Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 3 May 2001, 05:12 (Ref:88222)   #1
Diabando
Veteran

Australia
Victoria, Australia
Diabando should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDiabando should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
How to store a car!?

Finally, I have reached the point where I am going to take my beautiful HQ Holden off the road, and into storage. It will only be driven once in a blue moon, on a nice weekend, or some such day.

I had great plans to fully detail and clean it up, disconnect the battery, and pop it under a cover in the garage, but now I am hearing horror stories about everything drying up (engine, transmission etc) and the car being unusable if left too long without being driven.

So - what to do?? I need some help! What maintenance is required? What is the best way to store the car? etc etc.
Old 3 May 2001, 12:27 (Ref:88302)   #2
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
I dont really know the answer diabando ..all I can say is that I really want to see this machine of yours..and thankyou for keeping a part of australian Automotive history in such good shape

could you possibly post a pic or 2 of it please????
Old 3 May 2001, 15:15 (Ref:88356)   #3
Ray Bell
Veteran

Ray Bell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: How to store a car!?

Quote:
Originally posted by Diabando
I had great plans to fully detail and clean it up, disconnect the battery, and pop it under a cover in the garage, but now I am hearing horror stories about everything drying up (engine, transmission etc) and the car being unusable if left too long without being driven.
Disconnecting the battery would be nice, but the battery needs a bit of use to keep in alive too. Can you hook up a little light to the battery to run it down a bit for a few days, then put it on trickle charge to bring it back up, make that a regular cycle if you're not using the car for over about two weeks.

Other than that, for extended periods you should start it up once a month or so, I'd say, always checking water level, and make sure the tyres don't go down. Over six months I'd say take the load off the tyres if possible.
Old 4 May 2001, 02:21 (Ref:88592)   #4
Sparky
Veteran

Sparky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Excellent advice Ray, the only thing I'd add is to make sure that the engine coolant has some anti-corrosion properties.

Most (but not all) of today's proprietory anti-freeze and summer coolant mixtures contain corrosion inhibitors, and this is particularly important on vehicles with aluminium engine components. (Cylinder heads, water pumps, etc)

The only other one I can think of is a long-term precaution - a coating of vaseline or light grease on the chrome and bright mazak pieces in areas of high corrosion. (ie near the coast.)

Good luck with your Holden, Jen!
Old 4 May 2001, 02:52 (Ref:88600)   #5
Ray Bell
Veteran

Holdens, having iron blocks and heads, aren't so susceptible to the corrosion problems of many Euro, British and Jap cars, but you make a good point, and one I'd like to expand on:

When you buy a coolant inhibitor or antifreeze, try to avoid Glycol mixes. Glycol itself is a corrosive, and the inhibitor will wear out before the Glycol...

Something I learned only recently...
Old 4 May 2001, 05:45 (Ref:88674)   #6
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Since you say you took the bodywork back to bare metal, I presume that you have taken all the steps to ensure the bodywork is fully rust proofed. The Holden was never that great against corrosion, so this would be the worst enemy of your car. Take notice of HQ's on the street and also in wrecking years to see which parts of the car (like around the headlights say) are most prone to rust, and make sure your car is protected, if necessary with a baffle plate to stop grit and muck getting into the area around the headlights. There is nothing worse than to see your pride and joy rusting away right before your eyes, and that happened to my Peugeot 505 in Hong Kong. That was when I switched to Volvo, but I digress. I don't know whereabouts you live in Melbourne, but if it is near the bay, make doubly sure that your garage is not susceptibe to strong winds from the bay. My worst enemy was a garbage truck that collected the garbage each morning a few minutes before I drove to work. It dripped very corrosive liquid onto the road, and I was running over this stuff every morning.
Once the underbody is corrosion proofed, and if you have the cash, it wouldn't hurt to have a layer of clear enamel baked onto the paintwork of your car so that the car never needs to be polished and the paint will not detriorate or scratch when washed. You can also go crazy and Nickle plate the chrome.
I really don't understand why you chose an HQ, but as my brother used to say, different strokes for different folks. I would have chosen the FC, but that's me. A panel beater told me they (FC's) were made from Swedish steel. Anyway, from the TLC that you are giving this car, it must look great, so how about a pic so that we can all drool over it?
And if the weather in melbourne doesn't suit you to take your car out on any day, be patient - wait half an hour.
Old 4 May 2001, 06:46 (Ref:88687)   #7
Diabando
Veteran

Australia
Victoria, Australia
Diabando should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDiabando should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
VB! Where to start!!

