Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 4 Oct 2011, 08:34 (Ref:2965372)   #1
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
2012 season

I wonder what impact the current meltdown in the financial markets will have - when we last saw this in 2008 it had precious little effect in historics but grass root modern national series did suffer as sponsors disappeared.
Having a foot in both camps I am seeing the difference between the two - the larger historic preppers are still busy and charging like a wounded buffalo yet the modern club guys are adapting to the new paradigm...
I think the historics might see a different environment next year where clubbies (I most definitely see myself in that camp) will cherry pick UK rounds and the European rounds will be frequented by the multi car owners.. whether that makes grids uncommenrcial remains to be seen but for sure the number of "clubbies" going to Monza etc I think will be down...
Be under no illusion it is very ugly out there with no apparent answer other than ECB ponzi schemes to paper over the cracks.....
Old 4 Oct 2011, 10:41 (Ref:2965461)   #2
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
So it was you that pressed the "sell" button then!

I think it's fair to say that the major events are being directed at the mutli prepper/multi car teams. Perhaps the organisations see them as a better long term prospect. That in itself makes things like the Classic etc. less inviting for us minnows, but I've done that now and I don't currently plan on trying again.

So, whilst I agree that things are looking grim for the next year or two, I think people will start to look at other events such as CSCC, Equipe GTS, HSCC etc. that offer longer races at a lesser cost. Of course these series/championships are already pretty much full of regulars so it can only be a good thing for those organisations.
Old 4 Oct 2011, 19:42 (Ref:2965742)   #3
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
This is why I think its important clubs start working together and start being more flexible with not only the regulations but also this having to join every differerent club and pay registration fees to each to allow more cross competing in different championships/seriesthere is no point holding races for under ten cars anymore as its unviable and in the same vein for someone down the south to travel to Croft or Oulton or someone from Manchester to travel to Brands or Lydden is also becoming less and less attractive.
Old 4 Oct 2011, 20:05 (Ref:2965752)   #4
historic racer
Rookie

historic racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Back in the 70s you joined the club of your choice and then the event organising club would open the entry's up to invited clubs. This worked very well but cannot see that happening today in the money grabbing mentality that pervades the majority of clubs. Perhaps if enough people rang clubs and said they wanted to enter but not join the club would would happen ? if my experience is anything to go by they told me to pi55 off, said they were not a charity so they lost an entry fee, rock ape accountancy ???
Old 5 Oct 2011, 06:57 (Ref:2965957)   #5
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
In hill climbs and sprints, many events are open to regional organisations e.g. The ASWMC, and any club that is a member of that regional association is automatically invited. Thus with my MGCC membership I could enter a Torbay MC event if I were down that way. Alex enters Clay Pigeon Kart Club events on his Llandow membership.

Fair point, why not in racing?

I wanted to enter the local Midget Championship round a couple of years back, but despite being an MGCC member it was made clear I wouldn't be welcome unless I paid the £95 series fee. So I didn't enter and the series lost a potential member. Crackers.
Old 5 Oct 2011, 07:02 (Ref:2965960)   #6
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Its a real problem that needs addressing. I can live without the Barbys, the newsletters I seldom read, the expensive shows where you get a dozen enquires all weekend, The fancy support vehicle (why do we need this??), the expensive decals, the end of season awards, the end of season do unless its self financing the lot and I can also live without the additional hundred quid to join ontop of the main clubs membership fee. Do away with all the unneccessaries, have a nice club website and forum, all members contacted by email or text and that hundred quid could be £25 which no one would mind. Also any sponsorship money goes into the pot for the drivers.
Old 5 Oct 2011, 07:23 (Ref:2965971)   #7
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Regarding Simon's original point, historic racing has always been the province of the wealthy, of the type who will always have serious money. And it's getting more that way. So the big festivals won't suffer, except with a reduction in spectators possibly.

