Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 2 Sep 2007, 18:42 (Ref:2001987)   #1
bolide
Rookie

bolide should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Martin Stretton

Martin Stretton was involved in a big single-car accident at Madgwick during the TT race on Sunday at Goodwood

Very little news was made available while I was there but what news there was seemed to say he is OK

There were some concerned drivers being interviewed after the race and they, and I'm sure everyone else at Goodwood and on this forum, want to wish him a speedy recovery

Nick Froome
Old 2 Sep 2007, 18:50 (Ref:2001993)   #2
jonbryant
Veteran

England
Horsham, West Sussex
jonbryant should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjonbryant should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It looked a very serious shunt but we should remember to not discuss rumours and details on here as it's a public forum.

I'll have a scout round for information.

JB
Old 2 Sep 2007, 18:51 (Ref:2001994)   #3
Peter Horsman
Racer

Peter Horsman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My understanding is that he suffered 'only' a broken elbow in terms of injuries - don't know how badly broken.

Big shunt - could have been worse.
Old 2 Sep 2007, 18:53 (Ref:2001995)   #4
Peter Horsman
Racer

My info (by the way) was from his senior mechanics after he was extracated from the car, so I believe reliable
Old 2 Sep 2007, 19:23 (Ref:2002025)   #5
jonbryant
Veteran

England
Horsham, West Sussex
jonbryant should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjonbryant should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thats the news I'd heard aswell Peter but from a not so reliable source . Lets hope that it's a clean and "simple" injury. Broken elbows can be nasty but at least that will heal.

Get well soon Martin
Old 2 Sep 2007, 19:41 (Ref:2002034)   #6
Redneck Rocket
Racer

Canada
Battersea, London
Redneck Rocket should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRedneck Rocket should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It was a nasty shunt indeed. I saw the whole thing unfold, and as the dust settled and I saw the car I have to admit I feared the worst. It struck me later that had an accident like that happened during the period which we were all celebrating, the result might well have been much worse! Likewise with Julian's big shunt in the McLaren (again, happened right in front of me) Thank goodness for modern belts, seats and the quick and selfless actions of the marshalls.

Speedy recovery Martin - let's see you out there at next year's Revival.
Old 2 Sep 2007, 19:53 (Ref:2002041)   #7
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Dan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Stretton's fruitless efforts in the Elan were one of the highlights of the weekend. Hope he quickly recovers from this nasty incident.

Bronson accident - couldn't believe how lucky he and the spectators were. We dragged two fuel tank bags off the track (located away from the car on the racing line!)... If racing in the olden days, it would have been "flambe"..
Old 2 Sep 2007, 22:17 (Ref:2002116)   #8
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Sheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I have known Martin a long time and I wish him a very speedy recovery from his injuries.
Old 2 Sep 2007, 22:25 (Ref:2002122)   #9
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Friel
Stretton's fruitless efforts in the Elan were one of the highlights of the weekend. Hope he quickly recovers from this nasty incident.
I'm sure we all agree with that.

Quote:
Bronson accident - couldn't believe how lucky he and the spectators were. We dragged two fuel tank bags off the track (located away from the car on the racing line!)... If racing in the olden days, it would have been "flambe"..
My son and I were standing on the bank immediately above the point of impact. I had earlier remarked to him that there was minimal protection. I was actually looking the other way towards Woodcote, but he saw the car coming straight towards us and said afterwards: "I didn't know what to do!" Fortunately it was a glancing blow and the car bounced back towards the track further down. I was still very relieved to see Julian Bronson climb out after a moment or two.
Old 3 Sep 2007, 05:15 (Ref:2002252)   #10
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Julian is supposed to start Tour Britannia with us later today.Hope all is well.Its a good thing he didn't have same incident in Blue Streak.Martins now becoming one of the good blokes and hope all is well for him and Pru.
Why should either of them want to return until run off areas are created as at other circuits.Its the Kings new Cloathes again.Should have spoken to Willie beforehand
Old 3 Sep 2007, 08:10 (Ref:2002317)   #11
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Spoken to the Stretton crew this morning and understand the boy is shaken but not stirred.They don't know whats broken, wrist,elbow or what.
Old 3 Sep 2007, 08:18 (Ref:2002319)   #12
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Good news then, it seems. Best wishes to Martin for a suitably speedy recovery!
Old 3 Sep 2007, 08:45 (Ref:2002340)   #13
zac510
Veteran

zac510 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I saw it too, was a bit of a knock.. As the state of Martin has been covered so far.. how's the car?