Erm, when I said the car was taken back to bare metal, I didnt mean I left it that way!!! I just wanted people to understand that the car didnt just get a "re-spray"...for the past 9 years, the car has been Ford Midnight Blue and a clear enamel (baked). (even I have to admit, that Holden blue sucks)

The only place I have noticed rust coming back is along the passenger side roof gutter, and that will be fixed when I get the body refreshed.

I live in the country, so the sea is not a problem! (If I lived near the sea, I wouldnt bother buying a good car).

Everyone else - thanks for your advice, it has all been noted! The raditor coolant is a great idea, and you have all helped clear the panic from my mind!!

Anyway - pictures are on the way - I will scan them tonight, and load them in the morning
Old 4 May 2001, 09:23 (Ref:88751)   #8
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
VB! Where to start!!

Erm, when I said the car was taken back to bare metal, I didnt mean I left it that way!!! I just wanted people to understand that the car didnt just get a "re-spray"...for the past 9 years, the car has been Ford Midnight Blue and a clear enamel (baked). (even I have to admit, that Holden blue sucks)

The only place I have noticed rust coming back is along the passenger side roof gutter, and that will be fixed when I get the body refreshed.

Anyway - pictures are on the way - I will scan them tonight, and load them in the morning
OK, I just meant that if you took it to bare metal, you would have used the latest undercoats that would prevent corrosion. As for the roof gutter that has corrosion, sand it down right away, get rid of all the rust, and repaint it with undercoat, paint, etc. Because the rest of the body has been rust proofed (I hope), the corrosion would be concentrated to the roof gutter and will be very vigorous. Stop it tonight, immediately.

Now!! I await th pic with interest.
Old 4 May 2001, 12:03 (Ref:88821)   #9
mtpanorama
Veteran

Australia
Bathurst (best racetrack in the world)
mtpanorama should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dia,
At the backof my work we have a guy who has a shed full of old holdens from the FJ thru to the HR. He has them up on jack stands, but not high enought that the suspension sags, he disconects the battery,leaves the window down just a crack, so it doesnt get that musty smell inside and covers them with a soft flanelette sheet. He comes and starts them once a month and takes them for a drive long enough to get them up to running temperature. He just then does the regular things like oil changes ,filters , water etc. He has had some of these cars for over 20years and they still start straight away with out any trouble.

I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't looking good, either
Old 4 May 2001, 19:29 (Ref:88974)   #10
SL
Veteran

SL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
By no means am I an expert but I recall seeing something about storeing cars some time ago.

A couple of things that stuck in my mind were the lifting the wheels just clear of the ground to ease pressure on the suspension and avoid any detioration of the rubber in the tyres.
Another was filling the cylinders with oil to prevent the bores rusting and pistons sticking.
It might also be worth a lining of vaseline around the rubber window surrounds and greasing things like door locks, bonnet catch & boot lid.

Mind you these were aimed at avoiding the best of the UK weather and might not apply down under.

Simon
Old 4 May 2001, 19:52 (Ref:88986)   #11
Ray Bell
Veteran

Some of these points are worthwhile if the car's going to be stored for a long time without being driver, over six months or so, for instance. Even then, while taking the weight off the tyres is a good idea, the suspension suffers little for bearing the car's weight.

As far as oil in the bores goes, that's really long term stuff, and probably only necessary for an engine that's unprotected from weather (no air cleaner for instance).

One point to be remembered in really long-term storage of cars (or parts) is to remove the oil from rear axles and gearboxes.

Why?

Because the oil will prevent any water forming in there from being evaporated, and the water level will naturally rise. Condensation in the air that will enter and leave via the little breater will settle in the housing. Being heavier than oil, it will sink to the bottom. Building up over a long time, it will get into bearings and cause damage...
Old 6 May 2001, 04:20 (Ref:89550)   #12
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Quote:

Hey Diabando, where's the pic??
BTW, I forgot to ask you, what engine have you got? I remember that model Holden had an option of a small V8 as well as a larger V8.
Also, what made you go for the HQ?
Old 6 May 2001, 23:01 (Ref:89785)   #13
Diabando
Veteran

Australia
Victoria, Australia
Sorry! We have just moved, and there is a small problem with the fact that the scanner is in a box, somewhere.... *twilight zone music*

Alas! Kieron has a scanner at work, so they will be going in there tomorrow to be done

VB - It is an original red 308, mildly worked.

