Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 14 Nov 2010, 21:29 (Ref:2790598)   #51
foreversideways
Veteran

England
Bramhall
foreversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridforeversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
Think that's a harsh statement chap.

The quickest driver won, I think, and hats off to him. However let's remember it was a season where all the contenders made several errors that cost them all so it seemed that it was a case of last man standing!

Webber's challenge didn't peter out as such but he blew it in Korea plain and simple but maybe even he was in contention by default, as were Alonso and Hamilton?

Reason being that Vettel got 10 poles which is a huge amount for one driver at such a competitive time in F1. If he hadn't ballses up a few times he'd have won it long ago, but I think it's right that the fastest driver won it overall.
I think you are actually agreeing with me but putting it in a different way. Webber in my view proved to have a little less Aussi grit than he would like us to believe.
Old 14 Nov 2010, 21:36 (Ref:2790605)   #52
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by foreversideways View Post
I think you are actually agreeing with me but putting it in a different way. Webber in my view proved to have a little less Aussi grit than he would like us to believe.
Ah yes, when you put it like that I agree entirely! Webber had his best ever season as a race driver, but maybe couldn't handle things as he said he was capable of....

However we can't deny that he pushed Seb sooo hard (maybe the other top drivers couldnt have done any more either?) and I suspect he feels totally gutted about Korea (and Turkey!) Seb would have to admit Webbo pushed him to dig deeper and find more skill and time in the car that even Seb may not have realised he had!!

Question is, slightly ot now, can Mark regroup and go again in 2011? If the team continues its current policy, he might well do.
Old 14 Nov 2010, 22:00 (Ref:2790630)   #53
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
Question is, slightly ot now, can Mark regroup and go again in 2011? If the team continues its current policy, he might well do.
I think, subconsciously, Mark is now, without doubt number 2 driver at Red Bull, in his mind as well as the teams. I don't think he can regroup enough to have another go. Next years title will be between Seb, Fernando and Lewis, with Jenson 4th.
Old 14 Nov 2010, 23:28 (Ref:2790701)   #54
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve nielsen View Post
Well done Renault: they helped their engines win the championship
How would you know that? They werent mentioned in the press conference
Old 15 Nov 2010, 02:22 (Ref:2790782)   #55
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well done to Vettel, a deserved champion, he has produced some excellent results and showed the ability to find tenths when needed despite some mistakes (but as above, who didn't make mistakes) and mech failures.
Old 15 Nov 2010, 07:19 (Ref:2790838)   #56
dsg
Veteran

Thailand
Chonburi
dsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V View Post
I think, subconsciously, Mark is now, without doubt number 2 driver at Red Bull, in his mind as well as the teams. I don't think he can regroup enough to have another go. Next years title will be between Seb, Fernando and Lewis, with Jenson 4th.
I think the No1 and 2 drivers in Red Bull, McLaren and Ferrari are all pretty clear now.
Old 15 Nov 2010, 09:08 (Ref:2790867)   #57
Grandpa_Rob
Racer

Australia
Oz
Grandpa_Rob should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The kid did it...nice work Mr Vettel WDC.2010
Old 15 Nov 2010, 09:08 (Ref:2790868)   #58
Gaz170
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast, QLD
Gaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Disappointed Mark didn't win it, but in the end it was his own mistakes that cost him. Well done Seb, it's good that it was decided on the track and not by an officials or team managers call.
Old 15 Nov 2010, 09:58 (Ref:2790889)   #59
Hesketh
Racer

Hesketh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bravo Sebastian!!
Old 15 Nov 2010, 09:59 (Ref:2790890)   #60
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BootsOntheSide View Post
He had his team behind him even when he didn't rationally look like their best hope for the title, but he's endured a succession of mechanical failures, he's more likeable than Alonso and hasn't made anywhere near as many crucial mistakes as Lewis. And he's the youngest ever world champion, and rewards what must be the biggest investment a single company has ever made in motorsport, across so many levels in both cars and bikes. I've never quite warmed to him on a personal level, but it's hard to doubt his ability, and his very human response to such an unexpected title win was somehow endearing.
Agreed.

And 5 world champions on the grid next season...if they all have competitive cars we could be in for a real treat.
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 15 Nov 2010, 10:02 (Ref:2790893)   #61
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralf's Girl View Post
Agreed.

