Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

View Poll Results: Next year I will (chose the closest most likely option)
Watch live on BBC or Sky depending which it is on. 36 32.73%
Watch only BBC live or delayed/highlights. 48 43.64%
Watch only BBC live (live or not bother). 16 14.55%
Not watch, it is over for me. 10 9.09%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 13 Dec 2011, 18:50 (Ref:2999294)   #1326
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by henners88 View Post
Are you both tabloid journalists by any chance? You appear to have tried to sensationalize my post by suggesting I would be forced to do something illegal. Nobody would have forced me to do any such thing and I did not say that. How you both interpreted that, I do not know. If I had not had the opportunity to watch it through a legit method then yes like many thousands of other fans across the UK I would have looked into ways of streaming it. Its only like foreign fans who either don't have coverage or prefer the British version so have streamed it for many years. I have no problem with that.

For two members who have evidently contributed alot here and been here a while, I think that was a poor attempt at trying to get a rise to be honest. I was under the impression Adam43 was a mod too. Hey ho.
Oh come on henners88, if I'm going to make a little joke then you need to have a better memory:
Quote:
You're right I won't like anything about it as the whole thing has left a sour taste in my mouth and I find it very difficult to get enthusiastic about something that is out of my reach financially. Its basically an advert promoting something I have had for the past 23 years and now I'll be forced to view illegally. Or perhaps not at all. If Sky used their heads and offered a freeview package to fans for £10 p/m I'm sure many would try it out, and I'd consider it. Sky need to realise that their deals are just out of reach by most and if they weren't, everybody would be a Sky viewer instead of only having 10% of the market.

If the BBC had a dedicated channel for F1 it would be great and would no doubt blow Sky out of the water, but the chances of that ever happening are slim. I think we'll be lucky to have any F1 coverage at all after 2013 with Sky getting every race and Channel 5 getting the highlights like they did with the cricket.
To use your tabloid highlighting technique on your post:
Quote:
... Its basically an advert promoting something I have had for the past 23 years and now I'll be forced to view illegally. ...
We had a long discussion about it starting here:
http://tentenths.com/forum/showthrea...90#post2993890

It's your phrase not mine

Quote:
I keep seeing that phrase used here, is it a 10 Tenths joke or something?
Or is it something a tabloid journalist would say. Or maybe a parody of someone who over-reacts like a tabloid journalist! Who knows?

Last edited by Adam43; 13 Dec 2011 at 18:56.
Old 13 Dec 2011, 19:05 (Ref:2999299)   #1327
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by @MBrundleF1
I'm pleased Ben Edwards @bennythebulb has got my old BBCF1 job. He will work well with DC. Nice guy too, see you at the GPs Ben
Old 13 Dec 2011, 19:11 (Ref:2999303)   #1328
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by jab View Post
Getting back on topic...

http://www.twitter.com/bennythebulb

Excellent news
Agreed, this is by far and away the best news to come out of the whole BBC/Sky deal. Since Murray hung up his mic, Ben is peerless when it comes to motorsports commentary. It's taken several years but the Beeb have finally made the right choice for the booth. I'm now really looking forward to the start of next season.

Congratations Ben !
Old 13 Dec 2011, 19:16 (Ref:2999306)   #1329
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Martin Haven would be ideal to do the BTCC, though I believe he is still contracted to Eurosport and therefore the WTCC.
Old 13 Dec 2011, 19:17 (Ref:2999307)   #1330
Thaw Daggerslash
Racer

Thaw Daggerslash should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oh hurray (!)

Think Ben might find the change difficult. Because you know, normally in BTCC races there's always something going on that suits his excitable style, yet in F1 more times than not there's nothing exciting happening at all.

On a more serious note, good luck to him in his new role. Just generally disappointed he won't be commentating on BTCC or GTs anymore. That sucks big time.
Old 13 Dec 2011, 19:56 (Ref:2999331)   #1331
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Are you both tabloid journalists by any chance? You appear to have tried to sensationalize my post by suggesting I would be forced to do something illegal..
Oh, i am sorry if i misinterpreted when i read this......

