Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 14 Oct 2009, 23:14 (Ref:2561621)   #1
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
2009 Official Le Mans DVD

I'm in the process of watching this at the moment - and while the video quality is now pleasingly widescreen and upscales nicely into HD the commentary plumbs appalling depths and the actual level of race coverage isn't as extensive as it really should be.

There's no passion to it, the guy comes across as uninformed and simply reading from a badly prepared script reminding me of nothing so much as some of the Motors TV programmes that are translated verbatim and clumsily from native French. It's also chock full of base errors such as this apparently being Tom Kristensen's last race.

We know better can be done - most of the reviews from certainly the last 10 years have been genuinely worthwhile - why has such a retrograde step been taken?
Old 15 Oct 2009, 22:02 (Ref:2562305)   #2
Joe Taylor
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warwickshire, UK
Joe Taylor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Glad it's not just me who thinks it's awful. In addition to the large number of errors, there isn't actually that much racing in the review.
Old 16 Oct 2009, 14:03 (Ref:2562731)   #3
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Woeful, yet they appear to have put more effort into this year's review. Unfortunately, they've completely lost the essence of a race review somewhere along the line. It should be possible to replicate the prerace excitement and anticipation as well as gripping the viewer throughout the race coverage itself, which they've totally failed to do.

I suspect my copy will sit on the shelf gathering dust for many years before I feel moved to view it again.
Old 6 Nov 2009, 16:45 (Ref:2577106)   #4
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
That is a shame. I guess I'll just wait to get it as a freebee with the event programme next year.
Old 7 Nov 2009, 09:45 (Ref:2577505)   #5
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Down F0rce View Post
That is a shame. I guess I'll just wait to get it as a freebee with the event programme next year.
The freebie with the programme is something quite different. This is the Duke 2009 review, and, regardless of my comments above, would still be a nice souvenir of your first Le Mans. Put it on your Christmas list!
Old 7 Nov 2009, 12:58 (Ref:2577599)   #6
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Cheers for pointing that out James - the programme DVD is lurking somewhere in the study - worth a watch in terms of offering anything over and above the Duke offering?
Old 7 Nov 2009, 13:04 (Ref:2577602)   #7
Joe Taylor
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warwickshire, UK
Joe Taylor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley03 View Post
The freebie with the programme is something quite different. This is the Duke 2009 review, and, regardless of my comments above, would still be a nice souvenir of your first Le Mans. Put it on your Christmas list!
I thought the Duke review was the same as the ACO review. The 2008 reviews were identical at least.
Old 7 Nov 2009, 14:47 (Ref:2577661)   #8
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Taylor View Post
I thought the Duke review was the same as the ACO review. The 2008 reviews were identical at least.
In which case I may well be wrong. The last programme freebie dvd I watched was definitely not the same as the Duke review (in fact it was hardly a review at all), but I'm not sure which year that was. I suspect I've binned all my freebies, so unable to check. Thanks for that, I'll make a point of checking next year.
Old 10 Nov 2009, 14:08 (Ref:2579526)   #9
Pilgrimage
Veteran

England
Kent, England
Pilgrimage should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Watched the programme one - nice to have as a freebie - but too much build up (inc testing and other events) and not enough actual race for my taste.
Old 11 Nov 2009, 18:17 (Ref:2580257)   #10
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I gave up on the Official Vids during the mid 00's, they got worse and worse - or, rather, I've become old enough to note the mistakes.

Although the worst one of all time was probably 1998. That was beyond shocking. I didn't notice it all when I was a toddler, but I watched a couple of years ago but I didn't last to the end - the commentator sounded like he needed the tiolet desperately and he couldn't get any parts of the circuit right.
Old 12 Nov 2009, 03:46 (Ref:2580558)   #11
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
So is the Duke DVD worth buying? Does it show much of the other classes or does it just focus on the outright fight?
Old 12 Nov 2009, 21:46 (Ref:2581051)   #12
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich07 View Post
So is the Duke DVD worth buying? Does it show much of the other classes or does it just focus on the outright fight?
Not sure if focuses on anything much. I think the Eurosport and RLM teams who do the whole race live make less mistakes than Duke do.
Old 1 Dec 2009, 19:42 (Ref:2592476)   #13
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Frankly, as soon as the official DVD (video as it then was) ceased to have the RLM commentary (the last was '95 from my recollection), the productions went downhill. Added-on commentaries are absolutely no patch on the 'real thing' from RLM. I bought the latest DVD and I've watched it once, I might watch it again some time. In the days of the SportsSeen RLM commentaried videos I would watch them over and over again. I actually wore out the 1990 video (it was so good) and had to buy another copy. As a sad muppet who listened to the commentary of the 2008 race (on mp3 download from RLM) 11 times and have already listened to the commentary of this year's race 6.5 times (I spend a lot of time in the car....... ), I just love listening to Hindy, Trussers and (most of) the other commentators. Perhaps we ought to ask Hindy if there is any chance at all of the commentary finding it's way back onto video footage ever again?
Old 2 Dec 2009, 02:35 (Ref:2592632)   #14
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Perhaps we ought to ask Hindy if there is any chance at all of the commentary finding it's way back onto video footage ever again?
That would be fantastic!

It would be great if RLM could release their own DVD using their commentary ontop of the vision of the race. And instead of just being ninety minutes long it should be longer much longer. So much goes on in the race that doesnt make it to the DVD. It doesnt have to be 24hrs long but you easily fill three or four hours or even more.
Old 2 Dec 2009, 12:01 (Ref:2592801)   #15
olly83
Racer

United Kingdom
olly83 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It sounds like the DVD is basically what ITV4 showed a few months ago and I remember complaining about it then. There is no excuse for such ill informed commentary. It was embarrasingly bad! I recorded the ITV highlights onto my computer so I wont be buying the DVD.

Who was the guy who used to do the DVD commentaries? It was by no means perfect with many corners being mis-called but it was certainly better than this year's effort.

I like the sound of RLM commentary, maybe we should start a petition!