Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Closed Thread

Old 3 Apr 2011, 10:14 (Ref:2857741)   #101
smokin'joe
Veteran

smokin'joe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So, Mr Petch, with this fantastic new class of YOURS, will their be a claimer rule for the engines? or will there just be a special batch for YOUR team
Old 11 Apr 2011, 09:10 (Ref:2861744)   #102
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
15 of 16 Sold!

Pretty good work on the back of what would be a serious financial commitment for teams to buy these new cars.

These guys are testing next week arent they?
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 11 Apr 2011, 09:42 (Ref:2861760)   #103
ForumNick
Veteran

Australia
ForumNick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Are they racing with the 5 studs, or Centrelocks?
Old 11 Apr 2011, 09:58 (Ref:2861772)   #104
DJJ
Racer

DJJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
5 studs.
Old 11 Apr 2011, 14:46 (Ref:2861932)   #105
KLR93
Rookie

New Zealand
Whangarei
KLR93 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Looking good!

Wonder if we can get in on testing... i wanna hear these new engines!!
Old 11 Apr 2011, 20:04 (Ref:2862095)   #106
Biggy G
Veteran

Biggy G should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Over on the V8 Racer Forum there are a whole heap of up close and personal photos of the new Supertourer, I know where are porbably not meant to link to another motorsport forum, but no way am I reposting the amount of pics that are over there...

[edit]sorry, you're not - specifically forbidden in the rules. Appreciate the sentiment, though[/edit]

Last edited by Woolley; 12 Apr 2011 at 23:08.
Old 12 Apr 2011, 05:31 (Ref:2862217)   #107
NZSTfan
Veteran

New Zealand
car heaven
NZSTfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
All i can say is PHHOOOAAARRR!!!

Mark Petch and co have certainly over delivered here, these things just look the ducks nuts!

And great to hear that 15/16 have already sold and that the 16th one is just a few days away from sign-off.

Suggest you take a look at the V8 racer forum for a full set of piccies

(i particularly like the one of Johnny Mac in the drivers seat looking like the cat that got the cream)

Really well presented and put-together cars - no cheap cost cutting measures here - makes you wonder why a V8SC is so expensive!!

Its go go go
Old 12 Apr 2011, 06:31 (Ref:2862224)   #108
E36ST
Racer

New Zealand
NZ
E36ST should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NZSTfan View Post

Mark Petch and co have certainly over delivered here, these things just look the ducks nuts!

And great to hear that 15/16 have already sold and that the 16th one is just a few days away from sign-off.

(i particularly like the one of Johnny Mac in the drivers seat looking like the cat that got the cream)

Really well presented and put-together cars - no cheap cost cutting measures here - makes you wonder why a V8SC is so expensive!!

Its go go go
Your recent arrival on this forum and sudden & overwhelming support for this new class does make me wonder whether you have a barrow to push, so to speak?

Anyhow, why would they limit the field to just 16 cars? Seems quite low, with bigger fields in many classes at club day and classic events.
Old 12 Apr 2011, 08:26 (Ref:2862253)   #109
DJJ
Racer

DJJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by E36ST View Post
Your recent arrival on this forum and sudden & overwhelming support for this new class does make me wonder whether you have a barrow to push, so to speak?

Anyhow, why would they limit the field to just 16 cars? Seems quite low, with bigger fields in many classes at club day and classic events.
16 is the amount of cars that could be built in time after orders recieved etc before the start of the series.
Old 12 Apr 2011, 08:50 (Ref:2862260)   #110
Biggy G
Veteran

Biggy G should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Correct DJJ, because of time restraints only 16 cars can be assembled and run in before the series gets underway. 24 will be the max field size, which is a great field size for the tracks of NZ.
Old 12 Apr 2011, 09:40 (Ref:2862295)   #111
ForumNick
Veteran

Australia
So.... no 'bar' adjustment ??

Old 12 Apr 2011, 10:04 (Ref:2862307)   #112
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
promax has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
haha you'll have to ask Petch about his views on adjustable bars don't think he's a big fan
Old 12 Apr 2011, 10:07 (Ref:2862310)   #113
ForumNick
Veteran

Australia
Apparently FPR are 50:50 on the issue
Old 12 Apr 2011, 21:47 (Ref:2862646)   #114
brown dog
Racer

brown dog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbrown dog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by E36ST View Post

I have thought the same E36ST, looks like MP posting under another name.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZSTfan View Post

Its go go go
No cheap cost cutting measures then? What about the mighty "Link" engine management system and that dash/datalogger that looks like rather a "budget" piece? Why not spend a couple of grand more and kit it out with Motec gear, which is the industry standard down under?
Plenty of other parts that suggest these cars were built down to a price, which is understandable I guess. A very "basic" car compared to a V8SC, and will be interesting to see how well that engine, which is a road car mill from what I understand, survives under the heat of racing.

