:55 (Ref:3789490)   #318
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Like all 'here is my list of the greatest ever drivers' lists, it will always be flawed because everyone else will think differently. These things can only be personal....
Old 28 Dec 2017, 22:09 (Ref:3789510)   #319
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
The thing with Hawthorn and Hamilton is that Hamilton's talent is never tested in a way that Hawthorn's was. Hawthorn drove difficult death traps on death trap tracks that would be totally unimaginable to anyone today.

If courage is included as a metric for the "Greatest" then you gotta give it to the top guns who preceded the Jackie Stewart revolution. Or the Ayrton Senna revolution.
Old 28 Dec 2017, 22:19 (Ref:3789511)   #320
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Though Mansell drove through several very serious back injuries, which is why I gave him the nod.
Old 28 Dec 2017, 22:23 (Ref:3789512)   #321
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
The thing with Hawthorn and Hamilton is that Hamilton's talent is never tested in a way that Hawthorn's was. Hawthorn drove difficult death traps on death trap tracks that would be totally unimaginable to anyone today.

If courage is included as a metric for the "Greatest" then you gotta give it to the top guns who preceded the Jackie Stewart revolution. Or the Ayrton Senna revolution.
Hamilton was seriously tested by Alonso, Button and Rosberg?
Old 28 Dec 2017, 23:56 (Ref:3789526)   #322
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
Hamilton was seriously tested by Alonso, Button and Rosberg?
Fine drivers. Jousting with them though on circuits packed with run-offs ain't dicing with the Grim Reaper with only some bales of hay to separate you from the trees. If courage is the necessary ingredient for "The Greatest", it's the unfit, play hard types of yesteryear that are the top dogs.
Old 29 Dec 2017, 02:28 (Ref:3789535)   #323
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Fine drivers. Jousting with them though on circuits packed with run-offs ain't dicing with the Grim Reaper with only some bales of hay to separate you from the trees. If courage is the necessary ingredient for "The Greatest", it's the unfit, play hard types of yesteryear that are the top dogs.
This is an excellent example of how difficult it is to compare drivers because of the different eras. If courage is the necessary ingredient for "The Greatest", then they all have it, which makes it nigh on impossible to say who is.
Old 29 Dec 2017, 10:02 (Ref:3789563)   #324
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I'd say that mistakes are still punished, just ask Vettel this season. It's the fact it's no longer lethal to make mistakes, but it doesn't make drivers any less greater than those in the 50s and 60s
Old 29 Dec 2017, 10:05 (Ref:3789565)   #325
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Quote:
This argument has an inherent problem as it means nobody can ever be as good as someone from a few years before them. The further back you go, the more credit drivers get. It's deliberately weighed to give much more credit to older drivers. Lewis could win 15 titles, but never be any good using this sort of system.

Safety and eras don't tend to have huge jumps - they are long slow developments over time. We didn't go from hay bales to tarmac run off in one go. So using the idea that older is always better due to challenge, Damon Hill is miles better than Lewis because he had no tarmac run off.

How far do you want to go with it?