Why did I choose the HQ? Well, at that stage, I wanted to race it. After dabbling in Sports Sedans, and given my brother was likely to keep the Cooper S, I needed to find my own car. I had been watching the HQ racing and REALLY wanted to have a go! After we had done about 50% of the car, finances demanded I make a choice between horses or motorsport, and the horses won.
Old 7 May 2001, 09:13 (Ref:89851)   #14
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
I speak from bitter experience - leave the horses alone. The only way to make money following horses is with a shovel and a wheelbarrow.
Now, I want to see the pic!!
Old 8 May 2001, 01:45 (Ref:90067)   #15
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
On the subject of storing cars, I looking at parking mine for about 2 months. I was just going to throw a car cover on it. Will I need to do more for such a little time. I may drive it occasionally on weekends, but just in case I dont, what should I do?

Oh and Diabando, you should have gone racing
Old 8 May 2001, 02:38 (Ref:90078)   #16
Diabando
Veteran

Australia
Victoria, Australia
FINALLY!!

Okee - here they are!!!

This first one was taken when it had just come out of the panel shop, some nine years ago...
Attached Thumbnails
hqsml.jpg  
Old 8 May 2001, 02:40 (Ref:90079)   #17
Diabando
Veteran

Australia
Victoria, Australia
And this one was taken about a month ago, up at the HORSES
Attached Thumbnails
hq1sml.jpg  
Old 8 May 2001, 04:26 (Ref:90084)   #18
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
It's a beauty. Make sure you have installed an immobiliser and a good locking system. If anyone wanted to steal a car, they'd pick yours first go.
Old 8 May 2001, 23:00 (Ref:90543)   #19
Diabando
Veteran

Australia
Victoria, Australia
Thanks VB! No, I dont have an immobiliser, nor an alarm, nor any commercial anti-theft device, not even a club lock.

I dont trust any of them 100%

So, my Father, who is an engineer, designed a pneumatic lock system specifically for the car, powered by a small compressor in the boot.

How does it work? My lips are sealed! What I will say, is that nobody (and I mean nobody) can steal it.

Old 8 May 2001, 23:15 (Ref:90548)   #20
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Cool!! Maybe your Dad can put this on the market. Think of the money he can make. Think of the Ferrari you can buy!!
Old 11 May 2001, 14:40 (Ref:91239)   #21
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
OOOOHHHHH...a twin headlight job ..you know thats worth 2 seconds a lap around bathurst

its a pearler Diabando..somehow i got the image of a red one though in my head..but black is lurvley.

you have mentioned this security thing before and from what i can remember its a very good idea..

as i said in an earlier post ..thank you for keeping part of our motoring heritage in such good condition and i wish you well with your plans
Old 13 May 2001, 00:26 (Ref:91654)   #22
smiffy43
Rookie

smiffy43 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: How to store a car!?

Quote:
Finally, I have reached the point where I am going to take my beautiful HQ Holden off the road, and into storage. It will only be driven once in a blue moon, on a nice weekend, or some such day.

So - what to do?? I need some help! What maintenance is required? What is the best way to store the car? etc etc.

I have recently had a metro 6r4 in storage at the moment and i have done for about a year, make sure you start it up and leave it tick over for about 15 minutes every two weeks or so,or youll b having ceased pistons ect,big pricy jobs other wise.Make sure the car has an oil change before storage and it would be best to preserve the underside of the vehicle in under body sealant to prevent any moisture in the area surrounding damaging the chassis ect.
it would be best to remove all of the wheels and leave the car on axle stands to stop tyres from cracking.all cv boots should be really coated in duck oil or a similar product to prevent cracking.with the battery it would be best to put on a float charge that keeps the battery topped up constantly.I presume by the name of the car its an old one therefore it's an overhead valve or pushrod engine,because i have known cam belst to crack and wear in storage, therefore causing major mechanical malfunction when it snaps.make sure all drain holes in panels are clear of blockages or youll have alot of rust to treat when u come to use i t again.Keep obvious things like locks hinges and catches well lubricated and if you stick to that you should be safe and not sorry.

Hope this was a help

Steve (mechanic)
Old 28 May 2001, 03:47 (Ref:97598)   #23
Langers
Veteran

Langers should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm guessing fuel might go off as well. Why not just buy a car storage tent (the kind advertised in classic and Sports car)
Old 28 May 2001, 18:03 (Ref:97925)   #24
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!

store it with a car storage firm. they should look after it very well, and if they're nice, they'll give it back to you when you want to drive it, and then take it back, and put it back to bed.

if you were in england, i'd say give autostore a ring, but you're not, so my family company will have to go unpromoted...
Old 28 May 2001, 22:56 (Ref:98077)   #25
Diabando
Veteran

Australia
Victoria, Australia

Car storage tent???

I have never heard of those before! Anyone got more information on these, and how they work??