Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 18 Jun 2023, 18:22 (Ref:4164452)   #26
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
SC. I just caught a glimpse of Russell's car minus the right front wing.
Old 18 Jun 2023, 19:36 (Ref:4164493)   #27
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The rear wing on Ocon's car is very wobbly.
Old 18 Jun 2023, 19:40 (Ref:4164494)   #28
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Congrats to Verstappen, who takes his 41st GP win and congrats to Red Bull on their 100th GP win.
Old 18 Jun 2023, 19:40 (Ref:4164496)   #29
rika
Racer

rika should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That was one more boring Grand Prix
I am still looking forward to some real fights for victory and really interesting races.

This season really disappoints, no?
Old 18 Jun 2023, 20:49 (Ref:4164513)   #30
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Crofty is a tough listen often but Kravitz needs to be fired and called out for NOT being a journalist after today. The insistence on arguing a pointless and VERY VERY VERY clear call and then arguing the unsportsmanlike behavior of slowing the queue to get the benefit of double stacking was just obnoxious.

Otherwise good race outside of the dude crushing the field. And unlike the MB Hamilton Bottas train, Perez just isn't making the car look perfect. But seems like they have very different styles in setup so Max's car just doesn't always work for him.
Old 19 Jun 2023, 00:07 (Ref:4164542)   #31
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rika View Post
That was one more boring Grand Prix
I am still looking forward to some real fights for victory and really interesting races.

This season really disappoints, no?

OK no fight for the lead, but throughjout the field there were some really good battles and good overtakes, so I wouldn't describe it as boring.

I have only seen the Channel 4 highlights, though...
Old 19 Jun 2023, 02:34 (Ref:4164548)   #32
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
OK no fight for the lead, but throughjout the field there were some really good battles and good overtakes, so I wouldn't describe it as boring.

I have only seen the Channel 4 highlights, though...
To paraphrase the late Ritchie Benaud...test cricket highlights leave an impression on the viewer that the ball has been smashed around the park all day....when in reality....
Old 19 Jun 2023, 04:21 (Ref:4164551)   #33
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chavez View Post
To paraphrase the late Ritchie Benaud...test cricket highlights leave an impression on the viewer that the ball has been smashed around the park all day....when in reality....
Not wrong there, it's easier to find the highlights. But it's no substitute for watching it live
Old 19 Jun 2023, 08:46 (Ref:4164578)   #34
P38 in workshop
Veteran

P38 in workshop has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Congrats to Verstappen, who takes his 41st GP win and congrats to Red Bull on their 100th GP win.

Totally agree.The team have done magnificently this year,even by their high standards.
Old 19 Jun 2023, 10:28 (Ref:4164595)   #35
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Alpine 'loose' rear wing

Having watched the Channel 4 highlights of the race this morning, I'm surprised to to seen any comments on here (or anywhere else) about the amount of wobble there was in Ocon's rear wing towards the end of the race.
I appreciate that Lando may have had an ulterior motive in pointing this problem out over the team radio, but also, had the damned thing actually have come off, it would have been right in his face (so to speak).
Am I over reacting to this or was Lando right, the movement was excessive (and potentially dangerous)?
Old 19 Jun 2023, 11:01 (Ref:4164601)   #36
TrapezeArtist
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
TrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
I appreciate that Lando may have had an ulterior motive in pointing this problem out over the team radio, but also, had the damned thing actually have come off, it would have been right in his face (so to speak).
Am I over reacting to this or was Lando right, the movement was excessive (and potentially dangerous)?
Agreed. I can't think of anything much more scary than following a car that looks like it's about to lose a big chunk of itself.
Old 19 Jun 2023, 13:03 (Ref:4164621)   #37
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Am I the only one that thinks Norris' penalty was harsh? Has anyone else ever been penalised for that that?

The sporting reg he broke was:

Quote:
any infringement of the principles of fairness in competition, behaviour in an unsportsmanlike manner or attempt to influence the results of a competition, in a way that is contrary to sporting ethics.
I don't think there's a driver out there that wouldn't have done the same thing?
Old 19 Jun 2023, 14:26 (Ref:4164625)   #38
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Agreed.

