Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 30 May 2003, 13:14 (Ref:614727)   #1
Gilles
Racer

European Union
Le Manshire - the 87th British county
Gilles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why? Explain me why ?

:confused: Why the Ligne Droite des Hunaudières is called Mulsanne straight on the other side of the channel ?

Is it just because there's one Bentley model which is called Mulsanne and not Hunaudieres ?

... it's not the taking part but the winning that counts !
Old 30 May 2003, 14:59 (Ref:614822)   #2
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Re: Why? Explain me why ?

Quote:
Originally posted by Gilles
:confused: Why the Ligne Droite des Hunaudières is called Mulsanne straight on the other side of the channel ?

Is it just because there's one Bentley model which is called Mulsanne and not Hunaudieres ?
Probably because the average Englishman can't pronounce 'Hunaudières'!
Old 30 May 2003, 16:23 (Ref:614942)   #3
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
And there was a Bentley called Hunaudières - albeit only a show car
Old 30 May 2003, 16:26 (Ref:614945)   #4
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I think the Bentley Mulsanne was named after the straight, so that's no explanation.

In short - I don't know!
Old 30 May 2003, 16:43 (Ref:614966)   #5
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
We've just always called it that i think. It's the long straight before a kink and a tight corner with the same name. It's just much easier for us to say "The Mulsanne Straight", than "La Ligne Droite de Hunaudieres"

it's 4 syllables versus 8.....
Old 30 May 2003, 17:02 (Ref:614989)   #6
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
Gilles, I tried to promote 'Hunaudières', but I didn't have much more success...

I still use it anyway !
Old 30 May 2003, 17:07 (Ref:614994)   #7
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I try to say Hunaudieres Fab, but i usually forget to. Mulsannes just comes naturally now...
Old 30 May 2003, 18:30 (Ref:615079)   #8
Gilles
Racer

European Union
Mulsanne straight is a geographical nonsense anyway!

the most part of the straight is located on the city of Ruaudin, the fist part is on the Le Mans territory and only the few last hudreds metres are on the Mulsanne territory.

Probably prononciation is the best explanation!

Old 30 May 2003, 20:38 (Ref:615212)   #9
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'm nearly old enough to recall the Pontlieu hairpin......
Old 30 May 2003, 20:38 (Ref:615213)   #10
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
i suspect it's more laziness on our part....
Old 30 May 2003, 21:10 (Ref:615244)   #11
RM40
Racer

RM40 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Would someone mind posting the phonetical pronounciation of "La Ligne Droite de Hunaudieres". I am totally clueless on how to pronounce it...
Old 30 May 2003, 21:20 (Ref:615249)   #12
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
um, i think it's like this

Lah Leen Dwut d Hun-oh-dee-air

(It really looks stupid like that doesn't it!)
Old 30 May 2003, 21:25 (Ref:615254)   #13
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ah, see, that's your reason.

Now, to an American, that would be pronounced "La Lig-nee Droit dez Hugh-nad-ee-air-ez" (or "Hugh-na-deerz" in some parts).

So you should be glad we just say Mulsanne (although some yokels insist on saying "Mul-sain").

Last edited by Lee Janotta; 30 May 2003 at 21:31.
Old 30 May 2003, 21:50 (Ref:615275)   #14
SL
Veteran

SL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've checked some early UK LM reports I have and whilst they start in 1929 as the Hunaudieres, a few years later the name goes away, the 'Cafe de Hippodrome' is shown as well as Mulsanne corner. The straight refered to as 'The Straight'

Early 1950's Hunaudieres reappears, BUT about 55 / 56 Autosport starts with the 'Staight to Mulsanne Corner' Cafe Hippodrome still shown as the only name between the 2 and 7km markers. Late 58 I see references to 'Down the Mulsanne straight'

Around the 60's corner and '63 see's several referances to 'Down the Mulsanne' and the 'Mulsanne Straight' in Autosport/Motor/Motor Sport etc.

Finally, 67, the map has a 'Mulsanne' printed along the Ford map to the straight, the year of the GT40.

Seems Ford is the culprit, following year '68 most Ford drivers were quoting speeds down the 'Mulsanne' ACO were still printing 'Hunaudieres' though, first Mulsanne type ACO type map I can see is '72.

just about every referance from then on is to 'The Mulsanne' or 'Mulsanne straight'. Hunaudieres appears now and then but normally in talk about the cafe/bar.

I can try and look details up later if needed, it was a fairly brief flick though. However between 64 - 68 the name seems to have stuck. Not surprising given the huge fights between Ford / Ferrari / Porsche / Lola / Matra / Alfa / Chapperal at the time.

So "The straight to Mulsanne Corner" became "Mulsanne Straight" I assume as a commentry shortcut.

I rest my case M'Lord

Simon
Old 30 May 2003, 21:59 (Ref:615286)   #15
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Where'd you get all that?
Old 30 May 2003, 22:09 (Ref:615296)   #16
SL
Veteran

SL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My reference libary.....

Unique Books two vol collection '29-59 / '60-90. Collection of press reports in a paperback £13.95 each

Simon
Old 30 May 2003, 22:09 (Ref:615297)   #17
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
As a Yank, Gilles & Fab, you would much rather have me call it the "Mulsanne Straight" that have to listen to me butcher your language, as ell as the beautful sounding and more accurate name for the Mulsanne Straight...

Trust me on this one.....

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 31 May 2003, 03:59 (Ref:615475)   #18
danhx
Racer

danhx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I even took a few years of French but i can barely eek out an acceptable pronunciation of "Hunaudieres"...I'd be afraid to try it in France for fear of someone slapping me for screwing it all up.
Old 31 May 2003, 06:51 (Ref:615508)   #19
Gilles
Racer

European Union
So don't ask to local people the direction to "la ligne de Mulsanne" because they'ld be lost and give you the deviation road to go to the city and not the straight.

So I gonna keep say "Ligne Droite (which is not really striaght BTW) des Hunaudières" as a French cultural exception !!!!!!!

Old 31 May 2003, 07:01 (Ref:615510)   #20
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Tim Northcutt
...to listen to me butcher your language...
You missed one thing here : we LOVE to ear french spoken with an accent : it's exotical ! So don't bother the way you pronounce it, I like it the way you do... or is it what FG calls my 'englophily' ? And what do you think of the way I butcher your language each day here, and you didn't heard me talk ! (Oh my Gawd, stone the crows )

The Simon's explanation is remarquable

Last edited by Fab; 31 May 2003 at 07:02.
Old 31 May 2003, 09:07 (Ref:615588)   #21
Kpy
Veteran

Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!
I first got really interested in Le Mans in 1958 - guess why !! - and we certainly called it the Mulsanne straight then.
I always assumed it was called that because it was the road which went towards the village of Mulsanne.