As far as the clubman is concerned, the recession hit motor sport about 12 months ago. Until that time we were roaring away but in October sales just stopped. Motor racing is always a discretionary spend, changing perfectly serviceable clothing on a whim even more so - especially if you are cutting down on the events you do. Picked up again in the summer, I suppose we are all feeling a bit more comfortable and know where we are going financially.

We are expecting a boost with the change to hill climb clothing rules in 2012, but 2013 will be pretty dire with most drivers having bought expensive clothing within the last two to three years and it should last at least five! I'm hoping the MSA's Go Motorsport campaigns will increase newcomers to the sport, but TBQH the clothing rules are a barrier to start with. I kitted out a chap the other day who was running a steam car in one hill climb at Prescott, and it cost him £530 just to get legal! How someone with a young family is going to be able to run to that is difficult to imagine.

You only have to look at grids to see that certain series really have to pull their socks up and offer value for money. I suspect those with fewer rounds but more seat time at each one will gather strength. If what I've seen at Castle Combe is anything to go by, 2012 will be difficult in the extreme. While the home series have kept numbers up, there have been some very lacklustre grids from visiting races.

As ever, the best will survive and those who get complacent will fall by the wayside. I always look on a recession as difficult but an opportunity to shine.
Old 5 Oct 2011, 08:14 (Ref:2965989)   #8
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
If I wrote it down my chosen route and timing was suicidal! from comfortable dinkies to a young family and self employed in 6 years smack in the middle of a recession . . . . I've never felt poorer financially, but where theres a will there's a way, I've stuck by my principals, and I think It'll pay off in the long run.
Old 5 Oct 2011, 09:57 (Ref:2966018)   #9
MartinSmith
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Essex
MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!
Do you think we need the equivilent of an "Easyjet" or "Ryanair" for motorsport?
Old 5 Oct 2011, 10:09 (Ref:2966028)   #10
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Claire I actually think it all bodes rather well for your type of series...
Old 5 Oct 2011, 10:22 (Ref:2966030)   #11
compte deGraves
Veteran

France
Charente, France
compte deGraves should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcompte deGraves should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Would you not think that 750 MC would continue to do well? Everytime I visit one of their events I am struck by how very friendly they all are.
Old 5 Oct 2011, 10:34 (Ref:2966034)   #12
MartinSmith
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Essex
MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon drabble View Post
Claire I actually think it all bodes rather well for your type of series...

I hope you are right Simon, and we have discussed this through various threads. In respect of what Al was saying, its one of the things that we noticed this year and made changes to, the membership thing. We cannot say that we are in the same sit as the likes of HSCC, CSCC etc we are not, but, we did have a "membership" fee but have now done away with it as a seperate entity, membership is free with entry to the 360 or indeed the support races, this does away with all that paying here there and everywhere and even though we only do one event, if we were to do any others, we would do the same thing. Its easy for us though because as I have said, we dont have all the end of year things and dinner dances etc we have a nice website (award nominated I might add) and we have the 360 forum on here which is open to anyone who has raced or intends to race with us so I guess if we are the "EasyJet" of Motorsport then I am happy with that so long as our CUSTOMERS are happy and I look forward to opening new Endurance destinations in the future....

Shall we start a Pre Paid Credit card booking service and make you pay by it or else!!! ha ha ONLY JOKING!.
Old 5 Oct 2011, 11:14 (Ref:2966048)   #13
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
As far as the end of year things go let the main club put that on and also give the awards as they aready do. Do we really need a trophey for coming 2nd or third in class in a field of three class runners? Its meaningless why bother.
Old 5 Oct 2011, 11:17 (Ref:2966049)   #14
MartinSmith
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Essex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman View Post
As far as the end of year things go let the main club put that on and also give the awards as they aready do. Do we really need a trophey for coming 2nd or third in class in a field of three class runners? Its meaningless why bother.
Thats why we only do overall 1st 2nd and third then "best in class"
Old 5 Oct 2011, 11:31 (Ref:2966055)   #15
ascona i2000
Racer