And I also agree that Ocon should have been pulled in to secure that wing.
Old 19 Jun 2023, 15:02 (Ref:4164635)   #39
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
...but Kravitz needs to be fired and called out for NOT being a journalist after today...
i usually dont mind him to be honest, but he really was terrible yesterday.
Old 19 Jun 2023, 16:26 (Ref:4164650)   #40
TrapezeArtist
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
TrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
Am I the only one that thinks Norris' penalty was harsh? Has anyone else ever been penalised for that that?
I don't think there's a driver out there that wouldn't have done the same thing?
I didn't see the incident so it is hard to comment. (Did C4 show it?) As I understand it Lando was going slowly entering the pits so that Pastry would have been cleared and he could stop directly in his pit box. Presumably that was in the single lane bit of the pit entry before the speed limit line. And presumably others drivers were stuck behind him and forced to go at his speed. If all those assumptions are correct, I think the penalty was harsh. It's effectively saying that driving at the speed best suited to your own requirements is not allowed if there is another car behind you.
Old 19 Jun 2023, 17:59 (Ref:4164658)   #41
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapezeArtist View Post
I didn't see the incident so it is hard to comment. (Did C4 show it?) As I understand it Lando was going slowly entering the pits so that Pastry would have been cleared and he could stop directly in his pit box. Presumably that was in the single lane bit of the pit entry before the speed limit line. And presumably others drivers were stuck behind him and forced to go at his speed. If all those assumptions are correct, I think the penalty was harsh. It's effectively saying that driving at the speed best suited to your own requirements is not allowed if there is another car behind you.
My understanding is that he backed people up before even getting to pitlane, so he would not have to as you say 'double stack'.... Lando was unable to be passed behind the SC rules, thus delayed those behind him more than was necessary. It was considered as unsportsmanlike behaviour delaying others like Leclerc and Albon behind him. Its always been a ploy but some do it with more subtlety than Lando seems to have done in this case.

"Post-race, Norris claimed he did not back up - but on-board video footage of the McLaren shows him dropping back as the delta-time increases to open a gap to Piastri,"

My belief is that the situation became more blatant because Lando had to create the space / time he needed to get a no waiting pitstop in a short space of track. Just the back straight. Normally they have up to a full lap to create a bit of space.

This video explains it well. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUMGzFuRT2Y
Old 20 Jun 2023, 00:29 (Ref:4164721)   #42
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
This video explains it well. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUMGzFuRT2Y
Thanks for that link. That video is nicely done.

I do think the rule they used for Lando is very much a "catch all" and it seems a bit random. They sort of hint at this in the video, but it's interesting that the stewards feel they need to delve into this topic (driving too slow), but they effectively toss the judgement of a car being unsafe over the wall to the teams for them to make the call. Ocon's rear wing IMHO was a totally different level than having an endplate hanging loose. As called out in the video, teams are very likely to leave cars on track vs. pull them in for bits hanging off or about to fall off.

Richard
Old 20 Jun 2023, 02:16 (Ref:4164725)   #43
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
Thanks for that link. That video is nicely done.

I do think the rule they used for Lando is very much a "catch all" and it seems a bit random. They sort of hint at this in the video, but it's interesting that the stewards feel they need to delve into this topic (driving too slow), but they effectively toss the judgement of a car being unsafe over the wall to the teams for them to make the call. Ocon's rear wing IMHO was a totally different level than having an endplate hanging loose. As called out in the video, teams are very likely to leave cars on track vs. pull them in for bits hanging off or about to fall off.

Richard
Having watched the video and the circumstances pertaining to the penalty I can understand the reasons for the stewards thinking that way.
However, the way the whole situation is being evaluated is highly subjective so if they want to avoid future lengthy legal arguments then they have to be much more specific on what constitutes unsportsmanlike behaviour in such circumstances.
Norris has indicated that his 'slowness' was still within the limits of his delta.
If this is so then the penalty is not appropriate, certainly not in terms of that specific regulation.
McLaren would therefore be quite entitled to protest ANY driver who slows under a yellow to the extent that it causes one of the McLaren drivers to lose as much quantitative time as Norris caused the drivers behind to lose EVEN if the offending drivers were still within their delta.