And 5 world champions on the grid next season...if they all have competitive cars we could be in for a real treat.
Can we have his index fingers amputated though?
Old 15 Nov 2010, 10:27 (Ref:2790908)   #62
stripedcat
Veteran

stripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridstripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well done to Vettel. Okay he made a mistake at Turkey, but from the second half of the season onwards he has been the strongest driver. A deserving champion.
Old 15 Nov 2010, 10:32 (Ref:2790911)   #63
old man
Veteran

England
UK
old man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well done Seb and Red Bull, a close run thing that had us all enthralled right to the end, 4 drivers from 3 teams with less than points from 1 win between them at the end of a 19 race series, quite the best season ever IMO.

Also congrats to the BBC for giving us brilliant programmes.
Old 15 Nov 2010, 10:58 (Ref:2790936)   #64
phoenix
Veteran

European Union
phoenix should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridphoenix should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by stripedcat View Post
Well done to Vettel. Okay he made a mistake at Turkey, but from the second half of the season onwards he has been the strongest driver. A deserving champion.
And at Spa, don't forget...
Old 15 Nov 2010, 11:05 (Ref:2790937)   #65
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by old man View Post
I agree fully.

This is a golden age of F1 coverage.
Old 15 Nov 2010, 11:06 (Ref:2790939)   #66
wolf sun
Racer

Germany
Frankfurt-sur-le-Main
wolf sun should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Didn't care much about EffOne lately, and haven't cared about German drivers ever since all that unbearable hype around The Chinned One" started...was hoping that Hamilton would land a surprise!

Congrats to Sebastian though, well done in the end - and he's from Hesse, too!
(And Peter Mallett's right, lose that irritating gesture...)
Old 15 Nov 2010, 15:42 (Ref:2791094)   #67
wheelie
Rookie

wheelie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r View Post
Over the course of the year I think he deserved it. Gets a point deducted for having such a girly voiced in-car celebration though!
Haha,i thought the same but that makes him even more adorable.Congrats lil Miss Vettel
Old 15 Nov 2010, 16:13 (Ref:2791121)   #68
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
massive congrats to Vettel. nothing more to add than what has already been said except to say im scared to see how much stronger of a challenge he will put forward next year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by old man View Post
yeah, they have done an amazing job all season and i have even grown to appreciate Eddie and his seemingly lack of timing and regard for awkward moments.

one of the highlights was when they were asking Vettel's dad some questions. he clearly did not speak alot of english but that didn't stop Eddie for launching into the longest question ever asked.
Old 15 Nov 2010, 17:08 (Ref:2791148)   #69
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Can we have his index fingers amputated though?
Thet's probably against some rule somewhere Peter, but I know what you mean. Maybe a compromise solution will be to make him race (and certainly qualify) wearing mittens! (With a ribbon on that goes up his sleeves and accross his shoulders so he can't lose them, or take them off at the end!)
Old 16 Nov 2010, 03:45 (Ref:2791426)   #70
SSbaby
Veteran

Australia
SSbaby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A class above the rest, IMHO. He has nerves of steel despite his young years.

It would have been an awe inspiring ch/ship win if he had reliability on his side... the championship would have been 'almost' over at around the half way mark, such would have been the scoreboard pressure.
Old 16 Nov 2010, 11:00 (Ref:2791534)   #71
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
One just have to be impressed with that young driver, he showed he has what it takes to get more WDCs.
Old 16 Nov 2010, 13:18 (Ref:2791579)   #72
AndyS
Veteran

England
N Yorks
AndyS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well done to the lad, looked like he'd lost his head mid season but did a fantastic job for one so young to get it back together and finish in style.
Old 16 Nov 2010, 21:49 (Ref:2791846)   #73
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
Well done to the lad, looked like he'd lost his head mid season but did a fantastic job for one so young to get it back together and finish in style.
He is very young and I think one's got to remember that, when looking back at the mistakes he made this season.
Old 17 Nov 2010, 10:40 (Ref:2792030)   #74
Grandpa_Rob
Racer

Australia
Oz
Grandpa_Rob should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
He is very young and I think one's got to remember that, when looking back at the mistakes he made this season.
Alonso,Hamilton and Webber and their teams all made mistakes this season that probably cost them a WDC. Human error is no stranger to F1 but it just seemed that a lot of mistakes occurred this season, but it really has been a fantastic season with a great conclusion, hope it's as close next year.
Old 17 Nov 2010, 11:07 (Ref:2792042)   #75
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The mistakes occurred because it was tough at the top. It's not like the Schumacher years where he was pleased with his "one mistake a year", because he had enough pace in the car that he didn't need to push quite as hard.