ascona i2000 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman View Post
Its a real problem that needs addressing. I can live without the Barbys, the newsletters I seldom read, the expensive shows where you get a dozen enquires all weekend, The fancy support vehicle (why do we need this??), the expensive decals, the end of season awards, the end of season do unless its self financing the lot and I can also live without the additional hundred quid to join ontop of the main clubs membership fee. Do away with all the unneccessaries, have a nice club website and forum, all members contacted by email or text and that hundred quid could be £25 which no one would mind. Also any sponsorship money goes into the pot for the drivers.
Al, as i have said many times before, what is the need for barbies, very high priced club van which sits for 355 of 365 days a year, and the list could go on. I have felt for some time that if a token amount of prize money was put in to a championship and heres the key "PROMOTE IT PROPERLY" it would pay dividends in increased entries. Just a little something back to the drivers in a world where all we do is shell out and shell out. In this day and age prize money is totally unheard of, i think it may prick alot of peoples ears up. Risky, maybe, but what isnt...
Old 5 Oct 2011, 12:58 (Ref:2966090)   #16
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
I prefer start money myself Dave for obvious reasons as that way effort for those who can get a car on the grid goes rewarded where ever you finish. Its better than knocking a bit off the entry although it looks like its the same thing. The club used to pay those women a grand a time to put on food, why? OK we are doing it ourselves now but I think its a big ask for drivers wifes to put it on and I wouldnt loose and sleep if it was dropped. At the end of the day if I want a burger I will go and buy one. Thank God they have dropped that silly full colour magazine that the print was so small I couldnt read it even with reading glasses and it always ended up in the bin so maybe things are improving as that was a serious expense and for what?
Old 5 Oct 2011, 13:21 (Ref:2966097)   #17
simon drabble
Veteran

sadly start money is a very otdated notion and not seen probably for over 20 years but how about finishing money... especially in endurance races. Does two things - moderates driving standards and also tempers the more over developed engines.....
Old 5 Oct 2011, 14:08 (Ref:2966112)   #18
ascona i2000
Racer

ascona i2000 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon drabble View Post
sadly start money is a very otdated notion and not seen probably for over 20 years but how about finishing money... especially in endurance races. Does two things - moderates driving standards and also tempers the more over developed engines.....
mmm, not a bad thought there...
Old 5 Oct 2011, 14:37 (Ref:2966122)   #19
tim dodwell
Racer

tim dodwell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We had finishing money in the Road Saloons whilst I was involved, and it certainly seemed to work - driving standards were better (not perfect - nothing ever is), and most people did seem to moderate their engine development.
Certainly agree with cutting out the frills - most competitors have Email/internet access, so no newsletter costs, we do not need club support vehicles (a tent would do), and dinner dances/barbies should be self-financing.
Personally, I think the clubs on the whole do a good job - and we could not do without them.
Finally, I think it is time the circuit owners started helping out by lowering their charges - if club motorsport were to drop too much, they would suffer in the end (as even track days would lose their appeal).
Old 5 Oct 2011, 16:48 (Ref:2966174)   #20
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Yep sounds like a plan!
Old 7 Oct 2011, 11:07 (Ref:2967069)   #21
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Just been told CTCRC have made enourmous savings this last season, the mag is now distrinuted electronically, the Barby costs have been slashed to a pittance thanks to drivers wifes assistance so one club at least has got their acts together.
Old 8 Oct 2011, 16:47 (Ref:2967612)   #22
rogerwills
Veteran

New Zealand
London
rogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaireSmith View Post
the "EasyJet" of Motorsport
Charge an extra few quid to start near the front - that would prove popular for sure!
Old 8 Oct 2011, 17:28 (Ref:2967634)   #23
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerwills View Post
Charge an extra few quid to start near the front - that would prove popular for sure!
As a 'front runner' that's easy for you to say!

FTAOD - meant in the kindest way

Last edited by johngee; 8 Oct 2011 at 17:40.
Old 8 Oct 2011, 17:54 (Ref:2967648)   #24
smokystove
Racer

United States
BERLIN, GERMANY
smokystove should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerwills View Post
But charging for "excess baggage" weight may not