This is why having the stewards make subjective decisions then walking away and not appearing regularly and consecutively is not always a good idea.
F1 needs consistently robust and pointed decisions that are specific to the offence created. Having regulations with ambiguities and pieces that are at variance with other racing regulations may need to be tightened up and some training required to ensure that part time stewards understand the implications and otherwise of their decisions.
Steiners call is not wrong. F1 stewarding can easily become a joke as has already happened in past situations.

Losse body parts?
Massa was injured by a broken part. The halo is a result of that specific incident.
So, what happens if someone loses a part, and it hinders someone else's progress or creates damage or injury?

The car losing the part may get penalized but if it is a team decision, and one of the offending teams cars finishes a place ahead of the car of the other team that was damaged or delayed as a result, do they get a reversal of positions because of the offending team's failure to deal with the problem?

If we are taking evenness and sportsmanship to the level that Norris was penalized then it would not be amiss to reverse the positions in the above situation.
How far the regulations should go in this regard is up for discussion but now that the stewards have penalized Norris then the question needs to be answered and the FIA held accountable in ALL such situations.
Old 21 Jun 2023, 04:45 (Ref:4164841)   #44
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Norris penalty for backing up cars behind him was fair.If not it would happen every safety car and can have a major effect on race results.
The most notorious case I’ve ever seen was the 2019 Bathurst 1000 where Scott McLaughlin’s team mate backed up the field to allow him to retain the lead.Without that several cars that needed much shorter fuel drops would have passed him in the pits.The team mate was penalised but McLaughlin got away with no consequences and won the race.A shameful act and the team principal basically quit due to “stress” .
Forget Norris the people who need sympathy are those who were trapped behind him.
Old 21 Jun 2023, 11:57 (Ref:4164864)   #45
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
But surely they could have issued a penalty for improper SC car procedure or something similarly worded. At least everyone would know what they were talking about then.

Citing a phrase like ‘behaviour in an unsportsmanlike manner or attempt to influence the results of a competition, in a way that is contrary to sporting ethics’ makes it sound like he did something far more sinister imo. It was just a rule infraction. And no doubt an important rule to adhere to, but you don’t need to make it sound like he was cheating.
Old 21 Jun 2023, 12:15 (Ref:4164866)   #46
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
But surely they could have issued a penalty for improper SC car procedure or something similarly worded. At least everyone would know what they were talking about then.

Citing a phrase like ‘behaviour in an unsportsmanlike manner or attempt to influence the results of a competition, in a way that is contrary to sporting ethics’ makes it sound like he did something far more sinister imo. It was just a rule infraction. And no doubt an important rule to adhere to, but you don’t need to make it sound like he was cheating.

I suppose it all depends on how you define cheating, though. As it is, he disadvantaged other drivers so that he wasn't.
Old 21 Jun 2023, 12:47 (Ref:4164870)   #47
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
I suppose it all depends on how you define cheating, though. As it is, he disadvantaged other drivers so that he wasn't.
It’s only cheating when someone does it against my team!
Old 21 Jun 2023, 13:57 (Ref:4164884)   #48
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I find it hilarious that they literally posted on the messaging that he was under investigation for driving too slowly under SC and not maintaining gaps but then everyone was astounded when he received a penalty later. Was I the only one who noticed or is it just the Lando is just such a nice guy he wouldn't do anything wrong blinders. We've had TV folks go off for days if Ferrari slows the field and nevermind Max or Lewis slowing the field at the end of a SC period. But this slowing on track to build YOUR OWN gap so you aren't disadvantaged and all the sudden it's the FIA on a witch hunt. He was well back from the rest of the field and didn't lose out waiting to pit, that's a penalty and unsportsmanlike to me, fairly clear and easy call
Old 21 Jun 2023, 14:00 (Ref:4164886)   #49
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Well these things very rarely come up, but rules are rules and Lando was right to be punished. Of course I can't blame him for trying, but they need to make it fair, which is why the rules are in place. Just need to make sure everyone understands it. The penalty may seem harsh, but it's not unreasonable
Old 21 Jun 2023, 15:10 (Ref:4164896)   #50
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
I find it hilarious that they literally posted on the messaging that he was under investigation for driving too slowly under SC and not maintaining gaps but then everyone was astounded when he received a penalty later....
fair fair...i definitely missed the first message about the investigation and just saw the message for the penalty/behaviour in an unsportsmanlike manner proclamation.

and yeah, it for sure also has to do with having blinders on!