Quote:
Would you rather I streamed it illegally then? That was what I would have done had I not been able to use someone else's Sky login
I was wrong, forgive me, your right, you wouldn't have been forced to do it, by your own admission you would have done it willingly
Old 13 Dec 2011, 22:12 (Ref:2999422)   #1332
m1fcf
Veteran

United Kingdom
m1fcf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridm1fcf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaw Daggerslash View Post
yet in F1 more times than not there's nothing exciting happening at all.
that never seemed to bother Mr. Walker - he is able to make an exciting commentary out of watching the grass grow!! Ben is more than capable of achieving the same with F1...
Old 13 Dec 2011, 23:07 (Ref:2999457)   #1333
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
It's good to see Edwards get this promotion. It's good to see Kravitz get an expanded media program over at Sky. He had hit a cul de sac at the BBC at least in F1 broadcasting terms.
Old 13 Dec 2011, 23:19 (Ref:2999462)   #1334
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaw Daggerslash View Post
Think Ben might find the change difficult. Because you know, normally in BTCC races there's always something going on that suits his excitable style, yet in F1 more times than not there's nothing exciting happening at all.
He's done F1 before, you know, a couple of times. For Eurosport back in the mid-Ninieties with John Watson and again for Bernie's digital channel. He's done Champ Cars, A1GP and goodness knows what else. He'll be absolutely fine.

Since he confirmed it himself on Twitter earlier today the number of his followers has increased from around 5,500 to over 9,000 and the congratulations have been pouring in from what looks like a who's who of motor racing folk. As Ben himself said, thanks to ITV for releasing him from his existing commitment to them.
Old 14 Dec 2011, 08:35 (Ref:2999576)   #1335
henners88
Veteran

Wales
henners88 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V View Post
I was wrong, forgive me, your right, you wouldn't have been forced to do it, by your own admission you would have done it willingly.
My point exactly, thank you for acknowledging it at least..
Old 14 Dec 2011, 08:38 (Ref:2999578)   #1336
henners88
Veteran

Wales
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider View Post
He's done F1 before, you know, a couple of times. For Eurosport back in the mid-Ninieties with John Watson and again for Bernie's digital channel. He's done Champ Cars, A1GP and goodness knows what else. He'll be absolutely fine.

Since he confirmed it himself on Twitter earlier today the number of his followers has increased from around 5,500 to over 9,000 and the congratulations have been pouring in from what looks like a who's who of motor racing folk. As Ben himself said, thanks to ITV for releasing him from his existing commitment to them.
I'm pretty chuffed he's onboard with the BBC, and think he now adds to an already strong team. I'm sure he'll be a bit rusty to begin with after many years away from commentating on F1, but the 90's era with Watson were some of the best to listen to. A good choice IMO.
Old 14 Dec 2011, 16:45 (Ref:2999743)   #1337
Mr V
Veteran

England
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
My point exactly, thank you for acknowledging it at least..
Confused, but lets agree to draw a line under the subject????

Quote:
I'm pretty chuffed he's onboard with the BBC, and think he now adds to an already strong team. I'm sure he'll be a bit rusty to begin with after many years away from commentating on F1, but the 90's era with Watson were some of the best to listen to. A good choice IMO.
Ben is a great addition to the Beeb, thank heavens they didn't take Watson too though!!
Old 14 Dec 2011, 17:26 (Ref:2999774)   #1338
henners88
Veteran

Wales
Quote:
Confused, but lets agree to draw a line under the subject????
Sorry just to clarify, nobody would have forced me to do anything and yes I would have done it willingly which is what I have said previously. I thought you were agreeing with me and yes lets draw a line under it.
Old 14 Dec 2011, 18:45 (Ref:2999821)   #1339
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Well can I say the last thing before we agree to draw a line under it?!

This is a joke, but demonstrates a point.