Last edited by brown dog; 12 Apr 2011 at 21:58.
Old 12 Apr 2011, 23:28 (Ref:2862686)   #115
Southern Man
Veteran

New Zealand
Southern Man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They look to be an interesting car but one can not help but wonder who controls and/or supplies all the control parts. Is it the Supertourers register, is it a number of companies and/or individuals or is it a single company and/or individual?
Old 12 Apr 2011, 23:29 (Ref:2862688)   #116
MarioNZ
Rookie

New Zealand-Maori
MarioNZ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The car looks OUTSTANDING!
From what you can see (versus a V8SC or SC CotF) this class appears to be all about cost cutting/containment whilst still producing a high quality, 'proper' race car?
Mr Dog, what's wrong with a Link engine management system? Not that I have experience or expertise in this field but Link appears to be being used succesfully across a broad range of applications and the fact that it's NZ made I would think would be a real plus for this car, the more local content the better as far as I'm concerned. Can't comment on the data dash thingy, they all look the same to me - wouldn't this be something that teams fitted to their preference?
Re the engine - a quick online check suggests that the engine was specifically built as a 'production race engine' developed for the Corvette Le Mans program, hand built, titanium rods and valve train, cnc heads, dry sumped - doesn't sound very road car? They appear to be a very proven motor but time (on track) will tell. Got to be better than the pre-historic boat anchors in the NZV8's.

The construction looks quite 'sparse' any word on weight?
Old 12 Apr 2011, 23:55 (Ref:2862692)   #117
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
promax has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
there are plenty of pre-historic boat anchors in GT1 and Central Muscle Cars that do the business

bet you won't find anyone complaining about Brennan or JR's pre-historic boat anchors at the 400 in Hamilton on the weekend. Brennan's Vette sounds way better than any V8 Supercar
Old 13 Apr 2011, 00:31 (Ref:2862699)   #118
MarioNZ
Rookie

New Zealand-Maori
MarioNZ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by promax View Post
there are plenty of pre-historic boat anchors in GT1 and Central Muscle Cars that do the business

bet you won't find anyone complaining about Brennan or JR's pre-historic boat anchors at the 400 in Hamilton on the weekend. Brennan's Vette sounds way better than any V8 Supercar
I wouldn't describe those engines as boat anchors, how many were built from scrap yard rust balls ala NZV8 donks? (well the Holdens at least, the Fords use new blocks dont they?).

And no you wouldn't hear many complaints about the performance of those GT1 engines....but you will about the cost!! Some 6 figure engines hitting the road in that class. It would appear that I can with the click of a button and entering 16 magic numbers I can have one of these LS7 things delivered straight to me for US$13,652 (plus freight of course) about 40% of the cost of a current NZV8 motor.....
Old 13 Apr 2011, 01:29 (Ref:2862711)   #119
brown dog
Racer

brown dog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbrown dog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Man View Post
They look to be an interesting car but one can not help but wonder who controls and/or supplies all the control parts. Is it the Supertourers register, is it a number of companies and/or individuals or is it a single company and/or individual?
My understanding is that the spec. is all determined by NZ V8 Supertourers, who I believe consist of Mark Petch, Wayne Anderson and Gary Pederson? (someone correct me if I am wrong there?) To me this makes sense, you cannot design anything by committee, it just does not work. Better to be told "this is what you are running" and make your own mind up whether or not to be part of it. I am sure Mr Petch and associates will have a view to making a dollar out of this venture, but why shouldn't they?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarioNZ View Post
The car looks OUTSTANDING!
From what you can see (versus a V8SC or SC CotF) this class appears to be all about cost cutting/containment whilst still producing a high quality, 'proper' race car?
Mr Dog, what's wrong with a Link engine management system? Not that I have experience or expertise in this field but Link appears to be being used succesfully across a broad range of applications and the fact that it's NZ made I would think would be a real plus for this car, the more local content the better as far as I'm concerned. Can't comment on the data dash thingy, they all look the same to me - wouldn't this be something that teams fitted to their preference?
Re the engine - a quick online check suggests that the engine was specifically built as a 'production race engine' developed for the Corvette Le Mans program, hand built, titanium rods and valve train, cnc heads, dry sumped - doesn't sound very road car? They appear to be a very proven motor but time (on track) will tell. Got to be better than the pre-historic boat anchors in the NZV8's.

