Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Hillclimb and Sprint

Old 24 Apr 2007, 13:03 (Ref:1899309)   #1
Stuart Hill
Veteran

England
Stuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridStuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Willem Quits!!

Just received this from Willem Toet. A great pity but you can't blame the man for his decision.

Quote:
Hi everyone,

This is for information

I've had something come up at work which means that I cannot compete at Prescott (early May) but also my general workload and logistics mean that it's always going to be difficult to compete in the UK and live over here in Switzerland with my level of dedication to work. With the job I have here I have also been given a great opportunity to make a difference (we've done fairly well so far this year) and I want to grab that opportunity with both hands. Not being at work on Monday mornings is not a great way to do that …
This combination of factors has made me decide to stop regular hillclimbing for the moment and to sell my hillclimb car. A difficult and sad decision to make because I do enjoy hillclimbing and will miss lots of friends but a necessary choice for the longer term.

I will, in the short term, focus leisure hours working on my German (lack of) language skills and on mountain biking (the downhill part of which is just as challenging as hillclimbing and costs a lot less) and, in the winters, skiing.

Sue and I wish you all the very best and hope to see some of you over here in beautiful Switzerland.......

Bill Chaplin will have details of what is for sale soon - force8racing@aol.com

All the best.

Willem
Old 24 Apr 2007, 13:26 (Ref:1899324)   #2
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
What a shame. Nice chap and great fun to see compete.

Still he does say: "stop regular hillclimbing for the moment " (my emphasis) so who knows.

Jim
Old 24 Apr 2007, 14:34 (Ref:1899360)   #3
xtealadyx
Rookie

United Kingdom
Lichfield
xtealadyx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
what a shame, hope to see him back soon

tealady
Old 24 Apr 2007, 14:57 (Ref:1899379)   #4
Steve Wilkinson
Veteran

United Kingdom
Southport
Steve Wilkinson is a back marker
I'm not surprised that the pressure & logistics of working in Switzerland and taking part in the British Hillclimb Championship has brought about this decision. I hope that someone picks up the Pilbeam Project and that we see Willem back in due course.

Old 24 Apr 2007, 19:55 (Ref:1899595)   #5
devon kev
Racer

Guernsey
MELBOURNE DERBY
devon kev should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hope he comes back soon
Old 24 Apr 2007, 19:57 (Ref:1899598)   #6
zac510
Veteran

zac510 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Best of luck to him then!
Old 24 Apr 2007, 22:56 (Ref:1899720)   #7
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
We're going to miss him sooo much. An exciting driver, and a wonderful personality. I hope his absence is temporary, but I wish him the greatest success in his task. I guess this was always on the cards with the move to Switzerland.
Old 24 Apr 2007, 23:00 (Ref:1899723)   #8
Stuart Hill
Veteran

England
Stuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridStuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
with many credits to Richard and Georgia;

here's some of the reasons why we'll miss Willem.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IluY67H1P1c
Old 24 Apr 2007, 23:19 (Ref:1899731)   #9
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Brilliant. Drives fast and enjoys it.

Thank you.

Jim
Old 25 Apr 2007, 08:58 (Ref:1899931)   #10
Steve Wilkinson
Veteran

United Kingdom
Southport
On the edge!

Willem doing what he did best!
Old 25 Apr 2007, 21:29 (Ref:1900465)   #11
Andrew Gunnell
Racer

United Kingdom
stratford-upon-avon
Andrew Gunnell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks Stuart for the video link. I too hope that we will see Willem back on the hills in the near future. Good Luck with the season ahead.
Old 26 Apr 2007, 00:31 (Ref:1900542)   #12
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Excellent video, there. My Willem highlight is the Shelsley centenary meeting. Lots of good climbing but a sceptical crowd, some of whom have possibly experienced other hillclimb festivals, wondered if the quick boys were really trying or just showboating. Then Willem arrived at Bottom Ess, completey sideways, clouted the outside bank and continued without lifting to the sound of several thousand people going 'Oooh'. Classic moment.
Old 26 Apr 2007, 07:59 (Ref:1900692)   #13
Matt Dillon
Racer

England
Dudley
Matt Dillon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sad news. All the best Willem
Old 26 Apr 2007, 10:43 (Ref:1900819)   #14
Marshalling Bag
Rookie

Marshalling Bag is a back marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley
I guess this was always on the cards with the move to Switzerland.
I think most of us thought this when he moved but it is still very sad news indeed. We will miss his charismatic personality greatly and wish him all the best with what ever he decides to do.
Old 26 Apr 2007, 13:11 (Ref:1900911)   #15
Steve Wilkinson
Veteran

United Kingdom
Southport
Prescott Appearance?

Willem is alledgedly turning out at the 5th/6th May Prescott in a TWO litre racing car (?) - wonder which one that will be!

The event should also see the return of Rob Turnbull in the V6 Gould.

Old 26 Apr 2007, 13:47 (Ref:1900931)   #16
Pistonbroke
Racer

Wales
Shropshire
Pistonbroke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not entirely unexpected but a real shame. He'll be seriously missed. Top man in so many ways
Old 26 Apr 2007, 15:22 (Ref:1901001)   #17
DaveK
Racer

England
Whitchurch
DaveK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Wilkinson
Willem is alledgedly turning out at the 5th/6th May Prescott in a TWO litre racing car (?) - wonder which one that will be!

Steve , Willem has had to cancel due to work, However Bill Chaplin will now be driving with Tony Hunt.

Dave
Old 26 Apr 2007, 20:05 (Ref:1901184)   #18
Stuart Hill
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Wilkinson
Having just spoken to Willem, unfortunately this will NOT be happening. He has TOLD me why, but I do not feel at liberty to pass-on the reason in public.

Suffice to say, he is extremely happy where he is (Switzerland, Mountains, Views, good Downhills!!!) aswell as enjoying his work.

Doesn't get much better, does it????

All the best Willem and BMW.