I thought it was pretty gutsy of Mrs Stretton to be on the grid doing the post race interviews literally while Martin was still in the car.
Old 3 Sep 2007, 08:52 (Ref:2002346)   #14
Peter Horsman
Racer

Yes., that seemed to me to be an awkward moment. (The ex-Mrs Stretton, I suppose)

Pics of car on Goodwood thread seem self-explanatory.

How did it happen? Saw prelude on TV - seemed MS got run on red Shelby Cobra and others on inside on approach to Madgewick and it was all looking pretty tight, Did he put couple of wheels on inside grass (pushed?) and then lost it maybe under braking??
Old 3 Sep 2007, 09:18 (Ref:2002379)   #15
zac510
Veteran

Are we 'allowed' to talk about how it happened yet? He definitely had his RF wheel on the grass just briefly (I was viewing from Madgwick) and was already travelling a bit quickly up the inside of the red Cobra. From then he just had the front locked up.
I don't think there's any space for rumours or speculation. That was pretty much just what happened.
Old 3 Sep 2007, 09:20 (Ref:2002381)   #16
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by zac510
I thought it was pretty gutsy of Mrs Stretton to be on the grid doing the post race interviews literally while Martin was still in the car.
ex Mrs Stretton!
Old 3 Sep 2007, 09:24 (Ref:2002387)   #17
zac510
Veteran

yeah, sorry to both parties, I'm not that close to the historic circles
Old 3 Sep 2007, 09:26 (Ref:2002389)   #18
Peter Horsman
Racer

Well, I think that gives us as good an idea as any, thanks. Certainly enough for my curiosity. One does not want to be all locked up there, especially going quickly, as Martin invariably does.
Old 3 Sep 2007, 09:28 (Ref:2002390)   #19
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
sadly none of us are that close to the fragrant ex Mrs Stretton!!
Old 3 Sep 2007, 10:01 (Ref:2002418)   #20
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon drabble
sadly none of us are that close to the fragrant ex Mrs Stretton!!
Other than Mr Berridge (sp?)...
Old 3 Sep 2007, 10:09 (Ref:2002426)   #21
simon drabble
Veteran

absolutely - lucky man, a stunning petrolhead is a rare commodity
Old 3 Sep 2007, 10:46 (Ref:2002447)   #22
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
But is it only petrol in there?.I digress,best Wishes to Martin.
Old 3 Sep 2007, 11:50 (Ref:2002504)   #23
Redneck Rocket
Racer

Canada
Battersea, London
Redneck Rocket should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRedneck Rocket should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Horsman
Yes., that seemed to me to be an awkward moment. (The ex-Mrs Stretton, I suppose)

Pics of car on Goodwood thread seem self-explanatory.

How did it happen? Saw prelude on TV - seemed MS got run on red Shelby Cobra and others on inside on approach to Madgewick and it was all looking pretty tight, Did he put couple of wheels on inside grass (pushed?) and then lost it maybe under braking??
He did put a couple of wheels onto the grass. They were 3 abreast coming into the corner - I believe he was racing the car on the outside for position, while the one in the middle (red E-type?) was a backmarker. Could be wrong on the particulars. He got back onto the track but was obviously going too quickly and couldn't hold it.

Now that I know Martin is okay - I remember thinking as he went for the pass (right in front of me) that it was a very ambitious move. He was very late on the brakes and there was hardly any room down the inside.
Old 3 Sep 2007, 12:00 (Ref:2002518)   #24
ScottDay
Racer

United Kingdom
Derby
ScottDay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just to clarify. Here is a statement released from a website:

We are pleased to say that after Martin's accident in th ISO Bizzarini A3C during the TT race at the Goodwood Revival meeting on Sunday 2nd September, he has been released from hospital and is on his way home. He has sustained a broken elbow and severe bruising.
Old 3 Sep 2007, 12:05 (Ref:2002523)   #25
simon drabble
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneck Rocket
He did put a couple of wheels onto the grass. They were 3 abreast coming into the corner - I believe he was racing the car on the outside for position, while the one in the middle (red E-type?) was a backmarker. Could be wrong on the particulars. He got back onto the track but was obviously going too quickly and couldn't hold it.

Now that I know Martin is okay - I remember thinking as he went for the pass (right in front of me) that it was a very ambitious move. He was very late on the brakes and there was hardly any room down the inside.
There is a sense of deja vous here with the time he shared the Minshaw E Type at Nordschliefe. I am pleased to hear he is relatively ok - I dont wish a broken elbow on anyone - but maybe he is overdriving, to finish first......