The construction looks quite 'sparse' any word on weight?

I think you summed it up in your first sentence, it does look about cost cutting/containment, while producing a proper race car (although we probably have different opinions on what a proper race car is, but that is not important)

The Link is a very basic system, and although they have improved their product over the years they are still aimed at the more "budget conscious" end of the market. Motec is dearer, but without getting into technical details you get what you pay for. The reason I think a Motec would have been better is that most of the engineers in NZ and Aus are familiar with Motec datalogging software, and for any driver or engineer who competes in both series data can be compared more easily, and without having to learn the idiosyncracies of a new system. But as I said, you can't design by committee, and that is the choice they have made for whatever reason, so that is what everyone gets.

The prototype car is obviously not finished yet, looks to me like a set of headers as well as exhaust yet to be made, plus some other detail parts to be finished.I am not sure how a Ford dealer or Ford NZ would feel about supporting a Falcon Silhouette with a GM engine either?

But all that said, if they can deliver a finished "kit" to the competiors for close to the $185K (less engine) then I think it is very good value for a new, (albeit rather low-tech) race car.

Maybe Mark will chime in and give some opinion/feedback to this discussion? I am sure he has been reading this.

Conrad

Last edited by brown dog; 13 Apr 2011 at 01:42.
Old 13 Apr 2011, 01:32 (Ref:2862712)   #120
BackSeat Driver
Racer

BackSeat Driver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Man View Post
I have heard (just a rumour, happy to be confirmed or shot down in flames) that Mark Petch's son (name escapes me) is in the processes of aquirirng the NZ franchises for many of the controlled parts.

Like I state...happy to be corrected.
Old 13 Apr 2011, 01:45 (Ref:2862715)   #121
brown dog
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackSeat Driver View Post
I have heard (just a rumour, happy to be confirmed or shot down in flames) that Mark Petch's son (name escapes me) is in the processes of aquirirng the NZ franchises for many of the controlled parts.

Like I state...happy to be corrected.
Do you mean Chris? And by acquiring the franchises, do you mean putting them out for tender?
Old 13 Apr 2011, 01:51 (Ref:2862716)   #122
BackSeat Driver
Racer

BackSeat Driver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by brown dog View Post
Do you mean Chris? And by acquiring the franchises, do you mean putting them out for tender?
Thats the name . From what I heard he is becomming the NZ agent/distributor for the actual items in particular. I.E. if you want the engine, it comes thru him, if you need the wheels, they come thru him, if you need a new split pin for the pedal box it has to come from him, if you need technical data for the shocks . . . . .
Old 13 Apr 2011, 01:58 (Ref:2862718)   #123
brown dog
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackSeat Driver View Post
Thats the name . From what I heard he is becomming the NZ agent/distributor for the actual items in particular. I.E. if you want the engine, it comes thru him, if you need the wheels, they come thru him, if you need a new split pin for the pedal box it has to come from him, if you need technical data for the shocks . . . . .
Like a one stop shop? No surprises there really. As long as they are sensible in their pricing I suppose. Nothing like belonging to a series and getting raped everytime you need to buy something because it is all "control parts" Will be interesting to see how their parts prices compare. By buying in bulk they should be able to negotiate a decent discount, and hopefully will pass some of this on to the competitors.
Old 13 Apr 2011, 02:20 (Ref:2862719)   #124
NZSTfan
Veteran

New Zealand
car heaven
NZSTfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

[QUOTE=brown dog;2862646]I have thought the same E36ST, looks like MP posting under another name.

Hahahaha....no barrow pushing here thankyou very much. I am new to motorsport and was hooked on V8SC from the 2007 Hamilton 400.

I find those comments a bit bung to be honest and if you think i am Mark or someone else posting under a different name then you can go get stuffed quite frankly.

The reason i joined this forum was to be part of a positive Msport community that backed innovation and that is exactly what Mark and the crews have done...its innovative, future proofed, and quite awesome really.

Why do you think that Mark Petch would want to post under a different name...do you think he has nothing better to do.....get a grip!!

And i'll geuss i'll see all of the 'real' fans (rather than negative idiots) at the opener next year which will be fantastic, 16 cars on the grid and nearly 9000 BHP into turn 1 - you beauty
Old 13 Apr 2011, 02:20 (Ref:2862720)   #125
KLR93
Rookie

New Zealand
Whangarei
KLR93 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Shouldnt be any data logging if you ask me... go back to racing without computers!!
Closed Thread