Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racers Forum

Old 19 Mar 2012, 13:00 (Ref:3044617)   #26
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtype38 View Post
MSC might have been, but I'm pretty sure JB was visualising corners....

It obviously helped then.
Old 20 Mar 2012, 03:52 (Ref:3045085)   #27
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Something I have learned during the years of instructing drivers, is just how important the mental side of it is. If you don't believe you end up creating your own reality. So much so that with some drivers the mental makeup is so poor, going into any length on technical driving skills is near pointless until you get their head and all their senses into the game. I even had one guy tell me he hated corners and so much so that I had him saying "I like corners, I like corners, I like corners" all the way around the track. By programming his brain with positive thoughts, his body followed and he ended up doing well and having a great attitude. I spent 4 days with him and by the end he was very grateful and said I had changed his life because he saw what a huge difference in results it made by programming his brain how to think and act in a positive manner to get results.

I am a big believer in practice, perfecting your practice and repetition. I have found time and improved my driving just by visualization, driving the track over and over in my mind and thinking through everything I do. Lately I also GoPro video a lot of stuff and watch it as well, whether I am driving or coaching. I'll watch it and look at what I do right and what I can do better.

I used to do the same thing when I shot in competition. I would practice my stance, breath control, trigger control, sight picture and so on, over and over again as well as training my mind at the same time to think success and nailing the target dead center. Now I am getting into competitive pistol shooting, I'll practice the same principles as well as my drawstroke from the holster and I'll have others watch and coach me as well.

So what I would start with is just a basic repetition of positive thoughts in your mind that you can do well and you will do well and constantly reinforce that mindset and do not allow negative thoughts to enter the mind, especially when on track.
Old 20 Mar 2012, 08:41 (Ref:3045147)   #28
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!
One has to wonder what someone who doesn't like corners is doing on a racing circuit.... a former drag car driver? Be that as it may, you did a good job with him Ms and yes a good mental attitude coupled with an objective view of ones own skills and abilities goes a long way.

Positive thinking - aka the school of Russ Bohaty!
Old 20 Mar 2012, 17:10 (Ref:3045465)   #29
lovef1
Rookie

lovef1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
@mountainstar, I won't lie, I was and still am to an extent similar to the guy that hates corners (the guy you were talking about). However after I spent some time on the track alone, getting accustomed to the lines, braking points, the kart etc, I now do have some confidence, as my lap times are in line with the other drivers. However, when I am actually racing as in trying to overtake or defend my position, I have this fear in me that I just can't get rid of. It's probably due to the bad experiences I had where I failed to pull of the overtake or turned into the guy that I'm racing with. I usually don't trust the other drivers and that is why I'm a bit more mellow than I'd like to be. As always your advices are very much appreciated.
Old 20 Mar 2012, 17:56 (Ref:3045492)   #30
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!
Couple of thoughts:

First is about trying to overtake. When overtaking you've probably noticed that other drivers don't simply give you the racing line. You have to take it, preferably in a way that doesn't involve contact. There are a number of ways to do this, but generally it'll involve you leaving the racing line yourself at some point. So, when you go out practicing by youself, also practice "totally wrong" lines into and out of corners. Eg, try diving up the inside of the racing line into a corner (as if you were going to outbrake someone up the inside) and practice how late and hard you can brake and still get round the corner. Similarly try running round the outside edge of fast corners, or running very deep into a corner to straighten the exit more for better momentum on the following straight. All these things give you options, and also more confidence when you find yourself using a bit of tarmac you wouldn't normally visit. Similar sort of thing applies to defending a postion, particularly approaching corners on a narrower than ideal line to take away the inside line from the person behind.

The second is about trusting other drivers. I think you maybe have things a little back to front there. It sounds like you think other drivers should be trying to get out of your way when you make a move. That isn't generally going to happen unless you get such a bad reputation for accidents that they all avoid you like a moving accident waiting to happen. Not something I think you want. So you should be one trying to earn the trust of the other divers, not the other way round. And you do that by not trying overtaking moves beyond your skill and ability to pull off. As said before, mistakes will happen as you learn, but these should be the exception not the rule. If you practice your skills and drive within your ability, you'll get a reputation good driving, and you'll get more respect from the other drivers.

One of the best and most respected kart drivers I ever raced with had such amazing kart control that he rarely made a mistake and equally rarely touched anyone as he overtook them... but if anyone actually hit him they always, but always, came off worse.
Old 20 Mar 2012, 18:45 (Ref:3045516)   #31
barnettracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dorset
barnettracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
With regards to overtaking;

A lot of it will come with experience. To paraphrase Mario Andretti, 'You can't teach speed, but you can teach racecraft'. By this, I mean that your ability to overtake will develop with seat time. Watch what other racers do, where they overtake, how late they brake and then implement it yourself.

The most important thing to do when overtaking is be decisive. If you aren't decisive (and pull out of a move halfway through) you are more likely to have an accident, denting your confidence and potentially angering the person you crashed into. Once you've made up your mind that you are going to overtake, DO IT.

This doesn't necessarily mean that you overtake as soon as you catch a car/kart though. There are two approaches to take here; plan ahead or the element of surprise.

With the element of surprise you have to be opportunistic and decisive immediately. As soon as you catch the car in front try and use your increased momentum to get passed at the very next corner. This can be risky but if you are decisive you can surprise your opponent before they've had a proper time to look in their mirrors and defend.

Planning ahead works better if you are in a longer race or between the first lap and half distance in the race. Once you have caught a car/kart, follow them for a lap or two. See where they are faster and see where you are faster. Decide which corner you are going to overtake and on what lap and then (you've guessed it) BE DECISIVE. If you are going to adopt this approach, don't spend the time behind your opponent faking a move or trying to force them into a mistake. This will make them drive defensively and it will make your life much, much harder. Again, an element of surprise is needed.

Once you have got this down you can start getting creative. Overtaking in an unusual place is often a good move as people won't be expecting it (Graham Hill Bend at Brands Hatch can often be a good place for this). Or maybe try the outside line. This is much harder as you have to go the long way round and are at the risk of being forced off the track but it can be especially useful if the next corner places you on the inside line. It can also demoralise your opponent and, therefore, gives you a mental upper hand.

So:
- PLAN AHEAD
- USE SURPRISE
- BE DECISIVE

And ahead of all this, realise that this is supposed to be fun. Don't get stressed out, relax and enjoy your racing. When you are calm and thoughtful overtaking becomes a lot easier.
Old 25 Mar 2012, 12:24 (Ref:3047965)   #32
lovef1
Rookie

lovef1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
thanx for the advice guys....
Old 31 Mar 2012, 11:49 (Ref:3051234)   #33
formerf1champ
Veteran

Australia
Vettel's gearbox preparing bench
formerf1champ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I going to say, for a new guy or an amateur low on confidence, to build up their confidence. Instead of trying to be Nigel Mansell or worrying about winning, being competitive, your ourtight performance or what others think of you, just try to string a number races without crashing or incident (your fault or someone else's). Regardless of result, just keep finishing the race/s with a straight car. From there, the confidence will start to build, then you'll start to attack that little bit harder, then harder, then so on...