So, sky and F1...
Old 14 Dec 2011, 18:47 (Ref:2999824)   #1340
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
Ben is a great addition to the Beeb, thank heavens they didn't take Watson too though!!
I was never keen on Sonic's commentating skills, either.

Do you think beeb will let Ben do a four hour season summary like he did on Eurosport in 1996!?
Old 14 Dec 2011, 19:00 (Ref:2999830)   #1341
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Well, thank heavens for SKY-GO. Now all that you BBC F1 refugees have to do is just be nice to someone who has Sky (2 refugees to one Sky customer is permitted, so someone might want to PM henners88). And don't worry, Mr Murdoch says it's all OK, but read the small print first because we all know that he's only after your soul/first born.
Old 14 Dec 2011, 19:03 (Ref:2999832)   #1342
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post

Do you think beeb will let Ben do a four hour season summary like he did on Eurosport in 1996!?
It'll be on BBC3 at 2 in the morning. Sky may do a better job.
Old 14 Dec 2011, 19:55 (Ref:2999874)   #1343
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
That would be alright, I've got sky+.
Eurosport repeated the 1996 marathon on Christmas day too!
Old 14 Dec 2011, 20:04 (Ref:2999880)   #1344
henners88
Veteran

Wales
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
Now all that you BBC F1 refugees have to do is just be nice to someone who has Sky (2 refugees to one Sky customer is permitted, so someone might want to PM henners88).
Sorry but I'm not sharing.
Old 18 Dec 2011, 19:09 (Ref:3001622)   #1345
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Glad Ben Edwards is moving to the BBC to cover the F1. The perfect replacement.

Don't have Sky in the house and I won't get it just for F1 - too expensive for what it is. No surprise Brundle left though.
Old 21 Dec 2011, 21:14 (Ref:3002908)   #1346
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The BBC have been explaining themselves to the MP's over the sky deal.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/96815

It confirms most of what we already know and the BBC did not talk to any other FTA channel regarding taking over coverage.
Old 22 Dec 2011, 02:06 (Ref:3002993)   #1347
Mr V
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhound View Post
and the BBC did not talk to any other FTA channel regarding taking over coverage.
Thank heavens for that!
Old 22 Dec 2011, 10:00 (Ref:3003079)   #1348
Flavio Galtieri
Veteran

European Union
Modena
Flavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Mark Thompson just confirms what we already suspected.

He doesn't give a damn about the fans, the sponsors, or anybody at all apart from saving his own neck.

Not talking to any other FTA broadcaster was a cynical, cowardly decision that has cast F1 into the wilderness of Sky's tiny viewing figures.

He should be sacked.
Old 22 Dec 2011, 11:04 (Ref:3003124)   #1349
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
I don't really blame the BBC. I blame Eccelstone for not slashing the price.
Old 22 Dec 2011, 11:32 (Ref:3003137)   #1350
mickey29
Racer

England
Wellingborough
mickey29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmickey29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavio Galtieri View Post
Mark Thompson just confirms what we already suspected.

He doesn't give a damn about the fans, the sponsors, or anybody at all apart from saving his own neck.

Not talking to any other FTA broadcaster was a cynical, cowardly decision that has cast F1 into the wilderness of Sky's tiny viewing figures.

He should be sacked.
Harsh! Mark Thompson has had his hand forced by the cuts the BBC have been forced to make by the current government. The people who are at fault here are FOM for having an unrealistic and greedy view of the world and government policy for reducing expenditure.

Remember that the BBC is a publicly funded body and has had to renew it's charter recently.

Other organisations are willing to pay the fees demanded by the "professional" bodies running sports.

The BBC has to provide a diverse range of programming and content from the World Service to Cbeebies. looking at the big picture; Formula 1 is not important.

Whilst I am saddened that F1 will not be totally Free To Air it is not the end of the world.

And demanding the sacking of a civil servant who is trying to please everyone doesn't help matters.
Closed Thread

Tags
outrage, sky